/spg/ - Smartphone General

Essential Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: IMG_0781.jpg (780x585, 103K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/B078SQ7GWK
samsung.com/us/mobile/phones/galaxy-s/galaxy-s8-64gb--t-mobile--arctic-silver-sm-g950uzsatmb/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I hate samsungs curved screens. Seems like cheating the consumer on the screen size with screen they cant use

Attached: log13.jpg (400x310, 27K)

It adds unnecessary fragility and glare.

Just ordered the essential phone used. Do you think there are any downsides to this like it being more likely to be slow? The seller said it was in very good condition. I'll do a factory reset if it's not already been done. My main concern is that it could be slow after their use. I could cancel my order and get a new one for 30$ more.

doubt it will be slower but I'd personally cancel it and get the new one since it's only a difference of 30

Your main concern should be battery. If they were a heavy user your battery will be shit

For 30 dollars more of course

DEAL ALERT:
Essential Phone for $279.99
>SD835
>4GB RAM, 128GB storage
>official Android Pie update available
amazon.com/gp/product/B078SQ7GWK

T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S8 $350
samsung.com/us/mobile/phones/galaxy-s/galaxy-s8-64gb--t-mobile--arctic-silver-sm-g950uzsatmb/

Damn, I posted in the old thread.
Less than two years apart, and the things I liked the most about Xiaomi have changed. What phone is today's equivalent to the Redmi 3S?

These screen shapes are pants are cancer.

Attached: retard-shape screen.png (724x310, 151K)

What is this phone ?

>can't use
I use the edge screen all the time, and it's still fully visible if I look at it from the right angle.

>but i've heard the screen tint is pretty bad
Not sure where you heard that from, I test drove one for a few days and it's AMOLED screen is amazing, on the other hand the G6's SuperIPS screen suffers burn in which is rediculous for an IPS panel

Ive fucked around with my dads s8 and my roommates s9 and it bothered me. I have no idea how you use the corners as well it cuts off some images or sites your on

Redmi note 5

>used phone with un-removable battery

done goofed

>used phone with un-removable battery
>done goofed
You are stuck with 2014. hardware or LG devices which will inevitably bootloop.

Anyone pick up the lg stylo 4? How does it manage with only 2gb of ram?

if you're referring to the MetroPCS model from what I've heard it's pretty damn good, too bad LG won't release unlock codes for it

i bought the p20 pro and i really like it. but its too big and too heavy to use with one hand. i thought about buying one of these things, what do you think ?

Attached: phone-grips-overlaid-closeup.jpg (1600x1200, 445K)

if you're looking at MetroPCS phones, consider the Alcatel 7 also, shit is getting decent reviews and that Helio P23 is stronger than the SD 450

How's your android p?
>oh u have samsung never mind

Attached: Screenshot_20180819-200231.png (1312x2560, 1.54M)

The Essential phone is abandonware at this stage. The owners are bust

Attached: selfie1.jpg (764x1024, 103K)

>as fast updates as pixels have
>abandonware

On ES file explorer it says 15gb is being used by "other" when I use space analyser, as I went through my internal space directory I couldn't find anything that added up to that size or even close to it
Any ideas?

For the OP6, is the 4GB model sufficient for non-gamers, or should I fork out for 6GB?

>needing more than 2gb ram on a phone

Worst case scenario, they sell off and become yet another chinese brand.
That's not bad at all for an extremely high end device for like what $300?

2gb sucks

I mean if it was just $30 more, cancel and buy new you fucking idiot.
The reason people buy used is to save $150+, not just 30 buckaroos.

Rate homescreen Jow Forumsuys

Attached: 1528647880279.jpg (640x1136, 92K)

what's your display size/font size setup?

I ALMOST traded in my iPhone 7 to get the Note 9. But then I realized that even with the $ for the iPhone it's still $600 and I could buy a decent laptop for that. Fuck phones being priced over $350. I'm gonna use my brain and not fall for the marketing tricks. They nearly got me though.

Large font and small display size

Attached: Screenshot_20180819-204543.png (1312x2560, 148K)

wtf is that picture lol

Got this beast for $400. R8

Attached: IMG_20180819_104502687.jpg (4032x3024, 2.53M)

>640x1136
Cute.

W I D E

how geese are your hands, you swine

>That notch
I hate this trend

Attached: 1534600524045.png (511x515, 29K)

Lmao this phone is thicc as fuck but the size is just too fucking perfect
Because it comes with a pre-installed screen protector that is a fingerprint magnet but only an autistic cunt like you could care.

Attached: IMG_20180818_115341263~2.jpg (3024x4032, 3.05M)

better get used to it friend, it's not going away anytime soon

essential phone was the first notch, and it's by far the most minimal.

Source?

I want to buy Oppo phones in USA. Some of them support bands 2 and 4, which is good enough for me. What do?

>Source
are you a fucking retard? every new phone coming out has some version or variation of the notch, the Vivo and Oppo phones that don't, along with the Huawei's and Moto's are outliers

Did you count in Android itself? It could also be (and most likely is) app cache/backups. Messaging apps like Whatsapp like to store shit locally from past profile pictures to videos you've sent and received, so it can quickly add up.

want to get a new phone, what should i get? the below are in Canadian dollars

Pixel 2 XL for $410 ($1400 on Google's website). will probably be maximum of a hundred dollars cheaper when Pixel 3 is released (not a significant amount for me)
S9+ for $810
OP6 (8GB RAM), $770

i've read a few bad things about the pixel 2 xl build quality (blue screen), and recent software slowdowns

Current phone is an S5, and i like the build quality of it. Curved screen on the s9+ seems completely unnecessary though

>16gb internal storage, only 8gb available
>32gb, only 20gb available
>64gb, only 30gb available
>128gb, only 32gb available
Why is this allowed?

the pixel 2 XL will require a hard credit check for me too. another reason why i'm not entirely for it

my credit's good, but i just got a hard credit check a week or two ago

Should I give in and buy a phone without a headphone jack?

Attached: 1515363960542.png (936x1000, 225K)

do you use your headphones a lot? I've been using wireless ones for a couple of years now so the jack is not something I need but if your favourite headphones are wired just get something like an LG phone with a good dac

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but is there a way to rip the recovery or boot.img from android without root or the update.zip?

You mean flash a new one on the phone, or rip the existing one from your phone to the PC?

You seriously can't buy it outright

Anyone know any phones that DON'T have 2.5D glass? I need a phone that can actually use a screen protector. Thanks in advance

Attached: Screenshot_201808191117211.png (1440x1676, 1.73M)

What's a good price for a used Nexus 6 in good condition?

If you charge your device while listening to music on it, no.
Otherwise if you don't do both at the same time or you have wireless headset, yes.

What phone is it?

Cieneguita, Limón?

Any other oppo fags here? It's like the chink iPhone but lots of Aussies love em I own pic related

Attached: images(21).jpg (554x554, 20K)

Should I even care about LTE bands if my chinese phone has HSPA compatibility in my country?

i mean isn't 3.5G enough speed on its own?

I'm an S8+ owner, but I've recently come to dislike Samsung. It's easy enough to disable their notifications trying to advertise the S9 and note 9 to me, but the fact that Samsung thinks it's okay leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I've thought about going to stock android, but I feel that I'd have a hard time getting used to it as Samsung experience/touchwiz is generally more full-featured.

What should I expect if I choose to go to iPhone? I'm already somewhat invested in the Apple ecosystem with a MacBook Pro, but I'm still a bit hesitant about switching to an OS that's much more walled garden than android. I'm going to wait until the 2018 iPhones come out to make a final decision, of course.

>What should I expect if I choose to go to iPhone?
Even less features than even stock Android.

R11 and up are goat
>very stable fork of Android called colour os the downside is that it doesn't get updates very fast
>FANTASTIC build quality
>3.5" micro sd or dual sim
Mines almost 2 years old and aged great

>but I feel that I'd have a hard time getting used to it as Samsung experience/touchwiz is generally more full-featured.
I went from the Samsung UI to MIUI recently when I switched phones, and besides the app drawer I can't think of a single thing I miss from the former. You'll get used to it.

Oneplus 6 yes or no?

Holy shit, Pie is smooth as fuck on a Moto G3

Seconding MIUI. It's far from perfect, but it is the only heavy interface modification I could see myself using, tons of neat features.
Put Nova launcher on MIUI and you can have app drawer in any style you want, among other features. No adverse effect on performance as well.

You're already invested in a walled garden on MBP, why would having an iphone be an issue for you? If anything you'll just have better continuity.

I've mostly adapted to categorizing apps into different home screens, but I'll keep this in mind, thanks!

>Nova
>Not Evie
IDIOT

Hey, it just werkz, all I need it for is to hide everything and gestures so I can go full autism with KLWP

>are you a fucking retard
Way to not be taken seriously.
>every new phone coming out has some version or variation of the notch
Every phone? You're full shit.

>I've thought about going to stock android
You can only think about it, since the S8 has very little to no custom ROM support. Only thing you get are debloated TouchWiz builds.

>a bit hesitant about switching to an OS that's much more walled garden than android
Android walled garden?
You didn't research this enough, it's only your fault. It's even worse if you have a device with a locked bootloader.

Full of*

How much is it? I'm pretty sure you could get a phone with 3gb RAM at a similar price.

>OP6
>4GB model
no such thing

>my iPhone 7
>not fall for the marketing tricks
>they nearly got me
They already did

Imagine being thi s girl. Taking a selfie thinking gosh I look so swell batman. But she does not look swell, not at all, she is a living meme the poster child of mediocrity. She should not be taking selfies at all she should be meeting a man settling down and having children so she can be happy despite her meager looks. But she's not, she dyed her hair blue, took shitty selfies and continues to deny her purpose in life. To be a pure child bearing mother. Also anyone else mad at Sony for not giving the xperia xz2compact a headphone jack. Its fucking bullshit sony can suck dick.

Attached: download (10).jpg (194x408, 10K)

Did you even open the image?

My bad, meant 6 or 8

Lads i can get the note9 for 60% of the price, should i do it
i'm still on note 4 and the new non removable battery makes me seethe

Buy 100 of then and sell them at 90%

Want an actual upgrade from my old Samsung Galaxy S5

>Carrier
Boost Mobile - Uses sprint towers
Shit, but everywhere I go has wifi and coverage isn't actually that bad.
Plus the $30 a month for unlimited talk/text and 5gb of data is enough for me.

>County
United States - Tennessee to be exact

>Budget
$400 or less preferably

>Size
Don't care

>Wanted features
Just be better than the S5...

- - - - -

My current phone can barely hold a charge for a few hours.
Never makes it through the work day
If the screen's brightness is low? The screen flickers like crazy and I see a lot of green/yellow tones.
So long as it's better and compatible with the boost network? I'll consider it.

Help me out Jow Forums!

Attached: Warframe0000.jpg (3440x1440, 1.5M)

this, this is a good post

iPhone SE

Microwave radiation is real and dose pose some carcinogenic risk.

"A second large study has found tumors in the Schwann cells —schwannomas— in the hearts of male rats exposed to cell phone radiation.

The new finding comes from the Ramazzini Institute in Bologna, Italy.

The NTP found schwannomas in many other organs, in addition to the heart, of rats chronically exposed to cell phone radiation. These included a variety of glands (pituitary, salivary and thymus), the trigeminal nerve and the eye. The NTP notes that the combined incidence of schwannoma in all organs was “generally higher” in the GSM-exposed male rats, but it was not “significantly different” from the unexposed controls. Still, the rate doubled at 3 W/Kg, the mid-exposure level, and was even higher at 6 W/Kg (Table A-2)."

>Evie
>Not using KISS
RETARD

Good thing I'm not a rat

I'm asking this here because the custom ROM general isn't up, I'm trying to flash stock ROM to a Galaxy On5 to unbrick it but the Odin has failed over 50 times, I've tried two different ROM downloads, different Odin versions, everything. The only thing I haven't tried yet is redownloading the first stock ROM as the one I currently have may be corrupted.

I really don't know, help a newfag out.

Guess I can't edit my post to say nothing by Apple huh?

Well saying it now.

No apple stuff. Not a fan.

Just get an op6

Yes

the s8 is temping.

meant to type tempting

s9 here, this is ny recent apps screen

Attached: Screenshot_20180819-221610_END.jpg (1440x2960, 764K)

any suggestions?

huh? i need to activate a new account with a carrier, and that always requires a credit check

but the phone is still $410+taxes, all-in

what phone has
headphone jack
wireless charging
support for lineageOS
(bonus) SD card slot