Why do people like Python?

Why do people like Python?

As far as I'm concerned, it's the comic sans of programming languages.

Attached: python.png (601x203, 82K)

Cool opinion bro.

>easy to learn
>easy to use
>lots of good resources and libraries
>fast to program
>django, flask

t. obvious retard
>easy to learn
>quick on-the-go scripts
>array[-1] :)
>python
> ;

>>fast to program
Insanely low to execute to the point that you win time by using C instead.

Attached: sin.jpg (768x768, 194K)

Because it's just so fucking easy to work with.

The point of programming is to program, not to fucking work around a stupid language to do basic tasks

multiplatform
easy
you can write quick scripts that does the job
and big ass nigga amount of libraries

I was always interested but using forced indentation instead of curly braces is retarded. They can keep their meme language.

I like Python because it's similar to C so switching between them feels seamless

C is multiplatform.
Go is easy.
Go allows you to write quick scripts that do the job.
C++ has big-ass nigga amounts of libraries.

>can't understand indentation

Attached: 1523503592582.jpg (645x773, 80K)

comic sans is one of the most popular fonts bro

>the benefits of this one language are in these multiple different languages!

Attached: 1516850961609.png (488x463, 35K)

>my language has nothing exceptional, so it must be good

Attached: brainlet35.png (645x729, 107K)

I really like this image

>multiplatform
sucks on wangblows
>easy
subjective
>you can write quick scripts that does the job
so can many other scripting languages
>and big ass nigga amount of libraries
Any PL with proper C ffi has the world as a library

What did you say?

Attached: file.png (516x526, 264K)

>whitespaces having a syntactic meaning is not retarded
>y-you just don't understand
no, it's simply retarded. might be useful for actual retards and normies but not for me.

if sin^-1 x = arcsin x then (arcsinx)prim = (sin^-1x)prim = (1/sinx)prim = -1/cos^2x
?

>Any PL with proper C ffi has the world as a library

>People believe this

How slow it runs usually doesn't matter. What matters is how fast software can be deployed.
If you use python speed isn't your concern.
Why fa/g/ots can't comprehend that different languages are used for different scenarios?

is this "thing i like vs thing i dont like" template no.7493?

>If you use python you belong in high school.
Glad we agree on that.

Only beginner programmers think that performance is everything.

There are many other factors to software development, such as readability, reuseability, speed of coding, time to deployment, etc. Performance might not even be relevant depending on the application you are building. Why would you waste ten hours writing your own web server in C when you can get one up and running in Python in less than 5 minutes? Just to shave off a few tens of milliseconds in your response time? No professional developer thinks this way.

Likewise, Python is one of the popular programming languages.

Educators deliberately use comic sans to accommodate retards who can't read. Which makes it a fitting comparison.

I dont have to compile my stuff. Python/bash does all the work i do

Python admittedly looks like psuedocode and therefore appears to be an easy language to learn and use. But its a poorly designed and inconsistent language when you compare it to how well OO is implemented in Ruby. For people who are not programmers but need to use a programming language in their job for light scripting it still may appear easy to use but is only useful because its popularity means there are plenty of niche libraries. The only major win that Python has its very intuitive and full featured comprehension syntax which blows away conventional mapping/iterator functions.

comic sans is a useful font, not that you'd know since you just hate things based on popular conjecture

If you don't value readbality, youre probaby a neet neckbeard whos never worked in a project

IF ANYONE USES ANY OTHER LANGUAGE OTHER THAN ME THEY ARE STUPID.

>comic sans of programming languages
You spelled Java/script wrong.

I'm a brainlet that just started learning to code. I decided to do python first. Did I make a mistake?

Not really, you could have started with C or C++ but Python is fine if you move on to other things eventually. Just don't move on to Java.

I do want to eventually learn C and C++. I just thought because its viewed as easy to learn I could start there and build.
>Just dont move on to Java
What's wrong with Java?

People like Python because it just works. Yes, it's for the lowest common denominator, but most people don't care about quality.

Everyone's gotta start somewhere, personally I started with C++ and then "moved on" to learn Webdev shit and sometime later learned Python.
>What's wrong with Java?
A lot but the biggest problem with Java/script is the mentality that seems to follow with it. But my biggest personal problem with it is it performs worse than the alternatives.

i create a list using one line in python, then i can add elements on the top, on the back, remove elements on the top, on the back, add/remove in a certain position, sort, reverse, etc etc etc...
meanwhile in c.......

I do value readability and I'm very mindful about how I format my code. Ruby and Java are more readable than Python and the OO syntax isn't retarded. I also do not find comic sans easy on the eyes but apparently dyslexics find it easier to read.

>t. I'm literally retarded

>Java/script
Who the fuck says Java/script? How can you know C++ but not understand that Java and JS are completely different languages?

That's exactly why I say Java/script you mongoloid. Java and JS are completely different languages and still both suck ass.

I like it but sadly, it's not Lisp

They are in no way comparable and you're clearly retarded if you think you can conflate them as "Java/script."

The organization I work for has a single python script in our codebase; It runs specialized health checks. The python script works as expected, is easy to extend, and can run on any modern platform.

The application would be a nightmare to maintain if it were written in half the shit Jow Forums is shilling.

best to write small scripts on. Like resizing bulk images in a folder takes like 4-5 lines. It's accessible and simple, as opposed to fucking java or c

I'm the brainlet he was talking to and even I know what he meant. I think you're a little too upset

I think you are a little arseblasted friendo. Everyone that has spent three minutes learning any coding language knows what is meant when he says Java/script.

#include
Try again.

Because it's Lisp done right.

>colleage sends you an HDF file with some new data
>"figure out if there's some easily spotted groups in this, will ya, user?"
>write some code to read data from an HDF5 file, implement k-means clustering, and do a scatterplot, colouring in the various groups
>fuck that, pull up IPython

import h5py
from scipy.cluster.vq import kmeans2, vq
from matplotlib import pyplot as plt

mydata = h5py.File('/path/to/data.h5', 'r')

obs = [mydata['x'][:]. mydata['y'][:]]
centroids, _ = kmeans2(obs, k=5, iter=100)
idx, _ = vq(obs, centroids)

for i in range(5):
plt.plot(obs[0][idx==i], obs[1][idx==i],
color=f'C{i}')
plt.show()

I don't give a shit if C can run the equivalent of this 5000x faster. I've written these 15 lines quicker than you can create a new directory for your C project and created a makefile.

Know what the task is, and know what an hour of your work is worth. Then choose the best and most efficient tool for said task.

If you must choose between NodeJS andere python, what would you choose and why?
For me it's Python hands fucking down. Besides the obvious that JS wasn't meant to be a run outside of a webpage context, Python is so much easier to read.

>he didn't create the list in one line

Attached: takingthebait.png (624x628, 81K)

Maybe your organization should stop hiring brainlets

ES6 is a half ass fix to all the problems of ES5 mainly due to staying compatible with ES5. Add class-based OO was not done well as it should. Dart is everything that ES6 tried but failed to be.

Newfriend here, over the past month I've developed an interest in Python. I've never done any programming before. I have a degree in English Literature and I also studied German. I've become more familiar with data types and basic functions, loading and working with a few modules. I wrote a dice game and a lottery game using the random module. Also sort of played making a text based game similar to Zork. Anyway, I'm really interested in machine learning. I got a copy of "Introduction to Machine Learning with Python" and I'm slowly working my way through it. Just wondering how many of you guys do any of this and how did you start? Any helpful replies greatly appreciated.

you're low iq and low test

These posts are fucking spot on. It's not about how cool you are, it's about getting shit done.

Yeah, you can jerk off about how fast your whatever shitty algorithm is if you want, but most of us actually have goals we want to accomplish in a reasonable timespan, so we use tools that make that possible.

>need to do thing
>open python
>import thing
>thing()
>it does thing

gzip to zpaq, my friend.

Do what languages do you use and what do you use them for?

I used to like it, but then I tried the arduino IDE and coding some shit there and realized I can write terrible C and it's still faster than python.

Dog you can't start learning to program by learning ML you have to be proficient in programming (and calculus III) and then learn ML

No matter what language you give me, nothing will ever make me not hate handling low level I/O

>you can't start learning to program by learning ML
Sure you can. The most important requirement to learning anything is interest. If he wants to set his goal as ML then there's nothing stopping him and plenty of people have done the same before.
>calculus III
Arguably all you really need to know is derivation and integration and the concepts behind them.
A case can occasionally be made for sequences and series, but polar coordinates helps pretty much nobody.

Now Linear Algebra, that's a real useful branch.

Anyways if you're doing data science monkey shit your primary concern is only understanding statistics.

Import c/c++ modules as native on python
Do business code on top
Profit

>oo shitter

opinion discarded

tensorflow - the graph isnt being executed in python anyway so why not use the most convenient language?
easy data manipulation
extensive library support

a lot of the complaints in this thread are academic in nature but ironically, python is one of the most popular scientific programming languages barring fortran

Attached: 1529879949711.png (413x374, 199K)

Yeah you're right, I was thinking it might be a lot easier not to delve into a difficult topic that's easy to (esp in python) copy-paste code and say "look I did it". And yeah you're also right that you don't need a lot of calc III specifically, but if you really want to understand the theory I think you need to be extremely proficient with derivation and integration, not just able to do them at a calc I/II level. I'm not a professional ML guy though I only do cloud PoC stuff for a company, not ML

1/10 bait, go back to shitposting about Java pajeet.

Python is for quick and dirty automation scripts, and workflow improvement tools, not for actual development.
That being said whitespace syntax is the single most disgusting concept and the faggot responsible for it should go fuck himself.

>Because it's Lisp done right.
typical brainlet level comment of python users

python has the worst high order function features of any scripting language

>numpy
>scipy
>matplotlob
>pandas
Now kys yourself

Attached: 1516713495475.jpg (744x752, 72K)

>Python is for quick and dirty automation scripts, and workflow improvement tools, not for actual development.
Disqus, Instagram, Pinterest, The Washington Post, The Guardian, The Onion, Spotify, Eventbrite, Quora, Dropbox, Reddit, Survey Monkey, Bitly, Youtube, Mahalo, Playfire, Prezi, JSfiddle. All applications built using Python. Virtually every major tech company uses Python in same manner.

Anyone who believes Python is a language not suitable for enterprise development needs to go tell silicon valley to stop using it for enterprise development so much, because they apparently haven't gotten the memo.

>That being said whitespace syntax is the single most disgusting concept and the faggot responsible for it should go fuck himself.
If you're not properly indenting your code already, then you're not producing readable code, and therefore you don't deserve to call yourself a programmer.

>Python is for quick and dirty automation scripts, and workflow improvement tools, not for actual development.
Then why the fuck is Django so popular

>he chooses languages based on their syntax aethestics

Attached: girls_laughing.jpg (446x400, 44K)

>enterprise development
>enterprise
>development
Lmao. Enterprise is a polite way of saying the corporately retarded.

>he posts laughingsluts.jpg

Subhumans.

these types of posts are endlessly frustrating because literally no one outside of Jow Forums thinks this way- I mean dismissing an entire language because YOU personally can't imagine an application for it. none of these posters would last a day in the real world with this aggressively anti-neophilic mentality

It's nice for scripting and automating boring tasks, that's why I use it, has good library support too. I used it recently for a larger project though and I struggled with it due to it not enforcing types which makes things harder to check, I prefer to catch stuff at compile than have odd behaviour at run time I can't work out.

My two colleagues love Python. For the one it's a MATLAB substitute, the other uses it for everything because Python has tons of libraries out.
I personally prefer Perl, but then again my work involves a lot of parsing and regular expression matching, and you can't beat Perl on that.

What are you writing scripts for all the time?

>my work involves a lot of parsing and regular expression matching, and you can't beat Perl on that
>what is ruby

People who argue about programming languages are simpletons.

It's like having a flame war over wrenches vs. hammers.
Reconsider your life choices.

Attached: 1520875161509.jpg (480x528, 43K)

why do people hate comic sans? I can not even tell it is comic sans until some autist starts reeeing

>I can not even tell it is comic sans until some autist starts reeeing
maybe its time to check your eyes
comic sans is very easy to recognize

maybe if you like try to get yourself triggered by everything
it looks the same as a lot of similar fonts to me