Motherboard form factors

What are the reasons for the humongous E-ATX?

Let's say I want:
* 1 CPU (Threadrypper)
* 1 GPU (Vega 64)
* 1 M.2 NVME SSD (any of them)
* 4 RAM sticks (32-64Gb total)

Would I be better off with mITX and some small tower instead of regular solutions?

Attached: 1bmrlyr5yv8z.jpg (492x483, 114K)

mITX does not exist
Small m is for micro, as in mATX
Its either Mini-ITX or ITX

Thanks. Guess I'm looking for a difference between (E)ATX and mATX then.

Bump.
Is "more ports" the only reason for a bigger board?

mITX is MiniITX
mATX is MicroATX
There is also MiniATX that gets confused with MiniITX but is slightly smaller

>What are the reasons for the humongous E-ATX?
THICC motherboards

Attached: MB6ACAS_171399_800x800.jpg (748x800, 272K)

Attached: motherboad_sizes.jpg (800x533, 414K)

pretty sure the cooler for that threadripper is bigger than this Mini-ITX

Did someone say skulltrail?

That's already a thing with regular ITX boards. The only thing not covered by NH-D14 on my board is the PCIE slot.

So, any help with initial question?
What am I losing besides the ports by choosing mATX over (E)ATX?

I'd totally go with m-atx if they had 8~10 sata ports, a single PCIE*16 and 4 ram slots, BUT NOPE AMD fucking limits them to full ATX and x370 boards.

Then there is Asus who fucking removed 2 sata ports going from the x370 to x470 Pro.

You forgot DTX which is ITX with two expansion slots.

Attached: DTX.jpg (500x302, 39K)

Thread ripper in that?
Jezus. It is like retarded bulldog on amphetamine.

nothing, the chipset determines the non-hardware features

you know this, why are you asking us? If some stupid fuck wants an eatx board with 7 x16 slots and 20 sata ports, power to them. Don't shit on them, they may have a use case, no matter how frivolous.

buy a SATA3 controller for your motherboard then, they have several that fit in x1 slots, even low profile cards.

>Don't shit on them,
Wasn't even trying. Just want to build a new PC next year and suddenly thought that I have no need for a full ATX so wanted to ask maybe there's something I don't know.
With mATX I have more case variety and if I want to go liquid it should also be better.
Thanks for the input.

there was an ITX standard a while back with the layout all the same, but the pcie slot was on top of the IO instead of underneath. it was still a standard sized board, but it wasn't quite btx either. made alot of sense for sff builds.

choose whatever case you want, but don't sacrifice too many features for your form factor or general aesthetic. You'll regret it, from my experience. like... buying a laptop.

the good thing about ATX is it's basically never going away, matx as a form factor is already starved for variety. There's literally one matx motherboard available that supports thunderbolt, for instance, and it's still got pci slots. the medium is not doing well. ITX and ATX are king right now for size-to-performance and ease-of-access.

Except a lot of the pcie slots either share lanes with the NVME or the Sata, fucking AMD.

Also the sata expansion cards are typically only 2 sata, or 2 sata + 2 esata but you can only choose 2.

>What are the reasons for the humongous E-ATX?
Generally people who build rigs with workstation processors also require more complex storage configurations, memory, additional PCIE devices, like two or more GPU's and possibly some capture device. People that don't use their computer for computing work tend to be fine without all that.

>don't use their computer for computing work
You literally need only CPU + RAM for most if not all statistical modelling.
What you described looks more like a Twitch streamer setup.

>don't use GPGPU for compute
Are we back in the early 2000's again?

e-atx is kind of dead now since there is no need anymore to build motherboards with 2 CPU slots because CPUs are now multicore and motherboard supporting 2 modern multicore CPUs would cost insanely much

E-atx is 1 cpu

The biggest problem with this motherboard is that it doesn't have an m2 slot for ssds

not always, for example this has the genuine e-atx form factor and it even fits some atx cases if there is enough extra space (the extra screws aren't even needed to support the board if all other screws are in use)

how do I can know this? because I had this board 10 years ago

Attached: asus k8ndl opteron board.jpg (778x600, 61K)

the thing next to the io is m.2, the biggest problem with your comment however is that the pic is an edit.

if asrock wanted to do a tr4 mini-itx board for real they'd do it with sodimms and even then i think those might need to be placed on the backside of the board as the space is really limited due to the big socket

Can I join the thread?

If I'm building a designated cad mini computer would a mini-stx with a m2 to pciex4 to pciex16 using bitcoin rises would be viable?

Mini-stx can be power brick powered rather than psu but also with a setup like this I could keep my graphic's card outside and unplug-able.

don't fall for the mini board meme unless you really need it
I got myself a mATX board and I'm regretting it, you don't get fan slots or m.2 slots

Attached: asrock.jpg (678x508, 88K)

>the thing next to the io is m.2,
I thought it was only for a wifi card since it would be weird and vertical