Coming from windows, i just installed mint to try out linux

coming from windows, i just installed mint to try out linux.
didn't do anything except change some themes (Mint-Y Dark) and some random web browsing, walked away to get some snacks and came back to this.

Is this a fucking joke? a lock screen that just locks the main monitor and lets me move my mouse to the second monitor and use that? it didn't even bother locking my second monitor and let at accept keyboard and mouse inputs. it even let me open up the terminal

please tell me linux isnt really this shit. that it's not just made by amateurs. and that the only good thing that it has for itself in security is that no one uses it so no one bothers to try any kind of pen testing or write any malware for it.

Attached: screenshot.png (3839x1079, 908K)

Other urls found in this thread:

jwz.org/xscreensaver/versus-xlock.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>please tell me linux isnt really this shit. that it's not just made by amateurs. and that the only good thing that it has for itself in security is that no one uses it so no one bothers to try any kind of pen testing or write any malware for it.
Debian and anything based on it is absolute shit like this. Most linux distros are also like this.

The BSDs work a lot better because they have a much more sane development model but hardware support is pretty limited and you have to use the terminal quite a lot so if you don't like unix it's probably not for you.

That's just the Linux experience™

Linux is a joke

I only use Linux for servers, but I think something like Fedora be more secure since its an upstream source for Red Hat's enterprise distro so its actually maintained by a real company and not a bunch of neckbeards on their free time.

>He uses anything except Fedora ©, sponsored by Red Hat, Inc ®

Attached: Untitled.png (800x800, 1.11M)

lmao you must have done something retarded to make this happen. doesn't happen on my machine.

i had an old box lying around that needed an os so i just installed linux because it was one of the most popular ones according to distrowatch.
i assumed it wouldn't have shit like this happening because it was popular and being used by a lot of people (or at least have been tried out by a lot of people)
i'm adverse to trying out bsd since i've only really used windows and even linux is baby steps for me
is fedora actually any good? or should i just install gentoo

I don't know what environment you're using, but I use i3wm with two monitors and it does not have this problem.

Perhaps you're running separate X sessions between the monitors. That's the best explanation I can think of, besides it being a bug. I can't imagine how you'd do that by accident, though.

its a default linux mint 19 cinnamon with all the updates. all i changed was the appearance/themes to mint-y dark
the lock screen only locked the main screen. leaving my other monitor free to be messed with whatever i had on there.

Fedora is good. For a desktop environment I would suggest either Cinnamon (the default for Mint) or KDE. Also if you want more options for software check out RPMFusion.

Attached: WMwqArI.jpg (480x568, 31K)

As soon as anyone gets physical access to a machine all security is out the window.
Lock screens are just normalfag shit lmao. If you really want to lock your pc do killall cinnamon, exit.

Serious response
nobody uses bsd except the top .001% of autists
forget gentoo, it's a meme distro designed to waste your time
linux mint is also sort of a meme and is known to be buggy and retarded for no reason
trying xubuntu should be mandatory for everyone who wants to try linux.

There are only four real distro without any kind of these embarassing problems/bugs
Ubuntu
Fedora
SUSE
ChromeOS

All these four have real companies behind

>linux mint is also sort of a meme and is known to be buggy and retarded for no reason
I agree that it's a meme, but I haven't heard too much about it being buggy. I used it a long time ago and the only issue I remember was that the cinnamon panel was a bit wonky, so Steam notifications would appear under it instead of on-top of it. I believe that's fixed now.

>Opensuse
>Fedora
>Solus
Just pick one of these and call it a day

mint 19 is a giant nonsense.
I'm switching to devuan.

t. mint user for a long time.

Linux isn't really that shit, but Mint is. You chose a shitty meme distro, sorry bud.

>As soon as anyone gets physical access to a machine all security is out the window.
>Lock screens are just normalfag shit lmao. If you really want to lock your pc do killall cinnamon, exit.
This. As soon as I get my hands on your keyboard I'm just 28 backspaces away from pwning your ass.

except latest xubuntu is also fucked up.
avoid systemd based distributions.
Try refractaOS, devuan, they're easy to install and give the same experience but without the giant bug.

This desu. If your physical security allows unauthorised access to a machine, your pc is fucked anyway.
What you're really talking about when you say 'security'' is not letting your mom see your exhentai browser window.

Fedora is quite shit. Get openbsd or freebsd if you want to get your hands dirty. If u want to stay on linux try soemthing more corporate liie centos maybe or maybe opensuse. I haven't tried them though.

> he doesn't know how to get root access by pressing only two buttons
noob

>DOORLOCKS IS JUST NORMALFAG SHIT LMAO
linux apoligists are like Nintendo fans.

First 2 are incorrect, havent tried the rest.

Yeah it's true really, door locks are there just to maintain an illusion of security, just like your lock screen. The law provides more security that your fag door lock.

Do you realize you can require password for single user mode? Ure the noob

Remove your door locks or shut the fuck up autist

Fedora is actually good.

I realistically use Fedora on my desktop and centos on my vps. (Centos is also red hat just like fedora)

Oh yeah, I guess I should have mentioned never use the latest ubuntu. Always use 1 or 2 versions older. Christ, linux distros are a mess.

*if youre a noob and dont know how to operate your system

all youre really telling everyone is that youve no idea how to use *nix machines

Speaking of linux being retarded, why did my debian install suddenly fuck itself? I apt-get upgraded one day to find that I can no longer install anything because dpkg is fucked and there's seemingly no way to fix it without reinstalling, since I can't install anything anymore.

Just use Kali :^)

Debian sucks

It’s a bunch of neckbeards who get paid to work on it in their free time

Maybe it’s a bug. File a report or just install something upstream mint is trash

absolute imbecile
just restart the machine and change root pw at startup.

> centos

centos is for servers. Cent and Fedora are both by redhat. Fedora is good. you don't know what you're talking about. cent for desktop rofl

ITT
>legit giant fucking security hole
>50% "user error"
>50% "use another distro"
>freetards wonder why they're not credible and have 1% market share

Attached: 1523333204492.jpg (534x534, 21K)

bsd isn't another distro

>the exception that proves the rule speaks

This. Fuck these nerds.

The concept of a lock screen is harmful bloat. Install alpine, openbsd or plan 9.

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (500x335, 19K)

Well lock screens are useless, anyone with physical access to the machine can fuck it up, why would another wallpaper and a some password stop them

>openbsd

it's like you enjoy eating shit

No u

Just install gentoo faggot

Stop trying to help people who doesn't want to be helped especially if you end up receiving replies like these Seriously fuck that guy let it to rotten

Shut up fag

>implying anything in this thread is remotely helpful
No, it's all blame-shifting - something freetards are experts at (frankly, because of soooooo much practice).

Linux isn't, this is an issue with X.
We've been trying to work ourselves out of X for a while but in their infinite wisdom the Wayland developers have decided to ignore every user who can't get a usable experience with their compositing and also making Wayland just a front end for X in the form of Xwayland.

Also, mint is easily the worst of the mainstream distributions.

>Stop trying to help people
Where? You mean in this thread?

Linux Mint is p shit, don't know why people recommend it. Debian, Fedora, OpenSUSE, and Void have this working in my experience under KDE, Gnome, etc.

Fedora strikes a good balance between offering bleeding edge software and still being stable. Changing your DE takes only one command, which is very useful for beginners who don't know which one to choose (at least it was for me).
dnf (the current package manager) is slower than apt, but overall better and the repos aren't filled with tons of outdated software. The drawback is, that many devs provide .deb packages for their software, but not .rpm, so you are forced to compile from source more often.
The community isn't as large as say Ubuntu's, but also not made up by as many retards (i.e. you will find less results for a problem, but you don't have to weed through tons of stupid or plain out wrong solutions before you find the right one).

In the end you shouldn't exclusively base your decision on what anons on Jow Forums tell you. Set up a VM and try out different distros. Once you feel comfortable with one, you can try it out for real.

You don't have a password on your phone? You don't lock your doors?

He doesn't own a phone nor a door

>Maybe it's a bug
no shit

that's just the way it is
>do fresh install of debian stable
>install is long af because apt is dumb
>reboot
>change sources list to sid because firefox and up to date shit
>upgrade (long as fuck again) and reboot
>now hours later I'm finally going to play my shitty game, just one more step
>apt install winehq-staging
>candidate is wine32-staging but is not going to be installed
>wut why
>try to install it every way possible
>downgrade to testing
>nothing
>install another distro
>works
fuck debian

only use corporate backed distros, Fedora, ubuntu, or openpepe

this
just install Fedora, openSUSE, Manjaro or Debian OP

you are retarded, fuck off, onions boy

First, Linux is a kernel, it doesn't have any lockscreen.
I have no idea how the hell did you accomplished that, but I've never used Mint. But that also the reason why I use Arch. Something this retarded can just happen and you have no idea whats going on because it all was preinstalled.
Are you sure you installed newest version and updated your system? Did you tried to search "mint only one screens lockscreen" or something? Do you have multihead setup? Also try xubuntu.

>all this retards defending serious security issue because some crazy hAxx0rs may still easily break through
this kind of locks arent meant to prevent some rouge physical access and yet alone rebooting from live environment
they are there so your co-workers or random people that pass by your workstation wont see what you are working on, even the slightest glimp

Are you retarded?
No one is defending this issue, everyone is saying that Mint is bugged and shouldn't be used.

This is why no one takes loonix seriously

>Um dude, why is this thing broken
>IT'S NOT BROKEN
>Yeah man it is, can't you see?
>NO IT'S PERFECT YOU FAGGOT PEBKAC GO BACK TO WANGBLOWS

this a hundred times. I feel a lot better leaving my desk with my laptop on knowing a simple password prompt is there in case some fag tries to fuck with it. I'm not expecting a NSA hacker come to my house or my workplace and break into my computer

>28 backspaces away from pwning your ass.
Fucking Linux man.

>>IT'S NOT BROKEN
Said no one.

Windows 7 doesn't have this problem.

that last paragraph is actually completely true guess you should go back to windows and not come back.
ever.
bye.

>Red Hat, Inc.
>By Pajeets, For Pajeets
yeah> no

mint a shit
people recommending it should be flogged

LINUXFAGS ABSOLUTELY BLOWN THE FUCK OUT
OBLITERATED
REKT
DE_STROYED
TOLD

Attached: 1532228538486.jpg (445x400, 53K)

that sounds like a problem with just your window manager and not the kernel you are using.

are you using the cinnamon DE? if so then thats why. cinnamon is the most buggy shit ive seen for a DE.

using a lock screen while running the xorg server is basically only useful if someone who doesnt know linux very well. even in the lock screens you can litterally press ctrl + alt + f1 and just open up the tty that the x server is running from and do ctrl + c to stop it and you can remain logged in to the account you started x with. one way to prevent this is to end the x server session and logout of your account

actually im pretty sure they fixed that.

jwz warned us but we laughed
jwz.org/xscreensaver/versus-xlock.html

i meant to say:
using a lock screen while running the xorg server is basically only useful if someone who doesnt know linux very well trys to access your computer when you are away

>see a bunch of "I want to try out Linux" threads
>Jow Forums recommending and arguing over arch vs x but to not fall for mint or manjaro or any other derivative of another distro distros
>"I installed mint" threads pop up daily for the last 3 months
I feel like I've seen a small streisand wave this summer

I was almost getting excited for Mint then I realized I could not use hybernate with an encrypted disk. What a fucking joke indeed.

>hurr random X distro doesn't support Y feature I want
Just pick the one that does what you want instead of picking something everyone tells you to avoid.
Learn2distro.

>be hackerman
>walkin down tha street
>carrying monitor, not suspicious at all
>whistlin' zippity doo da
>walk up to locked linux machine
>plug in monitor
>i'm in bois

>walked away to get some snacks

Maybe it's trying to tell you something, fatty.

Mint and Cinnamon are memes. Install a different distro with a different DE. Preferably Xubuntu, or Debian with XFCE.

>A feature of a version of a piece of software included in the desktop environment of one of the many linux distributiom bundles has a bug with how the current version of my gpu driver handles monitor detection

>linux is such a piece of shit

I think you're more of a Windows or MacOS kind of person.

Attached: 1519509260868.jpg (554x439, 106K)

Works on my machine. No one needs 2 monitors

Use Ubuntu Mate. Mint has been garbage for a while now

Linux is like that, it's different. But really you just chose a known shit distor

>actually im pretty sure they fixed that.
They had to fix the ultimate backdoor of pressing backspace to get into any system?

That's nice of them. What else have they fixed?

correction:
Mint
Debian
Arch
Elementary OS

Chrome OS is good, but it's not a distro

>Linux Mint
Found your problem

You should probably file a bug report rather than shitposting on Jow Forums about it.

Haha is that cinnamon? Fucking kek. Try xubuntu or Debian+xfce and stop docking around with this garbage.

>I don't believe in locks because anyone can just pick them
>I don't believe in walls because if someone really wanted to see inside they could just break them down
Security is all about making things to hard to bother. Most people are not going to bother learning how and hacking your PC. Many people will snoop around on your PC if they see it's unlocked though.

Attached: iu.jpg (1300x921, 457K)

>recommending the same distro that OP found a massive security bug
People this retarded actually exist

Attached: 1482597035382.jpg (500x500, 55K)

Attached: agree.gif (325x245, 1.18M)

Works on my machine :)