HDMI VS Display Port

HDMI VS Display Port

Which is better? Why is it that charts say HDMI cannot support 4k gaming at 120hz but DP can?

I know that hdmi can send audio signals so its good for televisions and straight laptop to tv connections but im trying to set up multiple 4k monitor displays on my pc and want to know which connection to commit to

Attached: Display-connectors-comparison6502.png (650x318, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort
amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Adapter-USB-C-Supporting/dp/B00X4S5C7G
amazon.com/cable-Yeworth-Charger-Splitter-Adapter/dp/B01H5NMIRM/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1534448316&sr=1-3&keywords=hdmi to usb&dpID=41dchkN5q7L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
amazon.com/Adapter-Output-Multiple-Monitors-Windows/dp/B00D4OUT7I/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1534448316&sr=1-7&keywords=hdmi to usb&dpID=41aRslSxkQL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
amazon.com/Wpeng-Convertor-Cable-1-5FT-Charger/dp/B01MCWLSYK/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1534448316&sr=1-9&keywords=hdmi to usb
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because HDMI is dog crap which forcefully got pushed into the industry.

Use DisplayPort.

HDMI can support 60fps 4k with HDMI 2.0

also supports Ethernet and audio, but display port seems to be able to send more information quickly from monitor to pc but thats just because most people are still using HDMI 1.3 instead of 2.0

i dont think neither is a big difference, get whatever is cheapest - unless your actually trying to get 144hz on 4k monitors using some Titan SLI setup....

Display Port over thunderbolt 3 is the best connection method.

HDMI + Audio = 4k Limited at 60fps with HDMI 2.0

Display Port = 4k Limited at 144fps with a new protocol coming out, but its an uncommon adapter, not used for laptops or televisions and will likely never get a majority marketshare

Nobody is getting 60+ fps on 4k unless you have $4000 in gpus, HDMI is very popular and will have long lasting support

Is Display Port not supposed to support audio? Because It's the only thing plugged into my monitor and I get audio

HDMI is legacy port for TVs, DisplayPort is modern port for displays

>I know that hdmi can send audio signals
So does displayport, I'm using audio over DP right now

how is DP any better than HDMI?

it had a temporary lead until HDMI 2.0 came out with 60hz support for 4k monitors

it has no benefits over hdmi at all, less support, less known and no bonus features? Give me one reason to consider DP over HDMI

>it has no benefits
Open Standard
Higher Bandwidth
More Mature Adaptive Sync
Supported Over Thunderbolt/USB 3.1

hmm thanks for the information, the extra bandwidth is nice

open standard also means less royalties means cheaper cables

>but its an uncommon adapter
nigga wut
GPUs already have 2-3 DP but only 1 hdmi (for legacy reasons)
Displayport integrates with USB-C and thunderbolt
Modern laptops abandon HDMI in favor of USB-C or thunderbolt 3 (same connector)
Phones and tablets never had HDMI but now feature USB-C too
HDMI is literally dead and the only case it's still viable is connecting oculus rift to nvidia cards (because novideo failed to implement specification which oculus uses) but I am not even sure if it's still the case.
Do you live in a cave?
It supports audio
Yeah maybe until DP 1.4 came out with UHD at 120 Hz.
>no benefits
GPUs have more DP ports, it's more widespread, you can easily connect multiple displays to a single port, phones support it, laptops support it, etc, etc. Also >less support
the opposite
>less known
orly?
>no bonus features
type C connector literally made HDMI legacy

>get DP cable
>20th pin apparently is causing my mobo to go into surge protect mode
>this is the superior connection type

>has shit hardware that shits the bed with a well-known standard
>dude it’s the connectors fault

>dude it’s the connectors fault
It was the connectors fault. Every other display type works fine. I'm not paying $20 for a VESA spec DP cable because muh open standard allowed chinks to make shitty DP cables with live 20th pins.

One time I had an HDMI cable that would only output in 4:3 random resolutions, so by your logic HDMI is shit too.

HDMI is botnet apeshit

>this CD made out of paper exploded in my drive
>god fuck compact discs, shit technology

HDMI shills please leave

HDMI is less susceptible to these issues due to being a closed standard. Any chink can make a cable and slap the DP logo in it.

Chinks do that with HDMI too. Being proprietary doesn't help it.

>buys a shady cable from a sweat shop on purpose
>WHY oh WHY did this happen to me?!?! FUCK DisplayPort!!

>Windows is less susceptible to security issues due to being a closed OS. Any chink can read Linux source and slap together a virus for it.
this is how retarded you sound

Please make DP finally fucking kill VGA.
The VGA meme has gone on for long enough. We finally need a modern connector with proper screen detection.

>tfw poorfag using vga to DP adapter

really enjoying these 720p youtube videos my dudes :')

cant wait to get a new monitor

Am I the only one bothered that it's called "display port"? I'm fine with it but God for I'd I have to explain that display port is a display port like HDMI is

VGA was killed long ago. Shilling HDMI now is like shilling VGA 4 years ago.

>VGA was killed long ago.
I wish, user.
It's still fucking everywhere. Less on desktops, but still for shit like projectors.

Attached: 1439499052275.png (792x540, 421K)

Nope, I’m the same way. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve said “well we can use DisplayPort” and the person is like “yeah I’ve already got it plugged in” and just gives me a weird look if it’s in-person. Then I have to explain that’s what it’s called and it’s a different port.

was looking into this just yesterday
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI
new hdmi cables, marketed as hdmi 2.1 (or if you're looking for them better search as hdmi 48gbps cables) and as I understood not forward compatible at all.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort
the newest ones, if certified are better known as hbr3 (best search term) with max bandwidth at 32gbps~ (at 3ft). But mostly forward compatible overall.

if you're looking for hdmi cables, try to get the newest, not so much with displayport. Also I noticed, for greater lenghts(10ft+ / 3meters+) hdmi are far more abundant and cheaper overall (quite easy to find at the hdmi 2.0a/b certification, 2.1 (48gbps) kinda rare still. price point and availability, comparing displayport hbr3 and hdmi 48gbps is about the same, ranging from 14usd up to 35usd and not many choices, hdmi seemed a bit more easier to find on ebay (only choice for dp hbr3 is one clucb3d 3ft cable).

I'm a big fan of either DVI (and in part, VGA) or display port, mainly due to the ability for the cables to be positively locked in place and not be tugged out

I would use it more of the latches were more clicky and mechanical instead if just some pressure grip shit. That's my only real complaint for that port and it's the only thing that doesn't matter

hdmi usually have latches

I think it has a lot to do with projectors having cable runs of VGA installed in the walls that are expensive and time consuming to replace if you have an entire building’s worth. When the school district I used to work at upgraded to HDMI everything, it was a nightmare and it took fucking forever.

>HD-SDI has the sample-rate in the resolution/frame-rate column for no good reason
>HDMI suddenly goes from "resolution @ fps" to "(30 fps for Ultra HD)
>DisplayPort switches from fps to Hz for no reason
Did a 12-year old make this table?

which one is good for 4k 144hz?

That's why you get a miracast projector.

>wireless gimmick shit
>ever working
I shudder at the thought of having something like this set up in, say, a public school.

No they don’t, it’s just a tight connection. Never seen an hdmi with latches.

In a school or business? Hardly, that’s a nightmare to set up too

I've never seen one without it though

What do refer to as latches? There isn’t even room for it on the cable

>forward compatible.
meant as in, the interface handles most of the stuff and the cable are dumb wires. Except on max bandwidth, obviously. DP is more straightforward, since the protocol (i.e. if your gpu has a dp 1.4 connector) handles most of the stuff -- meaning that apart from the max rated bandwidth you needn't concern witht he other features, they should work. As for hdmi, specially with the latest revision, the newer cable is quite diffrerent than the older versions. Again, expanding the max bandwidth, but also being necessary for many other interface centric features that older cables can't deliver.

Ok I'm retarded, they actually don't have latches. I even checked my cables lol.

usb-c doesn't support hdmi, only display port.

hdmi is legacy like vga at this point.

I said we did it at a school district. We considered it before upgrading, but have you ever pictured a school full of screencasting devices? Imagine a teacher clicking the Cast button and seeing a list of like 500 devices to sift through to find the right one, not even to mention the network load that would introduce on the access point serving the area.

>network load
There isn't any the projector connects to the device through WiFi direct so it wouldn't affect the overall network bandwidth.

Neat, didn’t know that. So it’s not like Chromecast’s method of casting?

No the only use for a common wifi point is discovery and even that can be disabled by having the miracast projector set to low power and networkless discovery so you don't see it outside of the walls of a room especially one made of brick like a school.

Yeah, I got it wrong, meant to say displayport.
I think I saw one hdmi with latches recently, but too lazy to confirm it.

There are 3rd party solutions to make it secured, as well as most TVs and a lot of business-class equipment sporting a screw-hole to fasten a port-saver hdmi dongle like pic related or a cable that just has the screw on it.

Attached: image.jpg (1200x900, 127K)

Then why does my USB-c adapter have an HDMI output on it?

Last time I checked, only DP supported Freesync, I don't know if G-sync is like that too

AFAIK HDMI 2.0 works with FS.

>The HDMI Alternate Mode for USB-C allows HDMI-enabled sources with a USB-C connector to directly connect to standard HDMI display devices, without requiring an adapter.[176] The standard was released in September 2016, and supports all HDMI 1.4b features such as video resolutions up to Ultra HD 30 Hz, and Consumer Electronic Control (CEC).[177] Previously, the similar DisplayPort Alternate Mode could be used to connect to HDMI displays from USB Type-C sources, but where in that case, active adapters were required to convert from DisplayPort to HDMI, HDMI Alternate Mode connects to the display natively.[178]

>The Alternate Mode reconfigures the four SuperSpeed differential pairs present in USB-C to carry the three HDMI TMDS channels and the clock signal. The two Sideband Use pins (SBU1 and SBU2) are used to carry the HDMI Ethernet and Audio Return Channel and the Hot Plug Detect functionality (HEAC+/Utility pin and HEAC−/HPD pin). As there are not enough reconfigurable pins remaining in USB-C to accommodate the DDC clock (SCL), DDC data (SDA), and CEC – these three signals are bridged between the HDMI source and sink via the USB Power Delivery 2.0 (USB-PD) protocol, and are carried over the USB-C Configuration Channel (CC) wire.[176] This is possible because the cable is electronically marked (i.e., it contains a USB-PD node) that serves to tunnel the DDC and CEC from the source over the Configuration Channel to the node in the cable, these USB-PD messages are received and relayed to the HDMI sink as regenerated DDC (SCL and SDA signals), or CEC signals.[176]

Damn, I've never seen you being right. About anything. On any topic. Even you're waifu must undeniably the worst girl. Don't even need to ask who's she to be certain that she's the wrong choice.

I don't know what AMD utilized to make freesync work on HDMI, but in FAQ they say it works even without adaptive sync. Though it should work better on DP or HDMI 2.0+. Actually, if I'm not mistaken, even older DP didn't have adaptive sync, first freesync implementation used eDP.

>DisplayPort supported some advanced features which are useful for multimedia content creators and gamers (e.g. 5K, Adaptive-Sync), which was the reason most GPUs had DisplayPort. These features were added to the official HDMI specification slightly later, but with the introduction of HDMI 2.1 these gaps are already leveled off (with e.g. VRR / Variable Refresh Rate).

But have you seen at least one such combined port?

There aren't any.
The closest thing you will find is an older SoC that supports hdmi through the mini/micro usb port.

So does that mean in the nvidia control panel, until now if you manually specified a program to use Adaptive Sync, it basically didn’t do anything unless you were on DP or DVI-D? Or was it just called the same name but not the same function.

>DisplayPort uses a self-clocking, micro-packet-based protocol that allows for a variable number of differential LVDS lanes as well as flexible allocation of bandwidth between audio and video, and allows encapsulating multi-channel compressed audio formats in the audio stream.[182][183] DisplayPort 1.2 supports multiple audio/video streams, variable refresh rate (FreeSync), Display Stream Compression (DSC), and Dual-mode LVDS/TDMS transmitters compatible with HDMI 1.2 or 1.4.[182][184][185] Revision 1.3 increases overall transmission bandwidth to 32.4 Gbit/s with the new HBR3 mode featuring 8.1 Gbit/s per lane; it requires Dual-mode with mandatory HDMI 2.0 compatibility and HDCP 2.2.[186][187] Revision 1.4 adds support BT.2020 color space and HDR10 extensions from CTA-861.3, including static and dynamic metadata.[188]

The DisplayPort connector is compatible with HDMI and can transmit single-link DVI and HDMI 1.2/1.4/2.0 signals using attached passive adapters or adapter cables.

they've always been meant to work toghter with the least amount of hassle. That's why it's so easy to find adapters that aren't anything more than basicaly a cable with two different connectors dp to hdmi on each end, and also why their birectional (i.e. if your cable is dp to hdmi it's also hdmi to dp).

VESA's adaptive sync refers to variable refresh rate.
NVIDIA's adaptive sync refers to enabling vsync when framerate > refreshrate and disabling it otherwise.

That wasn't what he asked dipshit.

amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Adapter-USB-C-Supporting/dp/B00X4S5C7G
amazon.com/cable-Yeworth-Charger-Splitter-Adapter/dp/B01H5NMIRM/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1534448316&sr=1-3&keywords=hdmi to usb&dpID=41dchkN5q7L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
amazon.com/Adapter-Output-Multiple-Monitors-Windows/dp/B00D4OUT7I/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1534448316&sr=1-7&keywords=hdmi to usb&dpID=41aRslSxkQL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
amazon.com/Wpeng-Convertor-Cable-1-5FT-Charger/dp/B01MCWLSYK/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1534448316&sr=1-9&keywords=hdmi to usb

not sure if that was what you're asking, but I'm assuming if you were wondering if simple passive adapters were enough.

I don't get what do you imply?
DP 1.2+ supporting variable refresh rate and providing compatibility mode for HDMI doesn't make HDMI supporting variable refresh rate. Only HDMI 2.0 supports it.
But your post reminded me that for freesync to work with pre-1.2 DP display had to feature compatible scaler, maybe it's same for old HDMI.

No it was exactly what he asked, delid urself

It doesn't look like passive adapter to me anyway
But I asked for devices (like laptops or phones) that have ports compatible with passive adapters

Work on your English.

Attached: pajeettaxi.jpg (480x480, 31K)

That if works in dp it can be made to just werks on hdmi or at least that it shouldn't take too much effort to implement it later. As in, hdmi 2.1 is fully compatible with adaptive sync, and it can werks above 1.4 mostly and maybe 1.2

If DVI-I is compatible with VGA it doesn't mean VGA can transport digital signal

but we're talking dp and hdmi; so...

Sure GPUs have DP and they're common in especially newer displays, but until we start seeing DP become common0lace in TVs, consoles, and other shit that usually gets plugged into a TV hdmi is always going to have the hold on that entire corner of the normie market

DP
>royalty free
>non-HDCP
>natively designed standard to push multiple monitors

It's not like you can't stick hdmi in DP port. Your HDMI is but a mode in glorius DisplayPort technology.

Not entirely sure; but, yeah, most likely.

Unless your display was connected via d-sub (adaptor dvi/hdmi/dp to d-sub) or one old as fuck hdmi cable, then, what you were seeing was definitenely nothing more than placebo.

>type C connector literally made HDMI legacy
This is literally the only thing that will put DP ahead of HDMI.

DisplayPort cables are so fucking thick and cumbersome, they're absolutely awful. The connector is huge too.

Until I can connect two DisplayPort devices with a cable the size and stiffness of a standard USB mouse cable, HDMI wins. I fucking hate huge, thick, faggot cables. I want thin cables I can route easily around my desk, not a fucking pipe thicker than the power cable to my PC.

Make DP over USB-C commonplace and you will win not only my heart, but the heart of consumers everywhere. Until then, DP is shit.

Attached: 1502242952782.jpg (715x651, 73K)

>nu/g/ doesn't like d-sub, dvi, com ports which you screw in like an soldier sealing off his bunker door.
>They think flimsy and tiny and cute usb type c preferably with magnets are preferable.

>DisplayPort cables are so fucking thick and cumbersome
Dunno, about same as HDMI
>The connector is huge too
>what is mini DP

I'll miss those screws.

Attached: 359823023034372.jpg (480x480, 22K)

which make the case of displayport and hdmi being considered bulky even more alien to me.

Nibba my 2013 rMBP has two DisplayPorts and one HDMI. The newer ones have four (4) DP and zero (0) HDMI.

Is HDMI good for 1440p at 75hz? I guess because it supports 4k @ 60 it shouldn't have any issues with 2k at 75.
I'm browsing some monitors at the moment and it worries me that some really good panels only have hdmi ports. Hdmi is fine for media consumption, but wil it be good enuff for vidya?
I'd much rather use DisplayPort if it's more hassle-free.

Attached: 1533987074020.jpg (220x250, 7K)

No that was what I wanted, I knew NVIDIAs did the “dont turn on vsync until frameratesbare high enough” thing but I didn’t know if it was also supposed to do what VESAs does.

It doesn't. If it supported VESA's variable refresh rate gsync wouldn't sell.

>being such a fucking caveman that accidentally pulling plugs is a legitimate problem
shiggy diggy, you retarded boomer

>Dunno, about same as HDMI
No, not "about the same as HDMI". Do these two cables look the same to you? This is a standard DP cable and a slim (though only a minuscule amount smaller) HDMI cable. DP cables thinner than this do not exist. DP cables with smaller connectors than this do not exist.

They aren't even close to "about the same".

We aren't comparing HDMI to DVI, DVI is just an outdated standard like VGA that's only still around because a handful of idiot boomers need them for their ancient equipment.

>Hdmi is fine for media consumption, but wil it be good enuff for vidya?
Literally nothing is different between these.

Attached: the fat cable laughed, 'You are wrong'.jpg (1452x839, 232K)