Why is Java so popular?

Why is Java so popular?

Attached: Jteqd.png (519x396, 89K)

Other urls found in this thread:

techempower.com/benchmarks/#section=data-r16&hw=ph&test=query
stackoverflow.com/questions/41859151/why-was-node-js-written-in-the-c-c-programming-language
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

marketing + inertia

lagdroid

Why is RedHat so popular?

fpbp

Dunno, man. For a while there, Java was everything. They even tried to get it to run in the browser through incredibly insecure “applets”, or whatever they were called. Nowadays I can’t think of anything that uses it other than Android apps

It's basically replaced cobol as the defacto business programming language. It only took 50 years for that to happen so don't expect Java to go away

>3 Billion Devices Run Java

Heh, make that 999999999 whilst I uninstall...

> 3 000 000 000 devices run java
> only lists thirteen
Where's the rest?

State language of India.

Because it was free. Now that it'll require licensing in 2019 for commercial use I expect it will lose substantial market share.

India's population

OpenJDK is GPL2 with classpath exception
It's free
Forever

Best language if you want to write
Web server + database applications
Android applications
Which is pretty much everything nowadays
The only time Java is a drag is when you need USB, webcam, or something of that sort

Javascript and Python work better for writing server and db apps.

Minecraft

>script babby's first shitpost
JVM assimilated you this year
Didn't hear about GraalVM?
It's faster than the interpreter you're using now
Server side Python and Javascript are Java now
If you aren't using JVM in 2018, you look like an idiot

see JDBC and Vert.x for rebuttal

Attached: 1_XGTOfo9taLfePZvL3-FZhg.png (1200x1100, 62K)

Attached: 1_Yd-QYZ-FHmCdfn_C5jifTA.png (1200x1100, 63K)

>Web server + database applications
No
>Android applications
sadly
Java is absolute trash for anything desktop and infrastructure related
It used to be good for making web servers; but they lost their way and have utterly been destroyed by rails, python, node, etc.

It just werks, it werks everywhere, it werks for everything and it's retard proof.

Attached: 1_gG6xyHvZI_5BOtSzCzqMWA.png (1200x1100, 62K)

What's this DJAGO thing?
Something new?

Attached: 1__9rO0-ijuA033mFVyg4xmw.png (1200x1100, 59K)

Surely a higher requests ps is bad right?

No, higher is good. Means it can handle more traffic per second.

No one cares about raw perf anymore. Especially when in the cloud environment. There is more value in rapid deployment (such as with node) than with installing a fat ass runtime environment such as Java just to run a web app.

Those images show node runs as fast as spring, sometimes faster. Considering how easy it is to create app servers using node, it clearly is a superior choice.

I personally cant stand node; but would gladly choose that over java. I've been an admin for Tomcat/JBoss as well as MEAN stacks. Both have their shit that always comes back down to the dev; but node is a million times easier to work with. But, even if node was 10x slower than java I still wouldnt care because scaling out is what we do these days; good luck doing that with java shit.

>They even tried to get it to run in the browser through incredibly insecure “applets”, or whatever they were called.

bruh do you even know your history at all ? Java was the first real attempt to have interactivity from a web browser. Javascript was built as a response to Java.

Look up expressjs and try making a small server. It's crazy as hell how you can make and run a server in 6 lines.

Yep, I've used it.

lol, spring...
>Let's intentionally choose the worst framework in Java to win the argument!
techempower.com/benchmarks/#section=data-r16&hw=ph&test=query
vert.x is 35% faster than the next closest competitor
It's not even a competition at this point

>Jscript response to java
You fucking retarded you don't have any idea. The first one to implement it was Netscape, it was a hot turd mess. Ie came shortly after and without js. It has nothing to do with java except the name.

Anyway I really hate java with passion, it's not just the countless bad jvms, the ugly insecure applets used to crticial thinks like certificates, I really hate how java demands everything to have a fucking factory. Java don't like the concept of properties, Java is prolix and demand a lot for shitty work.

A lot of things use java as language glue because it's readily available but it doesn't mean java syntax is any good

lol, node
>32 cores, only using 1
Java scales vertically and horizontally
Vert.x can launch a static file server in just a few lines in main
You did Tomcat and JBoss and expected greatness?
This isn't Java's fault

Google runs on Java

>paying a license fee for Java

Mate, stop using Oracle JVM.

t. someone who never got into distributed systems.

Java is king when it comes to running corporate America.

It's simply the best programming language currently. I have high hopes for it being surpassed by Scala but that's still a long way off.

hmmm who should I believe about the history of java and javascript. well documented sources or some belligerent code monkey with a bone to pick.

If Java sucks so bad for desktop what else do you use for multi-platform applications ? As far as I know nothing else exists like what you can do with Swing and JavaFX.

Qt and many other native GUI toolkits/frameworks that have native look and feel, their own markup language and low memory usage

Every single Intel CPU since about a decade ago ships with a JVM kek

QT is basically the only thing comparable. For anything else you are essentially writing a different program for every target platform.

because it's slow and bloated?

Because the engineers at Intel decided to? I never gave or implied a reason, I was just answering the OP question

wut

idk about you but a nice cup of coffee really helps me kick start my day.

Java is king in cooperate because it's so rigid and structured so bugs are minimized.

integrate perfectly with other Oracle products

Wtf user, how many devices do you have?

>marketing
>familiar C-like syntax
>relatively simple, consistent albeit rigid language
>true portability thanks to the JVM
>popularized itself as a pure OO language when OOP was taking off
Gee, no wonder. I'm not a fan of Java myself, but It's pretty clear how it got so popular.

what does even use java anymore

honestly dude I dream of using java at work. The hotspot optimizer is static compiler optimization look like shit. That its all jvm and I can decouple it from the os and system toolchain would be a dream.

marketing + india

I bet node JS is 99% C Invokes.

Lel I just googled it.

>stackoverflow.com/questions/41859151/why-was-node-js-written-in-the-c-c-programming-language
What's the point in pushing Javashit is a universal platform when you write everything serious then in C/C++? At Java and C# try to do everything themselvs and mostly use a HAL.

Sun did a reasonably good job with it.

No idea what the fuck Oracle is doing.
Doesn't look promising. And them going after Google for them essentially using Java in Android makes the whole thing even worse.
That's win-win. Why would you sue someone over that?
That potential short-term profit (that didn't manifest) is completely outweighed by the long-term profits by simply not saying anything, and reaping the results.