Finally found a way to disable the compression when I set a wallpaper on windows

>Finally found a way to disable the compression when I set a wallpaper on windows

Attached: 1534423453676.jpg (317x494, 50K)

Other urls found in this thread:

windowscentral.com/how-disable-image-compression-desktop-wallpapers-windows-10
howtogeek.com/277808/windows-10-compresses-your-wallpaper-but-you-can-make-them-high-quality-again/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

what would that be?

Installing Linux

I just created a new entry in the registry and made the quality to 100. Apparently it compressed all .jpg files to 85 percent

Why is this even a thing in the first place?
Can't figure out a single reason how it would make sense.

sauce on the manga

please give more details, I'm really interested

whats the registry entry?

windowscentral.com/how-disable-image-compression-desktop-wallpapers-windows-10

Is this why explorer fucking hangs when it switches wallpapers? Instead of just using the raw image it processes it EVERY switch?
WHY

Wallpapers are synced between machines if you're logged in with the same account, so i guess it's a very shitty way for them to save bandwidth.

In W7 you just set your own 100 quality jpg. In W10 you want to use png instead

howtogeek.com/277808/windows-10-compresses-your-wallpaper-but-you-can-make-them-high-quality-again/

Link fixed so you don't have to disable adblock*

Because that way it uses ~4MB less VRAM.

strange, I didn't need to disable adblock on it

I'll do you one better
disable wallpaper compression.reg
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"JPEGImportQuality"=dword:00000064

meme50

Holy shit it switches instantly now. I'm so mad.

what do you mean? you can't disable it anymore?

I have my wallpaper set to multiple images that change every x minutes, by default, when the switch happens, the entire system becomes unresponsive for a half second or so while it happens. With compression disabled it doesn't do that and I'm mad that this isn't the default behaviour because that has annoyed me every half hour since it was first introduced in 7 or 8 or whichever had it first, all the way up to the current release.
That shouldn't happen under any circumstances. Even if they want to do compression they should do it ahead of time, then switch, not block/lock explorer while it's compressing and writing to disk, then switch, then unlock. Even if it's half a second it's noticeable when you're interacting with shit at that moment.

Guess it's time for me to change adblock app

Omegacheers

that's nice to know user

I know your frustration, but that's not a permanent solution. Watch the wall very closely, it'll compress it again after a while. Just use .png files, they don't get compressed at all.

ublock origin is good for desktops imo
I use a host file too but you don't need both.

Gentoo

If you are the OP, thank you for posting the thread. If not, thanks for being nice anyway.

Attached: 1380788453018.gif (400x338, 352K)

>GNU thread
>everyone yelling at each other

>Windows thread
>everyone is being nice and helpful

Attached: Thinking_Face_Emoji_grande[1].png (600x600, 143K)

>ublock origin
Sooo much better, now first link doesnt want me to take it off, may you drink the finest mead in Valhalla some day

nice meme50

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as GNU, is in fact, Linux/GNU, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Linux plus GNU. GNU is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning Linux system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the Linux system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of Linux which is widely used today is often called GNU, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by Linus Torvalds. There really is a GNU, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. GNU is nothing but userland: the programs in the system that allocate the other programs that you run to the machine's resources. The userland is an essential part of an operating system, but useless without a kernel; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. GNU is normally used in combination with the Linux operating system: the whole system is basically Linux with GNU added, or Linux/GNU. All the aptly-named Linux distributions are really distributions of Linux/GNU, unless you're a sensible person that doesn't need to garble out a mouthful of word salad just to feel validated for your contribution to free software.

What macro do people use to make those really bad quality images. I need to know.

Attached: SPELL 🅱USY🅱OX NI🅱🅱A.png (607x540, 41K)

Attached: 28056038_328942004280433_1329972155481181620_n[1].jpg (750x837, 65K)

Cheers OP, you're a lad

Attached: dear-diary-todays-op-was-a-pretty-cool-guy.jpg (587x625, 183K)

Nicest thread I've seen on Jow Forums recently.
Today OP was not a faggot.

Dont start

I'm sorry. :^)

Attached: 1496530107913.png (1292x608, 69K)

Attached: 1475861447107.png (418x448, 121K)

>finaly send my first mail on my own server.

Attached: imgur-2017_10_07-18:13:50.png (2164x1128, 309K)

> windows
go fuck yourself in your dearest hole

I don't know how to feel about that image.

rude
This is nice board.

Wallpaper compression has been a thing since Windows 7 though.

o. Didn't notice with windows 7. Started noticing it with windows 10.

This is the equivalent to finding a way to run adblock on the "Rocket Coupon Finding Crom Browser" you got when you tried to download a song and ran an exe instead. In other words, that's great but try not using malware OS's in the first place next time.

compress me some overcooked 2 you dingus

What a low quality post.

just use .png files

absolute state

who is this semen demon

Dead. Came here for this reply

If I set a PNG image as my wallpaper does it fuck with that too?

no

nope. pngs dont get compressed at all on windows. only jpgs

who is this semen demon?

artist is meme50

LMAO the absolute state of Winbloat 10

My first computer Windows 95 with 4MB RAM would run raw bitmap wallpapers without a hitch

nice.meme

Or just use .png

Performance issues. Disabling the background gives a slight fps increase in games. I'd imagine having a 4k or uncompressed picture would be more.

Source??

Everyone bonding over how bad their OS is*

I can't remember exactly where. Only in super touchy games like Source Engine games that run at 300+ fps. Background has a 1-3 fps difference and every icon on the desktop is 0.25 fps or something. I've tested this and noticed my average fps in a benchmark was like 3-4 fps higher but that could just be margin on error.

Technically speaking, adding 1 drop of water into a pool... There's more water right? But not noticeable.

Idk I'm autistic and want ever possible frame I can get for 165hz g-sync