Is IT a good choice for a brainlet? Or is CS just as easy?

Is IT a good choice for a brainlet? Or is CS just as easy?

Attached: brain_dead.jpg (306x423, 33K)

IT is all nerd shit dude, it's information technology ffs.

Well, I am a nerd.

Well, then you are in. Brainlet or not. Might not be a good one, but then again in this field, most are absolutely shit.

Most what are shit? Jobs? Why do you say that?

It seems that everybody who did not study or teach CS has no idea what CS actually is. "Oh, you study CS? Then you must be able to fix my Windows problem."

CS is a form of mathematics that deals with the acquisition, processing and output of data. Studying CS is NOT learning how to program. That is just one introductory course of many classes. CS is weird shit maths. Like being able to prove your program is correct. Like being able to prove your program can alway finish in n amount of time or space. Like knowing and proving what problems can't be solved, not even with supercomputers and when you throw money at it. Like finding a way for that also that is not a solution, but nearly as good as one. Like figuring out how to approach stuff that nobody has approached before you.

In short, CS is like architecture and programming is like being a brick layer. It's somewhat related, but one thing doesn't nearly approach the other.

What the fuck are you talking about
My full ride programming class just tells me how to program shit in C++, C# etc with maybe a bit of easy math classes involved

I'm talking about university level computer science. We weed out half the students by semester two who started with the notion that it's just programming and stuff. It's not.

CS is just another name for discrete math.
Hint: if your uni isn't in top 10, your post is irrelevant.

It's become a bit more than that, but yes, the kernel is discrete mathematics and logic. However it is not just pure mathematics, you also have to deal with real world constraints, like computing in real time, with constrained resources (very small systems like the ones built into cars or washing machines), dealing with huge amounts of data, recognizing data through optical or audio input, formulating incomplete knowledge and deriving information from that, and approaching the barriers of what's physically possible on a chip.

Obviously, there's some continuous math because most real world systems/problems are of continuous nature and discretization isn't always possible, but the bulk of the theory in CS is discrete, of combinatorial nature - automata theory, complexity theory, algorithm design, formal verification, and so on and so forth. Pretty much every "pure CS" area is exclusively discrete, while the areas that interplay with physics or real world do get to use some continuous abstractions, like in machine learning (which is nothing else than linear/nonlinear optimization, but w/e CS people like to give buzzwords to old concepts) or DSP.

"Discrete math" is just another name for a hodgepodge of mostly non-analytic mathematical topics that are maybe related.

Discrete math is a name for combinatorics, set theory, number theory, information theory, logic and linear algebra.
It's not just "non-analytical topics". Category theory is non-analytical and i wouldn't dare call it part of discrete math, same for combinatorial topology, commutative or homological algebra and so on.

And did I say all non-analytical topics are referred to as discrete math? No.

Number theory in discrete math is of analytical nature. You won't find many CS people doing algebraic number theory beyond elementary level.

And I also said _mostly_ non-analytic topics. Learn to read already.

It's the only choice for brainlets.

Applied CS is programming (or software engineering) which is like designing engines, where IT is like being an auto mechanic.

>Studying CS is NOT learning how to program. That is just one introductory course of many classes. CS is weird shit maths.
The absolute state of American education. Jesus fucking Christ.

Yes

>"Oh, you study CS? Then you must be able to fix my Windows problem."
To be fair, this is very likely true.

A typical CS student is almost certainly far more computer savvy than the general population.

>combinatorics, set theory, number theory, information theory, logic and linear algebra
>linear algebra
one of these is not like the others

And all of those are discrete math, i also forgot measure theory for potatoes, also known as probability.

>CS is a form of mathematics

Attached: 1513067679808.png (836x1136, 297K)