I’m new to filesystems. What are the major differences between

I’m new to filesystems. What are the major differences between
•ext4
•btrfs
•zfs

...and which one would you recommend for daily usage Jow Forums?

Attached: 33BEAB05-87A4-4D51-A96C-BA95554E8408.png (1080x1440, 177K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Reiser#Trial_and_verdict
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The major difference is your street credit once you say that you use a different FS for Linux. Other than that, meh. Ext4 if you don't care, ZFS if you're on FreeBSD and I heard that XFS is good for SSDs.

If you don't have any special needs, just use ext4.

New Technology File System is all you need.

Use reiserfs because Linux is a lot of little files.

XFS for main drive, ext4 for everything else

btrfs for root, f2fs for home is clearly the way to go

ReiserFS because waifu optimized.

ext4 is the more simple/conservative option. btrfs uses b trees as in the name. zfs is a bloated abomination but ok if u have a complicated file system

NTFS

Still waiting for linux port of HAMMER2.

Why?

Is he still in prison?

Attached: 1523892247756.jpg (620x613, 146K)

where's fat128

Attached: 4NcHwAV.png (614x614, 31K)

This. Use an SSD with XFS for the boot disk and EXT4 on all extra HDDs.

btrfs so you can take system snapshots before updating and roll back, f2fs to maximize IO speeds on your NVME drive for personal files. You *do* have an NVME SSD with multiple gigabytes per second of read and write speed in 2018, don't you user?

Fuck reiserfs, it's creator is a murderer

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Reiser#Trial_and_verdict

Here's my 0.2 opinion:

For daily computing needs with your Desktop/netbook/laptop, NTFS. It just works.
For long term Data Survival on servers use either ZFS or ReFS. These two file systems are designed to ensure that from the time that first block of data is written to disk, that data will be 100% error free and usable/readable for as long as the server or it's drives remain in operation.

I have been using XFS as my boot drive that is an SSD for about a year, it slows down after time. Now I'm using btfs as the file format and its MUCH FASTER. but only problem I had with xfs you can't resize it.
>install Gentoo with me

Actually, this makes the FS even cooler. I wish people would stop associating personal lives of people with their work. ReiserFS could've been still big if people were still supporting it and improving it.

>stop associating
i doubt people want to be associated with a murderer

But that has nothing to do with his work

You went from one meme to another meme. Just use ext4.

cannot murder an animal as all women are, kek.

>cannot resize it

wtf you talking about, you can resize live xfs partitions.

Just use ext4 unless you have autism.

Ext4 - the standard for Linux. Very reliable and has all the main features you'd expect from a good file system. Would always reccomend placing root on Ext4 as that's what things are tested against.
Btfs - new and still unstable. Intended to easily combine multiple disks together, good with RAID setups. Avoid if you're new, and never put important data on there for at least the next few years.
XFS - Another new filesystem, more stable than Btfs. I hear it scales very well and so is good for storing media. I wouldn't put system files on there as again it's Ext4 that's the stable one.

You can’t shrink XFS, unless they added that feature since I last used it

>XFS
>new
It was made in 1993 by SGI for IRIX

Attached: 1524796742495.webm (720x720, 1.9M)

oh, that's true. yet how often do you need to shrink it?

Really? I have no idea where I got that it was new from then. The rest of the points still stand.
Cute webm.

I've used XFS for the past 12 years. Hasn't failed me once. I'm afraid of ext3/4 for some reason. I use ext2 for my /boot partition.

Well after SGI went tits up, RedHat has been more recently pushing it onto all new installations by default

this desu
do you really wanna be a fucking ext4 n00b?
didn't think so, now do you could use a few choices, but I'll name a couple of tasty little options for you here.

ReiserFS, now this hot little choice is barely even maintained - yes you'd be the coolest kid on the block running this!

BTRFS, wow, just wow - store you files on this bad boy, and bam you'll wake up to find one missing or currupt, it's that bleeding edge. don't forget to tell your arch buddies that you're using it though, or it'll all be for nothing!

>for at least the next few years
Oh boy, I remember reading this about btrfs 10 years ago...

Why is btrfs permanently unstable anyway? Did the devs all just give up?

>there's no fart128

>Why is btrfs permanently unstable anyway?
It's not. They add and work on new compontents of it that may be unstable for a time, but the core filesystem and most of the existing features on top of it have been stable for years. RAID5/6 is pretty much the only thing that's still "unstable" on btrfs, and it still works fine nearly always.
I've been running btrfs for years with heavy usage, various snapshots routines, and occasional balance filter installations to in-place convert between RAID profiles and I've never lost any data.

>XFS
>new
XFS is as old as Linux (originally for SGI's proprietary Unix) and ported to Linux since 2000.
For some reason Linuxfags decided to develop their own inferior ext2/ext4 systems instead of making XFS work better.

Ewww
Btrfs for / for snapshots, xfs for /home for stuff

>XFS - Another new filesystem
LMAO