Is this the only scripting language with a sane package manager Jow Forums?

Is this the only scripting language with a sane package manager Jow Forums?

(By sane I mean no-fuss and comparable to Cargo)

Attached: Julialogo.png (370x208, 10K)

Javascript + NPM.

>> Javascript.
>> NPM
>> Sane
No.

Julia pkg want copy thing about Cargo.
But maybe for Julia 1.1 or 1.2.

>no-fuss
And what is that exactly supposed to mean?
heh.

>no-fuss
I mean you should be able to include a single TOML file with all package dependencies & versions, and everything should just work. No virtual environments or magical incantations required, and no dependency on left-pad.

But that's like four different things and only two of them depend on the package manager. For example:
>left-pad
is a matter if the organization responsible for the repos is made of retards
>virtual environment
is a bonus feature in theory, but a the-package-managers-are-retards feature in reality
So in half the cases it boils down to someone being retarded, not the package manager being at fault.

How much time do you usually spend getting things working in other scripting languages like Python/Ruby/JS ?

>Javascript
kys

pip is super easy to use, Python is underrated af

Sure, until your dependencies require two different versions of the same package.

Not OP, but: Too much (any amount of time not equally to zero)
You on the other hand probably didn't spend time adding exceptions to the spellbook of R package spellchecker.
this. Or you have some unlucky native dependency.

npm is pretty good, but don't look in that node_modules folder.
pip is garbage and needing to use venv is awful. pipenv is even worse.
All of Haskell's tools are the worst I've ever used.

>npm is pretty good except when it's garbage
Explain the pretty good part.

It just werks, isn't complex, and doesn't break in regular usage
The fact that it downloads multiple copies of everything doesn't actually matter to anyone

>that makes it pretty good

>npm
LOL
from all of the garbage in the js ecosystem, it smells the worst.

The old pre-1.0 Julia package manager was a bit of a PITA due to downloading gigabytes of git history but at least it downloaded packages and handled native dependencies well. For example, installing the GTK bindings was just Pkg.add("Gtk") and everything worked out of the box on all three major platforms.

The new Pkg3 package manager in Julia 0.7 and 1.0 is really nice and almost Cargo tier. The package ecosystem still needs to update to 1.0, but it'll be interesting to see it in action when more than 1000ish packages will have updated.

>emoji
>variables
leave this board and never return, pajeet

But as a true pajeet, I want to use the unicode symbol for curry as a unary operator. How else would I curry functions?

Javascript might be a stupid language, but npm is breddy gud

>language with a sane package manager
Doesn't matter. Fuck the package-manager-for-every-language meme.

Ever tried managing dependencies in C++?

visual studio downloads everything there is you can't get better than this packagewise

Have you ever touched quicklisp for common lisp?

>Python is underrated af
The reality is the opposite. Python is the most overrated piece of shit I'm aware of.
And I can say this without having ever written a single line of code in it. It's shit, because 95% of the issues I have with my computers are caused by python.

I run a node application in production and I'm afraid of it.

CPAN has never once given me an issue.

>Have you ever touched quicklisp for common lisp?
Has anyone?
>And I can say this without having ever written a single line of code in it.
Okay.

>>Have you ever touched quicklisp for common lisp?
I think I tried it five years ago, but it was in a very early state back then so I can't comment on its current state. Did the CL community standardize around it?

I haven't touched common lisp much since 2014-2015ish. Julia filled the niche I used CL for and is more directly optimized for it since it has better support for generic programming. I miss some of the more advanced CLOS features and MOP though.

When everything else can't do those things, yes it does.
This thread is also solely just a bunch of posers saying tool x sucks horribly while admitting to not using it.

npm the good parts

solves the dependency hell once and for all by just recursivley installing everything
size is not a problem, it can just link gobally installed versions of a package.
it does NOT use any obscure syntax, only things already present in javascript

some languages just can't use npms solution (e.g. haskell) because they can't have types with different versions. like one part of program uses some vector package in version 1.3 and some other part uses version 1.5. if one part creates a vector, can it be guaranteed that the vector created by the one package can be read by the other?

and for the syntax part, i hate it when i have to look up some examples just to figure out what i have to add to requirements.txt.

the cli support is nice 'npm install material-ui --save' actually updates the dependecy file.

also adding custom npm scripts to have 'npm start/test/install/bundle' commands the same accross all your projects.

luarocks

enjoy all those node_modules and unecessary dependencies

>
>>Have you ever touched quicklisp for common lisp?
>Has anyone?
I have
>Did the CL community standardize around it?
Breddy much

Still has some rough edges and still has a bus factor of 1, but Xach has been cranking out some pretty awesome stuff desu. 8arrow has begotten Quickdocs, which indexes the default quicklisp distro's repos and their documentation. There's also l1sp, a keyword search engine, also by Xach IIRC.