/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Snapheiser Edition.

Previous thread:

Attached: snap.png (846x585, 24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dropbox.com/sh/654wxtmhlq0dhqa/AAAKT-RIbEKpsl-JW7mOnu_9a?preview=Sennheiser HD650.pdf
anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=13698
youtube.com/watch?v=hiNdTUxGYCo
amazon.com/Topping-D30-A30-Suit-Set/dp/B01MXRHW9M
youtube.com/watch?v=t8BpXF_foQ4
youtu.be/2x3iFJxccYU
youtube.com/watch?v=kz1Ih2gBbfU&list=PL0WgwmWpw7oMRPmZYtgO85ePYmQ5PepUe
youtube.com/watch?v=LtSNzPyo0lA
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/8fqs2g/ive_tried_all_sorts_of_truly_wireless_headphones/
youtube.com/watch?v=C7U50tfxPD0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Is the Massdrop Plus worth $300? Anyone have em?

Attached: tmp_24506eb2a37ee1e1287614ebeccc8a25ea53bmiddlenamecaps823047779.jpg (364x652, 129K)

>assdrop
no

>assdrop
no

Don't buy chink shit

Attached: 20180820_112818.jpg (4032x2268, 1.91M)

Reminder that HD600 has nobass

I want to buy the stax L300 but I'm not sure if I should put on them the L700 pads or the xb1000 pads
Are there any measurements of how they affect the FR?

Get L300LE, it’s supposed to be closer to L700 than L300 despite not costing much more than L300.

hd600 vs hd650 once and for all please
terrible OP

Are there such a thing as pads that improve HD600?

then you make it next time instead of letting the thread die

Idol trash here. What's your setup like, user?
You'll be better off getting an amp, such as the O2 or the Magni3.

Attached: 1525971346766.png (960x540, 524K)

no

BUY SCHIIT

Attached: deruntermensch.jpg (613x595, 89K)

At least my magni 3 has audio...
>Day off work
>spend 5 hours fucking around with xmos drivers to no avail
Thanks Gustard

HD650 with EQ
If your current ear pads are flattened/worn out, new ones will improve the sound. Make sure you get the Sennheiser ones.

EQ where

at bofa

dropbox.com/sh/654wxtmhlq0dhqa/AAAKT-RIbEKpsl-JW7mOnu_9a?preview=Sennheiser HD650.pdf

Attached: ss+(2018-07-10+at+09.58.29).png (1617x820, 296K)

I fail to understand basic graphs please spoonfeed me some more

nevermind through intellectual efforts I managed to do just that

Which xmos-based device is that?
Seriously no usb audio class1 or 2 support?

Gustard A20H
Uses XMOS U8. Apparently some people here have them and never had any problems but I tried enough to give up fucking with it, even tried different brands xmox shit and did a refresh of windows... NO AUDIO FUCK YOU GOOKS

Sounds defective. Reference XMOS drivers lack features but they produce sound.

I would get changes between PCM 44.1 / 48 on the display but I never got any audio out of it reinstalling the driver like 12 times. I boxed it back up out of frustration and requested a return of item then even tore back into it and tried again, and now it is boxed back up again for shipping. Fuck this.

It looks like USB is on a daughter card. Maybe open it up and try reseating it. Did any of the SPDIF ports work?

I never tried any other port I don't know where my optical cable is. I don't know if I want to reopen the package again now.

>Uses XMOS U8. Apparently some people here have them and never had any problems but I tried enough to give up fucking with it, even tried different brands xmox shit and did a refresh of windows... NO AUDIO FUCK YOU GOOKS
It seriously doesn't have standard usb audio?
That's some crazy levels of fail.
I'd boot linux, and try it there.

I tried it on ubuntu x220 thinkpad. Nothing.

>lists of freq, q, gain
>hd600 to harman among other stuff
Idol trash here. Bookmarked. Will play with it @ jack-audio + eq10q

Attached: 1517041044491.png (960x540, 676K)

Does it not even enumerate?
lsusb, dmesg, lsusb.py.

god dammit I'll guess I'll unbox it again, but I'm a noob with linux.

Can someone recommend a good mmcx cable for an ATH-E40?

Pic unrelated

Attached: 1458119525010.jpg (1024x809, 121K)

Only recent versions of Windows 10 support USB Class 2.0. Even then you need a driver to use some features. FWIW I have 3 devices that use that chip and never had issues.

Don't bother unless you're running an old version of Ubuntu. Sounds like you're boned.
My W10 install didn't need a driver or anything to get full 32/384 playback on the A20H. His unit is fucked.

I already busted it back open I'll fuck with it some more I guess.
What should I do on ubuntu?

I don't get this picture, please Idol explain

Mess around with pavucontrol. Do what the other user suggested too.

anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=13698

I disconnected and tried on diff ports

Attached: 20180820_200615.jpg (4032x2268, 3.62M)

What about the HD650?

I can find this in the Driver Events information
Device TUSBAUDIO_ENUM\VID_20B1&PID_000A&KS\7&39cd25e3&2&2 requires further installation.

what gustard product?

A20H

I'm looking for a headphone DAC/amp that allows for more than two inputs. Since receiver headphone outs are usually shit, is there a way to get good headphone quality for this kind of setup?

I have 'em, and I think they're worth the $299. Excellent mids, sub-bass boost that doesn't muddle up the rest of the frequencies and good imaging/separation with great comfort. The cable is pretty meh, but it works. Competes well with most of my Campfire stuff (sound wise, not build wise), so long as it fits what you're looking for in its sound signature. They've also survived a bit of travel thus far, so they seem decently sturdy, too.

i ordered a h20 and they lost it in the mail. Got my refund from amazon. Sort of hoping it ends up arriving

I'll never buy a high end chink product again

A guy who can figure out the problem Himself. I certainly ain't going that far! Good Job.

what?

Sigh, that's what we get for being lazy and allowing shitposters to make Op...

Shut up.

Make me, faggot.

Attached: fatman.jpg (500x667, 28K)

Ok, honest question: Is there any point in getting more expensive headphones besides comfort and build quality if you can simply EQ it like that?
The only reason i can think of is if you really want the stock signature, or maybe if you want something portable for a trip that will not see any EQ.

now thats a big boi rightr there

this is better than the degenerates trying to push their low tier fetishes on other people

I would also love to know the answer to this.

NFB-11.28 has USB, coaxial, and optical inputs
youtube.com/watch?v=hiNdTUxGYCo

you're just mad you can't type "gawd I-i-i-i wish dat wuz meeeeee"

if it were that easy there would be no headphone market

all that does is flatten the FR

user, Thk You for asking a reasonable question. But Drunks operate better at night, IMO, and they must squabble over details. In your case: It Depends. How deep do you want to go? How much do you like music? Would you pay More to hear your favorite song better? Do you have a fav song? There's AN IMPERIAL SHIT TON OF GREAT RECORDINGS AVAILABLE - do you have the gear to hear that shit clear? I do. . .

Attached: beyer_dynamic_dt770_250ohm.jpg (1800x1241, 643K)

Thanks, do you have other suggestions too?
I'd rather buy from Amazon if I can.

Buy RME ADI-2 DAC

Attached: 847C1FCE-2940-4A20-BCBF-55A879FBDAAD.jpg (192x192, 15K)

So you are saying the point buying more expensive headphones is that people don't know how to EQ, even with guides like that available?

It's audio equipment dude, there's a market for tons of shit that literally does not do anything.

Just get the HD800S

has anyone here ordered from amazon.co.jp?
how is it compared to regular amazon?

NO!!! BUY SCHIIT!

Attached: deruntermensch3.jpg (613x595, 72K)

Bingo. Everyone thinks that it's as easy as just DSP and EQ, but if that were the case, there wouldn't be more than one, maybe two obvious choices and no one would debate this shit. There are too many factors to quantify into a simple "what's the best lol" answer.
That's not what he's saying and you know it, you mongoloid. Just buy your fucking 650/6XX, continue to assume that it's the best thing you can ever buy (which, at its pricepoint, may be true lol) and live happy. That's not to say that there isn't snake oil too, but bruh, quit acting dumber than you are.

Most Honorabe Recommendation!

Attached: RME ADI2 Pro.jpg (2500x1406, 229K)

no, different headphones have different drivers with different technologies and designs. all the EQs in the world couldn't turn shp9500 into stax or even hd600

Jee I sure wish I bought that instead of this piece of shit a20h

EQ can only alter the sound signature, there are other elements of a headphone that you can't fix with eq. Smarter people will be able to get more technical than I can.
You can make a non bassy headphone more bassy, but that doesn't mean it'll be good sounding bass. Also, eqing can introduce distortion.

amazon.com/Topping-D30-A30-Suit-Set/dp/B01MXRHW9M

Currently using a Fulla 2, is an Element the clear upgrade?
Seems like it has all the power I'll ever need, and will allow me to control my active monitors, something I like about the Fulla.

Short answer, yes. However, keep in mind that the line out on The Element is a line-level out, so the knob won't do anything while outputting to speakers; it'll only output full-volume and you'll have to tweak volume by way of source or a preamp. Not sure about the Element Amp, if that's what you're asking about. I have one (The Element) and love it for my headphones and DAC, but I have to use an OL Switcher to control output from my amp to my speakers.

Thanks. So are these kinds of dacs with 3 inputs the best way to do headphone audio then? I'm confused why the market is mostly geared for people who only use headphones with one device.

>The Element is a line-level out, so the knob won't do anything while outputting to speakers; it'll only output full-volume and you'll have to tweak volume by way of source or a preamp.
Damn, that's a deal breaker for me then. Need something with a variable output. Might go for a Magni 3 and Topping d30 instead.

Can I specifically EQ the bass on an HD650 to be more bassy without it sounding bad? I'm not asking for nigger bass, I'm not listening to basshead nigger trap.

Should be, I'd use the settings the other user listed as a start and tune to your taste.

Open back dynamics are not going to be very bassy, but even as a person who listens to a lot of electronic music the bass is pleasing on HD600s. 650 shouldn't be too different, but if you really like sub it won't work.

As for EQ I find they sound better without EQ

Quick, post your headphones and what you are listening to.
youtube.com/watch?v=t8BpXF_foQ4

Attached: IMG_20171031_173105421.jpg (4032x2268, 907K)

HD600

youtu.be/2x3iFJxccYU

kind of a slow burner until about 2:50

What are the best, cheapest, truly wireless earbuds I can buy? Absolutely don't want to deal with that wire on my neck like some Bluetooth earbuds have, gets annoying during cardio.

I'm not looking for crazy good quality, as I'll only be listening to talk podcasts at the gym with them. Already have other products for when I want quality.

Please respond.

Attached: pe2hrskx7gg11.jpg (750x728, 77K)

youtube.com/watch?v=kz1Ih2gBbfU&list=PL0WgwmWpw7oMRPmZYtgO85ePYmQ5PepUe

Attached: Massdrop_Plus_00.jpg (900x527, 26K)

hd579 + btr1
youtube.com/watch?v=LtSNzPyo0lA

should have bought a dx7s, plug it in and it works

I've got like an 8 year old pair of AT ATH-M50s, is there anything I'm really missing out on or am I fine holding onto these? I mostly just use them when I'm at my PC, I have my comfy
>Bose
Soundtrues or shitty BT IEMs for when I'm out of the house.

unironically something you would have better luck asking reddit

reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/8fqs2g/ive_tried_all_sorts_of_truly_wireless_headphones/

most anons hear are all about audio fidelity, so wireless is generally disregarded

Apple AirPods

as long as they still work for you then there's no problem, HD600s have been around since 1997 and nobody talks about abandoning those. you might need new pads or something though

youtube.com/watch?v=C7U50tfxPD0

ZYZZ LEGACY BRAH

Attached: b.jpg (640x480, 128K)

That's a good point, the pads are a bit manky and don't seal as well as they used to. Thanks for the reply, user.

one thing to keep in mind, when you change the pads (whether they be OEM or aftermarket) the sound will change. it will take a bit to get used to

I'm not sure if there are any good aftermarkets for M50 or if they're like senns where the stock pads are considered the best

HD668B, Massdrop O2 AMP.
Thoughts? (I prefer bright headphones)

Superlux HD681is brighter, also, you don't need an amp for it, so you can either save that money, get more comfortable pads or, depending on how much you willing to spend, just get better headphones altogether.

Buy the amp from JDS Labs. The massdrop version is supposedly not up to spec. You can also customize the JDS version with free engraving.

But it does cost more

Zeos just updated his headphone selection guide, anons. Go check it out!

Thanks, now I'll know what to avoid.