What's holding it back?

What's holding it back?

Attached: 1200404599544495495.png (1200x1200, 172K)

Other urls found in this thread:

alternativeto.net/software/microsoft-paint/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imprinting_(psychology)#Baby_duck_syndrome
pixls.us/software/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's shit.

Open Sores

Funding. There's pretty much just one guy working on it full time and being paid, while everyone else is a volunteer. It's still pretty good, though, and photoshop-artisans need not apply.

adobe photoshop is stomping on that piece of shit

Lack of developers.Pretty sure it's only 1 guy .

it's not Adobe

The shit animal logo and the shit name that seem to be a prerequisite for freetard software.

Photoshop costs $120/year, why do people expect GIMP to be at their level?

Even Krita is stomping on it. Gimp isn't even an option these days. There is much better out there.

What do you mean?

The animal isn't really a problem, but imagine trying to pitch to tech illiterate management that the should switch to some software called "GIMP".

What would you suggest? I'm not a heavy user of photo editing and use those tools more for fun than gain. So I would prefer something that is free and relatively easy.

Like I said...Krita.

Needs a circle tool.

Three windows

GNU
There is no GNU software that doesn't have a shit GUI.

it's been shit so long and resisting change that hardly anyone wants to try anymore. Krita is perfectly good alternative albeit it being more of a drawing than editing software.

but isn't krita more for drawing than manipulating photos?

Actually just one window now.

Attached: Untitled.png (1596x850, 161K)

Developer retardation in their community, usual GNU shenanigans, lack of a clear objective
Krita destroys GIMP even at image manipulation, just look how retarded they went on color management, building the worst system in the last decade instead of just picking the Krita implementation
The developers are pretty retarded
Just use Krita for painting/editing, and imagemagick for manipulation

It's more for drawing yes, but it will do anything a basic user needs for photo-editing and more plus it's more intuitive than gimp or photoshop. A lot better for light users or beginners. I don't mean that in a bad way.

I think krita reveals its true potential on some tablet with pencil where you can actually draw because drawing with mouse is retarded.

Biggest feature gimp came up with ever, I'm glad it finally happened.

its name

the fact that they deliberately try to distance themselves from photoshop UI for whatever reason when photoshop is how it should be. They've got the algorithms right and everything (sometimes ever better than PS), but they outright refuse to make a good GUI for some autistic reason...

GUI, maybe?

Isn't there fear that photoshop might sue them if it looks too much like photoshop?

Krita is for drawing, yes. Don't listen to this faggots. They think gimp should be good for drawing AND editing, but it's only good for editing.

Attached: does this look like a fucking gradient.png (1680x1023, 183K)

yeah instead of making their workflow like photoshop for the longest time they tried to be different
the 2.1 version seems a lot better in that respect now

Pirate photoshop then. Photoshop is much, much easier than what people make it out to be.

I doubt thats happening, Krita looks very similar and there's been no problems with that.
And even if it happened, I highly doubt thats gonna stand in any court, as long as they don't copy their source code.

Circles

>use Krita
>be a non-retard
>it works

Attached: dfgdfgdfgdfgdfgdf.png (1757x1479, 400K)

lol

Attached: Adobe Photoshop CC.png (1246x604, 106K)

Krita is okay, but it lacks too many of the features of Photoshop and it's too geared towards painting.

I discovered Affinity Photo today, and it seems to be really solid. It has batch processing and you can record actions like in Photoshop. And a lot of the tools work the same way as Photoshop, for instance I needed to automate cropping and I couldn't do it the way I wanted to in Krita but with Affinity it was just like in Photoshop.

Seriously, fuck Adobes cloud shit. I've used Photoshop since version 7, and I feel like they want to fuck me in the ass. Fuck 'em

Attached: 0_0_900_0_70__News_Affinity photo live filters.jpg (900x506, 58K)

Photoshop is fuck awful for painting.
>6clicks to change a brush
>open a menu and use a slider to change brush size
>ctrl+alt brush stretching feels fuck awful to use

What version of krita?

I hate the way cropping works in Krita. And it's slower than Photoshop on large images (Think high DPI scans, etc)

Why did blender succeed as the FOSS alternative 3D modeller but GIMP didn't succeed as the FOSS image editor?

Attached: fruitmix_healthy.jpg (600x600, 21K)

The latest one.
The canvas rendering might be a touch slower but I feel like the brush engine is a lot faster.

it's PhotoShop, not PaintShop

Money

Attached: IMG_20180814_004548.jpg (1200x1600, 261K)

Because it wasn't originally open sores! That's actually the story of EVERY SINGLE decent freedumbs software. Like Linux/GNU/BSD are just Unix clones.

>it's PhotoShop, not PaintShop
*blocks your path*

Attached: psp_splash.gif (511x391, 98K)

I don't deny that photoshop has some annoying things too (making a color gradient for example) but its saner than GIMP in general.

Blender is developed by an absolute software maniac half as crazy than Terry Davis but about as talented.

>latest.
Nightly then. Yeah, that didn't work either.

because you still have many retards like who are morally okay with stealing photoshop but yet cannot comprehend contributing to a free software project

early versions of blender were straight trash, it got WAY better when it became free software

Not even the same tool.
Looks like you added a duplicate layer, converted it to a paint layer, and used the gradient tool.
That doesn't make the text gradient tool I show in my screenshot not broken.

You're just stupid
Look at my layer stack.
>Group layer
>gradient layer with alpha inheritance
>text layer (from which gradient is inheriting it's alpha)

I dont use GIMP myself, but I know a guy who is painting his own colored comics in his heavily customized GIMP build and refuses to try anything else.

it works for him.

It's a bad tradesman who blames his tools. A good artist could use anything, a bad artist won't accomplish anything even with the best tools.

Enjoy your open sores retard.
People with actual lives will pirate photoshop and not try to fuck the life into a shitty program.
Remember, paid developers >>>>>>>>>>>>> retards who randomly and random fixes once in a while.

because you can not draw a circle in it
that's the proper graphic editor test, if one has a dedicated circle drawing tool it's good to go

> will pirate photoshop
You can't do that in business though.

Is there no alternative to mspaint? I don't need some high-end pseudo-photoshop editor, I just wanna be able to easily resize and rearrange images.

Attached: 1522565957867.jpg (691x997, 263K)

Attached: Untitled.png (658x656, 365K)

paint.net

>A good artist could use anything, a bad artist won't accomplish anything even with the best tools.
Why did you have to say those words

Attached: tiakle3k1e.png (1234x789, 160K)

So because I don't use a workaround for a broken tool, I''m stupid.
Yeah, ok kid.

become gud

Then your job should pay for it if it's needed.

alternativeto.net/software/microsoft-paint/

heh?

Attached: sfsfsf.png (1405x791, 39K)

>right in my feels

It's generally very annoying to use. Why use a clunky art/editing program when you could use a better alternative?

OK now we're really talking about shit graphics software.

>What's holding it back?
People mistake it for something it is not and a lot of the time don't know or simply gloss over the fact that Krita, InkScape, and Blender exist.

No evidence you even using the same software, never mind the same tool.

No evidence you exist, therefore this argument is pointless and ends now.

Cancer look-and feel.
Just copy PhotoShop's layout design to a fucking T, then sit back as companies left, right, and centre bail the fuck away from Adobe to get free shit that they know how to actually fucking use.
Also, pick a different fucking name, "GIMP" is incredibly.

same issue as all open-source projects.
only people who used this software for thousands of hours contribute to it's development, so nobody wants to make it more accessible by improving the convulted ui - they dont have a problem with it, so why change it?

Krita has a broken tool since version 4.0.0. That's the only point I was making.
I wouldn't recommend a broken painting program as a replacement for a perfectly good photo editor.

krita is also meh, but at least it's usable, unlike GIMP

Ooh shit I thought it was gimp that was used.

Well fuck me.

Well, GIMP is open-source and if you are a programmer you can make it look like Photoshop.

>if you are a programmer you can make it look like Photoshop
good luck on working with the source code you're not familiar with

I'm the Koder now.

Attached: coder.png (606x423, 59K)

I'm comfortable with GIMP and never used Photoshop in my life. Give me a good reason why I should spend $100+ per year to switch to Photoshop.

All the arguments so far have been: bad name, no circle tool, and the UI is different. Are those actually the only reasons to use Photoshop? No killer features or anything?

>have X220Tablet
>rotate screen
>gimp's single window mode doesn't rotate window panes to account for rotation
>have barely any space to work with
>switch to multi window
>panes will be in those same places, taking up too much vertical space
>can't rescale some windows to rectify this

The real reason.....
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imprinting_(psychology)#Baby_duck_syndrome

All the good devs are working on Krita or Pinta

The krita devs should to a bit of work on the text tool. It's broken.

>And being paid
By who

They simply rempved the fill funtion lol, so the method with layers I used above is the correct one.

>tfw know it's bad yet still use it

this mode has been around forever you braindead mongoloids

Linux Torvalds

workaround for broken fill text with gradient option.
The correct thing would be to fix it.

Version 3 you could fill the text with a gradient, and stroke it with solid color, or pattern, or any combo, on the same layer.

Interesting how Jow Forums is apparently completely filled with professional graphic designers who need cutting edge software for their jobs everytime this thread gets posted.
Gimp + Krita combo gets every job done for free and on Linux.

pixls.us/software/

Attached: Quebec or America.jpg (536x365, 52K)

I grew up with Paint Shop Pro 7...
18 years later, gimp gui still sucks hard and doesn't really offer more features than this good old proprietary software

Attached: paintShop.jpg (381x500, 45K)

Anything with layers, I do in paint.net. Everything else, I do in mspaint. Come at me.

>paint shop pro 8
>photoshop 7
>windows 7
pretty comfy

gimp has pressure sensitivity too, it's in the brush dynamics options. There's also some tool presets in the windows/dockable dialogs menu, not near as many as krita tho.

incredibly useless and shit UI.
there is a reason why photoshop is miles better - it is developed with the help of actual designers and not NEETs in their mom basements.

> implying that you don't pirate Photoshop

Normally I'm against piracy but Adobe are assholes and the price for their software is a joke.

>people with actual lives will steal things
sorry no

your job should also pay for free software if it's needed

Maybe about 10 - 15 years ago, you used to be able to google "index of/ photoshop filetype:iso inurl:edu" and get page after page of results from university file servers with legit copies of photoshop with activation codes.

Attached: CopyQ.wZ3572.png (621x239, 16K)