/tpg/Thinkpad Thread

GOAT edition

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: 16_ThinkPad_P1_Specialty_B_C_Cover-678_678x452.jpg (678x479, 99K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/hamishcoleman/thinkpad-ec
ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-X230-Core-i5-2-60GHz-16GB-Ram-Office-SSD-Windows-10-Laptop/263884573705?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
twitter.com/AnonBabble

lolis

I miss the lid latches on new Thinkpads. Were they sacrificed just because laptops need to be super thin now?

>spilled sparkling water onto my x230
>fuck fuck fuck
>big ass splash but it's fine
>remove the keyboard, start taking out keys to clean it
>fuck up like 5 key scissors
>FUCK FUCK
>wash keys with dishsoap to remove hand cheese
>start putting the keys and scissors back
>finally manage to put all but one
>one of the plastic legs broke in the pivot point
>FUCK AAAAAHHHHH
>read a guide about fixing with with wire and a lighter
>can't fucking do it, too damn fiddly
>FUCK FUCK FUCK
>broke as fuck, can't even afford a new thinkpad or keyboard
>out of desperation start pulling keys from an old T420s whose hdd died, hoping they fit
>turns out that they use the same scissors
>put it in, it's completely fine

Today was a stressful day

I don't think so, the latch system barely used any internal space

Is a T7600 Core 2 Duo the best cpu I can upgrade to on a T60? Just need to be sure before buying it, thanks Jow Forums

normies struggle with it

I just got a new Latitude with win10 preinstalled. First time ever I'm stuck on the debian install.

Can I just partition the entire disk and still recover windows with the recovery stick in case I should need it?
I can't figure out how to repartition the windows parts to make space for debian. never had that problem on disks with win7 installed on them

hi

Attached: smol.jpg (3425x3024, 2.32M)

wow that quality is absolute dogshit, sorry anons

You could have just not taken your keys out. It was just water.

thinking about getting a x230. can i swap the keyboard with my x220 keyboard?

Attached: 1509582846159.jpg (544x635, 116K)

github.com/hamishcoleman/thinkpad-ec

"Did I ever tell you how I got my smile? A practical and affordable orthodontist! You could too!"

quick quick quick uk niggers jump on this shit £36 for a x230 with 16gb ram. Unfortunately you can only buy one, you can use PIGGYBANNK at check for £5 off ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-X230-Core-i5-2-60GHz-16GB-Ram-Office-SSD-Windows-10-Laptop/263884573705?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Why the fuck are these so cheap

Attached: 1526085312098.png (421x766, 268K)

looks fine to me actually

Work just bought me a new X1 carbon 6th gen with ubuntu on it. They seem to have changed the sleep mode from the standard S3 to some new Windows-y S0i3. So it won't sleep. Yay got my dream laptop and it won't sleep, may as well be a desktop....

Anyone this issue? Apparently the new Dells have the same problem

Lenovo will tell you it's a feature but I'm pretty sure there's workaround already, look it up I'm sure you'll find it.

very thank /tpg/

best laptop i've ever used

Attached: IMG_3513.jpg (3264x2448, 1.11M)

Bought one friend. Let's hope 'Becky' is reliable.

seems really odd making me super anxious kek. Hopefully it's legit though

I mean, it has over 100 feedback, if it doesn't show up it's easily charged backed. I don't know why scammers would even bother using ebay. Paypal has so much protection in it. Worst case, it doesn't show up and the money gets refunded.

Yeah there's some guys in the Arch forums that go over how to patch the BIOS to re-enable S3. I've been looking for other options but I think I have do the patch. Lenovo support were pretty nice, they're still emailing me, but I don't think there'll be anything of it.

Can Ubuntu hibernate? Would that speed things up?

are workstations just a meme
couldn't I just get a "gaming" laptop for cheaper with likely better specs
only asking here because I've been looking at thinkpad workstations

Can I have that wall?

The difference is that gaming laptop is going to fall apart almost certainly while a workstation will last you many years. But if you buy laptop strictly for one purpose only and that's gaming, you'll have to pay a very serious premium for a workstation to get equavilent performance compared to a gaming laptop.

Workstation usually means a Quadro/FirePro. They handle models with lots of parts better than gaming GPUs.

> need Thinkpad Tablet PC
> Office and Websurfing
> GNU/Linux, probably Debian with LXDE
> 12“ Screen
> max. 300€

I went from an X220 to an X250. I'm pleasantly surprised by how much quieter it is. I liked my X220, but the tiny heatsink and fan just couldn't cut it for a 35 watt Sandy Bridge i5. The iGPU is much faster than the old Intel HD 3000, but its full potential is held back by only having single channel RAM.

I was a little worried about the chiclet keyboard, but I realize now that all of the chiclet keyboards I have ever physically touched on display models in a retail store are just shitty chiclet keyboards. I like this just as much as my X220 keyboard.

Attached: Speccy X250.png (826x657, 117K)

Does anyone have any experience with the HP Elite x2? How does it compare to the X1 Tablet?

Not by default but it can be enabled. Going to play with tonight and check it's power draw. Then potentially connect it to lid close could be a solution. It has some aftermarket ssd so wakes from hibernate pretty quick

sure bro

Attached: 7jjq4bsslopx.jpg (960x492, 59K)

Got a X1 Yoga 2nd here pretty new.

Got a crazy question about the clickpad.. where should you be able to press it down? Everywhere? Since mine can only be pressed on the lower part.. is that normal?

For you answer you get this internet.

Attached: 1252371314001.png (260x170, 52K)

Workstations often have Xeon processors, ECC ram, and different graphics cards. These are all more expensive than their consumer equivalent. Also build quality

just bought x230 with the dock for $159. i wanted that disc drive.

Attached: boomerrockin.gif (680x435, 135K)

woah.. think my autism kicked in, just realized that it always was like this and is intended .. ignore me or laugh at me if you like

Attached: 1516234775097.jpg (600x450, 30K)

Don't worry, the only ones laughing at you are anime girls on an image board.

people do try not sure how they can selling but i was selling an x1 yoga before desu and people kept inboxing me trying to scam me kek. tonnes of dumb people must fall for that shit though

comfy device desu i got one free from miscommunication with my warranty repair kek i got my laptop back fixed and one of those

Wow lucky! They never noticed and wanted it back?

I am having an issue with the battery on my X230t. I have the 67wh 6 cell battery and I'm pretty sure the guy who sold this to me lied about the condition. The laptop was on the charger all night and the battery says 1hr 13min remaining. I only have an Msata 128gb ssd in it right now. should the drain be that substantial or do I need a new battery?

Attached: 1467441924595.jpg (863x768, 149K)

sounds like it.. are you on linux? you can install tlp to see the battery health with "tlp stat"

No I am on windows 10. I read on tomshardware just now that the expected battery life should be at least 2hr 35min, I am just looking to confirm this with someone with the same battery

i7 3520m
16gb ddr3 1600mhz
128gb micron msata
windows 10
intel 5300 ultimate n

well they didn't say anything my 460 yoga was with them for like 2 months and the repair shouldn't have taken that long so i raised a complaint and asked for a replacement laptop, since they no longer sold the 460s they offered me the x1 yoga, they shipped that then my 460 came back like 2 days after i guess at that point they cxouldn't do much. Probably happened due to bad communication between the repair center and their customer care people kek

Attached: 1484592632869.jpg (1500x1125, 268K)

win in all fields

Attached: 1336266898729.jpg (480x303, 34K)

Need excel machine, light weight, sub 400$ cad decent battery.

there are similar tools for windows, not sure what to recommend, since I use windows only for bios updates.. lenovo driver has something like battery health info to I think

I'm getting a second hand T470 next month. Does anyone tried any egpu docks with it? I would like to invest into one coming next year, probably not going higher than a 1070. My plan is to upgrade the laptop next year when the T480 drops in price on the second hand market, since the quad cores would be nice to have.

Attached: gondola-chassis-1.jpg (870x769, 108K)

Thinkpad T61 VS Thinkpad T430
What should i take?

T430 much more modern and swappable processors at only a slightly higher cost.

T61 is literally vintage collector hobby tier while T430 has no problems with modern computing tasks and comparable to new laptops in terms of performance (not in terms of battery life or screen quality though).

it was mineral sparkling water, it would have probably shorted it out. I also cleaned the keyboard with isopropyl alcohol

Where's the trap?

Attached: FaceApp_1528339143524.jpg (1280x1280, 680K)

completely wipe by going into other partition options and after making a bootable stick of debian.
add bootia32.efi file inside BOOT folder where boot64.efi is present.
this helps in that stick getting detected and helps in removing complete windows and you can do a fresh install of any OS you want, just add thoat bootia32.efi file.
sauce: google linuxium respin iso - you should land in linuxium blogs where some user does these on netbooks.
all the best

the x230 is the best electronic device I've ever owned. I love this laptop

Attached: 20180817_113630.jpg (1113x626, 124K)

Specs and can it be used for unique spreadsheets is it light weight n enough battery to last a couple hours?

It's actually a very respectable laptop for multitasking on ubuntu. Mine has 8gb ram, i5, and a 120gb ssd. Battery life is about an hour and a half to 2 hours with light work. It's not extremely lightweight but it is small and easy to carry around.

My only complaint is the small screen resolution and non IPS display. I just bought a t440p with the 1080p IPS which I'm highly considering using as my new laptop but I just love the feel of this x230 too much.

Would anyone recommend an i7, 16gb x280?

No, X280 is probably the worst out of nupads.

Ahh fuk, its the only one my workplace offers

What are good t420 specs for uni. Basic business student.

I want a high performance thinkpad 4 music production , is the P-series i good choice? Any cheaper (but highpowered) solutions? Currently using a x220
kek

Which ThinkPad would a business executive of a S&P 100 corporation use?

I mean if it's free or something I'd take it but I wouldn't pay for it.

Agree. I'm building my x230 t as a battle laptop to take on deployment

$500 deposit, probably give it a miss. Just found out the screen is tn, Jesus christ my it department

I bought a t470s not too long ago, really good laptop, sturdy, no kb flex, great screen, TB3 (bought a tb3 dock too) works beautifully. Good battery life. TLP works wonders.

I used a t430 for a long time, this is a huge upgrade.

Sounds like a typical IT department, I'd pass on it then user but do ask them for T480/T480s those thinkpads are awesome imo.

sup /tpg/

/p/ here, what thinkpad would you recommend?
I was looking into an X1 Carbon with a QHD display because its ~80% AdobeRGB and its portable which is a big plus. But I read it has shit quality-control compared to other Thinkpad models...
P51/P71 have better displays and the Pantone colour calibrator looks nifty, but I hate how bulky they are.
Any suggestions? My budget is give or take 3000 leafbux, should I just wait until the P1 comes out in a few months?

No TB3 eGPU user here I figure?

Attached: set-it-all-on-fire.png (800x537, 1.06M)

I doubt it, got a laptop with TB3 myself and the dock station is too expensive to buy even for fun purposes, seriously why is the price on those things so high? I could build an entire itx system for the same price.

Wtf is the status on the A485?

Should I get a X230 or a T430 or something else for around the same price.

What's the best place to sell a Thinkpad? Craigslist has been an absolute nightmare. It's a T430 with 3520M, 16GB 1600MHz, Nvidia 5400M, Intel 6300N, 256GB SSD in primary/256SSB in UltraBay, 16:9 panel.

Shops are currently stocking up, you should be able to get one within a week. Still no sign of the A285.

Well I like the notion that I can pick up my life and work from wherever, whenever. I'm a full remote employee. And when home, it's nice to be able to play a couple steam games with a better GPU connected to the system. I know it is costly, I'm looking for an option that is cheap and upgradable in the future.

>why not desktop
Because I'm a ThinkLad.

Forgot picture

Attached: a485.jpg (1300x515, 137K)

How do those amd+vega laptops do with Linux?

What's the best new Thinkpad under $1000
That preferably has 8gb ram, and a ssd

Ryzen is great on Linux.
Vega is okay, drivers out of box are trash, I forget which drivers are the good ones ATM, but once they're installed they're just as good as expected, nothing spectacular.

hopefully they will drive down the price on A475s

Anyone know if the hdd caddy for the T60 15" is the same size as a T60 14"?

>being a bitch who cant handle a situation calmly and in control

Just got this email sent desu looks like it wasn't legit

Attached: xiUaoqH.png (573x433, 19K)

Are the t480 or t580 any good?

what's the best Thinkpad for CAD?

P series

laptop keyboards are meant to be replaced not repaired. They're like $20.

$50 with shipping, shipping my 3rd world country takes 1-2 month, my particular language layout might not be in stock. And I'm so broke I don't have $50 to spend.

I'm a fucking retard and I went for a backlit keyboard on my p50.
I didn't know going backlit would mean they would give you the not-textured keys that get fucking oily if you touch them once
Any idea if I can swap the keyboard (and where to get one) while keeping the backlighting? Even if I have to get rid of the backlights, I don't mind too much as I never use it

what battery do i buy for x230? i want the big 9 cell one but i dont know where i should be buying one from. anyone know where to get the good ones?

overpriced garbage
fuck (((lenovo)))

amd gpu drivers are included in the kernel now

get a chink one and the bios patch desu

some chink fakes are pretty gud at being fakes and can fool the antifake shit
like my t440p 9-cell

based

cringe

>decimal before the hundreds column
>comma before the tenths column

I will never understand why Euros do this

>Under $1000
>8 gigs of RAM

You are most likely looking at an E485 or E585.