Brought 64-bit windows and desktop compositing to the masses with DWM

>Brought 64-bit windows and desktop compositing to the masses with DWM
>Was way more secure than XP which had shit for security but was still a great os
>Looked way better than XP and easier to use
>Still lambasted by press because faggots installing it on outdated machines in a time where technology moved quickly from 2001 to 2006
Post tech that did nothing wrong.

Attached: f60f25017945a6310a7756192ec37140.jpg (650x689, 52K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/greg_schechter/2007/09/27/making-use-of-multiprocessing-in-wpf/
blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-7-service-pack-1-service-configurations/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Based vistaposter.

To be fair, it wasn't until SP2 that it became truly usable. Even if you didn't do something stupid like installing it on a Netburst Celeron with 512mb of ram, RTM had shit like the overly obnoxious UAC, and most manufacturers still hadn't come up with stable drivers.

Vista SP2 was the perfect OS for the six or so months until Win7 RTM came out.

Based and redpilled.
Pre-SP2 was a fair bit slower than XP, but it was worlds far ahead of XP in literally every other aspect.

This. Vista released too early. It was ahead of its time, that was its fault.
I miss the UI. It looked modern and elegant. Not like todays shit. Why doesn't Microshit include themes?

Attached: Vista-Desktop.jpg (1279x1023, 220K)

>Cod4 on the desktop
>Xfire back when they still were a chat service
I wanna go back.

>I miss the UI.
I installed Vista RTM on my old Athlon64 with 1GB of RAM because of search in the start menu and the UI. One of the best looking OSes ever made as far as I'm concerned, of not the best one.

>Why doesn't Microshit include themes?
The reason is because that subsystem is a fucking mess. Try creating a theme; you'll quickly see what a godforsaken shitty job it is.

Oh yes. I really miss Xfire, it was anything that Steam is but better. And still living CoD4 modding community.
>1 GB RAM
Why don't you upgrade it at least? Back then I had 2 GB, I used ReadyBoost and it really boosted the performance. But nothing compared to when I got 4 GB in 2012.

>tfw technology advanced twice as much between 2001 and 2006 as between 2006 and 2018

Attached: 1534435977923.jpg (484x497, 35K)

>Why don't you upgrade it at least?
I had a cheap-ass motherboard back then, socket 754 with only two DDR slots, both populated with 512MB DDR400 modules. It would be a pain to upgrade.
I later upgraded the whole platform to C2D, 3GB of RAM, and 8800GT.
Man, I miss playing Crysis in glorious DX10 on that thing.

I see you're men of fine tastes anons.
A little known fact about Vista is that it uses less memory than Windows 7, 8 and 10.
This is on Vista Ultimate with all the fluff enabled, save for the sidebar.

Attached: vista1.png (1280x800, 1.53M)

The DWM is still better than anything Linux has to offer today. Wayland kinda fixes it but it also introduces new problems.

comfy
when i was younger i hated vista
ive come to appreciate it after realising that everyone i knew had just been trying to make it run on their old pcs that struggled with xp

The only issue with Vista I had was a very minor one where if I scroll down a folder with a lot of pictures with the thumbnail size set to large, explorer.exe uses up more memory. Sometimes when you close the Explorer window, the memory usage doesn't go down.

Vista was amazing. I never understood the bad reviews. I think many people were trying to run it on some beige garbage they had since the 90’s. Windows 7 is just Vista with a different taskbar but that got great reviews because computers improved a lot by then.

Lol, your joking, right? This is 7 x64 Ultimate SP1.

Attached: 7x64sp1ultimate.png (412x459, 42K)

>>Brought 64-bit windows and desktop compositing to the masses with DWM
vista really didn't bring 64-bit to the masses because the masses buy prebuilts. they stuck with 32-bit windows in turn largely because the shitboxes they built had shit drivers that wouldn't have passed WHQL testing and 32-bit windows did not enforce driver signing

>>Was way more secure than XP which had shit for security but was still a great os
at release better security, hands down. security advantage of vista at release with mature XP, not so much

>looked better than XP
agreed

>Still lambasted by press because faggots installing it on outdated machines in a time where technology moved quickly from 2001 to 2006
very few people upgrade windows, they got shitboxes with 32-bit windows and horrible drivers and inadequate hardware specs to run vista because microsoft bowed to OEM pressure and made the "vista capable" specs anemic and unable to run vista with horrible performance.

agreed - vista only truly hit its stride by SP2, and by then 7 was on the horizon.

It did nothing wrong.

Attached: BD495i_1.png (700x600, 87K)

Literally how? I only managed to get as low as 0.98 GB on 7 Pro SP1 on my T420 with SuperFetch disabled (since I have an SSD).

It's also the x64 version just like your copy of 7.

>desktop compositing to the masses with DWM

Except the DWM(avalon) on vista was an unoptimized pile of stuff, in fact fixing the avalon with a better, multi-core was one of the biggest changes.

blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/greg_schechter/2007/09/27/making-use-of-multiprocessing-in-wpf/

See screenshot. And follow the "Safe" column:
blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-7-service-pack-1-service-configurations/
Note there's a "Next" on the lower right.

Attached: Untitled.png (753x623, 47K)

Oh I thought you still use it. 1 GB DDR sticks are valuable again. But you nowadays get 1 GB DDR2 and 2 GB DDR3 sticks gifted, because they are worthless. I remember the times when a GB stick DDR2 cost 50 €.

I couldn't play Crysis because I had a Radeon 2400 Pro. CoD4 worked in 1024 x 768 at 30 FPS. I managed to archieve great camping skills. Every time someone shot my FPS fell below 20.
>Me and my friends calling smoke grenades "graphics grenades" meant to decrease your opponents FPS so he can't react
Glorious times.
The sidebar ate a lot of memory.

>graphics grenades
>tfw this was a thing on black ops PS3 because it was ported so poorly

Don't be sad. Plateu in advancement means your don't need to upgrade every 6 months. You get to keep your comfy old setup for many years now.

When I was little I was looking forward for all kinds of latest shit and wished it came sooner. Now I'm a 30 yo boomer and just want a peaceful life.

>Console
I could barely play BO1 singleplayer, multiplayer wasn't playable anymore. I still miss the Zombie coop.

It also revamped the system's audio and video architecture, letting the OS handle GPU hangs and driver crashes in a somewhat controlled manner, and configure sound output through a unified interface (instead of whatever ugly ass buggy horror from Taiwan the sound card shipped with). This was a huge improvement.
Even if a certain GPU maker really struggled to make stable drivers at first.