What is the best virtual machine software?

No shills

Attached: 1533989590524.jpg (600x600, 57K)

For local usage, VirtualBox. This belongs in the Stupid Questions Thread next time.

The post stated no shills you cunt. No oracle. No Microsoft.

>your advice is to post in a shill thread where you will get a shit answer followed by an Oracle recommendation

Kys

Attached: 1526042984137.png (488x463, 28K)

VMWare

Qemu.

VMware Workstation using a pirated key

QEMU/KVM. All the others are garbage. Don't fall for them.

how do you use qemu/kvm with shared gpu acceleration to windows guests?

Attached: 1534687707416.png (645x773, 19K)

Baremetal?

SR-IOV or you don't. However shared gpus in vms aren't very good for games anyway. You'd be better of using wine or using a second gpu for passthrough.

Good luck getting TempleOS working there cia niggers.

Buts it's such a pain in the ass to get working unless you use Gnome boxes which fucking sucks.

Windows - Hyper-v
Linux - KVM/QEMU
Mac - Kill yourself toddler

KVM, I mean qemu/ libvirt. If you are autistic enough to learn using it.

there are so many acronyms i can't keep track of what is what anymore when researching any hypervisor other than Hyper-V. Loonix fags are INSANE if they remember what is
>SR-IOV
>IOMMU
>QUEMUU
>KVM
>XEN
>XENSERVER (yes XEN is actually different from XenServer, YIKES)
>Citrix
>VirtIO
>VirGL
>VirGL3D
>VFIO
>vGPU (google results are absolutely FUCKED for this term, they don't give relevant results. this is just a GPU on the host shared to many VMs)
>VGA Passthrough
>GPU Passthrough
>GNU
>GUH NUUUU
>LOOOOOOOEEEYNIX
>RedHat Virtualization
>Lime Technology (literal who? Linus shilled for it)
>a bunch of other random ass companies who LITERALLY stole open source Xen and added 2-3 things to it, and charge a premium, no cracks found anywhere
And there are 0 actual graphics processing power benchmarks comparing every single product, it's chaotic as hell to sift through all these products only for it to end up being inferior to hyper-v for windows guests

so, WITH THAT BEING SAID, :3
what the fuck is SR-IOV, top result literally talks about passthrough which is not what I need :|

Attached: 1534639058362.jpg (1200x1000, 166K)

Qemu. Libvirt has XML to set it up if you're lazy. Vagrant automates making the XML if you're super lazy.

nope. not saving this one.

Attached: not snap.jpg (613x531, 48K)

VirtualBox is probably easiest.

> Kill yourself toddler
Archbabby on damage control.

it's incredibly undocumented how people get any sort of vGPU in the FOSS platforms, and even more so on closed source like Citrix/Lime/RedHat, who claim to support the 'vast majority of graphics cards', but when you read between the lines you quickly find out it's limited to NVidia GRID/Quadros. Pic related is Citrix

Attached: Citrix.png (979x1296, 135K)

Attached: 1444148371697.png (625x626, 149K)

ESXi. Ignore one recommending type two hypervisors

VirtualBox for personal, Hyper-V for something industrial-strength.

BOXES ANYTHING ELSE IS SUICIDE TIER.

I like virtualbox for personal use and university projects.

What's wrong with using VMware?

If you want to meme passthrough get proper AMD GPU (some of the are shit/defective like my MSI, just look through my posts on /fglt/) and vtd vtx amdv CPU. Use KVM/QEMU. Also don't being a RAMlet

Attached: 1534808621350.jpg (1281x854, 77K)

this, or try virtualbox

you forgot the incredibly dubious and misleading posts on forums by braindeads about
>AMD-V
>AMD-VI
>Intel VT-d
>Intel VT-x
I've done PCI-passthrough successfully in the past and like you heard about everything but that SR-IOV.

hyperV(windows) or virtual box(mac/linux)

>qemu/kvm
anyone who recommends this piece of shit software should die. you have to dig really old and shitty documentation to work that shit, took me a fucking week to create a vm

wow. are you seriously wasting your time doing... that?

>week to create a vm
just use virtmanager senpai why are you such a loser holy crap

You've probably used it before without noticing though. Your NIC already supports SR-IOV. That's why both your host and all VMs can use the same NIC at the same time.
With SR-IOV on GPUs we would be able to use a single GPU on the host and multiple VMs at the same time. The only problem is that there are no consumer GPUs available with SR-IOV so for now people still need a second GPU for passthrough.
If you're talking about workstation it would be because it's a piece of crap tier 2 hypervisor. Updates can be painfully slow and it broke often enough due to them not supporting recent things. Hell, when Debian 9 was released it was already too new for the Workstation version at that time which is ridiculous since Debian isn't on the bleeding edge at all. Also if you allocate all your cores to a VM the VM can choke your host for resources like no ones business. I've had a Windows VM bring down my host ones due to it stealing all CPU time.
>people shouldn't use the best hypervisor and should settle for a shitty alternative because I don't understand it
Might it have occurred to you that some people learned to use intricate things? Some people here learned to use it because they could and others learned it professionally. You're not going to tell us that F1 drivers should switch to normal cars because you can't drive an F1 car next right?

Depends on what you want.

ESXi for Type 1.
VMware or QEMU for Type 2 is probably your best bet, but VirtualBox is okay if you're just fucking around with an OS or not doing anything serious.

If you're on macOS and want Windows integration, then look at Parallels.

Install AQEmu or VirtManager