What happened to 3d printing? Shills said it was going to be the second industrial revolution...

What happened to 3d printing? Shills said it was going to be the second industrial revolution. Yet the tech just quietly died after people were tricked into buying expensive printers so they can print epic my little pony figurines.

Attached: downloadfile-12.jpg (960x720, 185K)

Other urls found in this thread:

scribd.com/document/117532358/fupopo#
youtube.com/watch?v=fiYr5CnM-Do
youtube.com/watch?v=Li1OQMv0XPo
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_nanothread
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

how many useful things can you think of that are small and made entirely of plastic?

> second industrial revolution

Sorry to break it to you, user, but you are about 150 years late to the party

This user knows what's up.

3d printing is bigger than ever, but that's irrelevant. nothing compared to any revolution
The next biggest boom will be when we can 3d print graphene at the cost of a coffee

>3d printing is dead
Sure kid.

Aren't we about to head into the fourth industrial revolution?
I think OP missed number 2 and 3.

Exactly the same thing as with all tools. Just having an access to tools and possibility to do make something doesn't make normies creative, as painful as it sounds. Just like 75% of Jow Forums bought but never used rpi and the majority of the rest use it as a server at best, or access to cheap wood did not bring IKEA to bankruptcy.

The main problem with 3d printing is that CNC exists and does everything that 3d printing can do faster and better. The only niche for 3d printing is when mechanical durability of product is not important and material is so expensive it cannot be afforded to be wasted.

We already can do that, using consumer grade CD laser printers.

It's growing, it's just lost media attention because the novelty has worn off. Once you can print consumer grade products instead of purchasing them online, then it'll get more attention.

Except it is still a very big deal, just not in the consumer market. It's huge in medical applications and the work with edible filaments so as to make a sort of food replicator is awesome.

lmao

Tell me how a water suspension of graphite magically turns into graphene from 660 nm laser light again? Have there ever been actual studies on this? With actual SEM scans? Even if it does produce graphene, it's probably not actual sheets, more like a granulate.

They published a paper on it.

3D printing is great for one off prototyping and some special shapes that can only be produced additively, it's not for mass production

Prototyping, medical products , aerospace industries, construction..., just to name a few

>medical products , aerospace industries, construction
That's strictly for metal 3D printing, not meme tier plastic printing.

there are printers that actually print homes, google it

If they are so great, why haven't I seen a single one in my life building houses? Oh, it's because they are shit.

i think 3D printing is awesome, bit is too expensive so no every family can have one, which makes less sales and a dying product

>buying expensive printers so they can print epic my little pony figurines
Worth it if you ask me.

The media is run by a small clique of international subversives who don't want people to share naughty images like pic related, or worse yet, actually print them out. And for anyone wondering about the legality of this image, the guy who does the ghost gun thing was allowed to continue distributing schematics after making a first amendment argument in court. That means this image is protected speech in the United States.

And armed society is not always a completely free society, but having a well armed population will always make politicians and other pond scum tip toe around you, rather than stamping a boot right into your face forever.

Attached: 1533087534497.png (1276x1170, 1.54M)

>all prototypes that haven't been commercialized are shit
t. you

That's some wishful thinking. This will never happen, user.

>the tech just quietly died
What?
Any industry company has at least one 3D Printer for prototyping stuff. It plays an extremely important role.
I work in automotive and we need prototypes constantly. We have more than at least 4 3d printers. (expensive ones with support structure auto wash etc)
Anyone who is seriously into diy has one too.

Of course regular Netflix normies don't have them. They also don't have screwdrivers or any other tool.

Where do you get this bullshit from? I have to assume you just invented it in your head.

3D printers can now make rocket parts. These components are so complex that they can not be made on a CNC machine.

3D printing! Not useless! Great progress! Prototyping! Medical applications! Printing graphene! Consumer products! Soon! Asteroid mining! Robots print. Themselves! Smart dust!

Attached: chaika-the-coffin-princess-avenging-battle-episode-1-chaika-fighting.jpg (960x530, 178K)

Shoking truth

Any modern product that breaks

3D printing VR headsets

Guns

Attached: qr.png (300x300, 2K)

Is metal printing viable yet? Until I can print out a glock I'm not interested.

no you can't you dumb piece of shit
>cost of a coffee

>they published a paper on it = can do it for the cost of a coffee

The media shut down 3d printing news after people started printing assault rifles

>assault rifles
>guns that break after shooting one bullet
I guess that media brain washing is working

Attached: 1532862842674.gif (400x225, 1.38M)

You don't even need metal to print a glock now, there is a file created by someone in the United States that allows you to 3D print a gun. (it's legal)

There are parts that cannot be made by cnc. At all.

blueprints are in the qr posted by

Turns out society needs more than novelty paperweights made from weak plastic.

Go back to réddit faggot, you don't fit in here.

>kid gets angry because he can't read
I was here before ledit existed, crybaby

>calls other kid
>can't do a simple web search
scribd.com/document/117532358/fupopo#
Pretty sure graphite and water can be bought for less than the price of a coffee. Hint: graphite is in pencils
Also, the team that won the nobel prize in physics for making 2D graphene did it with scotch tape and a pencil. Again, less than the price of a coffee. Go fuck yourself...kid.

well for one McLaren has "just in time" parts manufacturing now
youtube.com/watch?v=fiYr5CnM-Do
youtube.com/watch?v=Li1OQMv0XPo

In the enthusiast range, its still an enthusiast tool and its become cheaper and better.

In the industrial/military complex, this is becoming a huge thing.

>useful
>guns
Pic one.

>costs as much as a cup of coffee
>oh wait it doesn't
>wrong again, kid

hint lasers and printers are more expensive than coffee

Are you implying that because a child can make a crude brick out of some clay he found in his back yard that Trump's border wall could be built for the cost of a cup of coffee? Do you have any sense of scale whatsoever?

Fucking retards. Yeah costs a lot for the equipment, but once it is bought you can manufacture graphene for less than the price of a coffee. Or when your fat ass buys a dunkin donuts coffee and a dozen donuts for breakfast do you think it's expensive because the "restaurant" and the machines in are expensive. Fuck off, brainlets.

The laser printer is consumer grade, from HP. I used to have a lightscribe drive. Fuck Americans are stupid, like talking to children.

I've still got a Flashforge that I use to make replacement parts for my drones and comps. Don't really pull it out too often but it is pretty useful. $.35 worth of plastic for a part DJI would charge $45 + shipping for makes up for the cost of the printer after two or three incidents.

t. brainlet that has never been in a machine shop before

in part production, 3d printing is slow and the machines expensive
It is simple not economic to print something you can make on a mill you already have 5 times faster.
And as Industrial shit mostly requires function and not visuals, most parts are just flat-stock with milled features. Something complex gets made out of several small parts getting screwed together.
3d printing for part production will only ever be relevant for parts you cannot viable do on regular tooling.
This requires engineers to rethink on how to design shit, this process takes literally decades and will likely for ever stay a niche

>guns that break after shooting one bullet
2012 called they want their designs back

>being so shit that you crash your chinese toy enough to regularly print new parts for it

that was the original post, way to not be able to read.

you don't use 3d printers for actual industry, you use it to prototype faster, the thought that they are at a efficiency for use at production is autistic

this is stupid, any url which has to point to a url set out by ICANN can be banned or stripped from existing. people just need to pour money into tor

iro3d

>moving the goalposts THIS hard
Graphene WAS made, with consumer hardware. Point proven.

But the question is what quality that graphene is. I presume fucking shit tier, otherwise the tech would be everywhere by now.

The cheap ones are a meme, and the good ones are beyond what casual hobbyists are willing to pay. Plus a relatively high skill ceiling if you want to create original stuff.

That's not an assault rifle. It's an ass salt rifle.

becuase manufacturing processes don't change overnight and there are still improvements to be made

No its not. It's just a skill.

3d printed HOTAS mounts for an office chair is Pic related. Swivels out of the way. Printed as one piece. Done in two days in Solid works. Then 3 days of printing with an i3 knock off.

Attached: Elite-Dangerous-HOTAS-3D-Print-4.png (660x435, 95K)

Have you heard of the book diamond age?

The idea is that printers that print carbon could make stuff as hard as diamond nanotubes.

I'd argue is great for prototyping too.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_nanothread

Because they have you narrow minded ameritard. You're all to focused on how to print your pedo loli plastic sex dolls and haven't even bothered to look beyond your own shithole.

There are large prorotype 3d printers in China that print buildings and structures out of recycled concrete and the likes. It's lack of innovation and structured and set was of doing things in the west that prevent these types of ingenuity. But of course it doesn't stop you tards from printing another gun to shoot up your schools.

>Chinese construction

It's not a meme. It's fucking frightening. The 3d printed houses are purely concept.

Attached: weirdnews.jpg (1000x600, 57K)

bondage equipments

anime figurines