Two cursors

When I was a kid I always thought that connecting two mice to a pc would create a second cursor for the second mouse. I something like that actually possible?

Attached: zX8S6.jpg (1865x1577, 623K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UiLSiqyDf4Y
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Multi-pointer_X
chrome.googleblog.com/2012/03/new-way-to-multitask.html?m=1
twitter.com/AnonBabble

install gentoo

you could use two mice in some amiga games to play two player games

Would be cool yeah, unfortunately I think that pretty much all operating systems and software would have to be redesigned to an extent

Consider rewriting X11 in Rust and then it might be feasible.

Used to play lemmings with my neighbor that way

>Take USB mouse input
>Take xinput
>Map to second cursor

No fucking "OS redesign" required, the current shit you have installed on your computer can account for it.

>incredibly short sighted, non thought through """"""solution""""""
Amazing!

Obligatory
youtube.com/watch?v=UiLSiqyDf4Y

It's literally not that complicated, dude. Programs don't react to your mouse cursor's location, they react to events. The sub-cursor will fire the same events as the primary cursor.

Again, it's short sighted. A lot of programs rely on the fact that there's one instance of them running on the same display, some programs follow a single path of steps, that would make having two instances run side by side wouldn't work out.

This, is the same thing with a mouse and a touchscreen/tablet.

windows has rawinput, which lets user programs access mice, keyboards and other HID devices.
For example, MAME uses it for multiple mouse+keyboard support, so you can play multiplayer trackball and light gun games like marble madness.

if you want multi mouse/kb on the desktop interface, well, good luck convincing MS to ever support it..but hey, there was a time when windows didn't support multi monitor and sound

Attached: Marblemadnessscreenshot.png (288x240, 5K)

Wasn’t there a site that ran a virtual OS and people could go online and do whatever they wanted and all you’d see are different cursors on the screen?

This, and some programs are designed just on the premise that there's one cursor and wouldn't know what to do if there were multiple.

Are you guys retards? Show me a program that does not work with a touchscreen when a mouse is connected. It's a rarity, even FPS games usually register touchscreen input, you just need a phantom cursor to act as a touchscreen.

When you use the touch screen for clicking/tapping on things it moves the cursor there, it doesn't add a new temporary cursor there. Unless you mean scrolling which usually works without a cursor being present.

I think that it all comes down to compositor if you want to have more than one window in focus.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Multi-pointer_X

Settlers II had that option too.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 27K)

This actually worked with Chrome of the time (even though it was meant as a joke), probably using the HID devices directly and only worked inside the Chrome window.

HIRED GUNS

>selects text with cursor one
>selects text with cursor two
What happens? Does the text deselect and a new selection begins at cursor two, or do you have two selections, how would you distinguish the two then? Should you also have two clipboards for separate copy/pasting? And way more issues. And if you just say that you shouldn't have to keep all that stuff in mind, why even bother supporting multiple cursors?

you cant have two cursors. either one will override the other or it might flicker between both positions. it will register clicks from both mice so you can press the mous down on one mouse then release on the other to simulate a whole mouse click

Yes, but if OSes and programs would support it, how would it work. That user is saying "it just works" without even thinking about it. Personally I think a lot of things will have to be rewritten, if not, altered, with only a very niche group having advantages from it.

You could do 4 player co-op with two mice, a joystick and the keyboard. Hired Guns was my favourite game on the system.

rewrite X in minecraft instead

Google's Fuchsia actually does support this, it's pretty cool

And GUI have to support it too.
Currently only 1 window can be active in the mostly used OSs, that needs to be adjusted aswell.
Hate if something steals the focus.

done already
chrome.googleblog.com/2012/03/new-way-to-multitask.html?m=1

fuck they took down the page nevermind

>chrome.googleblog.com/2012/03/new-way-to-multitask.html?m=1
No they didn't. It works for me.