Where's the love for puppy Linux...

Where's the love for puppy Linux? A distro even lighter on resources than lubuntu! Yet full featured with a lovely full selection of programs!
Want more? Install TAHR puppy and get access to the Debian/Ubuntu repos! Or slacko for those of you with moderate to severe autism!

Let's have a thread for a woefully under appreciated distro!

Attached: puppy-linux.jpg (420x480, 42K)

Other urls found in this thread:

debiandog.github.io/doglinux/
mebious.neocities.org/
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Really no love for puppy?

It helped me enter the school network and browse Jow Forums avoiding the block on various websites.

It helped me fix my PC when I could not boot anything even other distos.

It represents what Linux world should be about, functionality driven Operating Systems, not fancy looks and shitty software.

Between slackware and debian (back in 2003), tell me the point of puppy when Debian can do and could do more?

>lubuntu
>light
BHAHAHAHAHAHA

This time a million.

>light

Debian was way lighter back then, the fuck are you on about.

>back in 2003
We're in $CURRENT_YEAR gramps, get on with the times. Debian is boated as fuck and Slack is dead.

I like it because the mascot is a dog

shit ass ugly when it doesn't need to be
just use flat squares like windows did back in the day and avoid the embarrasment of trying and failing

>Slackware is dead but sees frequent changelogs
>debian is bloated but still can get an install under 1 gig
Are you mentally fucking retarded? Is this the average Arch user?

>Slackware is dead but sees frequent changelogs
Slack is dead, faggot. No one uses it or talks about it anymore.
>debian is bloated but still can get an install under 1 gig
And you think a 1GB install is not bloat? Talk about retards.

Do you live in a bubble? Slack is still used, even though its still on sysV.
>a server with an OS that is under a gig is bloat
Are you bleeding over space? Can't afford a 50 dollar hard drive? On ARM It can be like 70mb, stick to your rice fuckwit.

Love it. Used Lucid ages ago, was amazing for the minimalist specs I had it running o.

It helped me use my shitty old laptop with a broken hard drive so I do love it.

Puppy is awesome.
> I just used Puppy to pull info off a Win7 machine with a dead OS (thanks Microsoft and your stupid updates breaking my machine.)
> Used Puppy to run a display at my office using a laptop with no battery and no HD. Computer would power on and go to a website in Kiosk mode when power was cycled.
> Use it anytime I need to get into a machine that's compromised and will boot from either CD or USB.

Will it keep running Pentium MMX 200?

This
The thing I don't understand about open source developers is that it's not that hard to create a simple ui, why the hell do they have to pad their shit with tasteless design rather than just leaving them alone?
Icons are the worst especially. The time it must take to find all those clipart by searching on google images could've easily been saved by just using some icon pack released under creative commons

>why the hell do they have to pad their shit with tasteless design rather than just leaving them alone?
I have worked on projects with eye-burning legacy GUIs. It is not limited to open source or *nix. There is a certain type of developer who is very difficult to dissuade from doing this "folksy" customization. What they're doing is the equivalent of pic related with even less irony. I think they approach it like "oh, it's cute" and can't imagine their users would be actively disgusted by the result. Maybe they think their work would look too corporate otherwise.

Attached: 268615.jpg (840x560, 60K)

I don't know why Jow Forums would care about any particular distrobution.

Picking a "good" linux distro is a fool's errand. It's always going to have some dumb shit you need installed by default.

Instead pick a minimal install of something customizable (but with robust repos and a good package manager) and install only what you need. Boom, done, it takes like 20 minutes and you have an OS with 0 bloat because you did it yourself.

Attached: related.png (1200x891, 524K)

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: interjection-richard-stallman.jpg (1600x900, 450K)

Puppy has had a fairly good-looking release.

Attached: Puppy_Linux_4.00_Screenshot.png (1280x800, 634K)

make it a persistent + live USB and fuck me if it doesnt detect obscure hard drives and shit.
it's awesome and actually light instead of pseudo light like other shit people are mentioning here.

>How to puppy.
There's an /archive directory.
Stuff you put there gets saved (if you save your session) to your usb/dvd, but doesn't get loaded to the ramdisk on boot.
Use it to keep the memory footprint small.
>Say you want gimp..
Download the one click installer
> (.fsf or .sfs) i can never remember. Run the gimp.
Set up gimp preferences, plugins etc.
back up your ~/.gimp don't save your session.
reboot and restore the ~/.gimp dir.
Your settinngs and shit barely make a dent available ram.
Drop the installer in archive.
Now that you have the settings you want and the installer on your /archive dir on the usb, you can click it when you want to gimp or use the load/unload programs on the fly thingie in the menu.
If you find puppy getting bloated it means you're doing it wrong.

>she
googling people's name is not being "good" at finding out shady dealings lmao

>Install TAHR puppy and get access to the Debian/Ubuntu repos
I think debiandog.github.io/doglinux/ is better for that. It's a collection of Deban- and Ubuntu-based live CDs that work like Puppy (desktop as root) and have similar preinstalled software.

Really good experience so far - surprisingly compatible with old hardware from the get-go. Lubuntu in comparison isn't nearly as light. Could look a bit better or have more inbuilt themes but that's not the primary interest on something old.

Both websites look hideous desu. You don't have to be style-blind or style-seeing to recognize a site using default bootstrap.js.

>if it doesn't look establishment it's a scam and if you disagree you're "blind". Also CNN is the best source of news

fucking retarded normies

I thought the last puppy release was like 5 years ago?

My school uses Slackware

Can you run it from a HDD or does it always run in the RAM?

It is not just about looking establishment. Nobody would mistake mebious.neocities.org/ for a scam.

how about Crux?

Attached: Crux.jpg (1024x768, 154K)

it's not even selling anything

I have love for puppy. It's cute.

Puppy is great. It was my first distro and I still use it from time to time, despite using arch on my main machine.

I like puppy a lot. It enabled me to revive an old laptop and make an emulation machine out of it.

Slacko Puppy is nice too

Tell that to Xubuntu, 400mb on boot sure is fun, meanwhile Lubuntu chads are barely on 140mb.

This
It still runs smoothly on my old desktops but the only problem is the power usage
Thats not a thing the OS can fix tho
Bless that australian dude and his dead dog

I booted puppy linux and it fucking barked at me. Like I'm booting puppy as a system rescue and I have to deal with this childish shit? no thanks I'll just use a gentoo live usb next time

You must be fun at parties.

It's no worse than Ubuntu's fucking bongo drums