Cars are botnet now

archive.fo/qaMgc

Modern cars are sending all kinds of data to their manufacturers, and they plan to monetize it through many means, including targeting ads to you and selling your data to insurers.

Not even EU citizens are safe from this. A new law (eCall) makes it mandatory for every new car to have an internet-connected device that sends location data for emergencies, and can't be turned off.

Attached: avensis girl.jpg (930x620, 415K)

Other urls found in this thread:

soda.swedishict.se/5933/1/T2015_08.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>buying new cars
>ever

>and can't be turned off.

Attached: 1513372210143.jpg (200x200, 5K)

Afraid to drive classic cars around? You turn heads , pick up babes, and meet interesting people. Why do people insist on driving new cars.

what is the librebooted thinkpad of cars?

Why do people on this website keep insisting that everything that's wrong with them is a product of their lifestyle and not something fundamentally and deeply wrong with themselves?
If you aren't cool enough to turn heads, pick up babes, and meet interesting people now, having a classic car isn't gonna help that.

Twingo built from scratch.

>Afraid to drive classic cars around?
(((they're))) banning older cars from being driven in many cities in the EU due to """emissions""" and insurance costs on them are through the roof

>A new law (eCall) makes it mandatory for every new car to have an internet-connected device that sends location data for emergencies, and can't be turned off.
Wasn't it just a SIM card for an automatic emergency call though? I mean, when I say "just", I still don't want it in my car, but there's a difference between phone connection and internet connection.

mmm feet

>car doesn't turn on afterwards

Older cars are more expensive to maintain because parts for them are less available.

>(((they're))) banning older cars from being driven in many cities in the EU due to """emissions"""
Partially wrong. Paris may have banned older cars. In Germany, the site of the latest diesel bans, cars with historic plates are actually exempt from low emissions zones as "pieces of cultural heritage". Also you don't need to put emissions into quotation marks because they actually are emissions.
>and insurance costs on them are through the roof
Not as far as I'm aware of. Historic cars are no harder to insure than any recent cars. Usually they're cheaper actually because historic car owners drive a lot more carefully than the average driver, and therefore produce fewer accidents.

Hit me with that Lada 1200/Wartburg 1.3/Trabant 1.1 then senpai. Guaranteed 0 botnet, 100% serviceable even in the middle of fucking nowhere.

new cars are cheaper to drive around in

>he thinks clipping an aerial will cause his car to stop working

Oh boy, better not go into the tunnel or my car will breakdown

Attached: 1514449250026.png (3388x3638, 326K)

It's still legal to remove it but wait 5-10 years until it become illegal to remove it.

Lol
>2016 Chevrolet turdmobile: parts only available at dealer, little to no aftermarket parts or upgrades
>1982 Honda shitvic: you can build an entire car from scratch with new production Chinese/us parts on eBay for like $7000

No it's not, stop talking shit. it's your fucking car,you can do what you want with it

He was implying they will integrate it to your car in a way you can't turn on the engine without the botnet for "security reasons" (spying).

Right because I definitely feel safer trusting the chinese or some literal who from ebay.

In Europe you can't do what you want with your car if security is involved. In fact you literally own nothing in modern society.

Why can't we have nice things like boomers had?
>food full of chemicals
>houses expensive as shit
>computers full of botnet beyond any expectation
>shit jobs
>mass surveillance
>cars with botnet too
>((((((iot))))))
Sad.

Don't know about you, but I unironically trust them more than major companies.

that's some mental gymnastics you're going through there. I bet you think you'll need to submit a fecal sample i order to start your car soon too, huh?

wake me up when it actually happens

>that's some mental gymnastics you're going through there. I bet you think you'll need to submit a fecal sample i order to start your car soon too, huh?
Why does it seem so unrealistic to you, considering what they are already doing?

>he buys cars made after 2006
what an idiot
90s and early 2000s are better anyway

Isuzu Mitsubishi Civics

It's unrealistic because there's no fucking way you can expect a car not to start or function because it can't get an internet connection. Jesus fucking Christ, stop being so autistic.

Attached: 1510611299202.gif (200x293, 1.75M)

>It's unrealistic because there's no fucking way you can expect a car not to start or function because it can't get an internet connection. Jesus fucking Christ, stop being so autistic.
So naive and innocent. What a marvelous specimen.

Attached: 1508665792717.jpg (1218x1015, 212K)

They already were. I heard on an episode of Level1News last year that all new cars have either onstar or siriusxm hardware in them, and they track you even if you're not paying for a subscription to either service.

Are you familiar with the Intel Management Engine?

I suppose his point is that modern cars are essentially computers with wheels, and there's already precedent with Intel CPUs not working without ME.

Just get an used motorcycles, you homo boy.

*sip*

A couple of years ago I would have said the same about juicers.

>an used motorcycles

Attached: 1528792752658.png (645x773, 19K)

Oh, yeah, I forgot the part where my computer gets bricked if I don't connect it to the internet. Thanks Intel.

I never said remove the electronics, just cut the aerial. How can you think around a problem like that? Use those two brain cells to come up with a solution

Attached: 1524603291708.gif (446x250, 724K)

>Oh, yeah, I forgot the part where my computer gets bricked if I don't connect it to the internet. Thanks Intel.
It's more like if you remove the management engine (which connects to the internet) your computer will shutdown every 30 minutes or so, iirc.

>Use those two brain cells to come up with a solution
I'm not the other guy you were talking to, FYI, I just think it's weird that you're not concerned about this.

Let's say it all goes south and you stick to using old cars, like the ThinkPad with Libreboot scenario. Some things may start requiring cars made after a certain year. I know you need a new-ish car to be an Uber driver. It might affect insurance prices as well. I wouldn't be surprised if laws were put in place requiring new cars for pollution reasons. Electric cars are sure to be more non-free than regular cars, too. If regular cars are banned, we may be totally screwed.

There are already cases of cars that share one computer for running the stereo, the electronic ignition, the steering, etc. If you fuck with something they don't want you to, they could remotely brick your car for sure. Hopefully there'll be a car homebrew community to fight against this.

>mod car
>go to jail or have your license revoked permanently
EZ PZ.

>Lets say...

Stopped right there
Both of you are fucking brainlets, there's no hope for you. Hopefully your key will break in the lock and lock you in your house, your lack of reasoning will result in you dying of starvation. Enjoy your shitty thread.

Attached: 1531094119453.gif (380x285, 1.97M)

I don't even own a car, and why are you afraid of hypothetical scenarios?

>I'm unable to argue about anything that requires a hypothetical premise.
You're the brainlet.

Can't even tune my car or use premium gas or i wont pass inspection or emissions

>the virgin botnet car
>the chad FOSS bus

Was at a auto class and a dude was talking about obd3 being like a tracking device. If you flash the ecu, it will send a signal and the emissions people will come to you. It sound pretty scary

Auto is closely related to "safety" especially "public safety" which is the magic word that can give the government unlimited public support to fuck you up.

I work for a large auto manufacturer, specifically on a project focused on collecting data from our commercial fleet customers' vehicles. I exclusively drive vehicles manufactured before the year 2000.

>Drive across the country
>Inevitably drive through a patch without service
>End up stuck in the middle of Western Kansas

Or how about this:
>Terrorist attack takes out internet connection in major city

Or maybe:
>Someone just perfoms a ddos attack on the car authentication server

Or even:
>Radio jammer immobilizes cars

isn't this what guns are for?
the people should stop being weak and revlolt

>old cars rusted to hell because of rust
>no choice but new cars
i tried being a car enthusiast but couldn't since i don't live in a perma-summer place

haven't there been Teslas remote disabled recently? they're always connected to remote servers.

In euroland electrical windowlifters or whatever they are called are an extra.

Just like, drive a 240 wagon for all your daily needs and if you want some car fun get a jap car.

my mazda has all this telemetry shit as well.

>Twingo built from scratch.
The original one is so barebone mechanical you don't even have to build it from scratch

Attached: 1447388705074.jpg (619x345, 32K)

A vehicle ecu is independent of every computer in it. Which are all horribly glorified radios. Besides the really complicated ignition system most ecus don't give a fuck if you strip everything out and will run the engine.

I was thinking 90-00s cars though but I get it, maybe yota's new 86 doesn't have much shit upon.

>2016
>chevrolet
>parts only at dealer
Are you drunk? Or did you buy a Traverse/Cruze? The trucks can be completely obliterated and revived.

cute feet

Uhm sweeties

Attached: oldest botnet.jpg (1200x660, 77K)

More feet?

>feet thread

I am almost certain that that is exactly what's gonna happen in the future. Just like you couldn't use the last Xbox without an internet connection. Yes they removed that because people were complaining but sooner or later I think pretty much everything is gonna require an internet connection.

projection

You have to go back.

*lick*

good thing I have an old car

Attached: 200d.jpg (700x465, 57K)

Attached: 01-L-Fa-LEAD-940x627.jpg (940x627, 159K)

Classic cars turn heads easily.
Men's heads.

How's the rust?

miata w/ turbo

You think it's bad now? Wait until the push and calls for self driving cars gets stronger and louder. It's only going to get worse and worse from this point on.

Good thing Big Gov can ban them if they deem them too polluting or too "terrorist-friendly"!

I'm not gonna post a real pic but I take very good care of the car, it was a gift from my father and it still runs just fine with >300000 km

> miata w/ turbo
That'd be the Elitebook 2570p with a quad core in it.

Just like my cats, yet there it is sitting in my garage with no cats.

>mandatory for every new car to have an internet-connected device that sends location
it's outright Orwellian

Attached: 2320685.jpg (300x300, 10K)

No miatas are very relaible
hps are terrible

Their business stuff is good, and first-gen Miatas are rust dispensers, so don't generalize.

5G ubiquitous connectivity
soda.swedishict.se/5933/1/T2015_08.pdf

Modern cars with self driving technology will need constant access to the internet in order to update maps, be alerted to hazards, receive ride sharing calls, etc. This is absolutely where we are headed

>A vehicle ecu is independent of every computer in it
Not on all cars

Can't you just block the management engine?

Same with the car. We're still not to the point where internet is universally present. Car makers won't sell any cars if they refuse to start back up when someone drives into the mountains. Car manufacturers don't want to be responsible for a lawsuit if their infotainment throws a temper tantrum in a snowstorm and the owners freeze to death because the engine won't come back on. At worst, you'll need to wrap something in a cage/tinfoil or damage the actual transmitter.

Police will definitely lobby for the last one, and can be spun to consumers as "making your car safer from theft"

Attached: goil.jpg (930x620, 71K)

Why don't you try earning it, kid?
I worked part-time all summer to buy my first new convertible
Man, that was a great car

You gonna disconnect the blackbox too? Oops, your airbag just went off.
Never take it in for service maybe?
Here for a tune up? Nice logs, let's upload them to mothership really fast.

A Lada or Zhiguli

>A sane vehicle's ecu is independent of every other computer in it
fixed

>all new cars bought on credit or leased through this one company have either onstar or siriusxm hardware in them so when fuckwits miss a payment the cops can book them and the repo guy gets a gps destination

Old Mercedes

But modern convertibles are botnet, that's the point.
I could very well afford a modern car, but I take telemetry seriously.

This is not a bad thing, men need to make bigger social networks, the advantages are way bigger than the homophobia most American males have about contacts.

What guns? :^)

W124 master race. I own the 93 300E with the 3.2 liter motor.

A botnet is not something that just collects data. You people are retarded and somehow have turned a word that had real meaning into a joke. It's like a bunch of tech incompetent retards who only care about consumerism and gets their tech from mainstream news. You retards wouldn't know a real botnet if it hit you in your face. I doubt any of you even grew up in the era of IRC when botnets were a big thing.

Attached: file.png (1200x842, 1.75M)

It's a meme you fucking autist, do you also go around telling people that kleenex is actually just a brand of tissue and not technically it's own thing

>being this new

cars know where you are. who the fuck cares!
it's not like you live in nevada and visit brothels

Attached: BOMB_DEC_2015.VOZ48.04.jpg (579x1374, 351K)