Why are laptops so fucking shit, Jow Forums?

>everything is soldered
>can't replace CPU and GPU, even other comps

Manufacturers care more about laptops being shiny and compact.
Are they really retarded to make laptops shiny, compact and with replaceable components?

Attached: laptop.png (832x542, 118K)

>implying chad and stacy give a fuck about opening up their computers

they just want with a webcam that can browse facebook and will drop $1k on a new one in a year anyway

why would you ever want to replace a component in a laptop?

*normies
For example, I want to upgrade my laptop.

macbook

I miss when laptops had expansion ports. I can't even find a modern laptop with an optical drive...
At least the hdd and ram are upgradeable on mine

Not being able to replace the hard drive or battery truly is a pain. I have to worry each time I open my laptop.

a laptop's primary selling point is mobility, what kind of things would you upgrade and what new abilities would it grant?

CPU or GPU.

But there are laptops that can, it's just that they're mostly made for pros and gaming.

its a laptop you fuck, buy a desktop if you want to replace/change shit

Easy. Aside from obviously ram and storage, battery comes to mind. As do additional ports or functionality as we saw with the old upgrade slots they used to have. Docking options for desktop usage is nice also. GPU is as mentioned a nice bonus.

PS fuck excessive dongles.

If you buy a decent laptop today it may still be decent in five years. But maybe 16 gigs of ram is too little by then, or your ssd is full to the brim. If you are easily able to swap those out yourself instead of buying an entirely new computer you save money for yourself and generate less future landfill.

>wanting less features
applecuck detected

Already have one.

Most laptops would require you to upgrade the cooling solution to do that with creating thermal bottlenecks, so there isn't much point anyway. If jewtel didn't lock each generation of CPU into it's own unique socket these days it might actually make sense

Actually laptops used to have all the functions and abilities being discussed. Even budget models. It just went away because unibody shit is cheaper to manufacture, and apple proved people were dumb enough to go for it.

Kinda like headphones Jack's and sd card slots on phones. It may be strange for you to hear but some modern phone even have EXPANDABLE batteries. And laptops used to be the same. Quite handy for that portability you're so fixated on.

>with
without*

>portable devices get thinner and lighter

wow!

Babby's first experience with planned obsolescence.

>tfw I pulled apart my daughters hp x360 to put an ssd in a while ago and do you think they'd left a panel on the back with 1 or 2 screws to do it?
>FUCKINg having to take the back off and the keyboard just to get at the harddrive and then finding the tha shitty sodimm is soldered on...

Attached: aHR0cDovL3d3dy50ZWxlZ3JhcGguY28udWsvY29udGVudC9kYW0vcnVnYnktdW5pb24vMjAxOC8wNC8xNi9URUxFTU1HTFBJQ1Qw (1500x1500, 157K)

Laptops used to be so upgradable they had express slots for expansion. Didn't add much bulk either truth be told.

Attached: ExpressCard.jpg (697x463, 89K)

On my laptop they wrapped the drive around some sort of foil for no reason at all.

>planned obsolescence
Why is this still a thing?

>half the thickness of pictured laptop
>didn't add much

>Why is this still a thing?
>Manufacturers care more about laptops being shiny and compact.

Thank Apple!

Attached: 157022633.DG4QhAjY.DSCF2618v4copy.jpg (3748x2938, 551K)

>Why are laptops so fucking shit, Jow Forums?
How many times are you going to post the same fucking thread?

>ywn see the golden age of upgradable business machines ever again

Attached: sad-pepe-thinkpad.png (350x366, 88K)

if it's too modular ppl will swap parts easily and they can't charge a lot of money anymore
eg your graphics chip's dead. just swap the whole mobo and charge 75% to 150% of the laptop's original price.
Apple's is especially skilled at this

>Why aren't portable devices thick and heavy?

Attached: stupid-man.jpg (660x371, 19K)

>manufacturer releases a laptop with swappable CPU
>Jow Forums cretin puts in the most powerful CPU motherboard supports and gaming grade miniPCIe GPU then overclocks everything
>laptop literally melts
>WHAT THE FUCK CAN'T YOU EVEN MAKE A LAPTOP WITH REPLACEABLE COMPONENTS FUCKING JEWS

>optical drive in a laptop
For what purpose.

Just make your own.
Or become a manufacturer. Maybe in the process you might figure out why they don't make modular laptops.

>CPU
every i3->i7 mobile CPU upgrade is a lost laptop sale for laptop manufacturers

>GPU
what is eGPU?

>buy desktop with socketable cpu
>by the time you feel need to upgrade, cpu socket is dead and new intel one out anyway

why would i give a shit about this on laptops?

>Not spending $3000 on a new phone and laptop every 2 years
what are you a communist?

>Jow Forums actually thinks planned obsolescence exists

>tfw tonkpad mustard race
My laptop doesn't have those problems.

I'm surprised how upgrade-able laptops still are... that it's even workable. The whole PC market's gone wonky... my experience goes back to IBM AT/286 days.
> Gee, I've been out of PC building for a long time, let's see what the kids on Jow Forums are doing these days...
> mfw people are upgrading T420 laptops that I used back in 2006, and it wasn't a new machine then
> i7, RAM, SSD... wtf
A three year old computer used to be a throw away... I've now got a 10 year old laptop running effectively on full-feature Linux OS, but it would probably run Win7/10 fine.

I've been pulling in the family laptops and upgrading them over the past week. Used, top-upgrade CPUs are

learn how to reglue and resolder, if chinks in a workshop can, surely you plebs can. jeez do you expect your phone or tv to be upgradable too?