REACTOS IS SHIT

What is the purpose of ReactOs? Are they literally taking the linux api and wrapping it around their own custom os and rewriting the 30 years of work?
What the hell, it isn't even posix compatible. WHY THE FUCK WOULD ANYONE DO THIS?! JUST TO POINT AT THE SCREEN AND SHOUT "LOOK! I HAVE WINDOWS FOR FREE WITHOUT THAT FUCKING LINUX CRAP XDDDDDDD"?!
All you have to do is run fvwm95 on an ext4 linux system with wine and you have a better experience than in reactos!

Attached: reactosDevs.jpg (800x450, 44K)

>Are they literally taking the linux api and wrapping it around their own custom os and rewriting the 30 years of work?
no, it has nothing to do with linux at all

Why do you post a picture of yourself?

Tell me a single thing it can potentially do better than Linux with wine

Natively run all Windows application without a buffer layer, latency, or any inherent difficulty whatsoever.

>m-muh freetard monopoly! no!

run windows drivers
now go back to whatever gifted children website you came from

Wine translates windows api calls to *nix calls

>LINUX
>Having a monopoly on UNIX
GNU is not Unix.

By the time they manage that, we will be able to do that in Hurd

ReactOS has printer and audio support within a short amount of time. GNU Hurd doesn't even have sound. Try again sweetie. Dumb freetard.

sure, but reactos doesn't use wine, and it's not *nix-based

it's already done. what do you think react os is?
their driver model is literally a copy of windows.

I admit that it does have a purpose in legacy software. But Windows is inferior and by making a whole os that allows people to run windows programs, we will never get rid of it and its bad architecture.

If Windows put its resources into fixing its security and allowing proper root access it would be the single best operating system on planet earth, btfoing Linux easily.

But it isn't and it has layers of legacy code all the way to dos.

>But Windows is inferior and by making a whole os that allows people to run windows programs, we will never get rid of it and its bad architecture.
sure. we'll never get rid of it. so we can either let systems fail - potentially losing hundreds of millions of dollars in value and time, keep microsoft alive in perpetuity to maintain windows forever, pray to Saint IGNUcius that microsoft releases windows for free under a permissive FOSS license, or build a free foundation for "windows" systems for everyone. that's why react os exists. the devs also just love free software and preservation in general.

>reactos doesn't use wine
It heavily uses wine. It's basically WineOS.

ReactOS does use some wine components but it does so by compiling wine's runtime dll's as native windows dll's and using them with a reverse engineered NT kernel implementation. The syscall wrappers and X11 translation parts are not used.

Ok, fair point. I will try to run MinGW on it tonight. I might install it for my grandma one day.

it's uses a lot of wine /code/, but only the stuff that isn't related to running windows stuff on *nix systems

AFAIK wine depends on reactos codebase, not the other way.

It doesn't, it just uses some code from wine.
If you can't tell the difference please get out.

Dude... WINE came before that ReactOS bullshit.

>this lemonade doesn't use lemonade, it just uses lemons, sugar, and water.
t. russian brainlet

wine is comprised of a bunch of windows dll clones, special windows-incompatible interfacing components (like the stub 'kernel'), and *nix host software
reactos only uses the windows dll clones, since they're designed to be no different to the original dll's, so it makes sense to reuse those in reactos
all the stuff that makes wine /wine/, and not just some dll clones that aren't useful outside of windows otherwise isn't used in reactos, since reactos is a windows clone and only supports windows software

>using non free software
>2018

ReactOS is pretty much a pipe dream at this point because not only does it rely on reverse-engineering, the development is so slow that they're still reverse-engineering Windows XP and were only able to get notification bubbles working just this spring. It's been 20 years and they're still in alpha. It took 8 years for them to get from project start to first alpha release.

If you absolutely need to run Windows software, you're probably better off either dual-booting Linux and actual Windows or running Windows inside a VM.

>I don’t like this thing no one makes me use. How dare the developers have a hobby and share it

>I don't like someones argument. Let's completely miss the point and quote some stupid shit

The primiary uses would be to replace embedded Win9.x machines. Airports for one will likely appreciate that in the coming years.

>this alpha software is shit
Oh wow, surprised are you?

Yeah. After they literally stole the stable wine codebase and made it unstable

You have no idea what the point of the project is, obviously.

>stole
>free software

>made it unstable
reactos isn't just a copy pasta of wine, it's a clone of windows, right down to a compatible NT kernel
wine only takes care of some of the userspace components, the rest is all reactos, there's a huge gap between what wine does and what reactos does, despite sharing a lot of code

reactos isn't just some linux distro with wine installed, far, far from it
complaining that crysis runs better in wine on linux than reactos so reactos a shit is missing the point by a long shot

>What the hell, it isn't even posix compatible
There are already 10 of posix compatible operating systems. They're aiming for NT compatibility :)

Bawl your fucking eyes out you freetarded faggot piece of shit.