Is development slowing down a ton?

Imagine using a 1990 PC in 2000.
Now compare this to using a 2008 PC in 2018.

Attached: 1532211758365.png (1095x780, 2.01M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/IuLxX07isNg?t=41s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Okay done. What now?

youtu.be/IuLxX07isNg?t=41s

This guy is comparing the wrong things, it terms of form factor and usability we've hit a point where progress is very slow. Think of how airliners changed dramatically until the 707 in 1958 and since then nothing much has changed at least on the outside.

Attached: 20095_1491141722.jpg (1200x819, 504K)

you can still use PC from 2008 to browse the internet

but you couldnt use computer from 2000 in the year 2010 to browse the internet

2008 was 10 years ago
2000 was 10 years ago in the year 2010

so this is fair comparison

Attached: flanders finger up.png (442x341, 182K)

we agree then
(haven't atched the video in like a year)
Ii had to solve like 40 captcas
FUCKING HELL

Yes.

Because traditional lithography has reached the end of the road.
And the only alternative (euv lithography) is an engineering nightmare and over a decade behind of schedule.

its not that development slowed down, its that we have enough power to do normal tasks without slowing down.

mix in a bit of bloat and if a company debloats the program runs significantly faster.

dual core is all a normal person needs

gamers need at least 6 cores so their cpus aren't at 100% and stutter gets introduced, but this has been true since haswell/ivy, but only affordable since zen

I have plenty of 2008 PC's in use.
Core 2 duo is okay for a lot of desk work

No. Its only slowed down during AMD's failings with Bulldozer and Intel's monopoly and stagnation that followed. Right now, AMD is revolutionizing the CPU process once more and Intel is trying to drag its feet.

Okay, but why you need extra power?
I mean for the vast majority of users, ie desk jocking, a core 2 duo or basic i3 is fine. Even with move services migrating to cloud you need even less local processing power

Yep we are hitting Moores law fast.
It's been nothing but demishing returns since the late 00s and we literally haven't progressed past 2013.
So what do devs and publishers focus on INSTEAD OF GOOD GAME PLAY PHSYICS AND INTERACTIVITY? MUH GRAPHICS (FACIAL MEME TECH) AND FUCKING ANIMATION
Literally a dark age for pc and console gaming with most of the evolope being pushed by ps4 movie games like until dawn Detroit become human on the graphics side of things while everything else like game play suffers.
Vr and the control it allows could be amazing but we are still stuck with low resolution narrow fov wired dogshit instead of 4-8k
And the problems with hardware stagnation go deeper still with pc monitor tech literally going unchanged since the mid 00s instead just using the same blurry washed out ips tn shit instead of blue oled or x led with burn in solved.
Now that the mining boom has shifted away from consumer gpus and memory prices are stabilising we will finally see some progress.
Sadly nvidia rtx is useless for anything but tech demo's on the pc gaming side of things.
You know what I found has stagnated the worst though? Ai!
All these memes about deep learning and crazy gpu powered shit and game devs do nothing but actively make their ai dumber so average normal faggots can feel like they are getting better at games.
Hell F. E. A. R. a 2005 pc game has 1000x better ai than anything released in a fps since
>Inb4 dur it's scripted
Ofc it is but in modded coop maps they are still very clever I've yet to see a game before or after with ai that good

what kind of spider dog is that

We just need hardware companies to adopt the atom sized transistor that was developed recently in labs. Or we use quantum computing in clever ways to speed up tasks we do right now. Theoretically we could just use a quantum computer to for example physically simulate games instead of using models of real life.

Is it just me or does it seem like you are anti-Intel but pro-AMD?

I use a 2006 PC and it works just fine.
Dont see what this thread is about.

>intel does nothing and only releases small incremental updates for years
>lol ur just anti-intel XDDDDDD

Attached: 1502378770727.jpg (600x637, 43K)

>Is development slowing down a ton?
Yes. It's not really a surprise though, is it? The earth has existed for 6,000 years and electricity hasn't even been commonplace for 100 years. Development wasn't very fast before this era, and there's no reason to believe it will be after.

Attached: 1533973713400.jpg (342x400, 114K)

The fastest Core 2 ever made was the Core 2 Extreme X9775, which was priced at $1800 when it was released. Its passmark score is 4,646.

An i3-6100T, which currently sells for about $140, has a passmark score of 4,848. It's a low-power model.

The Core 2 Duo E7600, which was priced at $150 when it was released, has a passmark score of 1,978.

Conclusions:
Any normal Core 2 is significantly slower than an i3, even a low-power i3.
Development may have slowed down, but there's still a massive difference between what we have today, and what we had 10-15 years ago.

(You) tried

Attached: 1500301230500.jpg (1280x720, 340K)

Last year saw the doubling of core count and 50% increase for Intel. This year or the coming year will see an additional 50%.

This sort of revolutionary changes to CPU hasn't happened since AMD died down and Intel stagnated.

>hello shareholders, we want to continue investing tons of money in a market where we have already reached a share of >80%

Companies are controlled by money.

having to wait for things to load is not fine
using more than 3% cpu to render Jow Forums is not fine either
not being able to load 4k 60fps is not fine
I can't even imagine the nightmare you're living in, it must be hard having less than 80iq and being dirt poor while it's easy to make money in 2018.

There's a massive difference between what we had 2 years ago and what we have today and will have tomorrow. But year comparison of 4 years ago and 2 years ago won't yeild that much. Or 2 years ago and 6 years ago. Due to the stagnation period from lack of competition.

I dont have to wait for shit to load, its snappy enough for me. I had a laptop from 2013 that was slower than this bad boy. 4k is a meme and I dont want it.

I sold my laptop for $200 and bought a $40 referb xp machine, put arch on it, and its almost the best pc I've ever had. I dont play gaemz or do video editing so I dont really need new hardware. My pentium4 ht can compile code well enough and I use this for work and entertainment.

Bullshit. I can use a 90s system on Linux to browse the web just fine. Don't be a pleb.

>Is development slowing down a ton?
Once China finish ramping up we'll get $100 top of the line computers.

Attached: 1530009249471.png (382x402, 248K)

>Pentium 4 HT
Holy kek, I've recieved free laptops better than your shit machine. If that's among your best, I pity you son.

That break down in 6 months.

>Taiwan
>china
Good spy

>implying graphics are as good as they'll ever get
>implying battery life doesn't need to be extended
son. do u understand how development takes place? One pathway:
1. New hardware supports new software
2. New software demands better hardware
3. New hardware supports new software
This process is not difficult to understand.

Like I said, it does what I need it to do. Nothing more, nothing less. I cant justify spending money on something I don't need, and specially not for something I'll never benefit from. In the future I might rebuild my core2duo machine, as it was my best pc to date. Even had a graphics card. And was free cause I took it when I moved out of my parents house.

The best kind of spider dog