Water Cooling

Is Water Cooling a meme?

Attached: wl58nv2.jpg (1536x2048, 687K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IYTJfLyo_vE
coolinglab.jp/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=973
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Don't know I always used Air coolers. I really don't like water moving.

In the context you probably mean, yes.
Consider it if your hobby is wasting time and money for no reason

Water cooling only makes sense on small builds (like mini ITX). For anything else an air cooler performs the same or better and isn't a liability

I use fridge cooling

Attached: IMG_5463.jpg (900x1200, 128K)

not if it is semen

Based and MacPilled

Attached: apple.png (580x288, 151K)

>cooling hard drives

Attached: >mfw.jpg (344x344, 16K)

get on my level

Attached: gr456.jpg (2448x1836, 445K)

You don't overclock your hard drives?

Doesnt that short circuit the motherboard?

Attached: 1534200442063.png (1000x861, 279K)

No you don't

fridges have a really, really shitty sustained cooling load, most of them can barely cool 100 watts continuously, and that applies to full sized fridges, let alone a minifridge. If you dump enough heat into a fridge you also notice a very poor duty cycle, so enjoy your 30/120 load/recover times.

it's oil

It's a non conductive oil. Actually pretty clever, but expensive to upkeep. Basically kind of a rich-person showoff project.

Fun fact: the oil is usually used as a horse laxative, so the original creator of the image had to buy industrial amounts of horse laxative with a straight face.

It's oil, and is nearly impossible to clean up once the parts are soaked into it

If you want to cool something crazy like SLI Titan Vs and dual Xeons then no, it is not a meme and is basically necessary.
If you have a gaming machine then yeah its a meme, a meme that can leak all over your system and destroy thousands of dollars worth of hardware.
Personally for me it isn't worth the risk. I just get the beefiest air cooler that will fit in the case and call it a day.

the normies are already onto the linux
we must adopt fish tank cooling
2019 will be the year of the fish tank cooling

Attached: ftank.jpg (872x656, 186K)

>horse laxative
It could have been transformer oil. Or just asking 3M or some other supplier about dielectric oil.

how can g even compete

Attached: compete.jpg (630x450, 44K)

are you sure? because just a quick googling found me 100-200 watt of power usage, which would lead to about 1kw of cooling power which could definitely be comfortable depending on how quickly the PC dissipates heat to the fridge internals.
most house fridge probably fall a bit short, but it sounds like we don't have to go professional to find the right one.

i think you also have to make sure your specific brand of oil doesn't corrode too much any plastic/rubber/adhesive anywhere on the motherboard.
i think capacitors should be fine, but they do have some plastic pieces that could be troublesome if you use the wrong oil.
oil also evaporates so you must use a well sealed tank.
i suppose you may want at least 1 fan spinning inside to move oil around because heatsinks alone might not be enough.
and connections and cables running out of it are tricky because oil can run through normal wires, even against gravity, if it's not a properly made wire.

and all of that doesn't save you from cooling. you gotta have a big ass heatsink cooling the oil somehow or the system will fry after few hours.
perhaps a metal bin would be better to passively cool the oil, but a transparent one will definitely need help.

All you said is stupidly wrong!!!

Please never post again!

youtube.com/watch?v=IYTJfLyo_vE

On GPU's no, on CPU's yes. Air coolers for CPU's are fine, but liquid cooling makes quite a difference in temps / overclocking results on a GPU.

Is that silicone oil? I work in a lab where we cool samples to ~-50C by pumping liquid nitrogen through a bath of silicone. That would be an interesting way to cool something, but rather expensive. Do you have a liquid nitrogen tank in your bedroom?

Watercooling provides better thermal stability than air cooling, even under heavy loads with high voltage overclocks. It only makes sense for extreme overclocking.

Yes. Everything in life is actually a meme.

It is. These days GPUs are voltage locked. Shunt mods exist, but only retards and extreme overclockers do them (they don't have problems if their cards die after some months).

Get an AIO instead, its easier and even cheaper.

Attached: DSC_0014.jpg (3840x2160, 1.93M)

of all watercooling solutions, AIOs are the worst. Pump failures abound, copper plates mixed with aluminum rads, 'special' coolant to combat metal mixing corrosion that eventually clogs up your unserviceable waterblock fins. depending on use you're looking at replacing your failed pumps every three years. Either get a 140mm dual tower noctua, or employ a remote pump/rad system so you don't have to listen to your liang d5 hum.

TL;DR all forms of watercooling are a meme- Get a good noctua and buy the next adapter bracket for when you migrate it to the latest and greatest cpu.

/thread

Ultimately all it does is cool your computer with less air movement.
It also lets you move the fan around so you can draw air through the case rather than cycle the same air.

Attached: radiator.png (976x616, 185K)

it is a meme just like windows on cases

heat pipes the orange things in modern heat syncs are more efficient that water. the only reason to use water is if you want to put your "fins" in a unconventional space. unless you want to use a chilling system and risk condensation which basically no one who does watercooling does its actually the same performance even with a massive radiator. or like 3/4 2x120mm radiators.

it made sense in the 2000s because heat pipes where so expensive then and not used. around the time of core2duo when heatpipe coolers started to show up it stopped being viable. some argue its better because it puts less weight on the CPU or GPU or what ever. and this might be true. if you carry your computer to lans heaps etc. but not one does that these days.

heat pipes are full of gass inside them that transfers heat better than water (FYI) if your wondering how a copper tube can be > water. there are also vapor chamber coolers but they are basically just cheap versions of heat pipes that things like the xbox one x use etc. if more vaperchamber coolers existed for use in mini-itx builds then there would literally be no reason to use watercooling unless you where cooling it with LN2 or some sort of industrial chiller equipment. and you wouldn't be able to keep a system like that running for more than 12hours with out defrosting and removing condensation.

fanless is the way to go

The new ones are better. Corsair gives 5 years warranty. Just make sure you lower the RPM with the software not voltage, because this destroys the pump.

I wanted a custom loop for long, but now I know I'll never go SLI because its shit and as stated, cards are locked. Of course I talk about a real loop including hardlines, not a shitty cheapened out watercooling setup.

Its possible to get inaudible with AIO and lots of fans. A massive external radiator is only necessary if you want to cool a big setup (32C HEDT @OC + 2x GPU) silently.

Don't heat pipes slowly die. I've had multiple laptops become unusable due to overheating.

Did the problem persist after repasting the die?

i hate the idea of those ginormous 1kg+ air coolers hanging 90 degrees from the mobo more than i do the fear that o-ringed compression seals might fail

Your feelings are irrelevant. It's anecdotal but how many forum posts have you read about leaking WC setups versus snapped motherboard PCBs from massive heatpipes? The good ones have sturdy brackets.

Granted, a motherboard that's been twisted and torqued by a fat cooler could manifest problems that wouldn't be readily apparent from a forum troubleshooting thread: Say that somehow a ram trace cracked from flexing, or something desoldered/cracked from maybe a hard case drop.

Just look at intel/amd HEDT mounts- they're beefy even from the factory.

Attached: supahmikulo.jpg (678x508, 73K)

>and all of that doesn't save you from cooling. you gotta have a big ass heatsink cooling the oil somehow or the system will fry after few hours.
>play some vidya
>cook some chips in the meantime
It's the dream lads

i dont go on forums. and being a mechanical engineer i cant help but think about this shit

could apply the same anecdotal remarks with regards to shitty leaking wc setups vs properly installed ones with quality parts

Run a support wire to the top of the case to take most of the load off the base support.
>Don't heat pipes slowly die.
No they are sealed units, almost all on the consumer market are under a slight vacuum to make the water which is used as the cooling medium boil at lower temps. If they had a leak you would lose all cooling transport as the vacuum was lost.

They might get unstuck, but laptops are a fucking terrible at cooling. Manufacturers cheap out on the cooling to try and keep mass low. This causes almost every laptop to slowly overheat during constant use. This also in turn kills batteries.

The pumps suck for watercooling. The specs are nowhere accurate even with no resistance.

Put the D5 in a wooden box with foam or submerge it in oil in the box. Only water in the loop going in out through tubing and you shouldn't hear anything.

You can get a copper car radiator for about the same price as a 480mm copper radiator and it'll outperform it by 20x.

Don't bother using an AIO with 700 watts even if you're able to bench it. The AIO pump will die quickly as you approach 60C liquid.

Not possible to get inaudible if you keep adding in fans.

The difference between 47dB and 50dB is 2x.

10^4.7 vs 10^5.0 = 50%

50118 vs 100000

what happened to phase change cooling? i remember that was a thing maybe 15 years ago

Phase change cooling increases your power bill significantly for the performance. Although your voltage requirements will go down slightly, you're still putting in way more power into your home.

It reaches 40° on my system. My whole system can consume 500 W maximum, though the average 4K load is ~350 W.
This doesn't make sense, the logic is simple, more fans = less RPM needed for the same performance. The noise doesn't multiply with multiple fans.

If you had 9 fans at 30dB each, you'd get 39.5dB though

10^ ( log 9 x 10^3 ) or 10^ ( log 9000 ) = 10^3.95 = 39.5dB

If only they used distilled water instead of coolant in AIOs.

there is a lot of youtube videos of people attempting fridge cooling and why it doesn't work.

It's actually a nice thing for an overclocking enthusiast, the other question why it's so unreliable nowadays?
A friend of mine got his custom setup back in athlon XP era and that thing still going. Well yeah some tubes are heavily discolorated but there's no leaks. And any modern AIO will leak after a 3-4 years of moderate use.

Surely You fridge is going to burn out because it need to constantly work because you're constantly pumping heat in to.

It's mineral oil, it's a dielectric you boommer troollllll

Put the display in there/ behind the tank

Just no, just no.

3m's engineering fluids aren't oils, bot that's something made predominantly for immersion server cooling.

The only real advantage of water cooling for most people is not having a huge chunk of metal hanging off the motherboard. That has never given me any issues though. AIOs are pointless because they barely cool any better than air coolers, they're noisier, and they are more likely to break.

Custom water loops are just a way of showing you have too much cash. They're only necessary if you want that last 100-200 MHz from your chip, which will make zero noticeable difference in any consumer scenario.

Oh it's the Intel Napalm Lake stock cooler again.

it's because a lot of companies got into supplying parts because water cooling got more popular not because their business had an expertise in it. therefore there is a lot of quality control issues.

I've been using a Thermaltake 3.0 Ultimate for six years in a damn near 24/7 365 capacity and haven't had any issues yet.

A bigger fan requires less RPM to move the same amount of air.
Also you can add as many fans as you want however if you set the flow in some retarded way you're still not going to get peak performance.
One example placing as intake the fans at the top of the case: instead of aiding warm air escape from its natural path you're hindering it.

OP, how did you get a sneak peak of Intel's next CPU demo?

Some people might want that extra 100-200mhz. In the case of the 7980XE and the 2990WX, you'd get 400-500mhz difference between a gigantic loop vs a AIO.

Ur a troglodyte.

All other cooling systems besides air cooling bring more cons than pros over air cooling.

Use a big ass copper heatsink and big fans (not so many because turbulence and shit, sometimes less fans cool better, also try different paths) like a Noctua one, and forget about troubles (also brings quietness for your peace of mind).

>lower temperatures until liquid has heated up (20-50 minutes depending)
>no annoying as fuck giant air cooler that touches/overlaps RAM slots and is a pain to work around
>better temperatures in hot countries
>looks cool
That's about it, you're not going to get amazing temperatures unless you are cooling the fluid below air temperature (and in that case it becomes a real pain in the ass to do). It also costs more, a good air cooler will run you $50, a comparable water cooling solution will cost over twice that.

That reminds me, what's the best place to get custom loop components? I don't care for super high end stuff with LEDs and other shit, I just want decent reliable stuff that won't cost me a fortune.

Attached: 1564578.jpg (229x250, 8K)

This would work if you dumped the heat outside of the fridge.

Buy a horizontal case if you're worried about bending load on the pcb. However those motherfuckers are pretty tough and if you used every possible screw to secure it to the case there shouldn't be that much bending.

Yeah but its a really fun meme to build.

Attached: 20180808_170811.jpg (2560x1440, 1.59M)

It probably would work if they stuck it in the freezer of a normal full size fridge, with thermostat tweaked to keep it near fridge temps, since the thermodynamics of heat pumps is such that they move about 3 to 5 times the heat than their wattage, when pushing against a temperature gradient of 40 to 20 degrees or so: Since 500 watts of air conditioning easily cancels out the effect of running 1500 watts of appliances, a fridge ought to have the oomph for most gayming rigs.

You have a point about having 2 pounds of metal cantilevered off a flimsy micro ATX board with a 105 watt CPU levered into it. It seems likely to me that it's something people neglect to think about when moving. And much as I would like to build something little and semi-portable, it isn't practical unless I stick to either a low thermal CPU or find some sort of liquid cooling almost as reliable as air cooling.

not really to overclock a 10series you need to do heaps of soldering and rewireing to get past the anti overclocking stuff nvidia put on 1080s n stuff on 9sereis you just need to flash the bios.

if your going to watercool a 10series nvidia card you basically need to spend 3 years at a technical school learning how to micro solder. or pay some one 500$ to do it for you which makes no sense so just get SLI. 2080 will be the same. 980ti/titanXM are best GPUs for overclocking still unless you wana spend huge amount of money shipping your card to get volt modded and oc bypassed/unlocked.

buy why would water cool a piece of shit

>that cable management
Also the water cooling setup cost more than the PC itself, didn't it?

All chink parts, I was a hot topic over on /csg/ for awhile. Its been running well for over a week or two now. I don't really have a use for it though.
Literally just a fun project.

Cost me around 50 euros for all the parts.

What if I want a silent GPU?

resellers always put bs specs up

>The power of Leenux so good you need to watercooling your system to run screenfetch

which is, surprisingly, what a fridge does

Idk what you two are on about but it was a fun project for 50 euros.

If you check the manufacturer's site vs the reseller's info, you'll get two totally different values.

coolinglab.jp/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=973

The site is selling a model from a reseller.

>mfw

Attached: aqua_block.jpg (980x800, 172K)

I've had a Corsair H80 on an overclocked 3770k for 6 years now without issue

AIOs are shit because you cant change the fluid and the ones going shit do have galvanic corrosion from cheap materials or loose seals.
This either eats through the metal or clogs the cooler.
Custom loops usually have G43 additive, this kills everything alive and prevents corrosion. Ontop they get "frequent" water changes

Copper is already deadly. Why do you need special biocide additives?

never thought about this before
well still good and cheap to prevent corrosion.
i had a used part custom loop for a year before quitting the meme. I don't see how anyone can enjoy working on that

Only worth it on high end workstations/servers/supercomputers with space/heat density constraints.

>Water directly from hot-ass CPU to a blazing hot GPU.
How the fuck does this work?

>hot ass cpu
lel..it's a FX 8350
also
>implying my loop doesn't go rad->gpu->cpu->res
wew

The super computer with the Tesla V100s uses liquid cooling loops

So with custom loop you either choose
>cool the cpu and fry the gpu
>cool the gpu and fry the cpu
What kind of shitty setup is that? Do people deliberately buy water pumps so weak that cannot slip the deliver into multiple path?

>im on g
i cant really tell you beeing retarded or baiting
pump flow averages water temperature.
Temperature before and after GPU is likely delta >3°C

do you think cars cant have more than one piston because as soon as the coolant goes past one cylinder wall its too blazing hot to do anything else?

Attached: sensible_chuckle.gif (250x250, 993K)

>fry the fpu/cpu
0/10

That idiot should use an heat exchanger to avoid contamination