We are in age where computers were for so long that a lot of stuff became surrounded by myths...

We are in age where computers were for so long that a lot of stuff became surrounded by myths. These were created years before zoomers and some millenials, who now follow them without knowing the real reason.

Would there be any point in attempting to explain these myths to the zoomers? Would they be interested or would I be laughed at, because at this point stuff like a "computer virus" is so abstract? It's so distant that zoomers believe in the "common sense" meme so hard that explaining dangers of viruses, trojans, adware and such would be basically a tale of 1001 nights to them?

Attached: 742.jpg (1536x2048, 489K)

everyone knows computers are (an outdated) magical box that does stuff, viruses are stuff that makes your pc and phone slow (they also install themselves) and phones are magical glass things that can do anything. hackers are people in hoodies, type very fast and hack anything in seconds.
just let them fucking die, natural selection 2.0. we need people to clean the toilets and make our food

>just let them fucking die
but I see a lot of stuff I know and I understand on Jow Forums, but I'm baffled at dumb explanations and answers zoomers come up with. You know, I'm a nerd and I'll remain one even if my hobby got absorbed into the mainstream.

Some zoomers can understand it, most of them are beyond help though. All in all I wouldn't waste my time with them

It's for the best that zoomers sont understand computers. How will i get paid to fix their problems?

I'm not sure I get what you're trying to say. I had this mentality before, that I wanted the world to understand computing and technology like I did, that there are no such things as magic boxes. I gave up because not only most of them just can't absorb the information, but because they simply _don't care_. They want technology to be little black, magic boxes, and understanding something hard and useless is completely pointless for them. If you happen to know someone interested and/or that you care about and have patience with (a good friend, a lover, family, idk) and want to explain stuff to them (remember the interest part. it's no use forcing stuff into their throats if they don't want it or find it boring), give it a shot. It's not a matter of you either know computing or die a complete ignorant, however there are people not interested that'll never learn, on purpose

>where computers were for so long that a lot of stuff
Nigger what

/Thread

spoiler: OP is making a blog which would be explaining evolution of computers and how the old stuff influenced the modern computers (read: triggering sjw with terminology like master and slave) and this thread is pooling whenever there's a potential for creating a niche. There's no world saving, only pure profit from blog advertising and affiliate links.

This book explains why it's probably like this. The way GUI's have been designed since the early days is to create a system of metaphors, which helps people get to using the computer but they get misled in the process, so when something goes wrong it contradicts what they think they know about their machine. The best example is editing a document in something like ms word. People understand the concept of putting shit on a page, but when you're writing on paper you don't expect it to vanish into the ether if you don't "save" (a concept that doesn't really exist outside of computers), or for it to suddenly become corrupt and change all the symbols into gobbledygook.
Imagine if from day one someone was taught that the letters they're typing are a string of bytes, they're held in RAM, and that you create copies on a storage device.
There's nothing about that that's more complicated than a metaphor that's not even consistent, but it makes you a lot more equipped to actually use a computer and not be a inconvenienced by it.

Attached: in-the-beginning-was-the-command-line.png (430x648, 316K)

What the fuck is a zoomer?

gen z faggot

*dabs on you*
nothin personal gramps go play with your commodore

Thanks, user. That's a great post. Initially, I was going to focus mostly on stuff that zoomers encounter daily, like user was asking today "why old OSes were unsafe". Most of people nowadays weren't even alive when having your IP seen meant a port 139 attack from a botnet organized by a 13 y.o. or how could pinging disconnect people from the internet. I'm also amazed how 3rd and 2nd world "joined" the internet so late so they never experienced the internet without google or baidu, for example, explaining some of their choices.

>I'm also amazed how 3rd and 2nd world "joined" the internet so late
Are you referring to bobs and vagene and their entire lack of self awareness?

The heat is making my posts gibberish and grammar is out for fishing or making mittens for my cats. There's a literal heat wave alert in euro-land and every hour I can hear ambulances coming for old people with strokes or fainting. Most of places don't use AC because temperatures never reach this level and most euro countries have only 1-2 weeks that are "hot", every second year. Worst summer ever.

I mean in 3rd world people don't realize that the internet isn't owned by google and microsoft to explain it easily. Most of them started using it during web 3.0 and don't distinguish private owned company provided services and internet as physical cables that can be used to transfer any sort of data. Like, itodlers confuse sms with apple messaging service or why data in the cloud isn't "yours", because they never experienced a service shut down that'd cut them away from "their" stuff.

idk what makes you think that. I'm from a 3rd world country myself and the computer illiterate people I know aren't that dumb. The concept of the internet itself (to a certain degree), google and microsoft, the cloud (except they don't think as computers somewhere storing their data). I don't think american or euro zoomers are any smarter than the ones from south america

>tfw have willingly made myself computer illiterate because of outright hatred of technology after majoring in it in college.

Guess I'm a zoomer now

How is common sense a meme? It's still valid you realize no matter what you think a virus is

why are you here?

90% of streetshitting pajeets & dog-gnoshing gooks think 'facebook' *is* the internet.
Ps Pajeet detected
>Hurry Hadji, your Java app can wait - your curry is getting cold!

Attached: d39.png (1170x1169, 338K)

>t. zoomer with an overactive imagination

This post made me imagine a scenario where you start explaining something technical to an old person as they smile at you, and then when you stop talking, they laugh and say "oh you kids and your computers" or "I never really got this complicated stuff, haha" as if it's okay to just no understand things.

>like how do these apps even work i mean right? how can the appstore even know what apps i like y'know?
>dude i uploaded my selfie to gdrive and it said its in the cloud holy shit my pictures are in the sky bro why dont ppl just start posting pictures to gdrive and change the weather

>they never experienced a service shut down that'd cut them away from "their" stuff.

>bebo photos gone
>msn chats scattered like tears in the rain
>gamemaker forums resources lost
Lucky zoomers who don’t have to deal with this pain