/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: dress feet headphones shizuma_yoshinori.jpg (2079x3000, 1.68M)

Other urls found in this thread:

smile.amazon.com/dp/B015ZDH16W/ref=twister_B017TQXPCM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
ebay.com/itm/6-35mm-Male-to-3-5mm-3-Pole-Male-Repair-headphone-Jack-Plug-Metal-Audio-Solder/310637049553
youtu.be/RUxgqJ4sqzM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

WILLIAM THE SON OF SCHIIT SHILL HAS BEEN CURSED

BUY SCHIIT

Attached: deruntermensch.jpg (613x595, 352K)

So what's everyone's portable setup like?

Do you people use decent IEMs on your commute?

Attached: 1412199682820.png (339x261, 93K)

Why do you ask this every thread?

'cause I like to know what people use since I'm looking into the topic for stuff to buy.

Wouldn't filling the form and asking for advice on what to buy be more practical?
Or maybe cheking some forums online to see what people already posted about what they have and check those models?
You compile a list and ask Anons what they think about it too i guess.

>>Jow Forumszreviews

Z for ”Zeos”

Attached: E29D9931-9247-4908-A28A-1DA9869533A8.jpg (1157x284, 84K)

Idol trash here. What's your setup like, user?

Attached: 1513634189296.png (1080x1920, 2.46M)

What’s the best value/quality Grado headphone?

I want to lick her feet

If based Chinks can make $100 dacs that are better than $2000 Schiit, why can’t they make equally awesome cheap headphones?

its not a her
its just ink

chifiman's new headphone
build quality looks better
can I get the ananda or just skip whatever they made

Attached: 246531_1454621951.jpg (175x168, 10K)

Is it worth upgrading to balanced cable or is it just a meme

I wouldn't take the risk. Let others try it.

>Budget: 200 AUD
>Location AU
>Source: Phone for music and podcasts
>Type of headphone: Over ear Wireless with noise canceling
>Open or closed: Closed
>Comfort level: ok
>Sound signature: Neutral
>Past headphones: m50s

>closed
>neutral
>bluetooth
Good luck.

>Budget
200 dollars but the cheaper the better. ideally 100 bucks
>Location
usa
>Source
PC
>Type of headphone
full sized, will use for gaming and music. durability is biggest factor for me
>Open or closed
open
>Comfort level
very comfy, no modification necessary unless the headphones are already cheap
>Sound signature
neutral-ish. a little bit of color is okay
>Past headphones
shitty gaymur headsets

>will use for gaming and music
>open
>neutral
>durability is biggest factor for me
Then spend more, not less, and get HD600.

Attached: 1517190550047.png (1000x1000, 631K)

Grado SR80e

>Suggestion Grado garbage

>durability
*SNAP*

Attached: 20180806_173247.jpg (3264x1836, 1.21M)

Any suggestions other than m40x?
>

>
Thanks

Is there a bluetooth ANC headphone better than QC35? Budget is up to USD $1000.

if you like the m50x then why not stick with them? they're a solid pair. I assume you want something "commercial" with the colored bass.
smile.amazon.com/dp/B015ZDH16W/ref=twister_B017TQXPCM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
these might be worth a look but I've no clue if they're better than the m50x in any way. there are noisecanceling/bluetooth variants as well, more expensively of course

Seems I'm going to need to replace the jack on my DT880s. Is there a specific replacement I should buy or should I just go with whatever looks popular on amazon?

I'm not really big in to all of this but could use some help.

I like my HD598's but I was wondering if there is such a thing as a in line battery powered noise canceling device I could use with them. (hopefully

Just stay away from the bottom-of-the-barrel cheapest (chink) shit and you should be fine.
Can't go wrong with Neutrik / Rean stuff.
If you want a plug with screw-on 6.3mm adapter, see if there's these on Amazon - good stuff, I've re-terminated several of my headphones with these:
ebay.com/itm/6-35mm-Male-to-3-5mm-3-Pole-Male-Repair-headphone-Jack-Plug-Metal-Audio-Solder/310637049553

I sold my m50x immediately after listening to dt 770 pro. Gonna pick up 80 ohm version now.

looking for an headphone with bluetooth and (optional) detachable wire

>Budget
Source
android phone/laptop

>Type of headphone
IEM

>Open or closed
closed

>Comfort level
comfort >sound quality (if i can only pick one)

shozy hibiki mk2

Guys I have a chance to buy sr60i and sr80i half their prices. I am headphone retard whats the difference between these 2? Should I pay more for sr80i or they aren't worth it?

>I am headphone retard whats the difference between these 2?
Exactly 20.

>sr60i and sr80i half their prices.
Of MSRP or what? What's the price difference we're talking about? Something more akin to $79 vs. $99 in the US or closer to the ridiculous price fixing shenanigans of 119€ vs. 169€ like here in Funland?
If it's the former, no harm in going for the SR80. If more like the latter, I'd say get the SR60, as the two are really similar sounding, with identical build.

I just never had any experience with Grado and want to hear honest opinion from someone who has been using them for years

Yea, It's around 119€ vs. 169€ but I don't even mind paying more for sr80 I just want to know what i'm paying for

How are the 660s? Have you used the 600s?

90% sure it's a meme, although I don't know too much about it.

if it's not a meme then I'll upgrade to it in a heartbeat

don't buy either, they're not even worth half of their price. Just get the Takstar Pro 82 instead.

t. owned the supposadly "better" SR80e and threw it away for my takstar pro 82.

Give them some time user. I'd say that making a transparent DAC is more formulaic than headphones. Lots more R&D.

Well, I've had them for years and they broke and I figure it's time to try something new but still similar, maybe with a slightly better sound stage

Thanks

What are objectively the most comfortable headphones in any price range?

Buy Topping D50

It measured so well it blew my leggings off!

>inb4 i’m waiting for it to arrive

Attached: 6A3FB827-260D-4044-9A5B-06F6F0310844.jpg (192x192, 15K)

Still waiting too my dood

Attached: evXxyv3b5qLBfPf2fb73-DRT4kvJcgzDyPGcl7Zspuw.png (1024x576, 598K)

Bright, aggressive, lively sound that can sound really shrilly with some records, good for rock but can be meh with stuff like electronic or classical music. Comfort is just barely acceptable. Prestige series (SRxxx) sound mostly the same, Reference series is warmer but very overpriced at default prices. Basically, OK for secondary cans but never get them for daily drivers. SR60 is OK value, but the more expensive ones are worth it only with second-hand pricing.

T: got used RS1i for cheap and love it with rock and jazz, but I’d hate myself if I paid full price for it

>it just arrived but it's sitting in my house
>let me know if youre interested in having it measured

Balanced XLR4 headphone cable is not a meme!

Channel separation is off the charts. Also you need an amp that actually does push-pull to get the full experience. Think of it like tug of war!

Attached: xlr4.jpg (500x500, 53K)

Has Zeos yet reviewed Topping products? Maybe someone should lend them to him for review.

Headphones/speakers are inherently balanced devices. Four connections. Sharing ground between the channels means fuck-all electrically.

Also consider this. The concept of a balanced connection between the amplifier and the transducer only exists for headphone amplifiers. No one in the speaker world gives a shit if their amp shares ground between the channels or not.

Attached: jew-mouse.jpg (604x604, 35K)

>good for rock

only for classical rock, think stuff like The Beatles.

For anything more aggressive, grados are titanically bad with the ultimate mistake being listening to them for Metal

ok, thank you

grado's are trash

the 660S are a worse 58X

Attached: 14222353_1368001519884649_715728159299809842_n.png (644x644, 468K)

not true

>Headphones/speakers are inherently balanced devices. Four connections. Sharing ground between the channels means fuck-all electrically.
If it's a proper balanced system, then it does mean something electrically: noise & interference rejection on top of the increased output power. Now whether either of those offer any real benefits to headphone applications is a another thing, of course.

>No one in the speaker world gives a shit if their amp shares ground between the channels or not. The concept of a balanced connection between the amplifier and the transducer only exists for headphone amplifiers.
Well he speaker world has its believers of picrelated turbo-autism.

Attached: bi-wiring-setup.jpg (750x600, 55K)

With that price difference, go with the SR60 as your first Grado. The difference between the 60 and 80 is *really* subtle.

Feels kind of weird to go against all the "hurr durr treble murder and no base" commenting surrounding Grados everywhere, but I've never found them overly trebly, shrill or fatiguing. Or then it' just that I've somehow only heard the models that aren't like that, I have odd tastes, or I'm just a boomer with hearing loss. Or a combination of all of those...
I first got a used first generation SR60, liked it and was interested in trying out a bit higher tier model. Ended up upgrading to 2nd hand Alessandro MS2i (essentially a slightly tweaked SR325i) that popped up for sale at 150€. Had those for several years now and still loving them. Basically the same sound signature as the SR60, except more refined all round, with clearer treble being the most noticable improvement. Worthy upgrade at that price? Hell yeah! Would I have paid what the MSRP of SR325 is over here (399€ - gotta love that price fixing...)? Absolutely not.

DT880.

Do not buy boomer grades

This is a troll

Grados are garbage, ultrasones are way better.

>The concept of a balanced connection between the amplifier and the transducer only exists for headphone amplifiers. No one in the speaker world gives a shit if their amp shares ground between the channels or not.
honestly it's amazing that
1. headphone autists who fall for less scams in general than speaker autists managed to fall for balanced headphone connections which do literally nothing and can be disproven by the laws of physics
2. speaker manufacturers havent tried to push the balanced cables meme yet

I haven't been on /hpg/ in a while why are shitphones like grados a meme now

Some shitposter must think it's funny.

/hpg/ has waves of posters, it only takes one guy who owns some shit to post about it way more often than would happen on its own. some guy with grados showed up and now he's forcing it

Floor user is gone. Stax were a meme. MDR-MA900 were a meme. HD600 got (and still does) shilled the fuck out of. Topping is a meme. Schiit is an anti-meme.
Flavor of the month. Guess it's going to be Jecklin Floats, AKG K1000, or Sennheiser Surrounder next...

stax always comes back

I got DT770 Pro 80Ohm instead of M50x recently, I find them much better. Bass is still powerful and has good extension but less boomy and exaggerated than on M50x, soundstage is quite impressive for a closed-back design (I find the M50x to sound pretty congested) and they're vastly superior in terms of comfort.

The only advantages M50x has are the removable cable and portable/foldable nature, they're straight-up worse in terms of sound as far as I'm concerned at least.

-open over-ears
-comfortable
-soundstage
-neutral/warm
-under 200
-detachable cable is a plus

I'm in Europe. Been looking at some Sennheisers, wondering if somebody has other suggestions. I'm using them with my laptop and TV

Attached: 409dd2e5fcc8d764d998c4683ba36a69.jpg (640x640, 73K)

grados

thank fren

Warm, open with good sound stage is basically HD650 or HD6XX (they're the same), but 650 is too expensive and I don't think there's an active drop for 6XX.

990 pro

All of which are better than grados.

>that one video where not only could you see the face of his sister but also her cleavage and her super thicc thighs

I just want to cuddle with her.

Well, to specify I've been considering HD579 or 559 or something, they're not as good of course. Maybe I'll just go with those

250Ohm is a bit much for my setup, which is none. Otherwise they seem nice. Unless someone has suggestions for a cheap amp

Attached: 1529463049426.jpg (750x748, 503K)

they're pretty sensitive and run fine off a laptop integrated sound or a phone

AKG K7XX from Massdrop.

Attached: AI7B6065_copy_20170804123428.jpg (955x637, 86K)

>250ohm
>play off phone
beyerdynamic brainlets should be purged

Attached: 1348081488709.jpg (640x480, 46K)

HD600 is neutral with just a hint of warmth. It's gonna be a little more than 200€ but totally worth it. See the reviews.

So if Grados are trash what are top 10 on-ear headphones that cost from 70$ to 100$?

STAX

that'd be stax

alright, thanks but is there so much hate on Grados are they overpriced for their quality? or whats wrong with them?

THEEEEEEEEESEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Attached: audio-goblin.jpg (531x597, 30K)

holy shit he's actually worse than my imagination

>no benefits electrically
Balanced headphone amps use two amps per channel, one positive and one negative. Push-Pull. Not a meme.

>he listens to unbalanced garbage

We get it, you don't understand how electricity works.

Single ended poorfags are getting desperate.

I use balanced though. For the connector. XLR > 1/4

They are easy to drive.

new fostex flagship soon

Attached: fuckmycupsup.png (960x595, 362K)

lol

Rip my wallet. Should I get that one or the HE6se first?

Zune 80gb and Etymotic hf5s.

the cute audio goblin

What video?

Zeos is clearly into cuckolding
youtu.be/RUxgqJ4sqzM

why would people buy a flagship of a low quality headphone brand