So I installed this but I'm not entirely sure what the point of it is

So I installed this but I'm not entirely sure what the point of it is.
>pain in the ass to install
>has no software out of the gate so even if it has no bloat you're forced to install loads of shit to get it working

Why would you ever use this when you can install Ubuntu or Linux Mint?

Attached: Z99qXkj.png (340x340, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

git.archlinux.org/installer.git
github.com/Acidburn0zzz/aif-dev
github.com/jdodds/aif
packages.ubuntu.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You can set it up the way you want from ground up

Because edgy teenagers wanna feel edgy
Gentoo, unlike arch has a reason for it's difficult installation because it's purpose is so you can build an OS tailored to what you want without the linux from scratch nightmare

Attached: 24741.png (171x171, 20K)

Just use your out of the box shit, nigger. Arch is not that hard to install and set.

You're able to get understanding of how system components work together by facing and fixing problems that are carefully fixed for you by maintainers in such distros as Ubuntu.

I use it because of this
but also because I like pacman, I like AUR and I'm (now) familiar with most of the tools in it and how it all works on Arch. Just suits me. But if Ubuntu or Linux Mint suits you better, use that.

Arch isn't for you. Arch's demographic are autist not retards. You clearly fall into the retards category.

it's easy to install, install software and all that shit..
the "problem" is that you be careful maintaining the system.

tldr: if you planning to works serious shit, use ubuntu or fedora or something non arch.

+1 for Fedora it just works

Attached: 1507907965597.jpg (1600x298, 226K)

Because operating systems break. All the time. Windows, Mac, Ubuntu, etc.

By using a minimal install, you understand what the moving parts are and how to troubleshoot your computer. Arch doesn't break, but when it does it is trivial to fix, and it's the best binary, rolling release distro.

>has no software out of the gate
That's the beauty of it.

>he fell for the arch meme

Rolling release and the package manager is godly.

>not installing arch/gentoo/etc. just for the learning experience
i want cucks to leave

>No bloat
That's not true. All arch packages are bloated.

install gentoo

I know this is bait but arch was literally the first linux distributions I ever used and I was a windows user my entire life up until that point. it took me 20 minutes to install it and around 19 to set it up and after that it was my main OS for a short while until I moved on to something better. imo arch is an average distro and others like debian and gentoo are better and a lot more stable. ubuntu and mint are bloated unstable pieces of shit that only retards should use

>no bloat

Attached: 1548573758384.jpg (427x450, 20K)

>pacman >> dpkg mess (or any other alike system actually)
>rolling
>ports-like build system
>AUR
>mkinitcpio
>netctl
>simpler file hierarchy (/{bin,sbin,usr/sbin} -> /usr/bin)
>minimum patching

you install it in a VM on top of Debian, so you can boot it up when you need newer software

>actually needing a VM for newer software
Enjoying that stable debian experience?

Just use unstable if you're using debian on your desktop.

The problem is that anything newer than debian stable is buggy and must be confined to a VM

>mpv v0.23

AUR

/thread

ebuilds

/thread

Pacman and AUR are legit good things of Arch. just use the Antergos installer like a normal non-autist.

AUR is a joke. There's no reason to trust random archfags to write proper build scripts, and many are unmaintained.

That's why you check the scripts yourself, like you're supposed to.

And even if there is a problem with it, writing pkgbuild scripts is simple. Just do it yourself.

Read it nigger. It's not hard.

Arch is for people who want to learn about OSes, if you want to actually get shit done, just install Antergos or Manjaro.

Attached: Manjaro KDE.png (720x467, 201K)

Or just install Mint and stop being a hobbiest faggot.

Attached: 1499802634284.jpg (439x290, 23K)

Not worth abandoning AUR imo.

But still not too bad, only if you get something other than the shit Cinnamon DE it comes with by default.

Mint stopping support for KDE was a crime against nature. May have to switch to Arch and be a turbo-fag.

Attached: 1510975716835.jpg (1280x720, 196K)

If you were into Mint KDE, Kubuntu could be more your thing. That or openSUSE or Manjaro KDE, I highly recommend the latter two, great distros

>Manjaro KDE
AKA ManDE.

Attached: pure.png (552x170, 18K)

Fedora KDE

You can install it on NTFS if it tickles your dick.

It's one step down from Gentoo but not as much of a hassle.

Bluepill: arch is a highly customizable distro that puts a ton of power in your hands with none of the bloat.

Redpill: in the exact same way that “normies” have social signalling through consumerism and status displays (number of followers, latest iphone, etc...), Jow Forums uses the os of your computer to trick you into thinking yourself inadequate for not living up to their standards. This leads you to either leaving the board or adhering to their ways over time. By criticising people for having “inferior” os setups the average Jow Forums user can role play as the very same bully who made him feel so rejected all those years ago for not living up to their standards (going to parties, having a girlfriend, etc...). Its advertising and consumerism, just with a lower financial price tag.

Woke

nothing about Arch is hard to install

you can do it in 10 mins easy

The fuck I though everyone here was an idiot

Attached: baseballman.jpg (523x720, 166K)

>AUR
>archlinux-java (because I shit on the streets)
And as any generic pajeet, I broke my initramfs and have to manually mount /dev/sda as /new_root everytime I turn on my laptop
too lazy to fix it

I actually clung to arch for those two exact reasons. Then I realized gentoo has its own AUR and eselect.
Eselect is just a generalized, simple tool for streaming "Java-config" type utilities, and it's great.

It's gentoo-lite. For people who want to experience installing gentoo but without all the compiling.

>arch serves no purpose
how come?
if I want OS which has software I need and nothing additional, rolling release and AUR are good additions too, how this is not a purpose?
>hurr durr, gentoo has a purpose
like learning to compile software?
there's no need for gentoo when there's arch, only purpose for gentoo to satisfy autistic edgy teenagers.

There's nothing hard about installing arch or gentoo.

>has no software out of the gate so even if it has no bloat you're forced to install loads of shit to get it working
you start with a clean slate and install things only to your need, there's no bloat there

>you start with a clean slate and install things only to your need, there's no bloat there.

sniff, sniff... I smell bullshit.

arch packages come complete with the dev files - how's that not fucking bloat you cunt?

Combines the customizability of Ubuntu with the ease of use of Gentoo.

That sir is stuff of nightmares.

Attached: winnie.jpg (237x213, 6K)

OP here. By the way I forgot to mention but the Arch Linux devs are huge cunts.

Attached: autism.png (1231x309, 31K)

Well yeah it suck when mint no longer officially supports KDE. But well Dev's decided to do that because mint team is not that big as for example Ubuntu and converting stuff to be compatible with KDE consumes time and effort. Devs just decided to focus on mint and cinnamon.

Well, cinnamon is good tho.

You are fucking retarded.
All you have to do to install it is follow the fucking instructions, and the AUR provides basically everything out of the box. To be honest it's the easiest and most broken distro there is

Install Gentoo

stop being a hobbiest faggot

Give me one example of software you cannot install on Ubunut and you can only find it in aur

Thanks Morpheus

RTFM

Everyone connected to Arch or moderation is a cunt :^)

- Documentation. Best on the entire Linux market. Especially when you need to do something an inch beyond what the installer offers on easy distros while on those you're alone with maybe bunch of outdated blog posts.
- Latest software mostly without maintainers putting their greasy fingers in them.

That said I use Debian these days. Still using their Wiki.

>>pain in the ass to install
It's much faster and simpler to install than any other OS I've used.
>>has no software out of the gate so even if it has no bloat you're forced to install loads of shit to get it working
You mean a DE/WM and X11? It isn't hard to install those.

Except by bullying people we slow the degradation of the board, so it is a good thing.

The wikis are little more than man files.

>AKA ManDE.
Please no

Possibly the worst option out of the ones mentioned, Fedora KDE sucks ass

It actually has a ton of bloat. Default 200-something packages compared to just 30 of Alpine.

I hate the redpill meme but this is 100% accurate.
Arch offers nothing outside of being a meme. Manjaro is the better version of it, since it still has the aur and it doesn't release security updates until it is tested, but people shit on Manjaro because its not in the "I installed Arch, Look at me" groups. You can literally install any linux binary on any linux system if you're competent enough.

I was losing hope on Jow Forums. This guy shows a great improvement.

Use Void. Installation is easy, comes with no software, uses runit instead of systemdick, packages are extremly less bloat (on arch 10% of my disk used after installing the packages i use, 2% of disk usage using void with the same packages)

Hell even parabola has an automation script to install it
and is a better distro

OP go kill yourself

But what actually needs to be automated? All you have to do in Arch is the same shit you would be doing to install any distro, you just have to run the commands yourself, which ends up being faster and easy, as there is no interpretation necessary.

I prefer automation
for every installation there are like 13 different commands i cant recall them all perfectly or in exact order

Okay, that is your preference and that is fine. Just don't try to pretend that automation is inherently superior.

I know brother
just pointing out that parabola's automation has helped me install the system very well

Or, you could install Manjaro and call it a day, but of course, you're OP.

Attached: Youfaggot.jpg (762x785, 193K)

When I first had installed Arch I remember it had a TUI similar to Debian. Why was it removed and why no one has forked it? Or is this what Parabola uses?

But I used Arch even before I started visiting Jow Forums

Same. I think they're projecting a bit there, with the red pill. Though why anyone would really care what Jow Forums thinks of their OS/distro, I'm not sure.

Attached: ARG_LINUGS_DDDDDDDDDDDDD.png (512x512, 51K)

people be hella insecure, yo

So I searched a bit. It seems Arch Installer Framework as was called was used for about three years (2009-2012) and was removed/deprecated for the scripts now used. Source (a single script) was last updated in 2009 and can be found in
git.archlinux.org/installer.git
It seems Architect and Antergos original (Architect-based) installation script were based on it
github.com/Acidburn0zzz/aif-dev
An abandoned since 2012 refactored (modularized) fork can be found in
github.com/jdodds/aif

now you register on the forum and meet the arseholes

I should write to the Manjaro Devs to have ManDE as the official name for Manjaro KDE. That would increase downloads exponentially

Just name it Mandy

More like Fedora KYS

Keep track of what you're installing so you have an idea of the software you like to have on any given distribution. You probably want xorg-server, for example, but if you only installed Ubuntu before, you kight not realize this. This helps you separate the ideas of GNU/Linux in general from a particular distro, and improves understanding of your system.

I haven't got ubuntu, so please check these for me
>polybar (panel)
>lemon (font)
>scientifica (font)
>osbuddy (runescape client)
>guix (package manager)
>nix (package manager)

so teenagers can feel special for following install instructions. Use Manjaro or Antergos if you need arch so bad.

Neither are bloat, you just found something more minimal.

Manjaro fucks up ssl certs, and not matching upstream is a nuisance

>no bloat
>systemd
Pick one

Why use Linux at all? If you're on x86 your PC is a botnet anyhow thanks to board management controllers like the Intel Management Engine or the AMD Platform Security Processor. Open source software is worthless if you are on propitiatory firmware. Until RISC-V saves us, there is literally no reason not to use the best OS on the platform, if you are stuck with x86.

Why are you not using Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB, user? It's literally perfect.

>no telemetry
>no windows store or UWP by default
>gets all security updates
>updates can be deferred indefinably, giving you full control, no forced reboots
>beautiful clear type font rendering
>impossible for you to buy, so you need to pirate, not giving microsoft a dime

Why does it feel like everyone here has an inferiority complex? You don't use Arch for e-peen. The install is only difficult in the way anything you haven't done before is difficult, so it's hardly worth mentioning. It's the best systemd distro. Unless you're gonna use Void, GuixSD, Gentoo, etc. Arch is basically the best choice.

Because its gay af. MANjaro as a name is already faggy, lets not add to that.

>using an OS that isn't unix-like
>falling for the extremes fallacy of not bothering if you can't do something perfectly
>assuming everyone is on x86
>supporting any optional non-free software
You were not raised well, and you do not belong here. Please give your views some serious thought, and don't post for a while.

>>assuming everyone is on x86
What else is there? PowerPC, ARM? There is no real alternative.

You named two existing real alternatives. You can get an ARM Chromebook and install GNU/Linux on it. It even comes with Coreboot. Talos II for POWER if you're wealthy. Old stuff for older POWER, plenty of ARM SBCs, RISC-V has a $1000 SBC and hopefullu more hardware in the coming years. They're losing the popularity contest, but they're out there and you can use them.

>You can get an ARM Chromebook and install GNU/Linux on it.
Not powerful enough.

>talos
Too expensive.

>RISC-V
The PCI-e root complex expansion FPGA is sold out on crowd supply. What good is a PC if I can't have video output? Do you want me to write my own text based interface over GPIO or what? I'll gladly buy a Freedom Unleashed if the PCI-e expansion was available.

packages.ubuntu.com/

if you don't care about software bloat, go back to your babby distros

system components and packages written by different developers with different naming conventions and different configuration architecture and different syntax inside the configuration files with no real standards or strong opinionated cohesive structure.
real strong understanding that you'll benefit from just by "seeing the most clusterfuck way of putting together an OS that you'll be desensitized to any garbage packages you'll ever come across in the future" type experience.
gotcha.

>You mean a DE/WM and X11? It isn't hard to install those.
go try installing on a cage with nvidia card X11 DE/WM and come back to share your experience again.