>2018
>Businesses still buy IBM mainframes
A rack full of AMD Epyc severs would be cheaper and more powerful

Attached: ibm_z_1-100729283-large.jpg (700x468, 49K)

You need go back to

t. kike Intlel shill

Too expensive to change their entire system to work with EPYC. How about you stop being retarded before you kill a thread for this

>Too expensive to change their entire system to work with EPYC
>Doesnt realize its x86
>Doesnt realize most if not all data centers are x86
>literally doesnt know what he's talking about

>implying Intel has mainframes
Yeah, you need to fuck off and go back to fucking retard!

He's not wrong. IBM is over priced shit with barely adequate support.
Now that Dell EMC and Supermicro have amazing Epyc servers, buying anything Intel would be a stupid move unless you're vendor locked.

Yeah, credit card company, banks and etc will change from mainframes with Power to x86 servers.

>Unless vendor locked
Did you even read my post. Most companies aren't on mainframes and POWER.

>arguing about mainframes like they're a "thing"
>doesnt realize that technology has already moved to "horizontal scaling"
This is how I know you dont know what you're talking about.
The only orgs that have use out of mainframes are universities and potential governments. No one is going to run a fucking database on a mainframe.

>what is xeon platinum or itanium

Attached: 16e.jpg (903x960, 45K)

>Too retarded to read the first post and understand that this thread is about MAINFRAMES

credit card companies and banks could really use an infrastructure upgrade, secure transactions are sure taking a long fucking time

A server chip and unsuitable for Big Iron.

Z/Arch chips beat the shit out of x86's best all day long and the System Z as a whole is far more reliable than a cluster of Supermicro shitboxes glued together with ethernet and chewing gum ever will be, they're built to take incredible amounts of punishment while maintaining 20+ year projected uptimes AND encrypting fucking everything inside and outside of them.
Server chips for cheap commodity hardware, not mainframes.

>over priced
If that was true, IBM would be out of business.

I have heard z/OS is amazing.
Anyone here having used it and to tell their impression?

>A rack full of AMD Epyc severs would be cheaper and more powerful
lmao

>0 technical support
>0 enterprise tier shit like hotswappable cpu
>0 blade servers sold in the market
>0 cluster support

unlike intel processors, amd is still not matured enough in enterprise market. funny thing is they still push le gamur xdd shit on server processors

>I have heard z/OS is amazing.
kek I imagine it's shit from the 60s running on emulators

>2018
>still rooting for Intel

No nvlink

If it was true that nobody bought overpriced trash then Apple and more than half of the luxury car makers would be out of business too.

>If it was true that nobody bought overpriced trash then Apple and more than half of the luxury car makers would be out of business too.
The point is that nothing that sells well is overpriced. Not apple, and not luxury cars.
If you think something is overpriced, go ahead and compete.

You're using the market definition of pricing. In a free market with total knowledge it's impossible for something to be over or underpriced. However we live in a world of irrationality and marketing driven information fog. IBM is overpriced per useful derivable value of their product when compared to the competition. People still buy IBM either because it's what they already have (so they're comfortable) or because they think the name is better due to marketing. In reality their hardware is more expensive while being no more reliable, their support contracts are absurd, and the quality of support is mediocre.

Basically if you're buying IBM, you're dumb. There are plenty of dumb people in this world, and that's the market niche IBM is going after now. It's why they're pushing AI that isn't, and blockchain as a panacea. IBM and Oracle fit in the same camp as tech scam artists who have armies of attorneys to ensure they don't exactly break the law with their poor business practices. Eventually this will kill them, but they have shitloads of inertia from once being real companies who did good work.

AMD is good enough for gayman rigs. That's about it.

Except that's not true and businesses buy for more than just power. They buy for support, consistency and ability to deliver. Not to mention if you're buying a mainframe it's because the application vendor for whatever reason requires it.

Something that AMD has not been consistent with at all the past 10 years.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
your games machine wouldn't be able to withstand an hour's work a mainframe does.
A thousand or more concurrent atcive users?
Million line databases? Dozens of communications links? Batch processing systems (beloved of banks, insurance companies and utilities)?
Forget it kid. If it doesn't run an IBM OS it's a toy.

>If it doesn't run an IBM OS it's a toy.
Most of IBM's competition (Control Data, ICL, Natsemi, Fujitsu etc) mainframes ran IBM operating systems.

He actually has a point though. Try running a giant, and I mean GIANT, Oracle database on Linux with Intel or AMD.

Have fun with setting up that trainwreck and bad performance. God help you if you have to deal with getting infiniband to work properly and partitioning up your database because Linux can't handle giant monolithic databases at all.

it's pretty funny to me how people think we were just primitive cavemen in the '60s despite pretty much every meaningful modern idea being present in high-end IBM systems by the end of that decade, and modern z/OS and similar operating systems like z/VM are far more advanced while still maintaining compatibility with the original S/360 line which is a pretty significant achievement

>nb4 the gamer baby just screeches "but thats OLD!!!" like it means anything in practical terms

Mainframes are for throughput, not raw processing power. Not common anymore, but I know that some airports still use them for controlling flight scheduling stuff and ticket terminals

How do I hack into the Mainframe?

>xeon
>itanium
>mainframes
Oh my God, shut up!

Attached: 1521237376202.png (1228x1150, 191K)

>Linux can't handle giant monolithic databases at all.

yeah, that must be why all the big data companies are using mainframes

They pay for reliability and long-term support

They are willing to shell out premiums for that, something that AyyMD shills will never understand

Maybe when its time to fully replace their systems they will consider AyyMD but if it works why replace it?

Dumb AyyMD shill

A single PC with an SSD would be enough for that.

congratulations on making the dumbest post I've read on Jow Forums today

What's a "big data company"? You mean like the banking, insurance and retail service companies that keep and process huge amounts of customer/inventory data on mainframes and are the primary reason they still exist today?

They would need to redo the software because those things are freaking mainframes.

>not understanding fault resistant engineering
>not understanding companies have legacy cobol and broker code that would cost tens of millions of dollars to convert
>not understanding that mainframes have higher net throughout (not to be confused with performance)
>not understanding that most of these companies have used mainframes since 50s/60s
>not understanding that every mainframe replacement company has really shitty software

Did i mention they literally never break? Some companies have absolutely zero acceptable downtime (like banks.) You can seriously run entire fortune 500 companies on these too.

If you wanted to have a mainframeless fortune 500 company (emphasizing that needs to support legacy Middleware/etc,) you're going to have to spring up a fuck ton of Java boxes which break every fuckin time a Linux patch comes out. Not to mention hiring a bunch of developers who will bitch when you tell them to convert COBOL to spring Java or some other enterprise Java environment.

Then go ahead and compete all those overpriced shit companies out of market.

t. eri

It's happening. Few in the know take IBM seriously. They're going to hemorrhage market position to Amazon, Microsoft, Dell, etc. until gone.

Winner winner chicken dinner

What naysayers often fail to understand is how valuable consistency (and, as an extension, reliability) is for enterprise systems.

And also the same people who think that COBOL is a thing of the past.

fact is no fortune 500 execs are going to listen to some techy code monkey explain why ibm isn't the gold standard. they already have shipped almost all cobol coding offshore, they need to make sure hardware is reliable

They still break as much (little?) as any expensive computer would, though. It's just that they're designed with so many redundant systems and complex software to match them that you can have multiple CPU/board failures/whatever before you even notice something's wrong as an end user.
Oh damn, we've got an industry professional here. How is IBM going to survive without all that trendy web developer revenue?

Yup.. None of these kids have jobs. I would have said the exact same shit before i worked.

As far as consistency is concerned, absolutely. Try running 10000 simultaneous queries on a DB2 mainframe db with hundreds of millions of rows. It will take a while BUT it will return in a reasonable amount of time (relative depending on query ofc, it could take days.)

Try that on a fuckin MSSQL/MySQL/Teradata box. Hahaha good fucking luck, you'll wait until the end of the universe.

>nog + woman IT
>IBM hardware

checks out

>I'll throw out a bunch of retarded buzzwords I just came up with, then I'll look smart

no problem I'll just port all our software from IMS / uCOBOL, brb in 65 years.

We run DB2 on our mainframe with 40TB+ data at any given time. AMA

>mainframes with Power
z/Architecture isn't POWER.
In fact, it's practically the polar opposite of it as basically *the* definition of a CISC architecture.

> new kid
> why is the company still using (old thing), it should use (new thing)
> new kid becomes not new kid when they realize the slow pace of enterprise change is for a very good reason

Can you upload the data for us?

>No one is going to run a fucking database on a mainframe.

That's literally the only thing they're designed to do well

Did you expect 16 year old gaymers on Jow Forums to know anything about enterprise?

Sure ano- oh looks like the dell poweredge running NoSQL shit the bed when i tried 12,747,346,384 insertions :/

I mean, I like crazy huge computing clusters as much as the next nerd, but they're not the best choice for everything.

^this guy gets it.
Plebs will never understand this
/thread

Another based user

>you can have multiple CPU/board failures/whatever before you even notice something's wrong as an end user.
Not is everything redundant, it can all also be hotswapped, CPUs included.

This is the kind of hole you dig yourself into when your SLA is "we can't be down, ever, for anything" and you don't plan for how you transition off of whatever you're doing now twenty years down the line.

Stupid milennial cunt

Epyc (though the name is shit) is not that great as a high-end "gazmerz" PC. Zen is not that great for those that want to jack off to 144 Hz at 1440p. The fact it has more cores and more connectivity stuff that servers/mainframes could use on Epyc makes it a great option. No one's retarded for picking IBM, they have their strengths too like an open architecture, but Epyc isn't terrible either. If anything, Intel sucks since it's proprietary, expensive, and isn't as value-orientated as AMD or as powerful as IBM. Nor does it have even all the connectivity of AMD I think, doesn't AMD allow more PCIe ports? IBM should kick both their pants on stuff like that, but I think even AMD does better than Intel on that too. Unfortunately I don't know how the reliability of POWER and Zen compare, but it's not like chips are more likely to bug out on Zen. Hell, Intel has had some dumb security issues recently (meltdown, now there's foreshadow, ouch) exclusive to itself (or alongside ARM for meltdown) that Zen avoided. Judging purely by security (hopefully implies better reliability overall), AMD doesn't seem to be that terrible and is just a bit behind POWER (there was the hardware flaw that led to compilation errors on Linux on early 1st gen hardware, later revisions in 1st gen fixed it and AMD replaced the early trash Ryzens). The future is yet to be seen how Zen will go, but who knows.

It's not like I'm saying though desktop Ryzen or even Threadripper 2 WX would kick IBM's ass though, yeah those platforms would suck unless it's some workstation or low-end to mid-tier server. That's why they're consumer targeted.

As for OS, you know IBM mainframes also run on GNU/Linux too as well? Not all are on z/OS, and Linux use is getting bigger on those kinds of devices.

Uhh.... no.

Well duh, it was stupid, flight data is much more complex and intensive than what that user thinks.

Nope, mainly it's businesses that use them. "Big Data."

Because Epyc is a joke and their operating systems are designed for Power, not Epyc4thewin. AMD's garbage is suitable for toys, like gaming PCs, and nothing more.

Uhh, as I said again, AMD isn't that great on a gaming PC either, unless the most you need is VR or 60 FPS. Its strength is workstations, servers, and being a more bang per buck option for mainframes due to "moar coars" than Intel and more connectivity. Epyc is to mainframes as Threadripper is to servers/workstations, a potential lower-end option, while doing great on servers.

PC gamers just worship Eypc a bit too much becuase they hope it'll give AMD the money they need, it's not like they're going to use one when they want to jack off on their 1000 FPS at 854930p on their 2 core i20-99999999k and GeForce RTX Titan 8080Ti.

You're being quite a retard with your "hurr toy" rhetoric.
Epyc is indeed not a good replacement for custom systems that would take not only millions if not billions of dollars to replace, as finding good programmers as the original ones that is probably impossible now.

Epyc is actually good at the cloud meme.
If you need a shitton of virtual machines, there's no IBM, intel or ARM solution that even come close.
It's aimed at stuff like amazon, google, microsoft..

Reminder the Epyc name was chosen to shit on Intel's failed Itanium Epic.
8200 AMD employees shitting on 102,000 Intel employees
can you believe that? fucking 102,000 employees

Attached: SS_2018-08-17_22.png (578x546, 54K)

>Because Epyc is a joke and their operating systems are designed for Power
that would AIX, your "common" IBM server

but on pic is mainframe, not power based
Z is even more stable and secure

>fucking 102,000 employees

>because everyone at intel worked on that arch
fucking mouthbreathing funboys

They're bloated, faggot. They don't need that many employees. Time to downsize and send all the poos and diversity hires out of that fucking company while keeping only those who do great on merit, effort, and hard work in the company. Intel can do better.
And the next time you try to sabotage TSMC foundries with a virus, fucking do it without getting tipped off.

Attached: Intel is fucked round 2.jpg (1799x886, 854K)

Make a fast SystemZ emulator and maybe those companies would buy AMD Epyc :V)

I don't care about your change of topic, sorry

Goes both ways, retard.

But SPARC is far better than Ebyn for cloud and virtual machines. Are you retarded?

They are

>SPARC
it is >current year man

I used to work in insurance and all of the policies are input into mainframes back in Illinois. We actually had to log into the mainframe just to quote some types of policies. The other agents hated it, but once I realized what I was dealing with it wasn't too bad.

What's funny about it is that mainframes can be hilariously insecure if you know how to exploit them.

They're doing better than ever...

Attached: 1528230069091.jpg (376x349, 22K)

And in the current year they have 32 cores each with 8 threads with hardware acceleration of Java and SQL running at 5GHz. So?

That woman should be in the kitchen cooking me up a fine meal, not tinkering around with billion dollar machines. Make me a sandwich bitch! Hahaha haha.

Trading will still rely on monolithic CPUs, so not AMD.

>I don't understand what software is

get the fuck off Jow Forums

>>you're unwilling to completely restructure your life and do something you might not want to do in order to develop a product that can easily compete with currently overpriced and shitty products?
>>well I guess it's not overpriced then is it lol checkm8

I'm so glad we live in a world where people aren't allowed to
make objective, factual observations unless they forfeit their livelihood becoming venture capitalists to enter into competition with people who will crush them--despite shilling inferior products--for no reason other than that they have dominated the industry for 50 years and possess influence that is entirely independent of capitalistic competition.

imagine being this ignorant.

Attached: ok what did you expect seriously.gif (300x300, 1.49M)

Where do you work? What kind of data are you dealing with? Do you like your job?

ITT
t. Brainless who don’t know where half of IBM’s revenue comes from

you realize that the mainframe revenue will dry up over the next few years as customers are upgrading to the z14 this year

>it's a NEET without any job experience tells big corporations how they should run their business thread
hidden

AMD shills bit more than they could chew

This delusion. Do you work at Oracle or something? There's a reason why everybody on the Sparc team has been getting fired and it's not Intel.

Banking. It's pretty nice, laid back. Get 10 bank holidays a year and 15 days vacation on top.

And what do you do? Are you just a DBA?

IBM has an excellent customer support. If your buying mainframes I'd say you want no fuckups. You'll understand when you get a bit older