Ok Jow Forumsoyim, let's be honest. Hard I.T. careers are pretty much dead...

Ok Jow Forumsoyim, let's be honest. Hard I.T. careers are pretty much dead. System and Network engineering is being automated away faster than you can say EC2, and consequently to manage their infrastructure companies really only want coders that they can teach infrastructure, not infrastructure people that need to learn to code.

So those guys are currently flooding into Security and forensics. The entry level for security related careers is completely fucked.

Is there anything in I.T. that isn't primarily coding that has a bright future?

Attached: spence_stache.jpg (1019x959, 177K)

Why don’t you just learn to program :^)

I can program better than you ;^)

Thats not the question. Try to stay on topic.

If you call yourself an infrastructure person and can't write any code then you're not an infrastructure person.

>Is there anything in I.T. that isn't primarily coding that has a bright future?

management. get an MBA and climb that ladder.

That's cool. Wanna answer the question?

>mfw someone answers the question

How many people have an MBA in tech and what does it do for your career?

Attached: 1510015811131.gif (376x250, 3.83M)

>flooding into Security and forensics
perhaps for "please change your password"-tier positions, but security research (e.g. vulnerability discovery, malware analysis, hardware/software reverse engineering, formal verification) has a massive shortage of good people

>companies really only want coders that they can teach infrastructure, not infrastructure people that need to learn to code.
Jokes on them, neither know to code.

The premise to your question is flawed because almost everyone in IT doing any specialized work should know how to code. It's not an esoteric thing anymore. It's taught to 13 year olds in school all over the country.

How much schooling or training is necessary for someone to get an entry-level position in one of those areas?

No, you are just completely missing the point and trying to cover it up. Your snarky answer failed to answer the question, either answer it or sage and hide.

>reverse engineering

wtf, I was told not to even bother getting into that. They said they required like a math phd or don't even bother.

security researchers typically have a masters degree in CS and/or a shitton of personal experience with taking stuff apart and doing CTFs.

As for training related to certs, I know there is the GREM exam. It seems to me that the higher up you go in "prestige" in security jobs, the less employers care about certs and more about your experience

you'll need a solid grasp of theoretical CS and the associated math if you're going for the more formal side of reverse engineering. but you don't need any math higher than arithmetic to take apart some crackme challenges

I would argue that being sociable, having strong networking skills, and a base level technical competency would serve you just as well. I'm in the minority, but most CTOs or Directors don't know programming, nor do they really have to. At some point up the management latter, the management aspect of your role is more important than the technical aspect, and you start acting as the gatekeeper between tech and business. Keep in mind though that the management track really is a different career than strictly IT, even if you're still working with IT.

Now all that being said, if you don't want to at least pick up some scripting or basic programming, you're going to have a rough time getting at a higher level in strictly IT. The sysadmin and network admin roles will continue to change, and you're better off using those skills to augment another role, such as sales, consulting, programming (dev ops), or management.

I'm at a reputable university (Canada) for computer engineering. How fucked am I?

I have a bachelors in Information Systems. Can I do a masters in CS and get into these fields? Does the university itself matter?

I'm a sysadmin right now and at this moment at least I can say you have at least another good 10 years of your average IT job

If you can use ansible, terraform, Prometheus, et c you're pretty much just gonna keep doing sysadmin stuff but most of your time will be spent planning and less running around doing retard shit, however seeing as pretty much everyone I've met neglects best practices who really knows

Spencer looks breddy gud with a stache desu famalam

Poly? You'll be fine because of the French.

Is it just going to reach a point where employers are going to look for jack of all trades to throw at problems that can't be Pajeet'd, ai'd, or automanaged?

You just need to know how to count in hex if you're running radare. OR you could be a complete tool and use ida pro.