/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Create a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC
Search youtube for a build guide for your socket

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses; eg Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (eg photo editing, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)
>Don't use Speccy. Use HWinfo, SIV, etc.

CPUs
>R3 2200G - Bare minimum gaming(dGPU optional)
>R5 2400G - Consider IF on sale
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>i7-8700K - Best for 1080p gaming, but most expensive when factoring in delid, cooling, etc.
>R7 2700/X - Best high-end gaming/mixed usage on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

Motherboards
>For Intel, only Z300 series boards can utilize fast memory

RAM
>8GB - Enough for most gaming use
>16GB - Standard for heavy use
>32GB - If you have to ask, you don't need this
>CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2933MHz+ is ideal

Graphics cards
>Avoid cheap models ie MSI Armor (Mk2 is ok), Gigabyte G1/Wf, ASUS duals, and others which have small heatsinks and low quality fans
>Only consider AMD GPU if you plan on getting an upcoming HDR monitor
1080p
>RX 570/580 /w Freesync or 1060 6GB are standard 1080p 60fps+ options
>1050Ti or RX560 for lower settings, or older games
>GTX 1070Ti/Vega 56 if seeking higher fps & you have a CPU+monitor to match
1440p
>Vega 56 /w Freesync, 1070Ti if you already have Gsync
>GTX 1080Ti if seeking higher fps & you have a CPU+monitor to match
2160p(4K)
>2080Ti or upscale from 1440-1800p
OpenCL work
>Vega 64

Storage
>Backup before using StoreMi
>Consider getting a larger SSD (better GB/$) instead of small SSD & large HDD
>2TB HDDs are barely more $ than 1TB
>M.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard

Monitors
>Consider 75hz minimum; 60hz are mostly old models.
>Always consider FreeSync with AMD cards
>___sync is important for slower response time monitors (IPS)
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING

Previous

Attached: vivaldi_2018-08-20_12-50-37.png (510x199, 54K)

Other urls found in this thread:

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/yhFQcY
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/yhFQcY/by_merchant/
acer.com/ac/en/US/content/models/laptops/aspire7
reddit.com/r/hardwareswap/comments/96l9lc/usacth_i58600_gtx1080_16gb_ddr4_3000mhz_liquid/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

repostan
I think this is as good as it gets for me

PCPartPicker part list: uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/yhFQcY
Price breakdown by merchant: uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/yhFQcY/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor (£187.19 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI - B450 Gaming Plus ATX AM4 Motherboard (£93.90 @ More Computers)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£152.31 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£51.59 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For £0.00)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For £0.00)
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX 580 8GB NITRO+ Video Card (£295.79 @ Alza)
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£86.50 @ Kustom PCs)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£92.97 @ Amazon UK)
Monitor: AOC - Q3279VWF 31.5" 2560x1440 75Hz Monitor (£200.00)
Total: £1160.25
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-20 17:35 BST+0100

sorry for the spam but I don't want to waste £1200
what can I do with two different monitors btw?

>tfw I just wanted to play at 1440p/144hz at high-max settings
>tfw I fell for the Crossfire meme
AMD needs to get their shit together. There is no way I'm shelling out $1200 for a GPU for gaming. Are they getting rid of their Titan cards? Otherwise those shits will be $1500-2000.

>IT'S FUCKING NOTHING EDITION
Even worse than I thought and people kept screaming about how I was such a shill for them. Lmfao.
I was putting 2080Ti at $1000 and 2070 at $550.

The UE4 demo running on Turing also had far more artifacts than running on Volta. So much fucking noise.
Retards are actually going to buy this shit when it's going to be years and many generations between realtime raytracing in games is worth while.
This is just Nvidia's way to scam people into lowering development/server GPU costs and to increase their margins off the back of drooling brainlet gamers.

Where's the screencaps on how I'd be BTFO?
I had conservative, realistic predictions as usual that were far closer than the dumb Nvidia shills.

Even the new 2080Ti isn't going to reliably get you 1440p 144hz just like the 1080Ti doesn't always get you 144hz at 1080p.
It depends on the game. Lots of games are just shittily optimized.

Attached: turing.png (1320x543, 47K)

So now that the dust has settled and new gpus are retardedly overpriced it's safe to buy the old series right?

As I've been saying for weeks, despite the retarded samefag pretending to be multiple people saying otherwise, yes.

Best time to buy was when they were trying to clear stock to make way for the new cards.
Just like the best time to buy previously was when you could get $95-$115 RX470s as they were clearing stock for the RX500 series despite it being a small improvement.
Or you buy used ones as there will be people retarded enough to sell their better price:performance 1070/ti to buy these new overpriced shit cards.

Every time they laugh about
>haha screencapped this for when you're BTFO
and like always, I'm always right in my predictions and they never get to post their pathetic screencaps.

>1080Ti doesn't always get you 144hz at 1080p.
This. Faggots who keep on spouting "1080 is overkill for 1080p gaming" should shut the fuck up

>$1200 FOR A 2080TI
>$800 FOR A 2080

Attached: 1439073401085.jpg (437x392, 48K)

>Even the new 2080Ti isn't going to reliably get you 1440p 144hz just like the 1080Ti doesn't always get you 144hz at 1080p.
What about 120hz?

I mean it is overkill for 1080p, because no amount of hardware will get you 144fps at 1080p on some games.

You get way more for your money, with a better image quality and all, and make better use of the hardware, at 1440p.

But I think a 2080Ti at 1440p is pretty similar to a 1080 at 1080p. So it's not quite at the point of overkill for 1440p.
A bit more powerful GPU, even though it would do a bit better at 1440p, would be better suited to 4K because you run into what is somewhat diminishing returns.

Some games are locked to 60fps, but I think the 2080Ti should do a pretty good job most of the time at at least 120fps 1440p, yeah.
Even to the point that you could just get a Freesync(simply because it's free in newer models, even if you don't use it) 1440p IPS monitor, downclock it to 120hz, and probably have a good experience.

We still haven't exactly seen how good the raster performance in these cards are.
It could be 15% above the 1080Ti, or it could be 30%.
In games with async compute support the gains will be higher, as Nvidia FINALLY has async compute despite Huang spending 30 minutes acting like it was a brand new thing they invented.

Why the fuck does he keep saying that the 1080ti is the most powerful gpu right now? Even out of consumer cards we have Titan and Quadros

>$1200 for 2080ti
AHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH

The new PC I've built runs great so far, but my Ryzen 7 2700x, which is supposed to boost to 4.2 or 4.3 GHz, only ever boosts to 4.05 on every core at 1.35 volts. Did I just lose the silicon lottery, or is there another factor at play here? I should mention that the chip does run fairly warm at those speeds as well, so maybe the thermal paste needs to be reapplied. But 1.35 is the maximum normal voltage, yes? So why is that the voltage the chip is choosing to use to run much slower than it should be?

>Titan Xp is still going for $1200 on Nvidia's website.
They don't even know how to price their own shit.

>But 1.35 is the maximum normal voltage, yes?
1.4*

Will prices go up for 1080TI's now or keep going down?

Asus ROG STRIX Z370-H GAMING
Intel 8600K
Cryorig H7 for cooling
16GB DDR4 3200mHz, dont know what yet.
Already got 1060 6gb and planning to add one 500gb ssd too.
Go for the i5 8600k or amd?

why are my msi 470 m7 ac lights going off after a while?
and its just some on the side, the other ones stay on

Ah, I see. That being said, it still almost never goes above 1.35
And even if it does, it's only when a single core clocks above 4.05, but it's often only to 4.1 or 4.125
Is the 4.3 max boost actually a 4.3 max boost (per core?)

welp fuck the 2080s for at least another year or two
1080 Ti it is for me

so will the price for the 1080ti drop now that the super richfags will flock to the 2080?

brainlet here, idk anything
Does all of this mean that in addition to better performance, I will be getting prettier lights and shadows? Or will that be something I can turn on in some games

>Does all of this mean that in addition to better performance, I will be getting prettier lights and shadows?
Yes, as soon as the actual devs apply this tech to their games and assuming you have the tech to run it. This will probably turn out like Hairworks where it'll be technology that's Nvidia only that otherwise can't be used if you're not running the 2000 series. Or AMD missed a big chance to mention their cards can do this as well.

about to order these parts (ausfalia prices)

am i getting memed by going amd? i've only ever been using intel ever since i got into gaming. ill be going 1080p with potentially 1440p, hence the 1070ti. ok to stick with the stock ryzen cooler?

i mostly play WoW, pubg, dota 2, csgo. i use a 2nd monitor that i watch netflix/youtube on so i suppose multitasking is important. will this build suffice? i could downgrade to a 1060 6gb to save some dosh

Attached: peecee.jpg (1166x625, 82K)

What's the word on mechanical HDDs these days? I need something for bulk photo/video storage, but which is fast enough to edit directly from and to record game footage directly to. SSDs are still a bit too expensive for the capacity I need (and yes, I already have smaller SSDs for OS and program installs, this will just be for storage and maybe a few games where performance isn't a big issue).

I've gotta wonder if they set those prices based on what 10x0 cards were going for during the crypto bubble. Wouldn't be surprised if they come down quite a bit after a few months on the market.

pls respond ;_;

I have a buddy with an older AMD FX chip, and he's getting almost identical framerates to me with my Ryzen in every game we play together (Fortnite, Hearts of Iron IV, Garry's Mod, Civ VI, all CPU-intensive games at the same graphical settings)

I'm getting a 2600x
B450 Tomahawk or X470 Gayming Plus?
I'm not looking to spend more than 120 bongs on a board and MSI look to be the best value

$1200 is fucking insanity for the product they're providing good god

I don't want better graphics, I just want better performance.

Like I predicted: After this reveal, it's going to be
>wait for 7nm GPUs
still.

GI, variable shadow softness, etc, real-time reflections, is all doable on current-gen GPUs.
Nvidia will be paying devs to gimp them to be RTX only, is the only thing that's happening here.

They don't even care.
Anyone with a brain looking at a Titan Xp would be better suited by Vega unless they're absolutely locked to CUDA.

They know idiots will buy them anyway because it's a Titan.

Probably staying the same. The new GPUs are even worse price:performance than the current ones. It's even worse than my prediction of a 0% price:performance change, which the dumb samefag was calling me a shill for, it's actually a regression.

I love how knowing the tech and manufacturing industry makes someone a shill.
It reminds me of retards who call shit fake news when someone smarter than them tries to explain something to their tiny brain.

Can you get the b450M Mortar or the Tomahawk instead? They're better.
And are there not cheaper SSD, PSU, or RAM options?
You're paying almost as much for RAM as CPU. Or is that B-die? I guess if it's B-die, that looks about right.

You're GPU bottlenecked, no?

Tomahawk is all you really need. Or I prefer the Mortar. It's the same thing but smaller.

The prices have jumped up $50 from last week.
I wouldn't expect them to drop anymore for a while. Of course I'm just talking out my ass.

What's the cheapest you can get a good gayman pc?

>mortar
would be nice for a smaller system but I like my full ATX, thanks anyway.
Guess I'll get the tomahawk, the x470 for 10 pounds more doesn't offer anything more, really.

edg27 or Mbest koreanshit monitor or s2417dg

So I'm looking for a high performance laptop.

>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build

Up to $2000.

>List your uses; eg Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work

Linux programming, multimedia and light gaming with emulators. I use a lot of virtual machines too. Depending on the hardware I might play more recent games too but it's not strictly necessary. Emulators I want to try using: snes9x, mednafen, dolphin, pcsx2, desmume, ppsspp.

>CPUs

I suppose a great processor would be essential. It's been nearly a decade since I last built a computer so I haven't kept up with the models.

>Motherboards

Not much choice here due to the nature of laptop, but hopefully it will be something whose RAM and storage I can easily upgrade at least.

>RAM

As much as possible, please.

I use RAM file systems constantly during my software builds. Also would like to run virtual machines alongside other programs without any impact.

>Graphics cards

Whatever comes with the laptop. If it comes with some cool nvidia card, then great. It's not a deal breaker, though...

>Storage

Hard drives as opposed to SSDs. As big as possible. Ideally 2 TB or more.

I've looked at lenovos but I've been reading about some spyware scandal around them. Not sure if they're trustworthy. People suggested acer; I found these:

acer.com/ac/en/US/content/models/laptops/aspire7

I also looked at Purism laptops and they're seriously amazing and almost exactly what I want, except they use SSDs and large storage options completely obliterared my budget. Maybe one day after I get a good job...

>Starting at $499.
Either Jensen is wrong or the website is.

2600X obviously. More threads for the money and neglible difference in single core compared to the multithreaded and smoothness.

Only Intel CPUs worth considering is the i5-8400 and the 9700k. And even the i5-8400 is often a questionable choice unless you live somewhere where it's much cheaper than the 2600X.

Looks like AIB cards MSRP is $100-$200 cheaper, but in reality they won't end up being that.

How often should I replace my PSU? I've had mine for about 5 years and I wonder if these things degrade much over time working for like 8 hours a day

Attached: Still dumb.png (1199x548, 584K)

Site price is founder editions. Pascal launch had more expensive founder edition for some inexplicable reason as well.

But the reality was that AIB cards were generally around the founders edition price or higher for a while

I have a 1080 ti. He has a 1070. We're both playing at 1080p, so I doubt it.

why is jensen so bad at presentations lads?
also usual navi when post

reddit.com/r/hardwareswap/comments/96l9lc/usacth_i58600_gtx1080_16gb_ddr4_3000mhz_liquid/
Would you buy this, /pcbg/?

so price to performance is way better for SLI 1080Ti compared to 2080 Ti right?

The biggest performance is to raytracing applications, there maybe a small uplift to actual gaming performance.
They wouldn't give actual fucking numbers and insisted on their RTX OPs pixie dust shit.

FUCK FUCK FUCK
I wonder how euromerchants will find a way to sell the RTX 2070 for 500 fucking euros. I hate overpaying for shit.

CUDACORES

PEDOFLOPS

RAIDTRACING

Attached: dekodekodekodekodekodekodekodekodekodekodekodess.jpg (3000x3000, 1.51M)

Please help not not end with a 700+ USD paperweight.

Today I'm replacing my dead mobo with a brand new one and I want to use this oportunity to take appart every single screw there is to be taken appart in my case and clean everything.

What's the best way to do it? All the tutorials I've found are basic "unplugg stuff and then plug it back", I already know compresed air is a must but there might be other things I can do like there should be some non-conductive oil that I can use to clean my components or something, right?

Also What's a good way to protect my components when unplugged? I'm specially worried about the proccessor, should I just put my stuff on the table or what's a good surface to place them on?

Attached: koolhackerz.jpg (980x490, 147K)

You kept going on about how cheap they were going to be for weeks.
You are an AMD shill you faggot

no you could make that for cheaper

>My motherboard was supposed to come in stock this week
>Status has been changed from "Available in 6-11 days" to "coming soon"
I gambled on something that wasn't in stock yet and lost, guess I'm going to have to pay tax on it after all.

There is no more reason to add AMD GPUs on the OP

Fuck off AMD shills

>bought a 1060 in the past couple months
>not only is the 2060 off but will now confirmed be minimal gains outside of raytracing
feels good

Are you sure about that?

rare

actually that's a big ??????? until benchmarks

Lmao? The fuck are you talking about.
I said $550-$600 for the 2070 and $650-$700 for the 2080.

I love how when your
>MUH SCREENCAPS
fail and you have nothing to post you just make things up.

You can't be this delusional and retarded.
Performance of these new cards is so bad that they only showed tech demos and no perofrmance.
The 2070 OC is going to be +/- the 1080 OC, which it costs the same as.
2080 around that of the 1080Ti, and it also costs the fucking same.

I think you must just be trolling and baiting.

As I said for weeks.
2060 is likely holding off until 7nm.

>There is no more reason to add AMD GPUs on the OP
FE cards are prohibitively expensive for what looks to be just a lighting improvement. If you're running 1080p there's no reason to buy any of the 20 series cards and like said, they never gave us any actual performance numbers. Just "it just werks".

How the fuck can you justify this? No benchmarks being released is also a massive red flag. What a letdown. Sticking with my 1080 for a while it seems.

Attached: wat.png (1255x1032, 294K)

All the games they showed were laggin like hell with rtx on. And tech demos was static.

It's hairworks all over again, need generations before this thing will start working.

Attached: 15346064828810.jpg (518x547, 80K)

is the 1060 still good?

How is it a red flag? It's still a month away until they ship. Benchmarks will come

Repostan

So, is there a big difference between the 1060 and 1070, is it worth the price?
I used to own a 1070, sold it when prices high, and now looking to buy a 10 series card again since idc about new cards. I *think* I can get away with a 1060 for 1080p gaming, but I might be temped to get a 1070 depending on price. How much should I spend for one, pre-owned?

MSI b450 gaming pro carbon?
only a tad bit more expensive than the other MSI b450s and features bluetooth and USB C, which I like

Because for every other GPU launch they put actual benchmarks into the slides. Even with the usual trickery, they gave you a good, well, benchmark at how well the card will perform. Can only suppose that there's a

they not going to dip, if anything prices will go up because of how underwhelming new cards were, and because of production stop for 1xxx series

I just got the RTX 2080.
What will be my hardest bottleneck?

Attached: Speccy64_2018-08-20_20-27-39.png (467x137, 10K)

software support

grey matter

stop changing your name, it gets annoying having to filter you every time.

good board, best vrms out of all b450s, cant go wrong.

>4 cores

Attached: 1516033251124.png (915x678, 386K)

literally everything, slow DDR3 will hold you back so much.

how's the damage control in the AMD headquarters?

a chink in the filter safe space's armor

>tfw 6c/12t
I believe in Zen 2 or maybe even 3

I read somebody theorize on r/nvidia that Nvidia is selling these at such a ridiculous price to drive orders for the huge stock of 1080s they made during crypto highs. How true do you think this is?

Well thanks for the help guys, I appreciated.

Could you at least tell me how retarded is the idea of opening the anti-static bag the mobo comes in and using it as an improvised anti-static mat for the components?

it's what smart people do

You recommend I get a new MB for DDR4? Or just get DDR3 2133?

>No benchmarks being released is also a massive red flag.
That was another prediction of mine: That they'd launch them off tech demos over, with no performance comparisons of todays games (because those would be disappointing)

Price fixing is how they justify it.

You need a completely new PC.
Also yeah, your brain is your hardest bottleneck for spending more money for a GPU that's worse than the cheaper 1080Ti.

Nvidia is making it easy. There's no damage to control. They're only hurting themselves and the consumer.

Very true.
They're still sitting on Pascal stock. They've tried to sell them, but they don't want to lower prices.
Turing is a stop-gap release until 7nm which will be here in around a year or less before it's obsolete. It came to the point that they simply couldn't wait much longer to release Turing before there'd be even less time before the writing is on the wall about them being obsolete.

they should name nvidia to nwindia after that press conference

>2080ti is literally 1600 dollars in Norway

Attached: Tired Pepe.jpg (250x241, 7K)

if you're getting a new mobo and ram, why not get a new CPU too?
and just get fastest RAM possible, you can manually OC if a good kit, read reviews. aim for 3000Mhz at least.

>Nvidia is making it easy. There's no damage to control. They're only hurting themselves and the consumer.
So you are conferming you work there, not a surprise.

high-end cards not for poors

Attached: 1456613187803.jpg (500x543, 67K)

If anything, he is literally b8ting you.
You're probably the only one not realizing it though.

Attached: 1531166755334.gif (320x240, 1.58M)

Are you retarded? I'm complaining about the price difference between countries, not about it being expensive

watch the resale value of 1080ti goes up as soon as benchmark confirms 20xx series is shit

Good day, my dudes.

I am looking for some advice on whether to upgrade or not.

My specs are as follows:

i5-6600
2x 8GB G.Skill DDR4-2132
Radeon R9 390
ASRock H170M Pro4

Question: Is it possible/does it make sense to upgrade processor or graphics card? Or would an upgrade of any component already warrant building a whole new machine? I am totally out of the loop, sorry for asking such a dumb question.

why do US citizens keep throwing poor as an insult, as if such a thing as social justice actually existed?
I have nothing against people who didn't/couldn't trade their time and health for consumer tokens myself
why

How long until GTX 2060 and 2050's?
Also will AMD drop prices on their RX 580s now?

Attached: 1533986836693.jpg (992x975, 145K)

just get cheap secondhand 1070, already £200.

I love how even the delusional children at Jow Forumspcmasterrace aren't buying this regression in price:performance but we've at least got some false-flaggers here on Jow Forums.

The 2070 and 2080 are plainly worse buys than the 1070Ti and 1080Ti.

That was easy.
I bet one of your (you)ing me is one of the fucktards who said they screencapped my post from yesterday for
>when I'm BTFO
Yet again, it doesn't happen. It never happens.

It's still overpriced in the US, so why do you care?
I've been saying for weeks that these new cards won't be better price:performance than the 1070Ti and 1080Ti. I was correct.

Now watch 1080Ti prices go up as stock diminishes so you have no choice but pay more for the 2080.

Likely the middle of next year as I believe they are waiting for 7nm to launch those.
>Also will AMD drop prices on their RX 580s now?
No. RX580 is still competitive with the 1060 and 1060 have not gotten their price reduced.

Like the other user said, and I was also saying days ago, you're going to find a lot of used GPUs as there are actually people retarded enough to buy this new overpriced RTX gimmick and sell their better value Pascal GPUs for them at a loss.

You could get a 6700 I guess..?
My i5-2500k frequently bottlenecked my 7970 even on highly optimized games like Heroes of the Storm and R6 Siege. So I wouldn't be surprised if your 390 is bottlenecked by your 6600, though that's also quite a hot GPU.

You'd have to investigate what is holding you back in what you're playing yourself based on how you use your PC.

Depends on what you're doing. Do you feel like your performance is sluggish? For sure, if you don't have one yet, get a solid state drive as your main OS drive. Otherwise:
>CPU
Easy to upgrade, as long as the new CPU shares the same socket, in your case you can upgrade up to a 7700 (or 7700K, but that wouldn't make sense unless you change your motherboard, which we'll get to)
>RAM
If your motherboard has 4 DIMM slots, you can put in 2 more sticks of RAM, just make sure they're the same sticks as much as possible (Same speed, timings)
>Graphics card
Pretty straightforward, just slap in a new one if the old one's too slow
>Motherboard
Upgrading this is what would warrant changing most of your PC since you need new compatible RAM and compatible CPU

jesus i just saw a 6gb 1060 go for £120 on a forum im on.

Enjoy it while you can

Attached: vbhkftyk.png (1120x813, 249K)

How buttblasted are you gayming faggots going to get when the new spectre-proof Intel and AMD CPUs come out later this year with 25% reduced performance?

god i fucking hope 1080 ti prices don't go insane by the 28th