Valve is seemingly working on a way of making Windows Steam games playable on Linux

THIS KILLS THE WINJEW.

vg247.com/2018/08/15/windows-steam-games-linux-compatibility-steam-play/

>It looks like Valve is working behind the scenes on enabling Linux game compatibility tools to work on Steam.

>These compatibility tools allow games developed for Windows to work on Linux, similar to how the popular tool Wine has been doing for years on Linux and other Unix-based operating systems.

>Earlier this week, strings of code were discovered by SteamDB in Steam’s database.

>The code appears to be referencing an as yet to be revealed compatibility mode, complete with several UI elements, a settings menu, and what looks like the ability to force it on.

>The service is called Steam Play (via GamingOnLinux), with a description that reads, “Steam Play will automatically install compatibility tools that allow you to play games from your library that were built for other operating systems.”

>Curiously, the description of another tool explains that users will be able to select a compatibility tool for use with games that have not been specifically tested on their specific platform, which often refers to Windows games that don’t specifically include Linux support.

>It’s worth noting that these packages don’t specifically reference any of the other known compatibility tools like Wine, or DOSBox. Valve may very well be working on a proprietary solution of its own, which would make sense given the name.

>Work is certainly being done in the background, as you can see from the number of updates for the Valve Compatibility Manifests for Beta Testing, but the most recent update was nearly two months ago, so you might want to not hold your breath for an official announcement.

>As the site notes, Steam’s Linux client doesn’t currently allow users to launch Linux compatibility tool Wine from within the client itself, so the upcoming tool could be one way of offering that natively,

Attached: 1476136373480.png (418x455, 81K)

Other urls found in this thread:

northeastern.edu/rugglesmedia/2017/03/16/group-project-2/
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'm not going to get my hopes up. But this does sound promising.

I don't praise Valve, but I really appreciate that they at least try bringing games to Linux, unlike almost all other big companies.

AMD is the only other company that tries to cooperate.

I'd like to see this happen but given their track record of linux support I'm not very convinced.
>steam os dead in the water
>linux performance hit
>little-to-nonexistent driver support for Nvidea GPUs

It's nothing.

Attached: doubt.jpg (2048x2048, 483K)

If this is ever in a competitive state, there will literally be no reason to use Windows.

There's a reason why microsoft is switching to SAAS

Would be nice to launch Windows stuff straight from the Linux client.
The Windows client somehow really fucks up Wine sometimes.

Yep, RIP windows.

Except actual fucking work for everyone but code monkeys and Espresso Engineers.

What do you mean? Most of the artists work on Macs.

illegal :)

Yes, Espresso Engineer describes any useless position wasting company resources. They are all on Mac.

Anticheats like battleye are holding everything down though.

You mean Pajeets?

>what are assets
It must hurt being this stupid.

Attached: 1533572408410.png (996x884, 1018K)

Feel free to list "actual" work that can't be done on linux.

Found the incel

Ah, forgot about that. I think there is a conspiracy to not release games on Linux purely so their games don't get cracked so easily (especially multiplayer).

It is too good to be true i have learned in life that you should always assume the worst because that is usually what you get

>valve makes all steam games run in opengl and vulkan
>they all run like shit because directx11 and directx12 are far superior

It's senseless to have those without having the gaymes running foremost.

Attached: scary.png (191x52, 1K)

what the fugg

Oh boy, can't wait to run Linux just to be forced to use steam DRM! Surely this is the open source way!
Fuck valvedrones are pathetic

>valve
>video games
You must be 18 or older to post here

If they contribute to the wine project then it's good, otherwise fuck Valve

i'm no linuxfag, but i use ubuntu on my work computer, and i'm pretty happy with steam support desu. games like XCOM2, lots of total war games, lots of indies (mainly because a lot of them are written in java/C#) are supported, and they work terrifically for me. There are some games that are marked as being supported (7 days to die for example) but glitch and crash to the point that they're unplayable.

Linux/steamOS is still second grade, admittedly, and will probably always be, but at this point there are plenty of games that are supported on ubuntu and it works straight out of the box like on other OSs, i.e. you use the standard one-click installation then just run them without issues.

>valve forces games to be linux compatible
>GOG puts out the linux compatible versions
>DRM-free games on Linux
Except for stuff not on GOG, but most of that is already a lost cause really.

As long as this gets an actual use (read: not gaymes) then sure. Tough luck otherwise

Attached: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQKcgiCAJi74DEMDKp2WvctO8LrX6JmO-tRCxzAZBOX0Nqn8c6DuA.jpg (225x225, 7K)

Fuck off... gamers deserve rights too.

Attached: 1529422177544.jpg (298x610, 54K)

Buy a console, retard

wh-what OS do consoles use

>give your personal data to microdick because wangblows runs games
>now lincux runs games too
>install ubuntu to play games on lincux instead wangblows
>give your personal data to amazedong instead microdick
Amazon is paying valve to push gaming on Ubuntu in order to steal personal data market share from Microsoft and you idiots play right into it.

BSD or Windows, or who knows what the fuck Nintendo is using

Wasnt the switch modded android? And wasnt that the reason why it is so easy to hack and keep hacked even over updates? (of the 1st models)

What are the best FOSS games on Steam?

IF

Maybe, but to this day I don't know what ran on the Gamecube or the Wii.

I wonder if DX11 games will be ever working on Linux. DX9 work mostly, but its 2018. It doesn't impress me if it runs ancient games.

They also killed the Apple jew by writing a compatibility layer for Vulkan because Apple was trying to vender-lock with Metal. And then they open-sourced it. I think that is worthy of praise.

Ubuntu is the windows of linux

I am strongly considered that technology such as this will discourage developers from actually making good Linux ports, and that this will cause negative influx to Linux when it launches because youtubers will do side-by-side benchmarks that show Linux getting lower performance.

Isn't that part of the on-going cold war between Microsoft and Valve since MS loved the idea to open their own app store for games with W10 (and lock Valve out eventually), so Valve responded by finding ways to get gamers independent from Windows in general?

Or just run debian with all the conveniences of Ubuntu without any of the draw-backs

I too enjoy running an OS that is 5 years behind everyone else.

Goes well with your memes

>Valve may very well be working on a proprietary solution of its own, which would make sense given the name.
That is fucking stupid. Why reinvent the wheel? Why not work with established solutions like Wine?

Wine is shit for games.

wine is literally terrible

fuck off, faggot. The majority of gamers are over 18

then why do Linux evangelists keep advertising it?

>gamers
>over 18
pick one

edit, I did a cursory reading and figured out why

here you go, faggot, knock yourself out

northeastern.edu/rugglesmedia/2017/03/16/group-project-2/

>edit

>a blog hosted by Northeastern U with broken HTTPS and iframes that don't load

you literally could not have picked a worse link

Because eventually windows will find a way to fuck steam.
Do you want Steam DRM, or Wangblows DRM?

Attached: Jinxed.png (94x127, 10K)

There was no reason to use Windows before it, too.
>still no BSD build

Yep, buster and sid don't actually exist.

Attached: 1523065803019.png (432x481, 116K)

Wine = god
Fight me

It is a pure C implementation of all relevant windows calls. It develops surprisingly quickly these days. Paired with DXVK it is nearly the perfect solution and can run 98% of games. The other 2% are missing stream output support which Vulkan has yet to add. As soon as it does you will actually be able to run Everything with a capital E.

Attached: 1530999748500.jpg (320x340, 19K)

if something will ever happen to steam microsoft wont be the victor , someone else will step in like discord or something.

what is DXVK?

Linux was never alive you hipster faggot

>21xx will be the year of the Linux desktop

Attached: 1525502183424.png (313x406, 61K)

The Wii ran IOS

Why aren't games that use OpenGl/Vulkan portable to begin with? What windows only thing could they possibly need? They're fine running on PS3/PS4 systems that are custom BSD machines so what's the fucking hold up...

That was just an internal name. Not macshit.

>Why aren't games that use OpenGl/Vulkan portable to begin with?
Because game developers require their hands to be held to make their programming not shit. Hence Nvidia with their big show of software engineers. Hence shit like the Unity engine. There are very few good programmers in the gaming industry.

Hence IOS and not iOS

Agreed. GNU/Linux users who like closed source are pathetic. BSD users usually use far less proprietary software.

Nvidia are fucktards about Linux and have been for decades. If you want good Linux performance, buy AMD. It's that simple.

>what is dxvk

>OpenGl/Vulkan portable
Because OpenGL/Vulkan are only 99% crossplatfrom.

Why would I need that when Wine already exists?
Even the Steam Controller is better used with "sc-controller" in native Linux environment (and in wine you pretty much have steam already.

I get the idea, since most people don't even know about wine, but still.

either because they use exclusive stuff like nvidia gameworks or the devs can't be assed to compile for linux

Yeah, I still can't play Quake 3 Arena on most servers, because there is no "PunkBuster".

Seamlessness and ease of use, probably. Instead of having Steam on Linux and Steam in WINE, you could just download and launch games from just one client.

Reminder that running proprietary software on a free operating system is still more freedom than running proprietary software on a proprietary operating system.

It all supports developing the free operating system base. Just look at how much Android efforts have contributed to Linux.

If that were true then SteamOS would've been based on Ubuntu instead of just straight-up Debian.

>similar to how the popular tool Wine has
They'll definitely just use Wine, nothing else exists.
>“Steam Play will automatically install compatibility tools that allow you to play games from your library that were built for other operating systems.”
This would also mean MacOS can play windows stuff?
>Curiously, the description of another tool explains that users will be able to select a compatibility tool for use
It's probably just a PlayOnLinux integration then.
>these packages don’t specifically reference any of the other known compatibility tools like Wine, or DOSBox
If they're using anything else (which I doubt they are) then it's a waste of time. Reinventing the wheel is retarded, especially if they're keeping their tool closed source. They're definitely just using wine+dxvk.

However, this is all kinda sad. It just means everyone will develop games for windows exclusively and won't bother to port anything to Linux.

>little-to-nonexistent driver support for Nvidea GPUs
nVidia drivers work fine. They're unstable on some distros and Wayland, but they perform just as well as they do on windows.
>steam os dead in the water
They're still somewhat working on it, and it's just Debian with steam pre-installed and launched on boot up. It's not like they have to do anything other than bring the latest LTS of Debian packed with the latest steam client every 2 years. They aren't doing anything that would need development of any kind.
>linux performance hit
Would only apply if you're translating dx to oGL and not Vulkan using wine, not to mention that native games and vulkan-vulkan games (DOOM) should perform the same or even better. Linux performs better than windows in general, given the same quality drivers (which nVidia and new AMD provide) and a similarly optimized game (which almost nobody provides) Linux should perform better than windows.

League of Legends started supporting Linux again despite using an anti-cheat. Also CSGO.

>and can run 98% of games
yeah at 2% of the framerate and only with an extremely specific version of wine that launched 1.2 years ago

Nigga, Valve anounced the SteamOS, soon after many games, were ported to Linux. Started off with a few hundred games to now several thousands.

Valve doing this even MORE games will be playable on Linux.

It would be great but it's going to be a shitshow where one game is going to completely break whereas others will work fine. There will also be performance drops obviously. I ain't getting my hopes up

>being this wrong and retarded
You should be banned for shitposting.

Valve aren't doing shit for Linux or anyone's benefit but their own.

>Everything
call me when wine will ever launch gameguard let alone PSO2

I thought amazon wasn't preinstalled on Ubuntu anymore

valve are the bigger kikes