It takes a skilled developer like Gaben to do something that should have been implemented years ago by GNU/Linux devs

>It takes a skilled developer like Gaben to do something that should have been implemented years ago by GNU/Linux devs
Explain yourselves freegans

Attached: 1534348968773.png (866x757, 287K)

Windows is rubbish, and therefore this is a difficult task.

>I'll design the logo!

>VINE
>Valve Is Not an Emulator

We did it guys!

So you're saying valve is trying to make some sort of emulator for direct X?

Did you see them try to create a new chat platform? This is gonna be good. Will probably never see the light of day.

>"Steam Play will automatically install compatibility tools that allow you to play games from your library that were built for other operating systems."
AKA steam will now automatically install wine, mono or dosbox on games that need it and that valve has verified to work.

You work at Valve?

Oh wtf that's an awesome idea they should call it Wine

Does anyone really 'work' at Valve?

Like WINE 3 already does, idiots?!

Attached: 1533501795647.png (1024x719, 806K)

Someone must've designed their logo you cunt

>We did it guys!
excuse me?

didn't Wendel from teksyndicate get it to work?

Sorry
*goys

Wine requires a bit more configuration to get many windows games working. I'm assuming the valve project would make it as easy as installing steam to get it working which would be convenient for many users, especially casual Linux users.

Attached: 866.jpg (680x1209, 117K)

Does anyone actually use steam os?

Attached: 1534066304076.png (451x619, 392K)

>Implying gaben didn't steal it from some user from Jow Forums while shitposting about knives on Jow Forums

The point of this is that it installs Wine by itself, they aren't doing their own tools.
I have no idea how Valve will make it work with the thousands of games on Steam without manually checking each one of them which Valve obviously won't do, it will probably be community shit that doesn't work 90% of the time.

We’ve had this for years now. It’s called Wine

Although this is still a solid development. Wine can be a pain in the ass to get working sometimes, so having it be set up automagically would be nice.

Attached: E851F5FD-E4E2-45AA-A345-95414395B379.png (410x400, 11K)

>Wine requires a bit more configuration
OH NO!
Just tell freetards to make bash scripts for individual games and/or online tutorials. It's easy, I can do it myself. Fuck Valve for trying to bring fucking normies and their viruses to linux.

WE DON'T WANT NORMIES AND CORPORATE DICK IN LINUX!

why not just pirate Windows like everyone else who doesn't want to pay for it?

You are the reason why Linux is stuck at le 2%

2% of global population is not retardedI'm fine with only experts using Linux.

Just switch to GNU/Hurd

So it's basically a WINE GUI like PlayOnLinux/Lutris?

No, you tell fat Gabe to fuck off.

It's true Linux is exclusive the learning curve weeds out dumbasses

>a system so bad only "experts" who put up with all its flaws can use it is a good thing

t. Retarded neckbeard linux cultist

Fucktards like you dont let Linux develop and overtake Win

Yeah but even more automatic and well-tested. I still can’t seem to get wine steam to function on my system regardless of what i try.

Why would we make it easier to use non-free software made for another OS when there are programs people worked hard to make for GNU/Linux that respect your freedom?

I don't remember if I was running Steam on Linux or through Wine, but there was a command shortcut to disable a certain font feature for Steam. Otherwise it'd get stuck at the first update bar thing.

I can pull it up.

Yes. I get paid more because fucking pajits can't replace me easily.

because people dont want to deal with forced updates and all the spying

We aren't talking about corporate server shit, this is a thread about desktop normie gaymers and you are a retarded sperg.

Look at the fucking Internet. When you allow normie subhumans in the entire project goes to shit.

>ARSE TECHNICA

I always laugh at this name. Valve, what took you so long?

>skilled developer like Gaben
Just because someone is a CEO doesn't mean he is the best at anything the company does. That's not how companies work.
Why are people this retarded?

Because the free software game selection is PATHETIC

Desktop normie gaymers can go eat a dick. With rise in popularity linux will gain viruses and more backdoors.

>It takes a skilled developer like Gaben to do something that should have been implemented years ago by GNU/Linux devs
Oh, really? Gaming should be a priority of any operating system? And how is a community driven project with donations nowhere near those of Microsoft's profits supposed to achieved this along with violating anti-trust laws for one?
>Explain yourselves freegans
Explain yourself now genius.

And without normies and mass adoption of the internet world would've been better right?
Holy fuck are there even more retarded and delusional people than linux cultists?

nothing is being done. its just gaben playing 4d chess with microsoft

Linux is a kernel.

>what is dxvk

Yes, fucking plebs should stick to drinking and making babies. Their opinions are shit and now I have to listen to their retarded bullshit.

Comparatively, yeah, but there are definitely some solid games out there. Xonotic, Minetest, Terasology, StepMania, Nethack. I don't want to list any that I haven't at least played or watched a video about. I went through the whole Free Software Directory "gameplaying" section the other day. A few things in the wrong category (video players and such), and a few dead links, but some real gems were in there. Lots of crap as well. Hopefully the situation can improve by the time I have kids. It would be cool if they could play some games growing up without having to use non-free software.

>when nobody interjects for a moment
NORMIES GET OUT

Attached: 1534291480146.jpg (657x527, 66K)

>Half-Life 3
>Half-Life 2: Episode 3
>Portal 3
>Left 4 Dead 3
>Source 2
>Team Fortress 2 ported to Source 2
>Counter Strike: Global Offensive ported to Source 2
>VR ports of all their Source games
>new features for Source Filmmaker
>Source Filmmaker for Source 2
I mean, Valve almost never finishes the projects they start unless it's a Steam update.

It'll probably be the community that has to do it

If most people were like You humanity still would've been living in stone age

>buying game from Steam
Nope!

I use steam link and big picture.

I've been suggesting this for many years, from the first concept of steam machines coming out, i've been suggesting this to them. Finally they got my message.

>assuming valve will do anything

I switched to linux to get away from vidya.

Achieve*

Gab made millions working in microsoft so he has the idea what's really happening. W10 is poozed dumpster fire and pile of shit legacy code. There's no future for windows os it'll go down in flames and shit...

Not really. Support smart people and keep low IQ plebs under the boot. It's time for humanity to start rewarding intelligence once again before idiocracy hits in.

>something that should have been implemented years ago by GNU/Linux devs
How in the fuck is it the Linux devs' responsibility to do this and not the game devs?

That's literally how it works with steam controller. I guess it will be the same.

And you got paid 0 for it. Good job helping the enemy...

Could it be possible that valve is indirectly involved in that project behind the curtains?
I mean, the project advances impossibly fast.

>source 2
DOTA 2 runs on Source 2, you mong.

Linux will die because of systemd.

>Discord proves to be a better chat platform.
>Steals all ideas and put them in latest Steam update.
>Wine + DVXK proven to get 75% of all games up and running well.
>Suddenly Steam working on a solution to get more games running on Linux.

Attached: 1457308628395.jpg (500x375, 35K)

Can't kill what wasn't ever alive to begin with.

>Linux will die because of systemd.
Linux will die because of retarded community

That’s a lot of work just to get half the frame rate and stuttering audio

>Source 2
It's here since 3 years retard

>Linux is a company
Stop thinking like a capitalist.

I had to pay $0 to gain extra functionality. I've made developers work for me without having to pay them a single cent.

>Suddenly
Valve has been pushing for Linux Gaming for a long while now and did a lot of work to make GPU drivers not complete shit.

Whats worse? Poo code or virgin in mom’s basement code?

Gabe Newman is the savior and death of Windows

i dont even want to pirate windows
i dont want to use it

Why are the "muh freedumbs" autists so opposed to openness and progress?

>Explain yourselves freegans
there was a huge clash between game devs and microsoft for introducing new drms and ways for MS to manipulate what runs and what doesn't on windows 8 and 10,
iirc they tried to have every executable signed by them in order to run... and ofc with the appropriate fee.
Valve then started creating the dx2opengl library, where every rendering dx call from source would be run via that library under linux.
then the macshit with Metal came along and they got locked out of apple too.
Now their only way of providing gamers with games and avoid being MS or apple's bitches is to run everything on loonix.
I'd rather see them start supporting reactos, because linux has wine and it is in a great state.

>Linux with closed source DRM built in
Might as well use Windows

/thread

>skilled developer like Gaben
Gaben has nothing to do with SteamOS, fucko.

Attached: file.png (450x318, 219K)

Linux is an OS for normally-functioning adults, who don't engage in childish activities like video games

>be an autistic ugly sperg
>looks guiis, no HIV!
Your logic

>GPU
>means nvidia
even fucking broadcom has better linux drivers than nvidia
if you want better drivers, buy from companies who give a shit

Attached: 02 say ahh.jpg (1000x559, 52K)

Autistic finnish girl (male) code.

Windows compatibility is not a feature, it's a gaping security hole.

We've already seen how they failed at making their distro. They'll just try to slap their logo at free product other people made once again and fail like they always do.

Valve worked on Radeon drivers you sperg.

Because people with low IQ shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Will this finally kill the winsows marketshare domination?

They've been pushing for it, but did a whole lot of nothing to help get it where it currently is. AMD has done more for the Linux community. After their Steam-box failed it was complete radio silence from them.
SUDDENLY when Linux gaming starts to see more progress, Valve swoops in save the day.

Attached: 1457947803132.png (372x351, 117K)

They are fucking slow. The problem was always that windows games required to run windows steam so you needed to have both to play both native and wine games. There was even a tool that transparently fed windows steam api to wine-compatible games (you still needed windows client to download packages or download them manually) but valve has been breaking compatibility every update and developer has given up.
The only problem is that steam doesn't allow downloading windows packages from linux client. If they lift that limitation off wine would be able to run them.

>Linux is an OS for normally-functioning adults
AHAHAHAHAHAHA

>AMD has done more for the Linux community.
You mean those AMD drivers Valve worked on with their full-time Linux Graphics developers to make them less shit?

your unhinged response only bolsters my claims

There is many more popular open source games like SS13 or clones like OpenSpades. These are actually really good.

Linux has wine but you can't run wine games under Linux steam client. It's nice they will allow that and add some easy configuration.

>pile of shit legacy code
They are just going to cull support for a legacy windows with each new version of windows (2000/XP/NT dropped 3.0/3.1 support, 10 dropped true 95/98 support, the next version will undoubtedly drop 2000/XP/NT support)

Some anons did some IT guys.