Nvidia Ray Tracing is FRAUD

Look at this screenshot from Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, which was released in 2016. It has both realistic shadows and reflections.

Fuck you Nvidiot

Attached: 337000_20180731044157_1.jpg (3840x2160, 1.16M)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/CasualEffects/status/1031608176318341120
youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=mlKGctu7OC8
youtu.be/00gAbgBu8R4
youtube.com/watch?v=fAiai0fCBOw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Here's another screenshot. Flawless reflections.

Fuck you Nvidiot

Attached: 337000_20170928025810_1.jpg (2560x1440, 650K)

more flawless reflections and no raytracing meme was used.

GeForce RTX = snake oil

Attached: 337000_20180728231000_1.jpg (3840x2160, 1.01M)

There's nothing realistic about any of these screenshots.

Another clueless retard who has no idea what raytracing is, lovey.

These cards a scam, but you're a fucking retard.

>Unrealistic soft shadows and a completely non-functional mirror just shitting back a hyper low res cubemap

Dumbass

neither was the 12fps Nvidiot demos

Ray tracing = meme, and all the twitch streamers who were sponsored (read: paid) to stream the event on their channels ate the marketing bullshit and buzzwords without a second thought.

There's a reason why Jensen Huang vomited technical shit for over an hour. he literally had to tell the audience when to clap ffs

Now here is a raytracing render

Attached: B.jpg (2000x1125, 2.55M)

>flawless reflections
>clearly the same low res reflection map being used on every surface

>realistic shadows
>same fucked up fake depth buffer SSAO we see in every game that puts weird silhouettes over everything

also
>still no refraction on the glass surface
biggest flaw in polygon renderers that will never be solved

>There's a reason why Jensen Huang vomited technical shit for over an hour

Because the function of raytracing is an entirely technical system of photomapping?

Long long story, game developer need design every shadow,ligth and reflection on scene.

Raytrace effect are automagic.

Usually design level avoid design level had complex ligth conditions, this made raytrace don’t get full potential until consoles had it.

>>There's a reason why Jensen Huang vomited technical shit for over an hour.

Because Nvidia have done something nobody else has even come close to?

Attached: 337000_20180728224759_1.jpg (3840x2160, 1.2M)

You can literally see the dozens of spotlights they've added to make it look anywhere near realistic, which it doesn't.

t. Nviidot

he didn't show any benchmarks and he measured the "8 times more performance than 1080ti" in RTX-OPS (a made up meme name)

Attached: 337000_20180731045251_1.jpg (3840x2160, 2.66M)

Nvidia made a mistake not making every 2000 series cards Ray Tracing capable.

Now developers will half-ass this Ray Tracing meme because only 5% of gamers will have 2070 and above.

Now imagine if even the 2050 and 2060 had RTX technologies. Then Developers would focus exklusively on Ray Tracing for their future games because that would be the future.

>NVIDIA knew that "build it and they will come" wouldn't work for revolutionary tech, so there's been teamwork with game devs for over a year to get titles and engines ready for the new GPUs and APIs. I hope other GPU vendors will deploy solutions quickly so rays are pervasive.

Nvidia just nuked AMD approach.
twitter.com/CasualEffects/status/1031608176318341120

Looks like fucking shit. There are like 20 lights in that scene and yet only one shadowmap which contrasts horribly with the baked lighting.

I would actually buy the 2080 Ti if it could handle such graphics in 4K60 FPS. But it won't.

Raytracing is possible on the older cards too, but with higher impacts. ME:Andromeda is a good example, you can turn it off in the console almost doubling the FPS, though the game itself is shit anyway.
Yes, they didn't release a single real 4K benchmark yet. I don't care about "RTX", it will be supported in only a few titles I don't play. I care if this card can give me a performance boost that could justify its immense price. I doubt.

But we saw it in games. If devs don't want to use it I'll play games on console.

I refuse to buy SJWFIELD 5 though. Metro should be great.

It won't. Just remember PhysX. RTX will likely enter a similar market position. Like Hairworks.

Cant compare backed in lighting to real time ray tracing
It aint the same forumla

Ray tracing will be the future but I do agree its a gimmick at the moment to sell GPUs

Dont expect huge gains in non ray traced(everygame currently)
25% for each model at most
If the RTX engine is what they say it is it will have a big impact on games using actual ray tracing.
Lets just hope its not a fake software version

>It won't. Just remember PhysX

Completely incomparable example.

PhysX required devs to intentionally create effects to use it, if they wanted grenades that throw thousands of little metal pieces around they needed to make that entirely for it to happen.

Raytracings is a light effect, UE4 is implementing the DXR Nvidia is using into the engine. Devs don't need to intentionally work to make it happen on every light source, it's effectively automatic. Drop a standard UE4 Point Light or Env Light into the scene and it will be ray traced if you have the setting enabled.

This proves nothing. Your gay ass screen shot looks like shit and you're a fucking troglodyte.

baked*

Not really comparable, once hardware catches up raytracing is going to be a much simpler and easier solution to lighting engines in games. the problem right now is that hardware can't into raytracing, it's too demanding to render. I do agree that what nvidia is advertising right now is shitty compromise-driven ray tracing, but in 5-10 years it may amount to something worthwhile. The problem is still that we haven't even cracked consistent 4k60fps on a single card yet, but want to advertise a rendering solution that is way more intensive than the shit we use now.

literally a brainlet who has no idea what he is talking about

Attached: 1534818402441.jpg (1080x1080, 114K)

Yes, it may be a thing, but in 5-10 years when cards are powerful enough.

Look, even fucking Fortnite has more realistic shadows than Nvidia Ray Trace meme

Attached: 2018-07-27 06_33_16.jpg (1920x1080, 398K)

>no penumbra is realistic

Attached: 1534817750559.png (636x915, 827K)

This is the power raytrace
youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=mlKGctu7OC8

>Nvidia made a mistake not making every 2000 series cards Ray Tracing capable.
not everyone wants to have some bloated gamer shit in their gpu

/thread

youtu.be/00gAbgBu8R4

Ray tracing is a fucking meme atm. Anyone not notice in the picture that TEXTURES actually look clean unlike modern games? Can we get higher res textures before fucking ray tracing

Attached: 2E44FAFD-7BBB-4773-BBAC-AF90E84E4B5A.jpg (1242x1349, 744K)

DELETE THIS IMAGE IMMEDIATELY. THERE'S NO WAY THIS IMAGE EXISTS. OH WHAT HAVE YOU BROUGHT UPON THE WORLD.

Did anyone use raytracing since the amiga demo scene in the early 90s ?
/thread

>it's an OP confuses good aesthetics with good technology episode

Step one: get PC gamers onto the OS that actually allows for these extensions to be used

>Being so retarded that you can't tell the difference between all the different techniques that have been used to do reflection in games for years

Now for the next 3 years we have to listen to people who have no idea how much better ray tracing actually is and how it is fundamentally different from rasterisation.

Yeah, the AO around that towel lookssuper realistic.

faggot.

OP is correct and Jow Forums is butthurt.

SO WE INVERSE RAY TRACING WE ARE TRACING RAYS THROUGH THE EYE THERES NO REASON TO TRACE THE LIGHT IN TRIANGLES WHEN YOURE REFLECTIONS
AND THATS BECAUSE OF OUR GIGAJIGGARAYS PER SECOND
BUT THEN OF THE TEN BOXES OF TEN BOXES I CAN IGNORE THE ONE BOX WITH THE OTHER BOX IS ANOTHER TEN SMALL BOXES OF MY TEN TEN EIGHTY TEA EYE BOXES OF TEN BOXES WITH BOXES OF TRIANGLES AND BOUNDING BOXES SO WE KNOW WHAT BOUNDING BOXES SO WHICH ONE OF THE TRIANGLES IS IT
ITS VERY QUICK MATHS
WHICH IS REALLY REALLY HARD PARALLELISM WHERE WE CREATE INCOHERENT THINGS AT THE SPEED OF LIGHT
GOD THIS IS HEAVY DEEP LEARNING

Attached: 1534795878209.png (1199x773, 559K)

graphics programmer here
you can do most things you can do with raytracing with normal rasterization, but raycasting makes graphics immensely easier to program than all the hacks you have to do to draw in raster so games will be easier to develop (that is if raytracing is fast enough to use completely without raster)
also means sharper graphics and better anti-aliasing

Yeah, there's plenty of things they can do to speed up or improve current rendering with them and once the hardware is in place, the software will follow. It's a different type of improvement to graphics this time around, but it's still probably here to stay.

Screenspace reflections. Look at the BFV trailer to see the difference between screenspace, cubemap and proper raytraced reflections.

This is something that is more exciting to developers than consumers. The only visual effect you can really show off are better reflections, which honestly isn't that interesting. If the hardware is powerful enough, it should mean an end to the era of muddy, post-processed anti-aliasing

What's wrong with the towel, besides you clearly being an autist?

It's not realistic, idiot. Look at the fucking shadows.

partial raytracing with diffusion is quite bearable for it's early stage

Nice looks almost as good as the first Crysis.

Only works for static baked lights. Gaymer manchildren belong on /v/

brainlets don't realize that rasterization (how modern video games render graphics) and real time ray tracing are fundamentally different things.

correct me if I am wrong. But I believe ray tracing algorithms will produce faithful reproductions of reality but are so computationally expensive that the algorithms focus on good looking approximations. In contrast rasterization isn't realistic so you have to make separate algorithms for specific light / material / object interactions because they aren't modeled after how light works in reality.

This literally looks the same as the last game.
We have officially peaked in 2015

>cubemap
>flawless
You clearly don't understand shit about this.
And in multiple cases the point of ray tracing is to reduce the artist's job so they don't have to use tricks like in your bullshot to make it look good.

Also screen space reflexion... nuff said.

>he actually thinks those are realistic
I guess this is what happens when you play games all the time instead of seeing the outside world.

Of course it would look the same. GPUs were produced like a month ago, there's no way someone could make a game utilizing this raytracing meme if it was actually (((hardware accelerated))).
Huang just fooling everybody like usual.

Exactly Fuck sake everyone's gonna get ripped off can't wait till rtx glitches and runs like shit and support for it gets dropped faster than all their other basedworks crap

thats what gameworks was all about

nvidia programmers get it into the game for the devs in exchange for the massive free ad

i wonder if the controversy behind the creator of the frostbite that left EA has anything to do with this...

why do you want a GPU if you aren't a gaymer?

>Ray tracing will be the future but I do agree its a gimmick at the moment to sell GPUs

not really ray tracing is still not getting any traction at all mainly because all of the gfx engines are jumping out for engines like viewport EEVEE and such..
you have to remember ray tracing is almost 20 years old and still we dont have the horsepower to actually make a game use in its full glory
thats why nvidia didnt showcase a single demo that was OUTSIDE below trees or inside a massive city...
because then they gonna have to pretend that the dynamic lighting system of star citizen doesnt exist..which you know its absurd

Why dont you run from your Intel iGPU then? Why do you fucking care?

pretty much
instead of having all these complicated techniques for anti-aliasing, reflections, shadows, ambient occlusion, you can just do it all in one simple raycast operation
but I'm interested how powerful the hardware is, if raycasting is just another technique we're throwing ontop of the already too complicated raster rendering pipeline I'm not sold on it

what the fuck is viewport EEVEE?

YOU WANT TO KEEP YOUR ABS TIGHT

essentially real time rendering of basicly everything
youtube.com/watch?v=fAiai0fCBOw

Raytracing will be the new tesselation. Zero visual quality improvement but Nvidia will pay devs to use it through goyimworks just to cripple AMD owners (and schmucks who have their previous gen cards, they already have your money though so who gives a shit).

STEALING MY JIGGARAYS

can you tell me without me having to watch an 8 minute video of things I already know?

That's not remotely realistic. I rarely say this, but fuck off to /v/

so basically eevee is blenders raster renderer? what the fuck does that have to do with anything?

Of course it is, it's a retarded meme to take away from the fact that they're charging double the price for something which looks like it's only going to have a 20% (or less) performance increase.

They've literally just slapped on a cheap ASIC for raytracing and are charging double for it.

I think this thread is bait.

/v/tards don't know difference between raster and raytrace.

What's next, videobooks?

Tessellation is great, it's just than nvidia cheated on rendering stupid amount of it (like 64x) but payed devs to put this stupid amounts in the game so for game to run properly you had to limit tesselation to 8x in driver settings (because AMD didn't cheat and unless you limited it the card would struggle with 64x invisible tessellation bullshit), also in nvidia sponsored games they put tessellation on invisible or flat surfaces and since nvidia knew this they ignored it.
It doesn't make tessellation itself bad.

Tessellation is a very superflourous tech
unlike raytracing

It looks like shit, the lighting is extremely inaccurate.

T. Video game artist

>superflourous
The fuck
Tessellation when used properly greatly reduces the number of polygons effectively transferring workload from CPU to GPU. It is extremely useful in our timeline where CPU development stagnates while GPUs performance increases by 20-40% each generation, and also enables more precise graphics tweaking for hi-end and lo-end hardware.
But I didn't expect from /v/-kid like you to understand anyway.

I am a graphics programmer
The CPU does not need to inspect every triangle. All it does is need to pass them in a batch to VRAM. This hasn't been a bottleneck for like 10 years. Which is why tesselation is superfluous

>also means sharper graphics and better anti-aliasing
What nvidia presented is the exact opposite, a blurry vaseline smeared """quality"""

just because you can doesn't mean they did
I don't think they have the power to do fully anti-aliased raycasting yet

Will add to the copypasta, forgot he said that.

poo in the looo pajeet

>proven wrong with facts
>incoherent accusations of being indian

These look super fake, especially if you look at the difference between buildings and the night sky. Fuck off AMD shill.

> MFW, RTX 2xxx are just Turing rejects with meme-tracing acceleration that is only useful for prosumers/professionals.

>MFW, meme Jow Forumsaymers are just subsisting professional/prosumers market the R&D costs for Turing silicon.

>Turing is really just a graphical orientated cousin of Volta.

Attached: 1276385695282.png (800x750, 301K)

>Turing
>Volta
Not even sure about this. When they announced Quadro RTX 8000, they said it has 4608 CUDA cores and 576 Tensor cores, clearly indicating it's Volta + meme tracing.
When they announced gaming cards they didn't say a thing about Tensor cores which means it's highly likely another maxwell rebrand.

>4608 CUDA cores and 576 Tensor cores, clearly indicating it's Volta + meme tracing
The tensor cores are what's handling the raytracing. It's AI driven. The card doesn't actually perform all the calculations; it does some of them and guesses the rest.

>When they announced gaming cards they didn't say a thing about Tensor cores which means it's highly likely another maxwell rebrand.
No, I think it means that the 2080 Ti is cut down more severely than originally thought and Nvidia is pretending the tensor cores are CUDA cores. That's probably why no gaming was shown off, since the performance one would expect from 4300 CUDA cores or whatever they're claiming probably isn't there.

Aren't tensor cores virtual though? Having 4608 CUDA cores and 576 Tensor cores doesn't mean you can use them simultaneously, 1 tensor core is 8 cuda cores combined. There is no way you can justify adding them together.

>this broken english

AMD doesn't release any good GPUs, but they sure do deploy their pajeet squad on time.

Raytracing has been hyped up alot. I remember reading an article about something where they were tackling with getting the reflections realistic, but raytracing would fix that. It's just a minor detail, yet it takes so much potential from your processing power, i think it's gonna be proven to be flawed and overestimated in the long run.

Wow, it sure does

im calling it now

the actual games wont have a shred of ray tracing on them
only the canned benchmarks on a confined place will
and that on a DP

Your point being...?