Chromebook

I have two old chromebooks. I want to turn one of them into into a lightweight linux machine. Is crouton the best way to do this? They both only have 16gb of storage.

Attached: serveimage.jpg (2400x1801, 333K)

The best way is to flash Seabios and then install linux from there

t. posting from a thinkpad x131e chromebook running debian

Are only certain models compatible?
I have an asus cp201p and an hp 11 g4

I'm curious as well. Is this exclusive to x86 devices?

Also whats the advantage over crouton?

No dude GalliumOS is way better. It has custom built drivers to make the switch from chromebooks smoother and less buggy. Also get custom firmware. The real question you have to ask however is do you want to dualboot or do a full replacement.

Every chromebook is compatible I'm pretty sure
John Lewis' website has a chart which shows compatibility among chromebooks and which way to flash them with his script.
Crouton is outdated and kind of stupid. You're always going to have ChromeOs running in the background if you use Crouton. With Seabios, my thinkpad chromebook has just become a full fledged Debian laptop.

i used Gallium OS before switching to debian. I liked it a lot too but Debian was just more appealing to me

Just use Crostini.

Since these chromebooks are pretty underpowered, would it make sense to go with gallium since its optimized for them?
Also what do you guys use these for?

I mean I guess but as long as you stick with a lightweight distro like debian, arch, xubuntu (which Gallium is based on), you really don't notice a difference. Gallium just has the extra bonus of having some plugins like making the function keys function as they would in ChromeOs and recognizing some hardware other distros don't

I use mine as my school laptop. I got it because it was small and tough and take it with me to Uni for notes, word processing, etc. Other than that it's just a shitposting and ricing machine.

Aren't chromebook linux by default? What exactly is the point of installing a whole new one?

Because most chromebooks can't use package managers and are pretty limited in the software you can utilize with them. Also chromeos is a fucking ungodly ram hog.

email, Jow Forums, browsing, and emacs

Is it possible to play basic games from the Ubuntu Software Store if you have an ARM based machine?

I'm not sure desu neither of my chromebooks are ARM based so I haven't tried it myself :(
I think it'd be worth giving it a try though

Nevermind, according to the GalliumOs website, it isn't even compatible with anything that isn't botnet intel.

Why note just use chromeos then?

You could probably find a lightweight distro with arm support tho

No emacs in chromeos retard

But you could easily replace it with gapps. I was just wondering what made you switch. Im assuming the botnet

new chromebooks have crostini which can install emacs

Attached: DaCQIEoXcAEX896.jpg (2048x1395, 585K)

yeah i know but that's not the majority. neither of my chromebooks are supported