How hard is it to get a dev job at a big tech company?

how hard is it to get a dev job at a big tech company?

Attached: 1533769954697.jpg (732x658, 106K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/haseebr/competitive-programming/tree/master/Materials
stanford.edu/class/cs97si/
wsj.com/articles/youtube-hiring-for-some-positions-excluded-white-and-asian-males-lawsuit-says-1519948013
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's close to impossible as a straight white male.

I got a job at red hat as a straight white male (male). Don't let the media scare you

But is it harder to get EE job in some SIEMENS or International Rectumfrier?

>straight white male.
let's say I am non-binary and queer. how do I let them know? do I put that on my resume or something

>how hard is it to get a job
hard for you

If you got great credentials, its obviously easier to get hired at a big company since they got more vacancies and maybe even money to hire skilled people they don't imminently need.

Not very, but their hiring process is usually retarded.

If you mean microsoft fb good apple etc its very straight forward.

Be able to do half the medium difficulty questions on leetcode or hackerrank. That will make you have like a 50% chance of surviving the 5 ish interviews.

Then you just need to be in college or have work experience. They dont only hire Rockstars im p avg 2.7gpa cs student with no cs hobbies.

Do it faggot newgrad offers start at 120k

just dye your hair a funky color before the interview

>Be able to do half the medium difficulty questions on leetcode or hackerrank.
how long does it take to git gud at leetcode?

Starting from what?

If starting totally fresh and you can ask a friend dumb syntax and environment questions i think 20hours a week for a year of practice could do it for most people.

Prolly 3 months getting good at basic syntax and getting your environment setup. Then like 9 months on algorithms and data structures.

If you already know of hashtables and have used them you probably know enough to do it in 3 months of 20 hours a week.

I'm at the end of a CS degree. so I've been through 1 upper div algo class and 1 grad level data structures class. but I still struggle with leetcode mediums and hards.
>3 months of 20 hours a week.
holy absolute fuck.

Oh i meant if someone only barely did data structures.

For you 1 month. Maybe 2 weeks.

So is Red Hat red pilled?

Use this
github.com/haseebr/competitive-programming/tree/master/Materials
Begin easy book with aplications but no hard problems or formal proof.
Algorithhms 4th Edition by Robert Sedgewick
Begin formal proof book about how to solver algorithms problems, hard problems.

Introduction to Algorithms by Udi Manber

stanford.edu/class/cs97si/
This begin notes very nice about algortihms problems.

couldn't any straight white male do this and be guaranteed a job that will fix his carreer forever? Surely user isn't *that* averse to grabbing some blue hair dye and cutting his hair a week after he's been hired, right?

Easy, I can barely code and I got an interview and a job at Microsoft.

But I am a half black and half Hispanic woman(male).

Don't believe me, the building I had my interview in was building 111 and they have a cool snack room behind the glass doors. The lobby had like a dead mouse hat and an xbox 360 or some shit.

>But I am a half black and half Hispanic woman(male).
was this on your resume? if not, how'd you leverage it

The non-meme answer is that those big companies can afford to be pretty picky with who they hire, so the interviews are usually pretty grueling and they have you running in circles with the number of interviews too. If you flunk the interview, you can always say to yourself that its not that you suck, they're just out to get straight white males.

Well my name is legally female and I put all the ethnic clubs I was in during college. Although a lot of project mangers tell me I am the prefect person to hire because while I wasn't a 4.0 student I was involved a lot of clubs and I know how to socialize. It may shock a lot of people on Jow Forums, but no one cares if you have a 4.0 or some high gpa irl. What is most important is being able to do a project with other people and doing it fast. If all you care about is perfection and doing everything by the book you will never make it in the real world. Well unless you are so genius it doesn't matter but if you were you wouldn't be reading what a retarded tranny who at least in part got hired for a job because of her skin color and having the balls to wear a dress to an interview.

Wrong, they will hire bodies as long as they mesh with the company. Maybe as devs in title only though.

a couple a day for a couple of weeks with cs background. you should be able to do most 'easy' ones quickly. onsites will be those and mediums with a little twist. Also adding some extra features to common datastructures. Only time I got a hard one was on a google phone screen (count islands in water as you add them) but you arent expected to finish

Other user here asking

I want to try and be the 3D-modeller (the person who makes 3D models, environment and animation). I've already picked up Blender courses on Udemy considering all of these aspects, is there anything else I need to focus on?

I feel like I can be passionate about it, but I'm not going to lie I also want to work in that sphere, so any advice would be appreciated.

Attached: image.jpg (640x480, 359K)

They'll fire you as soon as you show you can actually code

All 3D artist I know usually had arts,graphic design or fail architect degree but almost all self taught 3D software design,animation,materials and build huge portafolio very visual, some YouTube videos,galleries.

Learn to draw use Loomis books, learn some design or superficial architecture, build a lot projects cars,characters,build,houses,sci fi.

had good guide.

Watch a lot tutorial blender on YouTube.

Microsoft, Apple, LinkedIn, etc should be pretty easy. You can be a retard and only pass a few leetcode mediums and get a newgrad offer.

Google, Facebook, Netflix, Uber, etc are going to roast your pansy ass. Git gud regardless of race/gender.

I really want to know what kind of tech job she will do.

If you actually know what you're doing its easy. if you don't then you might want to become trans

Probably some kind of developer outreach or support for their products.

mfw I never paid for a microsoft product

Attached: 94f.png (800x585, 114K)

>If all you care about is perfection and doing everything by the book you will never make it in the real world.

Code is rarely perfect and rarely done by the book.

>What is most important is being able to do a project with other people and doing it fast.

Speed shouldn't only be the consideration. Do things too fast and you'll just end up with unknown bugs and performance issues.

its even harder for asians

>Be able to do half the medium difficulty questions on leetcode
Sounds like a pretty useful website but aren't the questions a little too easy?
>medium
>Given a linked list, remove the n-th node from the end of list and return its head.
The hard ones look challenging enough but medium and earlier look simple. I wouldn't consider myself a particularly good programmer either.

Yeah, no fucking joke. Asians have it the hardest with getting into a great college or an important job. They are one of the smallest minority groups in America and they fucking excel over everyone else lmao.

Wasn't there a gif showing that attempted diversity hires in one of the big tech companies is just about replacing white men with asians? It went through a graph of the diversity of the company over a few years and that was basically the only change.

Easy as fuck, if you know what you’re doing.

I live in a third world country but we have Intel, IBM, Oracle and many other big companies here.
Still a Software Engineer Student, but me and my pals started working for Intel, IBM; just a few weeks ago my buddy got a call from Facebook and will be relocating to the USA. We are still 1yr away from graduation.

Bottom line, it’s all about job experience, dedication and having your resume online.

wsj.com/articles/youtube-hiring-for-some-positions-excluded-white-and-asian-males-lawsuit-says-1519948013

I keep flunking job interviews, it's either I straight up fail in their tests or just fail to show up. I missed many opportunities.

>I live in a third world country
India?
They don't hire you because you good, they hire you because you're cheap.

time to go chris-chan

What does that baboon do? Interaction engineer? Diversity warden?

You mean Fujitsu? I worked there for years.
Siemens is a license nowadays, not a company.

>evangelist
>experience engineer
>interaction engineer
>diversity officer
>chief diversity officer
Pick one.

Sounds like a lack of preparation problem honestly

the tech industry isn't as swarmed with diversity hires and pajeets yet.

lol worst place to ask for such advice

>fat black woman
>liberal white woman
>hijab muslim woman
lol the (un)holy trinity

Asians are effectively considered white when it comes to diversity effort. Asians are over-represented by 300% as compared to whites.

just fucking say you're latino then you stupid faggot retard stop trying to be honest about your race when you can just lie

I'll bet all of them are working as 'community managers' or some shit like that.

how do greedy jew companies make money off substandard labor like those women who work has diversity engineers or other meme jobs? How the FUCK can they sustain it?

How does that work if they have eyeballs? They know you're lying by seeing you, the only Latinos that look white are Tejanos.

Beg to differ. Was just yesterday at a fuckhueg Siemens building.

t. Yuropoor

a) Most consumers are retarded cattle.
b) They still have ridiculous amounts of talents to compensate.
c) Lack of competition.

Asians are honorary white males when it comes to hiring them or accepting them into universities

I remember their was this article called "the myth of American meritocracy", it's crazy how underrepresented asians are in college (even with this disadvantage there still so many). Jews are extremely overreprested in elite colleges they make up 6% of top test scorers but make up 20-30% in elite schools (jews are allowed to use laws meant for blacks). Schools and businesses have clear quotas that discriminate against whites and asians.

Those are actually mentally ill men

Coock is fagging Google up as we speak.

Funny because 4/5 software devs in Seattle are men.
That's an actual statistic.

Yeah, there are tons of Siemens buildings in Germany but they are all rented for different companies.

pretend your gay and get a deep fake tan

>Implying the average American isn't a mutt that could pass for multiple races

I'm a straight white male and I work at a large tech company. It took 4 years of education and 4 more building a quality CV. Plus being a normal, read, not a fucking autist. Oh and having interests outside of tech, that's actually what got me my current job.

>Oh and having interests outside of tech, that's actually what got me my current job.
what the hell? Did you and the interviewer bond over the latest Mission Impossible film? How is this relevant

What an autistic reply.
They want to know you're not a school shooter in the making, participating in clubs, sports, etc. goes a long way.

so basically a screen for whether you're an outgoing normie or not
fucking lol sounds like hell, I find sports boring and clubs and shit sound like hell since I don't get along with other inbreds in this world.

I work at Microsoft and most of our programmers, as far as I can tell, are all in India anyways.

I pretend to be latino so it's pretty easy for me to get jobs because my name sounds brown and I have a white nerd work ethic and intellect.

Jeez you really are stupid. If you said 30 minutes a day for a year then I would agree but this is some odd level of stupid or you never learned how to study.

You could also just say you're pansexual and gender fluid and you just so happens to be in a relationship with a woman and identify as a man that day.

nobody hires slackers

cheap or not, hard work pays off

Attached: image.jpg (398x369, 152K)

>nobody hires slackers
you've never been on any business campus for any period of time, grocery boy

If you get off your pedestal and stop hating everyone around you then you might enjoy those things a little more. Even introverted autists have activities they get together and do. You're exactly the kind of idiot the normie screen is there to filter out.

>t. outgoing cyborg working embedded dev

for you impossible

everybody else
not that hard

How long is this "woman in tech" meme gonna last ?

Nobody really cares if you are a dude or not as long you do your work.

Dye your hair purple and tell then you used to be (opposite gender) and it's pretty easy

>How long is this "woman in tech" meme gonna last ?
Until the bust, then we blame it on women in tech and get rid of HR all together.

How many years has the average modern artist spent studying the art of music? Did they study under any other musicians? Are their songs just endless repeats of the same three notes and 2 sentences?
Can they tell me the difference between Ionian, Dorian, and Mixolydian modes? How about the difference of the keys of A Major and f# minor? How about a Coda?
You see its more than the instrument, the very way of composing music has gone from "How do we inspire emotion and provoke thought from our listeners?" to "Let's just do a catchy tune, throw in some shitty lyrics, and also crank the bass to 11"
Have any of you ever heard the album "Trout Mask Replica" by Captain Beefheart? Probably not. I am infinitely superior to you neckbeards in every single way and my superior taste in music attests to that. I'll bet you lack even the basic ear training necessary to appreciate this Cadillac of the arts.

You will all repose forever in your mother's basement, autistically yelling at your computer screens while the noise of some stupid primitive electronic drum music pounds ominously in the background, screeching for your mother to bring you more tendies. I, meanwhile, will be reclining in perfect ease on my plush leather sofa, sipping a dry martini and listenting to the soothing refrains of the noble Captain Beefheart, crooning away the sounds of the human soul as every woman you have ever loved from afar slobbers on my superior schlong in ways you can only imagine.

Enjoy your virginity, neckbeards.

leetcode on and off for 4 months and you'll get in and start making 200-400k depending on experience.

Attached: 1516773680649.png (664x840, 149K)

but I'm an introvert Chad and I don't like to hang out with ugly autists who sperg around women and live deadend lives
I just fuck women and hang out with my close group of friends I've known from school

> grocery boy
try harder

I forgot everyone here in /g is a millionaire, talented entrepreneur with years of working experience

fuck me for pointing out the obvious

stay classy /g

hard if your not a minority, illegal, a woman, or black.

Depends. Some companies you need to graduate from MIT, Stanford, Ivy Leage, Carnegie Mellon, etc. just to get your foot in the door. Apparently that's what Google was like in the 2000s.

I've applied (and worked at) big name companies that let anyone interview as long as they passed an automated coding challenge. Heck, Facebook and Uber did this. They're usually pretty straightforward DP problems.

Whiteboard interviews can be hit or miss. You kinda have to get in the rhythm of what to expect in the interviews. I struggled pretty bad my freshman year at whiteboard interviewing, but I just kept applying getting interviewing practice. By my sophomore year I think I got comfortable at whiteboard interviewing and it opened lots of doors.

A lot of whiteboard interviews are way simpler than they often let on. I've only seen one that required complex data structure like a Bloom filter once. Usually the hardest interviews are just dynamic programming or simple concurrency (like implement a reader-writer lock from a mutex primtive). No-one has ever asked me to solve something like a network flow problem.

Depends. At my company, if you come from a "non-traditional background" (the term we use for either new grads that were non-computing related majors, self-taught people, or people who went coding boot camps) you are automatically rejected if you aren't diverse.

Also, if you're diverse you get two chances to pass the phone screen, otherwise you need to pass on your first try.

But it is flooded with greenfags, that believe, that human is not a nature.
What is better to study: EE or CS or ME or AE or CE?

No we discussed my passion/experience with photography, which happens to be the main business of the company, but not what I'd be working with.

A copypasta is born

Atleast in Germany it's not to hard if you put in the work

Which country?
Link your github or something

Wear a rainbow colored tie and bring a bottle of onions at the interview.

Are you in Boston? I see red hat guys a lot on the subway

>we're here to create the change we want to see
why are leftists so militant at every thing they do? why can't they just get a job? is it because politics is the only thing giving their lives meaning?

I've honestly never even been asked a whiteboard question that was similar to a leetcode style hard question in an interview. Just recently started looking for a new job and had an onsite with google in May before I was preparing, they were all medium difficulty. After a couple months I'm able to solve 90% of the ones on that level. Leetcode hards are usually not that much harder in terms of raw difficulty, they seem more like just added complexity in terms of system design or combining multiple mediums.

so you failed the Google interview?

Easier than getting a job at a good small tech company, but harder than getting a job at at a non tech company.

Good jobs at large tech companies are hard to get, but they hire plenty of people to grind through. Large non tech companies, like insurance companies or sales companies, how programmers by the cattle car. They also treat them accordingly.

Why would you want to tho? When the tech bubble explodes within the coming months you'll be laid off anyway. The autists who think they'll be coding as a "career" for the next 20-30 years at Google or other meme onion company literally have single-digit IQ.

Attached: thinking-face.png (256x256, 53K)

5 years is enough for retirement.

Yea, but onions took out huge mortgages + car payments and think the gravy train will run forever.

Nope. Plenty of people work there with the intention of saving as much as they can and moving to somewhere cheaper.