Dad won’t use mega because it’s .nz

>Dad won’t use mega because it’s .nz

Old people thread

Attached: D0079424-10D6-48A4-87C6-B45A72E9C9B2.gif (320x287, 982K)

>Dad has firefox set to open 15+ tabs on startup
>Keeps every program, picture, and document he has ever downloaded and just buys more WD MyBooks when he runs out of space
>Wonders why his c2d + 2gb ram machine is slow
>Offer to help by installing ccleaner
>"I dont want you installing viruses on my computer"

>Dad contributed to Unix operating system

Dad keeps a post-note clear sticky taped to the back of his iPhone 4 with his phone number a few other others because iOS is too intimidating.

> this is 100% true and makes me sad

Attached: image.jpg (1242x1315, 164K)

> no zoomers
just as planned

FUCK shit peeland

>mom takes a picture of her laptop screen with her phone then sends it to herself via email

Attached: 1511660451686.jpg (392x286, 22K)

>dad screams at and blames me going to "naughty websites" for the printer running out of ink
what in the ever loving fuck is wrong with narcs

Why not masking tape?

Attached: pickle.gif (1221x768, 699K)

Your dad's smart.

>Mom right clicks to open browser/applications

Just LEFT CLICK the icons on the taskbar for christ's sake, woman! You KNOW how to left click everything else on the internet just CLICK IT. No I won't tell you to to left click because it's basic common knowledge that you should already have grasped after having a home PC for 10+ years!

Attached: 0bc7007a3d2f0033154f5f88d011cfa2.jpg (236x238, 7K)

This

Attached: scrn_2018-05-20_12-14-10.png (203x209, 61K)

>offer to help by installing ccleaner

Attached: 1533404481123.jpg (1080x666, 113K)

And even if you cleaned it up a bit, any problems in the next two years were because "you did something and now it doesn't work". No matter how unrelated.

Exactly why avoid touching anyone’s pc

My dad is so slow with pc's. Instead of just clicking buttons, he clicks it but holds the mouse button down, then he decides if he really wants to click it, and then FINALLY lets go.

Fucking childish shit. GTFO!

Based Dad, he's 100% CCleaner is botnet shit now

>mom won't change provider to switch from 512kbit's connection to 16k because it's not worth the 5€ saves a month for just the switch

Based and redpilled

Dad won't use his iPad to avoid wearing out the battery.

Attached: 1277859292057.png (429x410, 11K)

>friend won't click on links TOO Jow Forums because "Jow Forums is a dodgy place..."

He's 20 years old and studies computer science at one of the most prestigious universities in the world.

Attached: 1523325571005r9k.png (800x850, 135K)

good choice for a bad reason.
what's wrong with him refusing to use a gvt baiting website ?

He's in one of the most prestigious universities in the word and we're not, so maybe he's onto something with this Jow Forums avoiding thing...

Most likely smug reaction because someone ketp telling him he had a high iq or some shit like that.
Being good at maths does not make you intelligent, critical thinking is something you build, not something you're born with and there is nothing wrong with Jow Forums.

>Being good at maths does not make you intelligent
I did not say that, just that he's more successful than us.

>download steam on my mother's laptop so my younger brother could play tf2 with me when I go back to my house
>forget to delete steam icon
>mother calls me yelling and asking what it is and why did I download it
>realize it'll be harder to explain to her what steam is than just have her right click the icon and have her hit delete

Attached: bea.jpg (680x1027, 81K)

My mom doesn't seem to understand the concept of files. Word documents and shit, those are files, and she seems to have no trouble realizing that she can name them whatever she likes, put them in folders, copy them around on flash drives, and so on. But something in her head doesn't register that photos are files, too, and she can do the exact same things with them. Or music files, or video files, or what have you. Those are apparently special opaque things that only exist in the context of some photo-viewing app, and she's more than once used an "email this photo to someone" feature to send a photo to herself just so she can look at it on a computer instead of a phone. I suspect she hasn't been helped in this mental block by the android devs taking away the ability to plug in a phone and have it show up as a USB mass storage device. (given how inconvenient that MTP garbage is on Linux, I'm mad at them too)

She's figured out emojis though. Fuck.

Attached: 1530328492138.png (1079x765, 644K)

>Not installing Gentoo

>>Offer to help by installing ccleaner
What a disappointment of a son.

>dad phones me and tells me the volume isn't working on the new computer I built for him
>get over and take a look
>he'd muted youtube which is why the volume wasn't working

Christ I pray there is some way I can avoid being like this when I'm old.

Based boomer vs cringe zoomer

top fucking kek
Was it a long drive?

It's owned by nz gov

15 minutes

:^)

Attached: Ultirage.jpg (1795x709, 1.14M)

this is bait right?
ccleaner is absolutely worthless

This sounds like something my mother would do if she used computers

My Dad has played over 5000 games of FreeCell.

My dad is on the last level of Candy Crush
Something above 2000 I think, it's not funny anymore

My dad has also. He played them with that "select game number" feature, starting from #1, and noted them down on a little pad as he beat them.

I read somewhere that out of the standard (32k) XP freecell games, there's exactly one that's been mathematically proven to be unwinnable, all others have known solutions. I hope he never found that one.

Your dad too? Both my parents are at or near the latest candy crush level and they play it to the end with every update.

>Dad has firefox set to open 15+ tabs on startup
you don't? fucking pleb
>Keeps every program, picture, and document he has ever downloaded and just buys more WD MyBooks when he runs out of space
based. better to keep shit you want than leave it and hope it there when you want it next, disk space isn't expensive
>Wonders why his c2d + 2gb ram machine is slow
so he should! there's no reason why such a machine can't do common tasks today
keep that non-free botnet off my machine, son!

The registry fixer tool is useful though. I use it whenever a software update fucks up a Windows feature and some menu stops working, and when I need to get rid of nonexistent filetype associations. The rest of "cleaning" is better to do youself, you don't need a fucking program to clear browser cache/empty recycle bin

My mother is incredibly cheap, but she's also clueless about computers. For wjatever reason she decided her 2013 Vaio was useless and she ended up buying a different laptop without asking me. She believes she got a great deal because the machine in question was "only" $150, but it's some fucking Dell shitbox from 2012.
Unsurprisingly the motherboard failed a few months after she bought it and now she's back to using the Vaio.

>cleaning your cache to make the computer run "faster"

Attached: Car.jpg (650x885, 270K)

>>Offer to help by installing ccleaner
>>"I dont want you installing viruses on my computer"
he's not wrong though

>rages
I wonder where his mother and sister are now

Why did he specify that Debian is a Linux distro? Must have not been on Jow Forums.

he literally says R9K in the post

Proofread before posting you fucking moron

I always get kind of scared reading these kinds of threads. I mean, I expect to live to be about 80 years old. But apparently many people who appear to function normally, have actually lost their intelligence right about when they turned 50. Do people actually die when they turn 50, only to leave some sort of hollow shell behind that pretends to be a functioning human being? Will this happen to me? Will I really be me when I'm over 50 or will I have been replaced by a goddamn space alien?

Attached: chewbubblegum.jpg (1130x430, 88K)

I guess it's the lack of hormones over the years or something

My parents turned 60 and especially in my mom I can tell shes not as smart as she was. Very articulate but something changed in the past few years. Getting old is scary.

It's probably your genes.

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Don't use mega because it's owned by Kike Dotcom

Attached: 1533163855722.jpg (1080x1167, 106K)

Kek are you triggered whitey

>son leaves open action as double-click instead of setting it to single-click
>son uses reddit in place of Jow Forums
>son uses notepad++ via wine instead of Vim or god forbid Emacs
>son learns python instead of perl
>son uses zomg zsh instead of bash
>son remotes into windows desktop from Ubuntu Desktop, to use PuTTY to remote into Ubuntu desktop
>son uses "smart" phone but has no one to call/text

Young people thread?

>gf's dad buys very expensive mac pro because it has "pro" in the name and must therefore be good >Uses nothing but firefox and thunderbird on it

at least he's decent enough to use Thunderbird

This. user's dad is based. Hope you don't act too smug with him. You'll respect his wisdom when you're older.

that is why you always install teamviewer

The browser cache may have corrupted/unused/outdated files that are not automatically deleted so digging trough them to find a specific file obviously takes less time from the browser when there are less junk files, also malware scans
>inb4 "gets malware in 2018" ever heard of zero days?

Since I've started working fixing Macs, I've discovered people doesn't know even their Mac model, are you sure you're not talking about a MacBook Pro, that for years was the only option besides the shitty Air?

>Dad keeps wasting thousands of dollars on Apple products because they make him "look more professional" and are "more convenient"

Attached: disgust.jpg (245x245, 5K)

>ccleaner
FYI ccleaner is bundled with malware since two months ago.

I see this sentiment posted a lot online, but I refuse to believe this really happens.
Every one of my family and friends that I've ever given advice to or helped out has been extremely grateful and doesn't blame any issues they experience on me.

Why can't retards use the fucking Resource Monitor?

This never happened.

>my mother need to pass some photos from her phone to the computer
>email them to herself
>complain her mailbox is becoming full
>told her she doesn't need to do all that gimmicks she just can use the cable
>"user that shit is too complicated, I've found my way to do it"
jesus

no that happened more than two months ago and was resolved. it affected one version number.

based

You should propose to him a NAS Solution, something scalable which allows for swappable drive and raid.

Also propose a new system pick something mid range but kind more than he needs. When you install windows you can configure an XML files to move all profile locations to a new directory. This way you can get him a 240gb ssd as his boot and a 2tb secondary drive.

Make his profile on the the secondary drive and windows will load off the SSD.

requires no configuration on his side. Then create the storage pool on the NAS and mount it as a network drive on Windows, show your dad the new network drive and that it has 15tb.

Setup veeam free backup on the workstation and create a backup image of the 2tb to the NAS and have the NAS on raid5.

Some solutions aren't free and maybe your dad wouldn't mind spending money he just doesn't know how to spend it.

Obviously if 1500 for a basic work station + Qnap + 5 drives is too much adjust the plans and budget.

Seems like a fun project.

>wonder where
at the bottom of a lake, if there's any justice left in this world.

This

>mom complains about me using Windows
>tells me constantly to use GNU/Linux or as she has recently taken to call it, GNU plus Linux
>tells me how great butterface is and how NTFS is for shitters

it's just easier for me honestly
>plug in phone
>find which of the 4 "pictures" folders that my pictures are in
>loads each image in chronological order starting from oldest
>slowly
i'd rather just email it to myself

it's two clicks either way

>There is nothing wrong with Jow Forums

To be fair, he's right

I don't want to use mega because lately it leaves me with the file I want and a 1KB to several MB big .part file in the folder. The file is broken.

Anyways, I installed a Youtube-Downloader some time ago because my father kept reinstalling bearshare instead of using Google like I showed him several times. Made him switch to JDownloader by now

At least one party is an asshole. Most of the time both are

If you explain what you're doing while they are watching, it can help.
Kinda like a plumber doing his stuff. Nobody knows what they're exactly doing but it's nice if he explains his actions.
Heating engineer seems also fun
>I could make it run without the control unit but then your house would probably burn down

This happened to me at 21. I barely even exist anymore.
It could strike you too at any time, probably. I don't know.

Attached: 1509355753587.jpg (720x518, 39K)

All of you unappreciative brats better respect your parents
Also 40 is not old

>Also 40 is not old

Shouldn't you be picking out a grave plot, rather than posting here?

>dad types using only both index fingers, staring at the keyboard the entire time
>He has been using a computer every day for the last 15 years for work
>At least once a week hear him yelling because he's written out an entire lengthy email without glancing at the monitor once and only just realised caps lock was on the whole time
>'Here dad look, highlight it and then press shift f3 to change it and the...' 'YOU KNOW I DON'T KNOW HOW TO FUCKING DO THAT'

Attached: images-43.jpg (225x225, 13K)

That's pretty much my mother, with the exception that she, at age almost 50, doesn't know to properly write Italian.
Each time she has to send an email I've to double check it because she doesn't use properly (or none at all) punctuation, verbs, etc.

some parents don't deserve respect boomer

My grandma has a couple thousand games in Solitaire as well. I'm honestly impressed. Also she'll wreck you in any card game. Tough old lady.

based dad

not macbook, the desktop one

Can you really blame him?
If I was to go by the local media coverage, this place would be a dark net assembly of murderers.

Also,
>TOO
What?

Why not?

Terry A Davis' parents worked for NASA on several large engineering projects

Its very plausible that Anons Dad contributed to Unix

>>in place of Jow Forums
you're the young one

>mom accidentally deletes Firefox icon
>What have you done? You deleted the internet!

>user, your sister logged into amazon when she visited. Now there is her name on the screen and we will never be able to log in, ever again!
>just log out!
>where?
>ok, just open a private tab and open amazon there
>a what?
>never mind, close the browser and open Internet Explorer
>I clicked something and it says some stuff about that it is now my standard browser. I don't want that......

>can you copy the files from my phone to my notebook?
>just connect it and do it!
>no,no, that is too difficult!
>remember how you connect your camera and copy the photos from the SD card to your pix folder?
>Yes.
>Perfect! It is basically the same. Open the DCIM folder and copy the files.
>NO! You are lying! That is totally different

my parents play second life
they play it very seriously

i don't want to give details, but a lot of the family money has been used to buy in-game currency
they have been playing for over a decade now and are otherwise technologically illiterate...

this can't be real

Attached: 4.jpg (839x900, 122K)

i absolutely swear it is, they have even run "businesses" in it for a better part of these years

i don't want to give too many details because i doubt the player base is that big at this point, but there have even been infidelity charges over their interactions with other people in the game ("because it's second LIFE, so it's as real as real life")

this is actually the first time i post about it online, usually i just try to forget it