Attached: start2.jpg (646x319, 35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

openbsd.org/innovations.html
youtube.com/watch?v=b9ifQvQCO7Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Attached: 10420277.jpg (600x900, 27K)

Attached: linux-logo.jpg (430x316, 54K)

I still work with it daily.
Is a frequently used OS for Motorola devices in warehousing and retail.

4/10

You may hate it, but that precisely means it's not forgotten good sir.

Attached: 500px-PCLinuxOS_logo.svg.png (500x500, 37K)

Nothing of value was lost.

Os/2

Attached: Windows-Vista-ISO-Download-Bootable-32-Bit-64-Bit.jpg (625x715, 44K)

I unironically liked vista. I miss 2007.

BSD

OpenBSD is a meme
>Filesystem
default FS doesn't even support SSD TRIM, and I don't think OpenBSD supports anything modern like ZFS or BTRFS.
>Security
"Only two remote holes in the default install!!!!!!!"
Yay!
I hope you realize that this literally only applies to a base system install with absolutely no packages added. In other words, not exactly representative or meaningful towards... anything really
>Sustainability
A few years ago, OpenBSD was actually in danger of shutting down because they couldn't keep the fucking lights on. How could anyone see this as a system they could rely on, when it could be in danger of ending at any time?
>Standards-compliance
"B-But OpenBSD is written in strictly standards-compliant C! Clearly that's better than muh GNU virus!"
So you're not allowed to create extensions to the standard? You should only implement the standard and nothing more? Keep in mind that this is nothing like EEE, as the GNU extensions are Free Software, with freely available source code, as opposed to proprietary shite. People should be allowed to innovate and improve things.
If you're gonna be anal about standards-compliance, then why let people make their own implementations anyway? Why not have the standards organizations make one C implementation and force everyone to use it?

Attached: thicc.jpg (442x293, 28K)

Attached: Mscement.png (400x252, 74K)

Vista is the only windows with good design, i don't know why microsoft decided to change everything.

That'd not an OS. It's just a kernel.

Windows CE runs the Sega Dreamcast

>OpenBSD is a meme
openbsd.org/innovations.html
A pretty important meme that is.
>no SSD TRIM
Not only it is usually a not issue, but compromises security when full-disk encryption is used.
>this literally only applies to a base system
Indeed. But OpenBSD has a fairly large default installation which include routing and vm daemon, web and email server, vm daemon, et al. Also, don't forget the kernel itself. Have you checked how many vulnerabilities Linux alone has?
>A few years ago, OpenBSD was actually in danger of shutting down
Those are development costs, not relevant to the operating system's general sustainability.
>So you're not allowed to create extensions to the standard?
Go ahead and do it. Standards though are good for code quality and portability.

Attached: chad_openbsd.jpg (2518x1024, 392K)

Attached: 220px-Tux.png (220x261, 39K)

Boah Brudi! Das ist ein verdammt alter Witz!!!
Hast du den noch aus deiner Diskettenbox ⬛ rausgekramt? /

es fehlt noch das lachschon.de watermark

lach

Attached: 1529009556181.jpg (441x265, 10K)

wtf is this kraut speak

this thing would sometimes crash just because the mouse cursor was moved

>Ctrl + F longhorn
>0 results
well it's also the start of the thread
youtube.com/watch?v=b9ifQvQCO7Y

I actually had forgotten about that.

And also about pic related.

Attached: Yellow_Dog_Linux_(icon).png (128x128, 25K)

Microsoft Midori

Attached: 1532068412444.png (620x658, 272K)

Longhorn is the codename for Vista

that version I posted is actually a different one that was scrapped as Microsoft basically tore down everything and starting back from the foundations

Fucsia

I think there's a typo in your picture.

Attached: Windows Mistake Edition.jpg (1900x1200, 618K)

Unironically the best mobile OS I have ever used.
Refreshing style (fuck that static grid of icons), dynamic content where it matters, fast even on toasters and ergonomics were top-notch. The pivot-oriented navigation made the phone a breeze to use with my left-handedness and manlet hands (fuck hamburger menus).
Too bad Microsoft somehow always fucks everything it creates up.

Attached: windowsphone81.jpg (1200x900, 172K)

Not forgotten, intentionally repressed.

Actually a great easy-to-use systemd-free distro.

Wasn't it because of feature creep?

yes

Knoppix was my first Linux distro back in the day. Felt like such a hackerman at university when the multicolour startup scrolling happened

Attached: KNOPPIX_booting.png (641x515, 23K)

my first too, plus it was most popular (first?) liveboot
i remember using it from some cheap magazine.

Millennials ruining everything

IRIX was unironically one of the best operating systems I ever used. Got to use it in the mid 2000s and used to have some SGI workstations myself. Everything from the file manager to the UI sounds was so polished.

Attached: screen.1.big.jpg (1280x1024, 248K)

Attached: dreamshell.png (500x375, 187K)

Attached: 6796_1.jpg (1024x768, 126K)

They're reminiscing about German 9gag

Attached: screen.jpg (1600x1200, 322K)

I remember SkyOS. I think even the website is offline as of a few months ago.

Attached: windows meme.png (1024x640, 161K)

Windows 1.0-3.1

Attached: Windows2.0.png (640x480, 13K)

Didn't that one use GPLd shit without open sourcing?
Those aren't operating systems.

Yeah, technically they're just graphical shells for DOS, but they provide a full user interface with programs, so on the surface they're a lot like OSs.

>Didn't that one use GPLd shit without open sourcing?
No, we never used any GPL code in it. Freetards spent an absurd amount of time using diff tools to compare binaries. In some spots there was a match, and they made assblasted autistic rants all over the forum. So we got together with the devs and showed them the source which had a completely difference layout and comments, but which compiled to the same binary as the freetard apps. They weren't even the same fucking apps either.

I would love to use IRIX, but the problem is it only runs on the MIPS architecture, so I would have to shell out thousands of dollars for an SGI workstation, and I simply don't have that kind of money.

I think HP or somebody owns the source. You could petition them to open it up but I don't think they would. On the one in a million chance it happened, you'd basically get the window manager and some apps out of it. The kernel is a heavily modified version of SysV Unix with ancient BSD extensions and networking. Most of the bootloader and lower pieces of the OS are pure MIPS assembly, which isn't portable to Intel platforms. There's also the issue of the PROM firmware which uses SASH to even run those loaders, so basically the whole core OS is utterly worthless as far as portability goes.

I've tried to reverse engineer parts of the IRIX base system and I know it's futile. The applications on the other hand would be interesting to dig into to see if I could get some sort of workable source out of. But even then I'd be better off forking a current Linux file manager and stuff and rewriting most of it to get it to look the way I want, then adding some of the original SGI libraries for shit like the scroll wheel. Those would also need to be picked apart unless I can find the API docs for IRIX which are probably long gone.

Go ahead and buy an SGI workstation though. The low end O2s are like 200 bucks on eBay. Just keep in mind it won't be useful for anything other than dicking around in IRIX.

Or as I've taken to calling it, Windows plus DOS.

If only I could forget it and the PTSD it gave me.

It sucks that it's developer will die of cancer soon and the distro will be buried. It's actually a pretty good distro.

Attached: Apple_NewtonOS.png (266x374, 88K)

$200, wow, I never suspected. Maybe they are in reach after all.

I so want one of those.

I made a toy OS in 2003 or so. Not even I remember the name, so I guess that is truly forgotten.

Can't somebody else just take over development?

Pretty sure nobody will. It's too obscure for anyone to bother.

Rückblickend ist es wesentlich stabiler als Windows 10 heute

There's maxx desktop. It's a port of 4dwm to linux, but only one guy is working on it and it's not open source

Yeah, they're sorta rare but not that expensive unless you want something good for actually running programs. Like a mid range Fuel with an okay graphics board and texture memory goes for upwards of 2 grand, same with any good Tezro. Octanes and such are like 500-900. Indys are maybe 150-300, O2s are 200-400. They aren't really that cheap but still not out of reach even for a NEET with a summer job.

Also, you talked about it being tied to MIPS, as did I. However, many of the MIPS chips used have pretty good emulation in QEMU. The big trick is being able to boot the PROM and emulate graphics hardware, which might be possible if some OpenGL heavy boards can be reverse engineered at some point. The PROM also expects certain hardware configurations to be available, but we don't really know what it wants. It at least wants the graphics to work, so that's the starting point. Emulation isn't easy but definitely possible, so keep your eyes peeled.

MaXX isn't even a port of 4Dwm. It's some other window manager with a few SGI libraries and some decent configs that uses some parts of the Motif Window Manager at the very least. The dev is also a prick for abandoning the project without notifying anyone of what's going on, so I'm assuming Eric is just being a lazy cunt and it pisses me off. Some guy keeps putty okay posts on the forum and the dev rarely responds, and I think the forum is dead now. The project is really shit, especially with the arbitrary 64-bit lockin. Would be great to use on 32-bit shitboxes, but Eric says we can't have nice things.

>It's some other window manager with a few SGI libraries and some decent configs that uses some parts of the Motif Window Manager at the very least.
Isn't that pretty much what 4dwm was anyway?

No, not at all. It was a custom X window manager that was built by SGI that used their version of the Motif toolkit. The MaXX version is other window managers marketed as a 4Dwm fork. It incorporates some of the shell commands like "tellwm" but it does so though executable scripts under the bin64 directory, and those scripts basically translate into other commands for whatever window manager that MaXX really uses. Some might call it a hackjob and I personally think it's a nice little trick, but it's still not 4Dwm.

I have no issue with the software itself aside from the MIA dev and the lack of sources and docs, but my real gripe is the deceptive advertising.