Is it ok to clean thermal paste off with clean water?

Is it ok to clean thermal paste off with clean water?

Attached: gmc_16_02-bdw-e_processor_composite_flat_150-100662650-orig.png (1250x1250, 1.7M)

Other urls found in this thread:

linustechtips.com/main/topic/175677-faq-can-i-use-______-to-clean-my-pc-components-the-go-to-answer/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Rubbing alcohol.

Yes. Soap is fine too. Just wash it off and leave it to dry for a few minutes. You can also clean the pins and the socket with a toothbrush, which is recommended to do from time to time.

just wipe it with a paper towel and finish it off with your shirt

not rocket science it's a piece of metal retard

Been using rubbing alcohol for over 15 years.

you need to degrease it, wipe it down with isotropic alcohol, blow dry it, spray some holy water on it and finally jizz on it.

Only after you've completed these steps will you be able to run your core i9 good goy edition without burning our house down.

Denatured Alcohol is best practice. Rubbing alcohol contains water.

>without burning our house down.
>our
I would never, never live with Jow Forums.

This is the stupidest thing I have read today.
Denatured has a bunch of other contaminants and additives that are far worse than 1-10% sterilized water by volume.
Some of which even contain acetone, and 100% will leave residue in the form of bittering agents to prevent poles and Indians from drinking it.

DO NOT USE DENATURED ON ELECTRONICS.

I use 99% acetone

Nigga you can take a hose to it and it'll be fine.

isopropyl alcohol

*your
Don;t worry user, it was a typo

Attached: 1520090276076.png (266x454, 142K)

>This is the stupidest thing I have read today.
The problem is, you didn't read. I never stated to use denatured alcohol on electronics. I recommended the use exclusively for removing thermal paste from atop a proc. Slight dab on a q tip cuts through all of the paste, evaporates straight away.
>residue
I guess the shiny clean surface is a lie
>prevents polling
I didn't say clean the socket with the shit.

>Polling, or polled operation, in computer science, refers to actively sampling the status of an external device by a client program as a synchronous activity. Polling is most often used in terms of input/output (I/O), and is also referred to as polled I/O or software-driven I/O.

Stop spreading fud. Seriously the less water content the better.

non-potable, non-beverage-taxed 90% ethanol/10% methanol mixture, which we in the States call "denatured alcohol." That will work well for removing thermal paste as it is a non-polar (organic) solvent with a very low water content. Thermal paste is readily dissolved by most organic solvents but not water, so your 70% isopropyl alcohol/30% water swabs won't work very well due to the high water content.

fuck no, use alcohol you dumb ass holy shit

>not using isopropyl alcohol

Attached: ap,550x550,12x16,1,transparent,t.u1.png (413x549, 95K)

>damp paper tower
>corner of shirt
what's your retarded excuse to need anything else?

Denatured alcohol will serve as an adequate solvent for thermal compound, and it is still volatile enough to evaporate quickly.

Even water can serve as a solvent, it's just it takes much longer to dry and even the slightest amount of impurity makes water conductive which is why it's avoided in electronics. Alcohols are non-conductive.

This will clear up a lot of confusion. A very comprehensive list of all popular choices

linustechtips.com/main/topic/175677-faq-can-i-use-______-to-clean-my-pc-components-the-go-to-answer/

This is correct if you're exclusively cleaning the sealed top of the CPU. However, I would not recommend denatured alcohol on the PCB or any other electrical component.

Don't be a dick. Take Klean Strip denatured alcohol for example. Per the MSDS fact sheet, this popular form of denatured alcohol contains
>Ethyl alcohol {Ethanol} 30.0 -50.0 %
>Methanol {Methyl alcohol;Carbinol;Wood alcohol}
>40.0 -60.0 %
No acetone. Additionally, to confirm the potential residue it may or may not leave, place a small streak on a mirror and wait for it to dry. However, the aforementioned Klean Strip denatured alcohol is used to clean glass, so I highly doubt a residue will be left behind.

tl;dr If you're going to use denatured alcohol, first confirm whats in it, and secondly don't use it on the PCB or other components outside of the top of the CPU and heat sink.

50% Caustic Soda Liquor and 96% Sulphuric Acid in a 50/50 mix should do the trick.

I'm pretty sure you will be but make sure you're in the basement of your home, out of the way of everyone and if you need to wipe off any excess then use Kleenex, your wank sock or that anime waifu hug pillow hanging off your camp bed.

just get a paper towel and scrub it off dummy

>intlel
Throw it into the trash.

Blast it with piss.

Anyone else only replaces thermal paste only when it's completely cemented? I once had core2duo running 90C idle until I noticed and changed paste. Still works.

Alcohols always contain water retard

Use IPA

Nope.
Idealy rubbing alcohol.
If you don't have this, use aftershave

You should media blast it using crushed walnut shells.

Attached: CopyQ.nS2407.png (413x413, 229K)

>Alcohol+water is bad!
>Alcohol+water+crap is good!

Stop polluting the ground water, american.

I used face wipes to clean my 2700x when I fucked up putting the cooler on. The face wipes ingredients contain something called aqua but no water. Either way my CPU worked fine afterwards.

I just wipe it with toilet paper until it's clean.

The trick is to lift the cooler just a slight bit, enough to check the state of the paste, and quickly slam it back down again, that way air bubbles don't have time to form. I recommend doing this monthly, ensures that the paste is properly cemented when you're replacing it.

Just use goo gone, OP

>UGGH THESE REPLIES

just use a razorblade

Attached: Razor-Blades__74514_zoom.jpg (800x719, 57K)

Virgin tears.

isopropyl works a lot better and dries much faster

>The face wipes ingredients contain something called aqua but no water.
Do you have any left? Because I need to wipe my face after facepalming with your idiocy.

See
>tl;dr If you're going to use denatured alcohol, first confirm whats in it, and secondly don't use it on the PCB or other components outside of the top of the CPU and heat sink.

There are many ways of doing this. For starters, try not to be a tech illiterate neck beard, and actually do some research and or, actually read the entirety of the post once again, unless you want to continue to sound like an idiot, with zero rationale.
>What is confirm whats in it for 9000 Alex?

>isopropyl is way too general. There are all kinds and many different concentrations. The more water content, the more likely to damage your shit.
>Dries a lot faster
Evaporation is determined by the amount water present. Obviously 70% isopropyl will take longer to evaporate than 99.9% isopropyl

>isopropyl
is way too general. There are all kinds and many different concentrations. The more water content, the more likely to damage your shit.
>Dries a lot faster
Evaporation is determined by the amount water present. Obviously 70% isopropyl will take longer to evaporate than 99.9% isopropyl

Wow, it's as if it shouldn't be recommended as "best practice" then.

Only if it was a semen based thermal paste. For other kinds use alcohol.

Once more, you're being selective in your reading
and splitting hairs
> I never stated to use denatured alcohol on electronics. I recommended the use exclusively for removing thermal paste from atop a proc
>This is correct if you're exclusively cleaning the sealed top of the CPU

Is this spelled out enough?

Why would I need to go and look there?
I could just ask you.

Attached: just use razor blade derp derp.jpg (1280x960, 209K)

Cum and mayo as thermal paste are Jow Forums memes. /b/ doesn't know what a thermal is and why it might need paste.

see

Unlike beef, water is a liquid and cannot be ground.

I use paper towels and just wipe the bitch off. This is literally all you need for the CPU. Sometimes the CPU cooler gets shit on parts you just cant wipe and thats when you use alcohol. You dont need to use alcohol on the chip unless you want it to look brand spanking new for some reason, or baked your last paste on way too hot.

Attached: 10251040.png (497x732, 418K)

>Selective reading
See

>Jow Forums memes
Yeah yeah but every thread somehow has to turn into a shitstorm of misinformation and cancer because of
>memes
Actually promoting learning by quality content of discussion once in awhile would be nice. Some newfag is going to jizz all over his shit and wonder why his computer burned his house down. I get it, that would be hysterical. Seeing as how there have been some outrageous recommendations in this thread, there is a need for real discussion with quality input, not memes.
>inb4 ass blasted
I'm just ready for summer to be over user

I use brake cleaner on everything that I want really clean and degreased.

Cleans much better then alcohol.

Then I retract my previous statement regarding best practice in general. I will continue though, to stand by my assessment of my experience.
>I recommended the use exclusively for removing thermal paste from atop a proc

and as stated
>tl;dr If you're going to use denatured alcohol, first confirm whats in it, and secondly don't use it on the PCB or other components outside of the top of the CPU and heat sink

see
>linustechtips.com/main/topic/175677-faq-can-i-use-______-to-clean-my-pc-components-the-go-to-answer/

>>Selective reading
>le
black to reddit

This.

You clean it off with alcohol or you're a fuckshit.

I've been using water in paper towel since the pentium MMX years. No problems whatsoever.

What about thermal pasta?

>fuckshit
underage b&

Bedtime buddy boy.

Attached: zoomer.jpg (680x907, 76K)

>LinusCuckTips
Bryan from Tech YES City uses brake cleaner all over the used parts he buys and it hasn't killed anything yet.

Isopropyl is rubbing alcohol, brainlet

great contribution to the topic of the thread.

sssh. you'll be alright.

Attached: butthurt2.jpg (450x571, 49K)

Simply stating Isopropyl is too general as there are many different raitio's of mixture.
>50%
>70%
>91%
>99.9%

Enjoys the corrosive properties on his capacitors and connections does he?

weak derailment attempt

All of them are fine brainlet. It will evaporate before you even get it reseated.

This

see a bunch of organic chem majors here

denatured alcohol = ethanol (the stuff in wine and beer) + a bunch of toxic impurities to prevent ppl from getting drunk on it cheaply

isopropyl alcohol = the stuff they clean your skin with before sticking a needle in you at the hospital. disinfectant properties

rubbing alcohol = some shitty english name that can stand for either of them (look it up on wikipedia). don't use that shitty word. english is such an unclear language sometimes

acetone is the most common nail polish remover. walk into any nail shop and you'll recognize the smell

then there's mineral spirits (which can be any combo of volatile organic solvents) but I wouldn't recommend them. they can be pretty toxic, especially in a poorly ventilated area.

>all of them are fine brainlet
>50%
>70%
Enjoy all of that water on your chips and boards. The alkaline content of water has no detrimental effect on electronic surrrre
>brainlet
debased

Weak in general.

Attached: 1190119539253.jpg (800x600, 154K)

someone post the screencap

literally what?

Literally your mother.

ethanol
2 carbons, one acohol (OH) group

Attached: Ethanol-structure.svg.png (640x391, 7K)

>denatured alcohol = ethanol (the stuff in wine and beer) + a bunch of toxic impurities
Not all denatured alcohol is the same. There are varying denaturants that are used. Obviously some are better and some are worse.
>Take Klean Strip denatured alcohol for example. Per the MSDS fact sheet, this popular form of denatured alcohol contains
>40.0 -60.0 %
No acetone. Additionally, to confirm the potential residue it may or may not leave, place a small streak on a mirror and wait for it to dry. However, the aforementioned Klean Strip denatured alcohol is used to clean glass, so I highly doubt a residue will be left behind.

isopropyl alcohol (also named 2-propanol)
3 carbon atoms. alcohol group on middle carbon

Attached: screen_shot_2015-01-05_at_3.51.49_pm.png (240x190, 14K)

I used some shitty 90 proof vodka on a paper towel the last time i cleaned the thermal paste of my CPU

Regardless of the source, the article is very comprehensive. Probably the most comprehensive I've found on the matter.
>Bryan from Tech YES City uses brake cleaner
>brake cleaner
Is that when he's not working on his 88 Camaro parked on the front lawn?

That might actually be fine.

Attached: 876876565887.jpg (409x428, 19K)

Attached: 522323498709.jpg (319x360, 32K)

>denatured alcohol = ethanol (the stuff in wine and beer) + a bunch of toxic impurities
Not all denatured alcohol is the same. There are varying denaturants that are used. Obviously some are better and some are worse.
>Take Klean Strip denatured alcohol for example. Per the MSDS fact sheet, this popular form of denatured alcohol contains
>40.0 -60.0 %
>No acetone. Additionally, to confirm the potential residue it may or may not leave, place a small streak on a mirror and wait for it to dry. >However, the aforementioned Klean Strip denatured alcohol is used to clean glass, so I highly doubt a residue will be left behind.

>shitty
>90 proof
calm down picard.

LOL. How the fuck are you cleaning your CPU?

Attached: 5432879654098.jpg (583x1500, 141K)

LOL. So you just spray it willy nilly and let it go everywhere that it gets on your motherboard?

But since you spend extra for the same shit I do you probably are that retarded.

>So you just spray it willy nilly and let it go everywhere that it gets on your motherboard
I never stated anything about spraying. Do you see a spraying attachment. Might want to get your facts straight before you go on like a retard.
>Having the right stuff
Pardon me for being a real technician. As opposed to the cancer that perpetuates ass backwards methodologies.

>But since you spend extra for the same shit I do you probably are that retarded.
>spend extra for the same shit I do
>retarded
Sorry user, I don't speak buck tooth British

I usually just use spit and wipe it off with my shirt. It's fine.