"Old computers are better"

No, they are shit, and you know it. You just want to use the most obscure shit ever to feel like you are not a normie. Your x60 and x220 sucks, they are slow, ugly, and with a dirty network.
What's the point of buying an old computer? Just buy a macbook, or at least the newest thinkpad.

You don't do anything with your computer, beside configuring it the all day, "UHUHUH GENTOO AND ARCH ARE FOR ELITE", no. Just no.

Attached: old.jpg (800x493, 41K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-Guide-Whitelist-remove-for-2014-Lenovo-thinkpad
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

replying to your thread on my x220 running arch.
be honest, how mad does it make you that you're too incompetent + stupid to use anything but the newest iShit?

The newset iShit is working instantly.
That's the big difference between us.
It's like you are buying a car, but without the wheels, how can you buy something not finished?

bait

>Old cars are shit, you shouldn't have to change oil or have the opportunity to customize/upgrade literally anything.
>Buy a Tesla, the added cost, expensive parts, and using an electric engine (which isn't green if you charge it using the grid) is just better!
>Or at least buy a new car which is 3 times the price and has to be maintained at a dealership because the whole goddamn engine is in a black box and non-user serviceable
T. Not interested in cars or computers

Why are you even on this board?

shit tier bait

You're not "woke" if you think you are, you're just a garbage scavenging dumbass that fell for the ebay refurbisher shills.

correct, we just configure things on our computer
>and code
>and this
so we want old computers

>T. Not interested in cars or computers

I just like to talk about programming, and i'm on this board for months now.
I just don't understand this elitism about old computers.

Wow, you're more mad than I thought you would be :)

I'm using a 10 year old desktop and 6 year old laptop. I still get frequent OS updates, and my laptop runs coreboot so I'm still covered there. No reason to upgrade if it still suits my needs, remains secure, and hasn't died yet. Nothing wrong with that.

why should I get the latest iShit to shitpost here and read news? tell me one good reason to pay more than 500$ for a computer that is way overkill for my needs.

>x220
>Old

If you can't get that working you shouldn't be using a computer.

Retard.

Also, I enjoy my x220's easy repairs/upgrades. It's always been a cinch to add more ram, a new wifi card, or multiple SSDs. Even the keyboard can be replaced in 5 minutes. I own two batteries because I can swap them out no problem.
Why would I pay more to buy something newer that I like less and that doesn't offer any meaningful upgrades over my current setup that's been running flawlessly for half a decade?

I'm no elitist about old hardware, but for the ones that are it's either the tinkering drive or nostalgia. I'm just saying it's fucking retarded to say that hobbyists that use something old they can tinker with as a daily driver is in any way wrong.
Hardware is computing too, especially for Linux/Unix users.

iShit is not the only alternative to old shitty X60s and X220s, dumbass.
You can get a brand new Acer with a 1080p screen, Quad Core CPU with 9 hours battery life for under $200.

You meanwhile have to buy an SSD, more RAM, a brand new battery at the cost of your refuckished laptop sending the total cost to over $350.

It's funny how they quietly raise the bar over the years. 8 years ago the T400 was "unusable chink shit", not le trve kvlt ThinkPad from the good old days.
Then the T410 suddenly was acceptable. DON'T BUY ANYTHING NEWER THOUGH. THEY'RE GARBAGE.
Now the T420 is accepted by retro hipsters but
>T430 AND NEWER ARE SHIT
I guarantee you, /tpg/ will recommend T460 and in 2-3 years.

>for months
fuck back off to le reddit, newfag

That's why I left the generals ages ago, it wasn't about getting value for money anymore, it has become a cult behind a fucking brand, no better than iFaggots.

I would love new computers if they had privacy and had user friendly modular OS's as an option.

New tools are only good if they perform to the specifications and needs of the user.

These new tools are built for the sole purpose of satisfying the creators ego.

nah thanks, i'm happy with my t410

Lol look at this small brained fuck who can't install a minimal BSD or Linux system. Get off Jow Forums, retard.

Attached: 1532118132198.jpg (635x631, 45K)

I use an old Dell Inspiron, because I honestly don't give a shit. The laptop itself was a few bucks and I've swapped the dead hard drive for an SSD, upgraded the ram, and upgraded the CPU. It was cheaper than buying anything new with better specs, I enjoyed the process, plus now have a work laptop than I've been up in the guts of. I love my laptop waifu, and she loves me.

Good for you, just don't pretend it's any better than any new laptop on the market. The glory days of Thinkpads as a value option are long gone.

I got nothing against you. Thinktards however, it's not about the joy of using older hardware to the fullest for them, it's about being in a cult, look how many of those general-goers have multiple thinkpads they post pictures of.

The most confusing part about you allegedly actually thinking this, is that you know enough to list some specific models, but are apparently blind to the reasons people always give. *00 or older ThinkPad has coreboot support. *20 or older has the better keyboard layout. *30 or older can at least use coreboot. Some features like socketed CPUs were removed after the T440p I believe. You have to understand that there are things besides raw power that matter. Things are becoming less freedom-respecting in all sorts of ways. Less repairable, more non-free software and firmware, harder to remove Intel ME, etc.

At least you listed a reason and not one of these retards shown in

I hope you understand that it's not just ThinkPads. Business laptops in general have a lot of cool features you just don't see on the consumer stuff. User-serviceable parts, docking stations, extra mouse buttons, pointing stick, etc.

>*00 or older ThinkPad has coreboot support
Meant libreboot

If you said this 3 years ago, I would agree, but these days laptops are so fucking cheap and powerful enough that you can get one that can run Linux comfortably for the price of a 9 cell Lenovo battery.

Inside of your secure laptop is a vulnerable processor with his own operating system, that can read and write into RAM, it can also use network while your secure laptop is off.

Sure, but if I want to use a pointing stick instead of a trackpad, I can't get just any laptop. I am limited to like four or five companies.

let em get a chance, I welcome anyone to Jow Forums so welcome

its not more or less elitism, its just that old computers did a certain thing, and that was "just work". I have a dell dimension PC and it still rocks

also, manufacturers have taken out the awesome feature packed bios and replaced it with a stripped down bios with like 4 settings. Old computer have always had those things

And, most computers are locked down to the guts. Surrounded by proprietary drivers and firmware making most Linux distros fail to function all in all properly, while old hardware most likely has the open firmware and supports the computer. Things like secure boot and uefi is now common on new computers making Linux hard enough to install.

Wrong. Apart from the keyboard, my x230 is very comfy. Currently running Debian sid so your other arguement is also wrong.

Based and redpilled

>we
1st person plural is a symptom of Reddit groupthink

>code

Attached: 1511253345021.jpg (400x400, 36K)

I dont know about you, but I like to challenge myself to use old hardware as efficiently as possible, like an old thinkpad with a gentoo install tailored just for it, utilising it's capability to the max extent. I dont want to waste my money on more ram, disk space etc when I won't need more and I can still be productive with what I've got on my hand. My phone is also 5 years old(galaxy grand quattro) which was underpowered for it's time and I still fail to use all it's features regularly

Oh look, another apple fag who wants some attention. We get it, your botnet smart-proof 7000$ imacs are better, now you can go hang yourself.

Attached: 1533926792756.gif (367x219, 523K)

>Durable
>Strong battery aftermarket
>Good enough cpu
>Keyboard is actually good
They're perfect for what a laptop is for: Being a portable beater. Sure if you want a fashion statement get iToddler shit or whatever. Enjoy your gritty shallow keyboard, annoying touchbar, soldered battery, cracked frame and broken screen. You'll probably be buying another $1200 facebook machine in a year anyway so longevity doesn't really matter.

once you get older you'll realize that time is worth more than the money you think you're saving. very cringey post but i wont save it

Attached: images.jpg (241x209, 11K)

what's the point of using all those features in phones? they are nothing but gimmicks for the most part.

Don't you dare make fun of a 4:3 laptop like that.

So how much are you earning by shitposting on Jow Forums? Some highly valuable time right there :^)

>time is worth money
Yes and that's why I don't waste money on expensive toy laptops and get one that fits my use case instead. My long time strategy has been to buy a refurb X-series ThinkPad every three years or so although it seems that X230 is going to last a bit longer since Lenovo dropped the ball on designs and Intel on performance upgrades. Next in line would be X260 but it's just marginally better so I might wait a bit longer this time.

Attached: slutpad.jpg (1480x2000, 1.02M)

>they are slow
>implying computers don't get faster every year, even if it's only nominal
>ugly
Subjective. I like the Thinkpad aesthetic and I have a P51.
>and with a dirty network
What?
>What's the point of buying an old computer?
They're cheap, and for the average Archcuck, they work just fine.
>Just buy a macbook
Oh, this is a shill thread. Saged and reported. Fuck off nigger.

> they are shit
They don't have much performance but they were made for elite people, therefore built better. Look up Thinkpad prices in 90s-00s and adjust them for inflation.

Is there new thinkpads with physical mouse buttons? I mean clickable, not this sensor shit.

>running arch
A living meme!
Do you have pony or pepe stickers in your chinkpad?

Old MacBook are way better. Sans jobs MacBook are shit

I hate my Prius for that exact reason. Fuck black box cars, those are real jewish traps.

As expected, OP has no idea about what he is talking about.
A T420 requires literally zero "tailoring" to run adequately with any modern OS. Linux support is plug and play, and it works perfectly with windows 7/10.
I love mine because it's not a overheating pile of garbage, easily upgradeable , allows me to have 3 storage devices and replace ram. The keyboard is also awesome compared to shitty chiclet keyboards (newer thinkpads have decent chiclet keyboards though)

>x220 sucks
It is best laptop ever i have seen.
i7 2gen
16 gb ram
1tb ssd
IPS matrix
wwan card + finger print.
I will use it till 2050 year

>Just buy a macbook
Jesus, I was buying into what you were saying until you said that. No thanks.

Attached: B2D779D4-046B-40F8-A623-08B056C69600.jpg (540x720, 115K)

True, you can buy a shitty laptop for next to nothing.
But you can also buy a pretty decent laptop for cheap, like an L-series Thinkpad for example, which is much more enjoyable to use and will last a lot longer.

Unless you're poor I don't see why you would torture yourself by buying the worst of the worst.

> allows me to have 3 storage devices
SSD, HDD insdead of CD-ROM and? mSATA SSD?

The T460 required zero tailoring to run with any modern OS, does not overheat.
RAM, WiFi and internal battery are replaceable.
The keyboard is great. I prefer it to my IBM T60 ("Golden Age ThinkPad Keyboard™").
2 storage devices, up to 10 TB SSD total.

Old ThinkPad are decent. That doesn't make new ThinkPads bad.

replying on my x200t
i use arch btw ;)

but it just werks

Attached: DTd5zI5VAAAlI_r.jpg (639x624, 50K)

>I am too retarded to install Manjaro

> WiFi are replaceable.
Yeah, tell me about it.
bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-Guide-Whitelist-remove-for-2014-Lenovo-thinkpad

SD Card.

The T410 is old, but so long as it can run win 7 and gentoo, thats all I'll need.

Attached: IMG_20180811_100955.jpg (3264x1836, 2.82M)

> bacon fried to hell
Stop it. Please.

I'm not in on the programming stuff. Is "coding" like the equivalent of calling yourself a "gamer"?

>fried to hell
They don't look black and shriveled up, so they look fine to me.

>"Old computers are better"
Doesn't mean what you think it means. People mean "better" as in "simpler", "easier to maintain", etc.

Of course, in pure benchmarking, nobody sane is going to suggest that newer machines don't absolutely rape them in perf/$ and perf/watt.