The fact that supersonic aerocraft programes have been halted due to "Civilian Noise Concerns" is a statement to how...

The fact that supersonic aerocraft programes have been halted due to "Civilian Noise Concerns" is a statement to how average people will ruin technological progress for any reason

Attached: NewXPlane-FINAL.jpg (2400x1598, 348K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cbPh2llw0-M&disable_polymer=1
youtube.com/watch?v=43Kl7c2yU3g
youtube.com/watch?v=MNyG-xu-7SQ
youtu.be/43Kl7c2yU3g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>I think companies always tell the truth and never lie
retard

>have been halted
Keep believing that, goy

>REEEEEE normies
Great thread

Subsonic airplanes are much more efficient.

You should go to the smartphone thread, that appeals more to your interest.

yes because having a sound wave of a mach 2 airplane passing above you is so peacefull
let me give you a perspective
the space shuttle was producing 60pa on mach 4
concorde was producing 113pa at mach 2 thats almost 170db
170db is like having a fucking howitzer firing each and every second right on your ear

That or most other threads tbqh

That's not the primary reason

>large passenger plane does mach 2 over my house
>it breaks my fucking windows
t-thanks

Attached: 1533749332343.png (1920x1080, 3.68M)

you say that like the concorde had a flight ceiling of 1KM

sound has a stable pressure when air is a medium
perhaps you dont understand just how powerfull it is even when its cruising at 60.000ft
youtube.com/watch?v=cbPh2llw0-M&disable_polymer=1
hear closely

Supersonic aircraft require a lot more maintenance which makes them economically nonviable. That's what actually happened.

>t. millenial faggot that doesn't remember Concorde bangs

underage or farmer detected. You have got to be kidding me, nobody who's heard a conic boom would have it near the house. It was out ruled over land in American for civilian planes, after it was tested, and windows in houses was shattered and unknowing citizens panicked in fear of emerging was against the soviets.

It's not the noise that's the problem it's the sonic boom breaking windows, waaay bigger problem with concorde than you'd think.

Wasn't there a Mythbusters episode where they flew a F-18 at transonic speeds near a single window panel multiple times and it didn't break? Noise is still the greatest concern.

WHAT DID YOU SAY user? YOU'RE MUMBLING, SPEAK UP

youtube.com/watch?v=43Kl7c2yU3g

Attached: f3342394640.jpg (848x480, 106K)

fuck that's a crazy thought. I'd probably just start laughing if that happened to me

f18 couldnt create a wide pressurized wave user
concorde was massive
not to mention that those olympus engines with the afterburner on could ressurect the dead ones..

there was a funny story when concorde went to japan
officials were so scared about the engine sounds at take off on 3 to 4 am that they had to make a 40 degree right turn right after takeoff resulting on 4 millions of damage from broken windows

Seasonic doesen't make planes idiot

>doesn't have thicker windows installed
>needing windows
>not having a camera on the other side of the wall streaming a live feed to a flat screen on the inside wall.

>shatters your camera

Based F-2000 pilot. Should've returned to drop a few bombs and strafe any politician unfortunate enough to be around at that moment.

you must be the funniest man alive

This. Enough people weren't willing to pay the premium necessary to justify continued flights. Companies fill our air with all kinds of real pollution and get away with it. What makes you think they couldn't get away with a little sound pollution?

Attached: get.in.faggot.jpg (669x500, 85K)

But also sonic booms are not "a little sound pollution". It would be highly disruptive if people and animals had to hear what sounded like explosions going off every few hours.

>carcinogens aren't a little pollution they're actually killing people
Our masters care not about our wellbeing.

Attached: 1534184441770.jpg (1600x2560, 334K)

>civilians should suffer to continue technological progress
he warned us

Attached: AP_1604041859125362.jpg (1200x675, 135K)

He waw right about everything.

Attached: national_skykingism.png (1000x600, 28K)

that's fucking cool

I demand supersonic planes NOW
youtube.com/watch?v=MNyG-xu-7SQ

fuck you I like to sleep.

Passengers want cheaper tickets, not faster flights. Even the wealthy would prefer luxury first class seats in a standard plane than standard seats in supersonic jet. Noise complaints didn't help, but even if they were perfectly silent the fact is that supersonic jets weren't economically viable.

Attached: Concorde_passenger_cabin.jpg (1280x853, 121K)

What if you don't go supersonic until the aircraft reaches a certain altitude, and slow down before descending to destination?

if supersonic flight is made more profitable than subsonic, airlines will pull off some money magic to work their way around noise complaints faster than it took the concorde to cross the atlantic

>live feed to a flat screen on the inside wall instead of windows
does anybody even do that?

Supersonic jets are very inefficient at slow speeds since they're designed as such, so increasing the time spent at subsonic speeds increases fuel burn. And these jets already burn through a lot of fuel even at their most efficient flight profile.

And I'm not sure about the Concorde,but fighters often do zoom climbs where they accelerate and then pitch up to climb. I wouldn't be surprised if the Concorde did the same.

In a text book on control systems autopilot was brought up and it was mentioned that pitching down for a little while to gain speed then climbing often results in a faster climb. However there is a speed limit of ~200kts in some air space around airports. I believe it was class C and B which is pretty much any airport big enough to have enough business to justify a concorde flight. Big commercial jets tend to keep the throttle pretty high from takeoff and climb hard enough to stay under the speed limit. The faster they get out of B or C the better and one way out is through the top. Altitude is also your friend in the event of an emergency and the most common time for an engine failure in the air is after takeoff.

Attached: end.png (1000x288, 484K)

It'd be incredible for heating/cooling efficiency but it wouldn't be nearly as nice as a real window because 3d.

Yup, you're right. I'm a pilot myself and I recall learning the same thing at some point. Imagine what a Concorde would sound like if it went full power in order to get the fuck outta of the airport control zone. Even then, it'd still be over land if the airport wasn't near the coast and wouldn't be able to cross M1.

Not to mention it was small as fuck and had shitty seats. Making it larger or more comfortable would only make the fuel costs go up one way or another.

this and olny this

NASA is researching a low boom, or rather anti-boom supersonic design. They are already testing prototypes over residential areas.

no one needs to go supersonic, its pointless

Not really, Concorde always had its niche with rich people willing to pay a premium to hop across the pond in just 3 hours. The problem here is somehow turning this into a viable business model for carriers.

actually, the reason was the cost, and a catastrophic accident which killed a bunch of people who were higher-ups in the food chain

Only in the USA.

I always thought it was 250kts. Learn something new every day.

Fuck off if I want some peace and quiet

based brfriend
anarchic coup detat 2018 fuck bolsonaro fuck lula fuck these memeass candidates

In a commercial scale? doubtful

sonic booms can break windows and shake houses, are you retarded?

They were actually halted because the main first class airline customer is businessmen. Said guys found that it was better to do a 9 hour flight and catch some sleep than to do a 3 hour flight and do nothing.

The worlds only Supersonic Airliner was European flying from France and the UK to the USA.
It was only allowed to fly supersonic over the Atlantic / unpopulated areas due to noise concerns.
Whenever it flew over populated areas around the world it was quickly stopped due to noise complaints from all sorts of governments.

If you ever heard a sonic boom from a relatively close flying aircraft you would agree.

Why so? It is a mature technology with over 60 years of baggage.

Not having to compromise between supersonic and subsonic performance allows for more airframe aerodynamic optimization. With L/D ratio being usually much higher in subsonic airliners, for example. Also you have the high-bypass turbofans which has its optimal operating range at high subsonic speeds and is extremely efficient.

You'd need an enormous SST to carry the same amount of passengers as your typical widebody airliner due to aerodynamic design considerations again, think Boeing 2707.

It looks good at nasa one
roger
BCS arm switch is on
Okay Victor
Landing rocket arm switch is on, here comes the throttle, circuit-breaker's in.
We have seperation.
roger
inboard and outboards are on. i'm coming forward with the sidestick.

Attached: lifting_body_experimental_craft.png (443x329, 155K)

Found the retarded Gen Z kiddie that's never heard a Condord going super sonic, or see how much fuel they burn, or experienced how uncomfortable the seats were, or saw how much the tickets cost

You can get to almost anywhere in the world in like 2-3 days tops, planes are fast enough for the vast majority of flyers. The final deciding factor for most people now days is cost

went from manila to ottawa in 23 hours, not bad really.

I couldnt sleep tokyo to vanouver though cause the nip hottie next to me kept putting her feet up on the back on the arm rests spread eagle like at a gyno and putting her hand between our seats firmly against my thigh

i've never been so horny on a plane ever, so i just kept ordering wine and the in-flight food was freaking awesome.

Attached: 1484196327422.gif (240x180, 961K)

The business model died because rich people would rather spend the money on first class tickets, leave JFK at night, sleep on their own bed on the plane, and arrive at Heathrow in the morning

It is 250 knots, though I think national regulations can keep it lower but not higher.

Also helps fend of attackers if it ever comes to that.
Let's see them break in or try to throw a flashbang through a wall

>Passengers want cheaper tickets
Something that will never happen. All the (((competing))) airlines agree to price gouge.

Land of the free

>getting felt up by angry black people making $8 an hour only to be packed onto a tin shitcan like cattle and have your luggage stolen

>t. boomer faggot that wouldn't think that even in the middle of the night that this was the most badass thing... how's you hip?

but did you shoot your shot?
make eye contact and then use your eyes to direct her eyes to your stiffy?
GrAb HEr bY tHe PuSSy?

Seize the means of production

How about these crafts flying in the highest layer of the atmosphere?

Ask Melon Tusk.

Getting them there is still costly as fuck.

>Relaxing, listening to relaxing tunes
> Suddenly WRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
n-no thanks

Wrong, SST is pains on head retarded unless there's a massive revolution in propulsion technology.

>t. 12yo boomer getting excited about boombooms that make an area totally useless for living
Go for another round of fortnite and leave your wet dreams be wet dreams because in reality, you would piss yourself and cry as soon as you'd hear the supersonic boom.

Attached: 1530955371512.jpg (1029x1000, 275K)

>supersonic aerocraft programes have been halted
Not all of them though, have they? Only airliners.
>average people
While it's true that being able to hear makes you 'average' in this regarded, it also makes you normal.

you need 1.5 sst's to carry 96% of the people from a typical jfk to hts flight a380
and still having 2 hours left to kill doing barrel rolls
you need 2.9 777s or a330 to fill the same quota on the same time as 2 concordes and still wasting 40 mins of flight

the concorde was viable even as a rich charter
but the amount of people that wanted SPEED over comfort wasnt enough

It'll affect ecology too.

That'd be fine assuming the fuel burn was similar, which it isn't. Not by a long shot.

communists belong on reddit.

Yeah, even its niche as a Courier/Fast travel for these hastily organized business meetings has been affected by the internet. Although, I could imagine some people wanting to fly in SSTs over the Pacific Rim to shave a few hours from those >12h flight times and also reduce jet lag.

the fuel burn isnt even a factor to begin with on a regular flight the ticket was up to 12000 bucks
on a charter was up to 30-40000 bucks
the plane was making money like hotcakes

the real problem was the engines and the fact that the last engineers were getting old too old to even care
add to that the fact that the line was pretty much closed for spare parts
and airbus didnt wanted to spend money on creating their own dedicated line for them (a380 was already being built as a prototype back then...)
it was simple economics really concorde will still be able to make money slower but still
but the a380 will make even more money on a even slower route

It was when all they had to compete with were Boeing 707s and 727s.

Source?

To whom are you referring to?

My windows don't even need boarding up during a Cat5 Typhoon and multiple earthquakes an year, why do murikans have these shitty thin windows that explode when you sneeze at em?

I mean I haven't even opted for the triple pane sound proofing windows that are 3.5inches thick.

What would the profit margins be for airlines with those prices today? Pretty slim, cause it'd have to pay for not just the fuel, but everything else from pilot training to engineering and repairs.

Not to mention that thing probably didn't have enough capacity to carry any cargo for additional profits.

747s were around when Concorde was flying too.

Imagine scaring a population under siege with night sonic booms. It must be scary af.

No, Concorde was ruined by jealous amerilards who couldn't bear the fact that a superior EUROPEAN plane would land on their goddamn soil.

Also I love the sound of jet engines. It has somehow a soothing effect on me. I wish I lived next to an airport or an army base.

But not when it was being developed, right?

Don't all major airports near city center centers close at around midnight due to noise regulations with existing aircraft already?

Sonic booms aren't a consideration for civilian airports.

Yes, but I am talking about a population under attack. Seems an interesting demoralising weapon.

Just charge a high mark-up so you can profit quite a bit from each passenger. The ticket prices would most likely be 2x that of Concorde due to inflation alone.

Yeah my dude let's see how you'd like to be in range for sonic booms.
Not stress inducing at all, especially for children, pets or you when your windows break.

I lived in an area near an air force base and I heard sonic booms at least once every couple months or so, it made me skip a heartbeat every time. Imagine civilian flights with regular daily sonic booms.

It's not wrrrrr, it's literally a boom. Like this: youtu.be/43Kl7c2yU3g

>pretty slim?
they marketed concorde as a premium charter
40.000 per person is HUGE its like 4 a380 at max capacity at 200 bucks for each seat

just for comparison in the automotive area
yesterday it was revealed that ferrari is earning 70000bucks from each car they sell
while toyota the second largest was earning 1375 bucks....
people were eager to pay for premium because concorde was unique it offered things you cant find today at all on a speed you wont find for decades to come..

why would you want to hault cargo on it? LOL

Yeah, both the 747 and Concorde entered service within a few years of each other.

At that point wont you be able to get a suite in an A380? It'll come back down to speed vs luxury. Question is, how many people are willing to pick speed.

What did it offer besides speed? The seats were crap compared to those on business or first class. Besides, how many people were willing to pay for a premium charter at those prices?

>totally useless for living
O K. i wouldnt fucking mind.

>All the (((competing))) airlines agree to price gouge.
I'm actually curious. Do airlines actually make money from the airline biz nowadays? Prior to the 2008 crash, they all operated at a loss. They made their money from finance. They were investment banks that used the attached airline business as collateral.

You win the golden Fedora award of this week, OP.

3.5 hours vs 8-9 hours
considering concorde was always filled up id say a lot of people
dont forget this plane practicly elliminated the jet lag so many ceo's buissness bla bla were regulary using it to travel