I9-7980XE vs 2990WX

Looking to build a new computer, I have a budget of $20000 so I don't care about pricing I just want to know which one is better. I'll be multitasking heavly, loads of applications open, encoding, rendering 3D and playing various games.
Which one of these CPUs is better?
I've heard the 2990WX is memory starved so doesn't perform as well as intel's one, also would like to know which one has higher core performance. I'll also be using loads of the motherboards PCI-E slots so I need the CPU to be able to support as much as it can.

Attached: 1504055614071.png (1260x709, 1.72M)

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=2990wx-linux-windows&num=2
tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-threadripper-2-2990wx-2950x,5725-9.html
techspot.com/review/1678-amd-ryzen-threadripper-2990wx-2950x/page3.html
hardocp.com/article/2018/08/13/amd_ryzen_threadripper_2990wx_2950x_cpu_review/3
overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/amd_threadripper_2950x_and_2990wx_review/11
wccftech.com/review/amd-ryzen-threadripper-2990wx-32-core-cpu-review/5/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

i have 20.000k
i want to do all the things 2990wx wasnt made for

gee intel fans are going full retard

keep in mind that performance is lackluster in some stuff because windows 10 pro is shit at NUMA
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=2990wx-linux-windows&num=2

I'm using windows 7 at the moment for all my applications

>I've heard the 2990WX
It's not, Windows just fails to mange NUMA properly.

someone should test if windows server has the same issues or not

Build 2 computers you retard.

/Thread

>i want to do all the things 2990wx wasnt made for
what do you mean

This.
>I've heard the 2990WX is memory starved
It's not memory starved. Half of cores have huge memory latency, that's what it means.
>Looking to build a new computer, I have a budget of $20000 so I don't care about pricing I just want to know which one is better. I'll be multitasking heavly, loads of applications open, encoding, rendering 3D and playing various games.
If you are considering 2990WX you should really pay attention to Windows scheduler patches. Windows scheduler is fucking shit up right now (2950X may have two times better performance than 2990WX, that's impossible).

pick up a 2950X when at it's launch

Just look at benchmarks for whatever you need. From what I've seen, 2990WX is about 40-50% better at stuff like ray tracing, and it's better at multitasking heavily threaded applications (like 3D rendering+encoding at once). Gaming not so much, it's actually often faster when you disable all but one ccx.
Don't listen to retards like

>2950X may have two times better performance than 2990WX
I plan on encoding 32 videos at once, one video on each core and 2 threads, would half my encoding times compared to the 2950X. Of course I would need shit tons of RAM too for that.

half of the cores DONT have DMA thats what going on

If you can actually find work for all the cores, 2990WX is better no contest. Where the i9 is better is single threaded and sub ~25 thread loads.

then explain why you can see performance improvements when you use a OS that can work with NUMA properly

>would half my encoding times compared to the 2950X.
Not if software is not taking large latency into account. If you try to run too many encoding threads at once you may run out of cache and it will probably be magnitude worse.

I really cannot tell too much right now, all reviews are 24 hours old at most.
tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-threadripper-2-2990wx-2950x,5725-9.html

If op is legit look at getting a real epyc server.

How long before the Mac Pro gets TR2?

then he should wait for the 7nm epycs at least, seeing that the 2990X grossly outperforms it on non-memory bound stuff

infinite time

Can't see how it contradicts what I said.
More benches with 2950X being better than 2990WX:
techspot.com/review/1678-amd-ryzen-threadripper-2990wx-2950x/page3.html
hardocp.com/article/2018/08/13/amd_ryzen_threadripper_2990wx_2950x_cpu_review/3
overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/amd_threadripper_2950x_and_2990wx_review/11
This one does not show that:
wccftech.com/review/amd-ryzen-threadripper-2990wx-32-core-cpu-review/5/

because linux HAS a proper ccx support thats why

Why do lower end cpus have higher clock speeds than the more expensive ones? Would expect the higher end to have faster single core counts as well.

Attached: 1515588468418.png (647x244, 14K)

I keep wondering why doesn't amd expose all 32 lanes on AM4

why doesnt a 16 core have the same boost with a 8c..

The 18 core intel CPU beats all the AMD in encoding in handbrake by a large margin even when its up against a 32 core AMD CPU. Somethings up here.

Attached: 1533040335600.png (670x764, 70K)

I wonder if that's happening because windows 10 is shit at NUMA

Doesn't matter, most people use Windows so if AMD fails in that enviroment regardless of windows capability then its underperforming and you can't do anything about it. So might as well use the intel CPU instead.

It most likely can't utilize nowhere near 64 threads. Try encoding several videos at once and 2990 will win.

Attached: 1513535090303.png (825x842, 64K)

exists for such questions.

OP's gonna do 3D rendering, where he gets ~40% more perf. with AMD. Go shill intel somewhere else.

how the hell did they expect it to match if the 2950X has higher all core turbo?

Watercooling?

Try "legacy mode" then, or an OS that doesn't have shit scheduler.

you don't need fucking watercooling

Didn't disprove anything I said, faggot.

don't listen to this guy, /pcbg/ is garbage

>t. faggot
You also don't need a tower cooler when you can use a turbine instead.

If you weren’t a leaping piece of shit, and actually were going to build a computer for rendering like that, you’d be building an EPYC dual socket workstation,

>IT'S NOT WINDOWS, IT'S MEMORY STARVED
Fuck off retard, you have been posting the same shit in every TR thread.
Sage, report and hide.

>Why do lower end cpus have higher clock speeds than the more expensive ones?
Mostly because of power limit.
>1950X beats 2990WX
>SEE INTEL IS GUD JUDGING BY THAT
lol what

If you want a threadripper get the 2950X not the 2990.

What benefits you the most would be dual Xeon Gold/Platinum (2x16 cores and above) or dual epyc (2x24 cores and above)

Use the Asus dual Socket SAGE motherboard LGA3647 thing for intel

Looks like the i9-7980XE is the best out of all of them better than the 16 core AMD but a margin but siginificantly more expensive

tihs

What Jow Forums recommends for blender rendering and 1080p vidya?

2950x unless you know what you need the 2990wx for.

But judging by this dumb thread I'll assume Op doesn't know.

Right now the 2950x is king. 5% slower than the 7980xe. But 1000$ cheaper.

if someone actually had $20k to throw at a system and make it absolutely bonkers good at general tasks then exotic sub ambient cooled heavily overclocked 2950X would be a quite good candidate processor to base that system on

The only non-faggot itt

>apple
>ditching intel and risk losing thunderbolt
Keep waiting. If they haven't done the change that could benefit the housefires that are the New Macbook Pros I highly doubt that.