Which do you prefer?

Which do you prefer?

Attached: taskbar.png (365x80, 16K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QsjJmvANWn8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I prefer Linux

I like having more info provided. Lets you know which folder or program you're clicking on beforehand if you have a lot open.

Bottom takes up so much less space

Linux DEs have taskbars too

Windows 7, fuck off.

The first. If I have more than 1 window of a given app, a single click gets me to it. Bottom/default way requires 2 clicks. Also, the top one wastes less screen space.

If you have a lot open, it's going to be so squashed that there's no useful info left. I've been fighting with the top style since Windows 95: the bottom style is one thing that Windows 10 actually does right.

> Bottom/default way requires 2 clicks.
No it doesn't. Just hover over the icon and click the correct pop-up.

top only cause i have an ultrawide

I have a 4k display so I can have a good number of things open and still be readable.

Neither

Attached: .png (932x721, 43K)

I prefer being patrician

Attached: livingdangerously.png (522x40, 13K)

>No it doesn't. Just hover over the icon and click the correct pop-up.
A hover is even slower than a click.

More pixels means very little. Unless your display is fuckhueg, your text is still going to have to be so small that it's only readable by ants before it makes a difference.

If you want the fastest option, you should be using the keyboard, anyway.

True that.

>If you have a lot open, it's going to be so squashed that there's no useful info left.
Don't really need so many that they get squashed for it to be useful. Programs could be maximized.

>Unless your display is fuckhueg, your text is still going to have to be so small that it's only readable by ants before it makes a difference.
Fuckhueg is the only way to go with 4K. What's the point in wasting GPU power rendering pixels you can't see?

The whole line of discussion was predicated on having a lot open, though:

See > if you have a lot open.

What is the point in eyecancer from sitting too a massive screen?

Since it's big you can sit a little further back to avoid reduce eyestrain. Meanwhile you get a lot more screen real estate to work with, which is a giant plus once you break the 1366x768cuck habit of maximizing fucking everything.

You'd have to sit so far back that either you can't reach your desk comfortably, or you wall-mount the monitor and pull the desk back from the wall, which wastes floor space.

You don't have to go that far away, silly.

You do for 4K to be worth it. There's no practical reason to go beyond 2560x1440 for a PC monitor.

win7 was the first to introduce this dummy

Um, no? I have a 27" 1440p monitor, and I certainly could do with more like 35" 4K. I just chose 1440p because I like higher framerates when I game. That and 35" 4K monitors cost a ton when I bought it.

Is there any taskbar free desktop these days where minimized programs are just icons floating in space?

Attached: win31xp.png (800x600, 164K)

35" is WAY too big for a monitor, even at 4K. Even 27" is arguably overkill. Probably wouldn't go past 24" myself.

I scale to 175%
It's very readable

Attached: Clipboard01.png (3840x643, 2.77M)

Xfce lets you do that

>35" is WAY too big for a monitor
Why do you think this?

What's the point of buying a monitor with a resolution so high that you have to scale to 175%, though?

Bottom.

A good linux DE has a taskbar that supports this. Not everyone is autistic and thinks it's cool to have a blank monitor

Because it takes up an entire fucking desk.

Sharper picture with a larger workspace.

>Sharper picture
Not if you're scaling everything to 175% it's not.

lol, yes it is. Have you ever used a 4k display in real life and not just looked at screenshots?

Yes. Have a 4K TV and I love it, but I'd never go for a 4K PC monitor.

Based and redpilled.

Attached: 1522799285144.jpg (3840x2160, 2.23M)

literally a desktop computer

I completely disagree. 4k monitors are great because your mostly viewing text which is crisper.

It's a desktop computer. The monitor can even be a couple feet back or wall mounted, which reduces eyestrain and means you can put paperwork on your desk.

>The monitor can even be a couple feet back or wall mounted
As I said, that wastes floor space.

Wow, a retard.

youtube.com/watch?v=QsjJmvANWn8

>mounting a flat thing on the wall wastes floor space

Attached: ok retard.jpg (720x597, 51K)

no, that's winblows users

Pulling the desk away from the wall far enough to get proper viewing distance means wasted space between the desk and the monitor.

Part of the idea was to add space between your eyes and the monitor to reduce eyestrain. You also get desk space you can do other things with when you aren't computing, or you can use your computer to display something while doing another thing on the desk. For instance, displaying a service manual while you disassemble a device.

The higher resolution means there's more pixels to go around. Increasing the scale to the same size as an equivalent 1080p monitor still looks cleaner because there's more pixels to display that image.

4K at 175% is still more space than 1080p, in addition to being 175% crisper.

Attached: Capture.png (374x40, 22K)

the latter style was cool when it was introduced in 7, and every linux distro was doing its best to imitate it, but the text style is infinitely more usable with fewer clicks, bigger click targets, faster, easier click (fitts law) and more information besides.

>all the faggots in this thread worrying about proper viewing distance from big screens to reduce eye strain

Eye strain is only a problem if you're a pussy. Monitors should occupy the maximum amount of visual range possible.

And to answer OP's question, I've got my taskbar vertical (so no program info, just hover for window preview) on the right side, and auto-hidden to keep it out of the way.

The Windows 7 one.

Attached: AeroShot.png (2560x35, 44K)

Well I actually tried several 27" 1440p monitors before settling with 27" 4K. I agree its a bit of an overkill, but Im just too used to the pixel density of my FullHD 15" laptop by now.

"icons only" on kde
so the bottom one but on lenux

Top one. The bottom is really confusing when you have multiple windows of the same program open.

Bottom but on this

Is that plan9?

Top one obviously

Attached: Captura.png (598x29, 9K)

It is from plan 9, but that screenshot was taken on my mac because i used plan9port

Attached: tb.jpg (60x323, 7K)

Jesus, you have zero taste

Install gentoo.

Attached: avg4chan.jpg (4000x3000, 3.29M)

Bottom

>linux doesn't have a task bar
You're retarded

>botnet droid
>t. Also apart of the botnet

Attached: Screenshot_20180820-134536.png (1080x1620, 1.33M)

By default Linux only has a minimal command line interface.

Attached: 1534726043193.jpg (1919x40, 20K)

Excellent bait, retard.

Top one, never combine. I often have several of the same program open (chromium, word, mpv, sumatrapdf, multiple IDE widows/text editors), and it's useful to know what I'm actually clicking on. I also use 7+ taskbar tweaker to remove the hover preview and prevent grouping, because I hate those features.

Attached: taskbar.png (1129x38, 8K)

Better question is whether to show a taskbar on all monitors or just the primary monitor