Should I switch to LXDE from GNOME?

im running ubuntu on 4gb of ram and a sandy bridge i3, should i save resources and use lxde or suck it up with gnome?

Attached: lxde-openboxconfigurationmanager.png (700x524, 225K)

xfce4

Attached: Agalloch.jpg (1000x1055, 289K)

yeah you should simply because gnome is full of bugs

arc-dark for gtk2 and arc-darker for gtk3
thank me later

>tfw I use Lubuntu 18.04.1 on a laptop with an i7, GTX 1050, and 16gb of ram
someday you'll learn speed is more attractive than any compositor animation

Attached: the_autism_paradox_by_phracker-dc21ixv.png (685x1214, 625K)

You should switch to just about anything from Gnome.
t. Happy kde user

lxde is fine but use another window manager with it, like xfwm4 or i3. openbox is a bitch.
consider using another panel, like lxqt-panel or tint2.
for that matter, if you go with xfwm, try xfce-panel because you dont get much better than whisker menu.

you could also try lxle which offers a vanilla lxde with a few bells and whistles that make it much better than the default lubuntu

XFCE seems one of the most mature and "it at least werkz" but it is not as "smooth and fast" and as low on memory than LXDE is

XFCE HOWEVER LOOKS PRETTY BAD AND CANNOT BE CUSTOMIZED, AT LEAST THE FONTS CANNOT

LXDE is crap. Xfce works well enough on your machine.
If you are so worried about resources, just comfigure a WM instead of using a crap DE.

Cinnamon is the best of both worlds. Lightweight but doesn't autismally screech "learn how we do things here", and despite all of this maintains any expected functionality. It's the best experience without needing to learn anything new, nothing at all.

Also not a buggy bloated piece of shit like KDE.

I had an IBM T60 which had 2GB of RAM and an Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 / 2 GHz

I was running Lubuntu 16.04 (basically ubuntu with lxde) and it worked surprisingly well. The only time I had even a remote problem was if I opened a youtube video, two facebook tabs and emacs with a bunch of extensions on it. I also upgraded to 18.04 when that came out and it ran perfectly fine.

I also had a Toshiba Satelite with 4gb of RAM and an i5 (2530m or 2520m) which ran Debian 8 with Cinnamon for a long time and it was perectly fine, but the minute I installed gnome it was like half the system resources were being used by an invisible force.
I had the same thing happen on a Thinkpad T420 with 4GB of ram and a i5 2520m, Gnome ran like shit regardless of OS, I had to upgrade to 8GB just because of how much it pissed me off

Yeah definitely try out LXDE, it's very minimalistic and you can get it to look like windows 95 so it makes you computer feel faster than it actually is.

People here are saying that XFCE is also good. I've personally never tried it but I'm sure there's some truth to that. Or not. Anyway I'd try out both and just pick the one that works best

see there are no decent themes, but the fonts can be customized, what are you talking about?

you have no idea what you're talking about
in such cases it's best to keep quiet

>LXDE is crap.
nou

>The only time I had even a remote problem was if I opened a youtube video, two facebook tabs and emacs with a bunch of extensions on it.
that may be an ubuntu thing, my pc worked surprisingly worse than i knew

As I stated earlier, LXDE worked well on a laptop from 2006 with ubuntu 18.04.

You should try either XFCE or LXDE to see which one you like more

You could also try out cinnamon, I used it on Debian and thought it was pretty good.

KDE Plasma works really well on Gentoo because of how optimized it is but I wouldn't bother getting Gnome unless you're planing on making your desktop OS X themed like how I did

Attached: Workspace 1_078.png (1920x1080, 1.78M)

Switch to KDE. Unlike Gnome, you can actually configure things.

Most DE's let you disable animations.
Well, Gnome might not, because it doesn't let you configure anything.

Use whatever comes with the utils/etc you want then install i3 / awesome etc

This is also a good option, i3 is great for customization and its lack of extreme overhead, paired with the fact that the controls for moving and altering windows is very related to vim and both share the ideology that you shouldnt have to take your hand off the keyboard

you can configure most of gnome using gnome tweaks and gnome extensions. You can disable animations too

even from the config file you could change it
???

>Should I switch to (*) from GNOME?
Yes.