Why the FUCK are RAM prices still x2? For what fucking reason? I want to upgrade my RAM but goddamn it

Why the FUCK are RAM prices still x2? For what fucking reason? I want to upgrade my RAM but goddamn it.

Attached: wow.png (500x262, 159K)

Other urls found in this thread:

press.trendforce.com/press/20161102-2677.html
theregister.co.uk/2014/03/07/come_get_your_share_of_the_dram_bounty_ten_bucks/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I built my PC between 2011 and 2012 when 8GB (2x4GB) of DDR3 was $40. I ended up doing 16GB for $80. What are the prices like now?

Hey guys industry insider here, we decided to raise the prices because OP is a little bitch that'll pay them lol. AMA

Gook collusion.

>“At the same time, changes have occurred in the relationship among the top three suppliers – Micron, SK Hynix and Samsung,” Wu added. “Based on the oligopolistic market situation, the trio have opted for co-existence as the best way to maximize their own profitability. They therefore are turning away from aggressively competing for market share through price reduction and capacity expansion.”
>“In a sense, there a strategic aspect behind the latest wave of DRAM price increase,” said Wu. “In the short term, rising prices lift up margins for suppliers. In the long run, the barrier to keep Chinese competition out of the DRAM market is reinforced.”

press.trendforce.com/press/20161102-2677.html

Stop being poor.

The US should tell China they need to break up this monopoly or face war.

>lmao gotem

I built mine some 3 years ago. HyperX 8GB DDR3 was ~£30, now it's £60+. I want to upgrade to 16GB out of my 8GB but goddamn is this annoying that I pay x2 for what was a normal price years ago.

*oligopoly (basically a monopoly as far as the consumer is concerned)

There was a time when a fairly fast 2x16GB DDR4 kit could be had for $160. They went up beyond $400 a couple months ago and are now coming down to the $300 level again.

price fixing

a what?

I remember back in 99 when prices skyrocketed when there was that Taiwan earthquake. A bunch of RAM factories impacted which caused prices to jump.

Attached: EDO-8MB-RAM-Double-Sided-9715E-V53C408HK60-72-Pin.jpg (1200x900, 279K)

crypto?

It's over now, isn't it? The peak is gone but the companies still insist on selling things as if it's the middle of the bitcoin rise and don't even think about bringing it back down.

EU need to get on this shit

>EU need to get on this shit
Like manufacturing it's own DRAM?
They can't compete because of over-regulation.

Attached: poor losers.png (1224x920, 1.91M)

Regulations are good. The government is your friend.

>Regulations are good. The government is your friend.
Do you get government approval before you made that post?
I hope you filled out the proper paperwork and waited for the go ahead.

Yes, comrade! You can trust your friend Stalin.

Because demand is still much higher than the supply.

Then they should fuckin' make more of it. Unless they are keeping a bottleneck just so they can sell it at a higher price.

>tfw you fell for the 32gb meme before prices skyrocketed

Are you guys talking about ddr4 ram? Cause ddr3 is cheap as dirt.

Attached: 10prestige.gif (200x200, 374K)

>I had the money to buy 32GB back in the day
>Never did because I thought it was too expensive and I didn't need it
>Fuck

Attached: 1522112325627.png (2000x2000, 366K)

ddr3 m8. I checked and it's basically x2 the price it used to be years ago before crypto became big.

US is part of the oligopoly (Micron).

>crypto

>16gbs of ddr3 ram less than $100
You sure they're not cheap?

They're building more fabs but those take a long time and billions of dollars to make. Expect the situation to alleviate around 2020.

I got 16gb DDR3 1600 for only $60 on ebay

No I meant that as 8GB. If 16GB was £80 I'd be on it instantly.
A stick of 8GB is £60/70+

Welp.

How is that allowed?

It's "allowed" because the fines they could get for it mean nothing in the face of the profits they're raking in. It'd take years and years to investigate it and bring charges, and the end result will be an amount that pales in comparison to the amount they made from doing it in the first place. This isn't just theory either - it's literally happened before.

theregister.co.uk/2014/03/07/come_get_your_share_of_the_dram_bounty_ten_bucks/

I'm surprised, they are still on the same high price since September of 2016. two years of high markups brahs. How come no one bats an eye about this?

wait for China

proud to be korean

the based free market will save us because a savvy entrepreneur will come in any day now and set up a multitrillion dollar semiconductor fab along with the required knowledge and intellectual property to cash in on this overinflated market :^)

>2020
the year ZEN3 comes out, welp i will build my next pc in 2020

>tfw chinks are the actual free market invisible hand

the chinks are the original inventor of paper, printing, paper money, and paper money printing

>liberals will still defend government regulations that cause this

nope. buy today. DDR5 DRAM will come around by 2020

>buying NEW ddr3
Nigger this shit has been in production for a decade used shit is just fine and cheap

in january I bought from amazon a 8 gb module for 73 euros, now it costs 146