/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.
*Many free software projects have an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 1503000436696.jpg (953x1200, 272K)

Other urls found in this thread:

access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/system_administrators_guide/sect-managing_services_with_systemd-unit_files
labs.bible.org/api/?passage=random'
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If a normie was serious about personal privacy and security (but not willing to inconvenience himself enough to use Tails on a flash drive,) what would you advise him to do? Distro, choice of programmes, encryption, etc.

I'm the normie, by the way. It's a clever ruse.

Website for the Heads computer using linux technological distro, which is on the world wide web:
>Since grsecurity isn't redistributing their patch gratis anymore, heads uses forward ports of the last publicly available patch.
It sort of sounds like the project is built on sand, unless they're able to do whatever grsecurity did on a long term basis. Is my assessment bullshit?

install windows

Taking self-deprecating humour literally is bottom feeding, user.

Since Hardened Gentoo is dead, what's in the "hardened stage 3" tarballs?

How come firebug is able to find the mp4 source of a streaming website, yet I can't find it via wireshark?

Does this character have a penis?

Sadness and disappointment.

So what's the latest verdict - nouveau or proprietary? For a GTX1070

Do you want free software? Use nouveau.
Do you want best perf in games? Use windows

how can i run vmware workstation with nvidia graphics? im running manjaro with bumblebee.

also does this enable 3d acceleration within vm's?

How to enable wifi on debian stable after minimal install with no DE? I have read some and still can't make it to work. It used to work fine on Debian 8 but in Debian 9 they made some changes and fucked everything up.

I want the best perf in games while using Linux. Last I heard either nouveau or the proprietary drivers were complete dogshit while the other was pretty well usable, if I'm not wrong then which one is it?

>just use windows
Being willing to accept a small amount of botnet isn't the same as being willing to make your entire system botnet. I also much prefer Linux for everything outside of gaming, and both dual booting and VMs are shitty solutions.

Step 1. Do you have drivers?
Step 2. You don't, install Windows
More serious answer: what exactly is the problem? What does ip addr say?

lol

hardened gentoo is not dead. It just cannot use stable grsec kernel patches, because they changed its licensing. They are allowed and can use the testing branch of grsecurity.

Two possible solutions:
1. install network manager, it comes with a cli ncurses control applications
2. install wpa-supplicant and set it up as a service. it has a ncurses interface too.

From what I've seen, since about a year ago testing patches don't exist anymore, and you can't get grsec for free at all.

>im running manjaro wi
And here is out first manjaro retard of the thread, having no idea how a virtual machine works this time.

Looks like things have changed since I last checked. I guess it uses a plain gentoo patchset kernel with hardening options enabled then.

It's not wlan0 anymore. Now it's wlo1. They made some changes to networking and now there's no internet when booting to tty when doing a minimal install with no DE. It used to work on Debian 8.

I would install NM if I had connection but I don't. Minimal install with no DE and a targeted kernel.

Attached: 20180820153513_1.jpg (2592x1944, 801K)

Running XFCE on a thinkpad, is there a way I can suspend to RAM after closing the Lid?

I just became a full LinuxChad; Has QEMU better performance than Virtualbox for a windows VM?

Perhaps more suited for /sqt/ but I'm new to Fedora and a bit confused by why the application launcher is just blank with no applications listed whatsoever.
Is it a Fedora thing or is it just because it uses a newer version of GNOME than I'm accustomed to and this is the new default? I always launch application by typing but since I just installed Fedora I figured I'd check out which software is bundled and can't seem to do so.

>I would install NM if I had connection but I don't
tough shit, also I kinda lost count how many times some idiot did this.
If you have wired, you can just enable it and use dhclient to get an IP
If not, boot up a live system (I recommend live debian or live ubuntu), chroot in your current system and install network.

Is anyone else having problems with firefox recently? I've been running Debian Sid for three years and have never had problems with it until now. Never had this happened before on tabs, it just looks weird.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-08-20_13-28-31.png (832x743, 54K)

Trying to build my first PKGBLD in Arch.
There's an updated version of a program that has been orphaned for awhile now, but the file is a .deb.

What should I do to build my PKGBLD?

Attached: 1534380144521s.jpg (250x246, 7K)

What do you mean idiots? I did exactly this multiple times in Jessie. Somehow it doesn't work in Stretch after they changed some networking shit.
I only have a netinstall and I can't into chroot anyway.

Probably not, as both uses kvm as backend. The gui of virtualbox and the guest additions are big plus thou.

Jow Forumsentlemen, how do I run my custom script at boot AFTER the drivers are loaded? I want to disable my laptop's internal touchpad and keyboard since they are broken and wrote a nifty script to do so:
[code
]xinput set-prop 12 "Device Enabled" 0
xinput set-int-prop 2 "Device Enabled" 8 0
[/code]

and then adding a service in systemd:
[Unit]
After=sshd.service

[Service]
ExecStart=/home/user/scripts/touchpad.sh

[Install]
WantedBy=default.target

But this did not work for me. Any clues?

Mozilla just wants those sweet sweet automated crash reports

what if you put them in xinit?

What's the point of disabling the touchpad and keyboard if they are broken anyway?
Not like anyone going to use it > lal

Attached: 0.jpg (480x360, 11K)

will try this, however I would like to know how to do this via systemd

touchpad constantly pops up right click menu and keyboard randomly presses buttons.

>shirt says freedom
For a second there I thought it said femdom...

Here:
>access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html/system_administrators_guide/sect-managing_services_with_systemd-unit_files

Thanks user.

Also, what do you think about getting first RHEL certificate? Is it worth time and money?

Sure, if you plan on being in the IT industry it's definitely a must.

Should I fund it myself or should I get a job and then wait for the company to fund it for me?

I'm currently a trainee as system integration engineer with Linux.

You're doing something wrong. Nothing changed except interface names.

It's been my personal experience to not always rely on the company I work for.
So, if you can, do it yourself, unless of course they are more than willing to pay for it.

mate im running vmware workstation inside manjaro installed on bare-metal. wtf is ur problem

If anyone is interested, I found the solution to my question geometry is the wrong approach since this is used to move the whole window, not the video rectangle in full screen mode. But pretty close to the geometry section in the manual I found the solution, so thank I guess.
--video-pan-y=-0.05 achieves the intended behavior.

Maybe.
Nice thumbnail, faggot.
Certs are useless sheckel memes. The only thing hiring you is your experience level.
The guy searching the archives in 5 years sends love.

So, I went balls deep today and installed arch in place of my old windows 7 installation. I got X and network working, but oh boy, I thought it'd be a little bit more simple.
>inb4 why choose autistic distro
i wanted something that comes with base install, and debian netinst refuses to boot on this machine for whatever reason (thank you nvidia)
So, how do I prevent i3 from spawning 3 terminals at startup? I looked trough ~/.config/i3/config, but there's not a single exec that could be related to this.

Why is pastebin blocking archive.today? did they do something bad to them?

Attached: pastebin.png (1903x893, 29K)

Guess someone put some Jow Forums tier leak/other shit on pastebin which they deleted but it made to archive.today and they got in trouble for it?

Look in ~/.config/autostart/. You've got something scripted to run at start.

Is there any reason whatsoever to have a swap partition if I have 32G ram and don't want to hibernate?

The proprietary drivers are cancer, use nouveau

i don't have this directory

It must have happened very recently then, like 3 days ago I've archived another pastebin page easily.

No.
Hell even at 6-8GB you don't need one. You can create a swapfile any time its not enough.

Dont use an tiling wm, they are meme that you wont even use
Use fluxbox. It just fits better.
>little bit more simple
What problems were you having or was it just i3 related?(which isnt the os, its the shitty i3 software)

I isolated this freezing issue I'm having with MPV. It happens to Chrome to (I installed it to test but wont use it because it has no Hidpi option). With some searches online I find the cause.
So ding ding ding! Iiiiits Compton. Something has gone wrong with it overnight somehow. Maybe I accidentally updated it to a glitchy version or a file is broke.
If I disable the Compton compositor and fullscreen mpv the video playback works fine. Reenable it, and it freezes.
Trouble is, without it I get tearing and flickering so I kind of need it also.
What to do?

You say that like you expect it's normal, but it's not. By default nothing should open when i3 first launches. If you use startx then check in .xinitrc too. Feel free to post your i3 config if you want, otherwise I don't know what else to tell you.

compton is overkill for just solving screen tearing. What video card

Intel HD 500.
It's pretty puny.

(You)

Attached: femdom.jpg (953x1200, 226K)

bingo, it was .xinitrc

next, how does one debug alsa?
I have a topping D30 (2,0 (stereo) and 2,1 (mono)), a mic with audio output and a graphics card that can output audio trough hdmi/dp too. I want to use D30 exclusively, but I can't get it to work. No sound at all.

I would post output of aplay -D 2,0 sound.wav, but apparently clipboard doesn't work either.

Have you tried looking up other methods of solving screen tearing for intel? I only know of a simple way to do it with nvidia proprietary drivers. Your card might require editing some X11 config.
Or just fix your issue with compton I guess, but I just personally think it's silly to use unless you actually want the desktop effects compton provides.

that's gay

Install pulse, yes im serious, it simplifies all of what you want to do.
Check the arch pulse wiki for specifics and config options that you need

Yeah, no. I want a really simple solution where one output device receives all audio at max volume. I don't need any of the features pulse provides.

Unless you are intentionally avoiding pulseaudio (some people do) then just get pulseaudio and pavucontrol.
As for the clipboard it probably does work but you're just not used to how quirky copy-pasting is on GNU/Linux. It is the way it is by design but it's one of the few things I genuinely prefer the Windows behavior of even after a decade.
I do like that we have 2 clipboards though, it does come in handy, but still.

Yeah, yes
That is literally accomplished with a few buttons in pavucontrol, a front end for pulse
Alsa only is going to be a 200+ line config

>linux audio sucks, it's hard to configure, and can't do the neat things other os's can do, but i don't have the expertise to improve it
>pulseaudio comes along, making linux audio easy to configure and use, with the same or more features are other sound systems
>pulseaudio sucks because it's not what we had before and it does too much
>why can't i just do with alsa? why can't someone make something for alsa that does this thing?

Attached: 1457894926725.jpg (763x540, 75K)

Then look in alsamixer. Otherwise do a web search.

>>pulseaudio sucks because it's not what we had before and it does too much
When pottering first brought out pulse it was garbage and fucked up almost every nano second cause it was written poorly and there was no support for it.
Since pottering hasnt submitted a commit in years, its way better and is the ideal choice

You're gay.

Wow, you really showed that strawman who's boss

PulseAudio mostly sucked because it exposed a decade's worth of latent bugs in ALSA drivers.

fair enough, I got it to work in like 10 seconds via pavu-control
and nearly died to a heart attack when the audio started playing

next question, how do I set a better font for everything? urxvt seems kind bad, but firefox makes my eyes literally bleed
ideally i'd like to use consolas as it looks nice (at least in desktop threads), I even downloaded it from AUR but I've no idea what do I do next in order to set it as a default

man xresources

Change the font in .Xdefaults, and set dpi in .Xresources
For firefox its literally how it has been since v1, its in the program settings

Have you ever heard of a search engine?

>chrome
yout're disgusting

is it possible to make tracks wider in Rosegarden, they're so thin

Attached: maxresdefault (1).jpg (1280x720, 117K)

What's a good distro for retards, and doesn't use that much resources? I've been using lubuntu, but lxde is kind of shit.

Attached: Stereotyping-Me-2.jpg (600x419, 90K)

Alpine Just/Linux

Yeah, but it's literally my first day using linux and after spending half a day looking trough the internet and things like this:
>>How to edit display placement in i3?
>just swap the cables bro, lmao
I though that you guys could help me out a bit. It's hard to find something if you don't know how to form the query correctly. "Alsa no audio" got me nowhere, for example.

it's Musl/Linux, 9 out of 10 programs won't run on it

>first day in gnu
>jumping right into the arch+i3 meme
Why would you do this

Ubuntu MATE. The difference between LXDE and MATE resource usage is dwarfed by a single browser window.

Does Ubuntu mate have the ubuntu spyware?

Because I got tired of troubleshooting debian and nv drivers. Also, I've all the time in the world to learn new stuff. It would be insulting for a programmer to not know basics of unix.

>>first day in gnu
I did use linux before, but it was always in a vm and only for the tasks that couldn't be done on windows. I always ended up writing code on windows, and then compiling it from linux via shared directories. ama

Should I stick to 16.04, or move on?

Who is this semen demon?

Please rate my shell function. It prints a new god chosen bible verse every time you run it.
DNCORNHOLIO(){
wget -qO- 'labs.bible.org/api/?passage=random' \
| sed $'s::\e[1m:; s::\e[m:; s:$:\\n:'
}

Attached: 1530339675774.jpg (600x900, 214K)

As I said I was only testing it to see if the claim that some people make that youtube video playback on it is better than on Firefox.
It certainly does something different since it would freeze just like MPV would and where Firefox doesn't.
I fixed the MPV freeze with this line to the conf file:
x11-bypass-compositor=fs-only

I could just remove the compositor but I'm unsure if the other guide I did actually worked or not.
Definitely some issue with X11 and Compton. Maybe I added a line to the X11 config and broke something last night.
I do a lot of tweaks trying to get certain things working better. I know I had to modify DPI settings to get things looking alright at a high resolution (I'm at 3000x2000).
I still have some tiny icons I can't fix but text, windows, and menus are all good.
What is great about LXLE (what I'm running) vs Windows 10 is that the tablet actually charges way way quicker since it's idling at like 2-4% usage 1gb RAM with some tabs open and 800mhz clock. The old ondemand governor actually works better than performance on the newer Ubuntu builds intel has forced (this is a hybrid build of older and newer ubuntus from my research).
Intel makes CPUs Turbo a lot, especially in Windows, and turbo is bad for Atom-style processors. Nearly useless honestly. It shouldn't be on if it doesn't need it. I had to disable turbo on my GPD Win. Had no issues with it since.

777 / 10

Can someone please explain how to format a HDD before installing a BSD OS? What file system should I select? And what's considered the default fs for BSD? Strangely I didn't find any coherent information on the net

>unix
>linux
GNU slash Linux*

You shouldn't have to preformat.
also i hope you chose dragonfly

and this is why we can't have nice things

Consolas turned out to be pretty bad for web. Any font recommendations for firefox? Everything seems awful

The arch wiki has a nice article for free fonts that mimic shit and instructions on unauthorized copying of the real fonts.

>Can someone please explain how to format a HDD before installing a BSD OS?
just leave some empty space or create an empty PRIMARY partition
>And what's considered the default fs for BSD?
UFS2
don't preformat it, let the bsd installer do it.

>natively running games, possibly with wine where necessary
>as above but using e.g. firejail
>as above but in a full VM, Qubes-style (but on a normal system with a full OS host)
>as above but in literally Qubes (with a hypervisor host)
>using a windows VM instead
>using a windows VM on the same hypervisor as your Qubes system
Is that last one even possible? Which solution would you use and why?
(Assume only games that actually do work on Linux are considered)

you'll probably get abysmal performance on qubes. Security and games don't mix well. Just passthrough if you can. Or dual-boot. I rec W10 LTSB N, only bloat it comes with is photo viewer. And boot time is ~the same as my GNUL.

WTF Jow Forums you faggots made me believe that KDE is shit. I just tried it and it's leagues better than gnome, mate and all the meme DEs.