How would you define the word "hacking"?

I would define it as "making a piece of hardware or software do something that its creators did not anticipate". What would you say?

Pic related is meant to drive home the point that I'm not talking about the conventional definition of hacking, which is breaching security.

Attached: img_5842.jpg (1268x845, 851K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kstOxNr2deg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>I'm not talking about the conventional definition of hacking, which is breaching security
That's cracking, not hacking.

That's more or less what I said.

Just clarifying. It's more than what you said, by the way.

Yes, hacking is very broad, and can be split down to very detailed and niche interests.
That would be hardware hacking.

But true to form hacking can only be defined as making Doom run on it.

Attached: IMG_20180804_180230.jpg (5312x2988, 962K)

Epic gamer meme

Creative problem solving

>That's cracking, not hacking.
That is one of the cringiest shit that boomer hackerspace-veterans say.
Stop it.

Do you always speak entirely in memes?

Yes.
Now stop saying that cringy line.

Not unless you show how it is incorrect, poof.

installing gentoo is hacking

Breaching security is hacking because it is "making a piece of hardware or software do something that its creators did not anticipate" and it is "creative problem solving".

If you really own the device, making it play doom is the best way to prove it.

It's cracking because it involves cracking security features.

Gamers are fags, though.

>, not hacking.

>you crack a safe you don't hack it
>you don't crack a password you hack it
hmmm

Attached: thinking-wojack.jpg (800x800, 55K)

You need substance to a post. You can't merely quote a different post and act as though you've made a statement. Try to follow board etiquette if you decide to stay here. We don't like it when new users can't follow the rules and conventions of the board.

>cracking a password is the only security breaching activity you can do
Finding a vulnerability on a web service and exploiting it is hacking, and it is breaching security.
But I never said that it wasn't cracking, I only criticized the original "That's cracking, not hacking." statement that clearly says that breaching security is not hacking.

It isn't hacking, it's cracking.

Please explain how finding a vulnerability on a web service and exploiting it isn't hacking. It is making a piece of software do something that it's creators did not anticipate and it is creative problem solving.

I would agree with that. Cracking is hacking, provided you come up with the cracks yourself and don't use the script kiddie method.

>implying my example was anything more specific than a generalisation used to illustrate a point about breaching systems

Attached: t-smurflet.png (812x760, 151K)

>You can help correct the misunderstanding simply by making a distinction between security breaking and hacking—by using the term "cracking" for security breaking. The people who do it are "crackers". Some of them may also be hackers, just as some of them may be chess players or golfers; most of them are not.

-rms

cracking is about breaching systems while hacking is about learning through reverse engineering
youtube.com/watch?v=kstOxNr2deg

Partially correct.
He is right in saying that crackers may also be hackers, but security breaking is, most of the times, hacking.
Is using a premade tool for SQL injection hacking? No, it's not, just like installing Windows on your computer isn't hacking.
Is finding a vulnerability on an existing software and using the vulnerability to modify it hacking? Yes, it is, just like modifying software on your computer to customize your experience is also hacking.
The activity of cracking is, most of the times, hacking, if it isn't done by just skiddying.

Where do you get your numbers from? I'd say most cracking involves no hacking.

Oldfag here...
Hacking was *always* considered doing something cool, unexpected or otherwise surprising with existing resources. Cracking - although it may entail aspects of hacking - was reserved for breaking into shit. Fucking millenials/boomers...

playful cleverness

but explain why you're going to use that
, pls

>t. cant make it play Doom

But I've been through puberty and don't have low testosterone. Why would I want to play with toys?

>conventional definition of hacking, which is breaching security.
that will be the media/normie definition

Fuck off millennial kid. The Jargon File is forever.

Arduinos are open source hardware...
They intend for you to make whatever you want with them just like in OP's pic.

I imagine it refers to the use of vga cables

Hacking as in "i hacked your moms pussy."

Playful cleverness

Attached: FlICmGnj_400x400.jpg (400x400, 19K)

Hence why I used the word "anticipate", not "intend".

They anticipate you to make your own shit with it though.