Enough is enough, inform me on the best linux distros you guys know about

Enough is enough, inform me on the best linux distros you guys know about.

Attached: Screenshot (3).png (1920x1080, 947K)

You can get any distro to do anything you want it to, it just takes more or less time/skill depending on which one you use.
Try Debian for a start.

Install Gentoo.

>implying op will make it past setting up wifi
Just use something like mint/xubuntu/ubuntu mate, you aren't ready for big boy linux yet.

THIS should be at the very top. Jow Forums is dead.

Attached: 93423543.jpg (750x742, 138K)

doesn't matter too much. as long as it fits your needs, you don't need to waste your time trying to find the absolute best distro

This is actually true. The software is all the same, but the beauty in linux is configuring it to work the way you want it to.

Alpine Linux. It doesn't have such harmful bloatnets such as: systemd, glibc, gnu programs. Instead it has based musl and apk package manager.

if you want something that just werks use the latest ubuntu/kubuntu/xubuntu/lubuntu
if you want something a bit more 31337 use in order of least 1337 to most 1337 :
debian, fedora, alpine, arch, gentoo, LFS
if you want full autism you can use one of the *bsd's or plan 9 or some other server-oriented OS
i've omitted hundreds of distros of course, these are just the ones that come up most

It does not matter all that much

Linux Mint (Cinnamon) is a nice start if you want something that feels familiar.

Ubuntu Budgie if you want something that is modern and practical.

I use Solus myself.

Clover OS
install in a few minutes, mess with configs for a bit, check out the included scripts, done
ez gentoo install

Personally I like Manjaro, I'm using the Budgie desktop but I have KDE installed and I switch in between the two. KDE for blurry terminals and eye candy, Budgie for comfy.

Manjaro is basically preconfigured Arch, sort of like Ubuntu is to Debian, except Manjaro/Arch use the same packages for the most part while Ubuntu uses newer packages than Debian stable.

If you're just starting out, use Ubuntu (or Mint). I'm not a huge fan of the default Ubuntu which uses the GNOME desktop environment, but I really like Budgie (Ubuntu Budgie) which is based somewhat on GNOME. Look at screenshots and see what sort of aesthetic you like, another option is the K Desktop Environment (KDE), but if you're going to use that skip Kubuntu and go for KDE Neon (latest KDE based on LTS Ubuntu).

Another option is MATE (Ubuntu MATE) and Xfce (Xubuntu). MATE is derived from GNOME version 2, since many people thought that it started sucking with version 3, and it provides a traditional desktop layout and is not that heavy with respect to resources. You can use the Compiz window manager with it for fancy effects. Xfce is also traditional and lightweight and configurable, main drawback is the included screen compositor has tearing, but you can switch to the Compton compositor instead.

Linux Mint is based on and binary compatible with Ubuntu LTS and includes the Cinnamon desktop environment. Of all these, I think Cinnamon is the most like Windows 7, it's based on GNOME3 but with the traditional desktop layout. They also have a MATE version, but you're probably better off just using Ubuntu MATE.

Worth mentioning is elementary OS, also based on Ubuntu, with a macOS inspired aesthetic and their own apps that integrate well to the Desktop Environment. I found it to be a little buggy with my monitor though, or I'd probably be using it now.

Keep in mind you can install all these desktop environments on almost any distro, so you can get Manjaro in many of the same flavours.

You'll be returning to winshit, anyway...

For real work? OpenSUSE with KDE. Has all the productivity tools you need along with rock solid stability, good package management, amazing mobile power management on laptops, modern file system support (XFS on SSDs is snappy as fuck) and cool tools like YaST.

For general home use? Devuan, Slackware, or Void. For tinkering? Gentoo. Definitely Gentoo. For server use? Devuan is nice. Embedded? Alpine.

Bonus non-Linux systems: NetBSD, OpenBSD, Haiku OS, React OS, and Temple OS.

Attached: MikeAutismBlanket.jpg (688x750, 58K)

It doesn't matter what distro you use since you can use whichever tools you want
GNU/Linux can easily be customised

>Try Debian for a start.
Uh, no.

i think fedora might be alright, either the xfce or lxde one
debian is trash incl it's spawns

>amazing mobile power management on laptops
*installs tlp*
how is any other distro not amazing?

XFS or F2FS on SSDs?

Quite right you are, demon-monster thing.

None of them, I tried them all and every few months they keep fucking up and I need to switch. If you can manage to not fuck up badly, I recommend Debian. Other than that, TempleOS.

>flash player shortcut

Might as well just delete that folder you have open

WSL is the best linux

Try Opensuse or Solus

This but unironically

I took the liberty of making a list of good linux distros, here it goes:
>

OpenSUSE Leap is pretty good for work. OpenSUSE Tumbleweed, not so much. With OpenSUSE You will want the Packman repos for the extra packages. In Tumbleweed's case the packages will break and conflict with the main repos often enough. Despite their automated testing, I have encountered completely broken packages even the main repos.
XFS is fast, but it's the most fragile Linux file system. It doesn't react well to power outages and hard resets. Do not run it unless you know what you're doing. Do not run it if you're new.

install gentoo

Attached: 2018-08-18-050650_1024x768_scrot.png (1024x768, 148K)

you should start with Antergos. it's easy enough to install for absolute beginners, and you get all the Arch comfort.
apt-based distros like Debian, Ubuntu, Mint are hellholes to me.

>For general home use? Devuan, Slackware, or Void.
That's a strange way I spell openSUSE with KDE.

KDE is the reddit of DEs.

For old hardware? LXLE
You absolutely want to use KDE? OpenSUSE
For anything else? Fedora

GNOME 3 = Tumblr
KDE = Reddit
GNOME 2 = Slashdot
MATE = that Slashcode fork website
XFCE = Kuro5hin

Windows 7

>Fedora
wayland, gnome and systemd is such a cancerous combination

What's the Jow Forums of DEs then? A few years ago I would have said ratpoison but nowadays the site is too tame.

tiling window manager
hipsters of Jow Forums dont like to use DEs anymore

>OpenSUSE with KDE
this
especially opensuse leap

It's not difficult to switch the DE with Fedora or use a different one from the beginning. The spins all work fine, except for KDE. OpenSUSE definitely has a superior implementation (superior = doesn't crash all the goddamn time).
Also while Wayland is the default for GNOME, you can easily switch to X11 by choosing the Xorg variant during login.

Of course, if you are against systemd then none of my recommendations are for you. However I assume that someone who wants to use Linux for the first time doesn't know or care about it.

DEs are bloat. I use dwm, it's a tiling window manager in under 2k lines of code.

Could you define "bloat"?

Any software or features that you use and I don't.

Good one.

i3wm

search online what's the best
it is ubuntu
go with that
xubuntu worked pretty fine on my old dual core duo laptop, but you can change the Ubuntu to Xubuntu or Lubuntu whatever you want because this oses are very customizable. You just read how to change a Desktop Environment online and you are done. The apps are not dependant on the os so you can literally unninstall almost everything and reinstall different apps (say the file manager). Good luck.

>check out opensuse
>5gb iso
nice bloat

Just take 10 minutes to uninstall the botnet shit Windows comes with retard.

Debian with cinnamon is comfy

I just downloaded debian as my first linux distro. Works great. Just had to download some stuff to get my wifi to work

Fuck off then. Debian stable with Cinnamon is the best.

>>>>>>systemd

Windows itself is botnet.
Install Parabola GNU/Linux.

how long did it take to compile qutebrowser with qtwebengine on your machine pal?

>qutebrowser
i never installed it
>qtwebengine
i dont remember exactly but including all the dependencies it took like 10 minutes

using openSUSE Leap on laptop right now.
On my machine It performs better than any other distro (even better than stripped down Arch).

It is not a flawless distro though.

If you go with btrfs/Snapper route - be ready that once in a while your certified toaster will struggle with 100% CPU load when the system decides to make a snapshot. Also, it looks that snapshots aren't removed automatically. so you'll have to delete them yourself. Otherwise, if your root partition is small - you'll get out of free memory pretty soon.

Repos are small compared to other mainstream distros. OBS and flatpaks help though.

There is also a very minor fuckery to make fonts look nice and install codecs.

All of this aside - I'm having a good time with openSUSE. Contrary to Fedora it won't suddenly make your system unbootable and contrary to Ubuntu it won't bother you with popups with weird errors.

Attached: ash.jpg (222x329, 20K)

The internet is a botnet thru your isp

What kind of fuckery then

So much bait in one post, although I agree with SystemD part.
this

I myself use Void because it's minimal and comfy, I used Arch and Gentoo before though.

>Debian stable
Enjoy having trouble with modern hardware. I couldn't install debian and switch to sid on a coffee lake box because it wouldn't recognize my built-in NIC.

Xubuntu