Just gonna leave this here

Just gonna leave this here...

Attached: VIm-vs-Emacs-1024x576.png (1024x576, 57K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/deviantfero/.emacs.d
medium.com/0xcc/visual-studio-code-silently-fixed-a-remote-code-execution-vulnerability-8189e85b486b
code.visualstudio.com/License/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

emacs can do everything that vim can do and more

I don't want my text editor to do more. Emacs makes me feel like the wrong keypress may brick my system.

Kakoune > All

Attached: kakoune.png (262x262, 38K)

This

autistic manchildren, get off my board

The only good thing about vim are the keybindings, which nowadays you can easily use in emacs and some IDEs.

Only a faggot h4xx0r larper would actually program in a vim terminal instance, beyond fiddling with short scripts and the like.

>not using joe

Only boomers with a superiority complex use vim or emacs. Always talking about muh productivity.

Says the guy who is so autistic that he must use everything with the same keybinds and one program because different is scary

idk what you're even on about you retarded faggot, all of you make $0 and have free to to complain about software because you can't write your own

kill yourselves and never ever ever come back here

at this point i don't even know what's worse, zoomers using vscode/atom/sublime or the boomers using vim/emacs

the best ones are the people who dont give a shit and acknowledge that getting quick in one editor defeats the point of learning another just to get slightly faster, ne is nice btw and purity is cool

But I'm at work right now, waiting for the project to compile

>he thinks a 9-5 is making money
hahahahahahahahahaha

>moving the goalposts

Not fucking using sam.
Sam and Acme are literally the best editors.
They don't have positioning keys code because they control with the mouse. They have ed commands, so you can learn to sed and ed from it. They are also minimalistic as hell

Forgot a >
One keypress in vim and you can fuck up the whole document. The documentation is rate shit and it doesn't document custom keybinds

>One keypress in vim and you can fuck up the whole document.
This is pure fucking autism
u
>Oh that was a fucking hard fix

Does Vim have an org mode? If not it's utter trash. Emacs has users that aren't programmers too. I often take notes in emacs of books I'm reading. I prefer Geany if I'm doing some light programming. But I sure do miss those ctrl+b/p/n/f shortcuts to move around the screen. Swapping ctrl for caps lock makes emacs god-tier.

Attached: 1533066621544.gif (350x412, 437K)

>Boohoo meme made peepee poopoo cuz against my openion
>Comparing a shit ed bloat with an autodocumenting editor that has a vi mode builtin

Yes, there are plugins for it.
>Swapping ctrl for caps lock makes emacs god-tier.
Swapping esc for caps lock makes vim god-tier.

I'm not sure being "minimalistic as hell" is a good reason for extra wrist strain

What makes it god tier? Isn't that hard to reach

I mean using caps as exc

Wait, does the led light up and light down when i complete the chord?

Attached: Deep_fried_Questioning_emoji.png (512x512, 141K)

If you swap the keys, no. My caps light does come on when i tap the esc button though, because it enables caps.

>I don't want my text editor to do more.
That's some sour grapes you have there.

Haha, Vim plugins are a joke compared to Emacs.

>I don't want my text editor to do more.
Then go use vi. Then you'll realize that you actually do want features and you got Stockholm Syndrome'd into Vim's particular limited subset of features.

I've never got the hype for org mode. I just write shit into a text document and consult that. I don't have the need to format with dates and times and stuff

>Haha, Vim plugins are a joke compared to Emacs.
You're right. You dont need vim plugins, vim is perfect as is.

The best thing about it, for me, is the headings. You can make collapsible headings and sub headings using *
And you can move those around freely. Not to mention making lists with TODO or DONE so you can keep track of them. If you need tables, you can make those easily as well.

Did you look at its codebase? Unmaintainable.

>what is NeoVim?

>Rewriting a shit editor to make it less shit but it stays shit anyway

I just can't decide between emacs and vim. I think that both are god tier editors but I just hate vim plugins. I also like lisp.

Attached: emacs.jpg (654x368, 56K)

Neovim is more of an emacs clone than it is a vim clone.
Neovim tries to do vim tasks the emacs way....that's why it's more versatile and has more features

Impying a nigger could use emacs

can it open an empty file in under three (3) second?

and yet it is superior to emacs in every way because it doesn't try to implement an operating system just to edit text

Ofc.
And it can do it even faster.
Emacs can be even configured to run as a service so it's user startup time can be instantaneous.
But that's not where it shines.
Emacs can parse files and build the file structure faster than vim.
You see the default vim and emacs file parsing algorithm build either a linear data structure or a simple tree to hold the elements of the file.
Emacs however can be configured to parse a file and store the data in different data structures so when you open a large file or a huge project searching for functions or checking for syntax errors becomes as trivial as if the file was a few hundred lines.

That just being dumb and believing the memes.
Emacs doesn't implement os features.
The only added s/w stack that emacs has and it's unrelated to editing is the interface.
Emacs has its own buffer for drawing buttons windows e.t.c. because it needs to have a consistency between all platforms and mostly on terminals.
The terminal version of vim uses hacks to replicate the interface, that's why emacs is in a more maintainable state than vim.

Other than that emacs supports a fully featured programming language and people have gone very creative on it.
You can't do the same on vimscript.

>Ofc.
>And it can do it even faster.
show me proof. vim opens instantly and emacs takes seconds just to load.

Use Emacs in server mode.

How's text wrapping in vim? I've been using nano for years for small edits and configuration but when I write some essay or stuff it makes me want to yeet my computer out the window because the softwrap setting is half-functioning.

i like emacs keybinding

Emacs is great operating system lacking only a decent text editor.

nano beats all, fight me

you're fucking retarded

Attached: Selection_143.png (429x336, 198K)

How utterly incompetent do you have to be to not change the default bindings?

I just use gedit and geany.

autism lmao imagine practicing your vim keyboard shortcuts like it;s some sorta video game just so you can feel like 1337 hackerman and fit in with the 40 year old linux neckbeards
inb4 1 of you manchildren starts talking about >muh productivity as if your terminal based text file editor is actually better than intellij finishing my sentences for me and generating hella code with a mouse click or refactoring 20 source files in 1 key stroke

imagine being proficient at the tool you use daily

Attached: Selection_138.png (888x897, 360K)

spacemacs > both

Mindless work breeds simple minds. Why would you not want to learn/improve on your existing skills while you work?

yeah man let me just go ahead and waste hours of my time to become """proficient""" at vim so I can install and tweak the 500 plugins required to get half the features my real IDE has out of the box

simple minds are brainlets like yourself who just want to play around with their tools rather than getting real work done

nah don't worry, just stick to phpStorm

Attached: phpTralse.png (789x191, 15K)

wat I don't even use php

you have the php mindset, that's all that matters

Attached: :^).gif (255x255, 520K)

i use NEdit for a gui text editor

and if i have to edit something from a text mode console i use nano or midnight commander's built in text editor

but if i had to choose between vi (vim) or emacs i would use vim

I can play online chess in emacs, cant do that with vim.

In all honesty I recently started using emacs just to see whats up with it and it might be more than I need. Vim seems to be a sweet spot of functionality and proficiency. Plus it loads instantly whereas emacs takes 2 seconds (almost zero plugins).

>autodocumenting editor
what does that even mean?

I have swaped ctrl for caps and I am not even using Emacs

I use ed

$ emacs --daemon
$ emacsclient /path/to/file
urxvt and kakoune may also be used as client/server

I use a magnified needle and a steady hand

LOL. I know Emacs can be intimidating at first, but it has a tutorial, and starting off you only need to rememeber the most important three or four key combinations. Everything else you can ask Emacs with the built in help system.

When there were just Emacs and Vi, I could have gone either way. Vi isn't exactly intuitive either. But our introductory course in programming at the university featured Scheme, a Lisp dialect, and so customizing and programming Emacs came as easy as can be. And it feels super comfy having all the stuff you'd want at the tips of your fingers. Sometimes, when I have a huge data file and something to do that's more complex than a regexp replace, I program that in Emacs in a minute or two.

quickfix list

But I use vim keys in my ide, too. Also, you learn as you go. Just like any tool

Kate is the best

Attached: kate.png (540x295, 82K)

Based.

I use emacs for server mode.
I unironically run emacs as a systemd service.
I just like having multiple windows open that can all access the same buffers.
Still use evil mode tho.

nothing wrong with evil mode

I use nano :^)

Careful there buster, your anger might make visual studio crash. Also any software developer worth his degree is going to have experience using both emacs and vim. Maybe you should go back to coding boot camp.

>doing this
Don't. Emacs isn't vim and that's not how you should use it.

lol, vim takes longer

Attached: vim-emacs-2018-08-21_09.48.53.webm (628x520, 1.29M)

What does that have to do with vim? Many people use Emacs in server mode.

Can i have your emacs dotfiles, pretty please?

Attached: 1484983218349.jpg (640x853, 133K)

Many people who do have switched from vim and are using it a such. It makes emacs a worse version of vim with lisp instead of vimscript. You aren't taking advantage of what emacs has to offer by just treating it like some thin text editor.

And how does server mode exactly reduce Emacs to just being a 'thin text editor?'

>ITT: noobs fighting about which editor is best for fizzbuzz

Stop use emacs

>I don't code so no one else does

It encourages you to use it as one. Emacs should really only be opened once per work session.

>i'm a student and so is everybody else

pretty basic stuff

github.com/deviantfero/.emacs.d

that's exactly what server mode is user, open emacs ONE time, as a service, just keep opening clients

I don't see a reason why my buffers shouldn't be shared across all sessions, I opened emacs, once... at startup

You can still have multiple buffers and be in one session. I can understand if you're using multiple monitors need several ttys open (one example what ec was actually made for) but using ec just so you can use it like vim defeats the purpose of using emacs entirely.

>Perfect emacs and vim emulation
>Actually good

Attached: vscode.png (225x225, 2K)

Attached: Sublime_Text_3_logo.png (256x256, 13K)

>perfect vim and emacs emulation
That's very cute

>Not really open source. Binaries released on the website are proprietary.
>telemetry that cannot be fully disabled
>sends back the files you are working on to microsoft when it crashes editing something
>vim emulation actually sucks ass, not even nearly complete.
>try pressing u in vim mode. It will undo WAY more than expected and more than ctrl+z does, often the entire file.
>Uses over 500MB of RAM because it uses electron
>Contained a critical vulnerability that allowed any website your visiting while running vscode to execute code on your machine.

medium.com/0xcc/visual-studio-code-silently-fixed-a-remote-code-execution-vulnerability-8189e85b486b

Spoken like a true gamer

Creator by day, gaymer by night as Saint Linus puts it. May God bring him to His Holy Glory

Attached: editor.webm (1920x1072, 831K)

>should
According to who? It works better for me that way as I prefer Emacs keybindings and its Lisp extensibility. Moreover I don't need to have any terminals/windows open when I don't need it.

>Binaries released on the website are proprietary
what did he mean by this?

What I mean is that while most of VSCode's source is open and available on github, when you go to the VSCode website and download it, the download is a proprietary microsoft product which is partially based on the open source code. This is similar to Chrome, where by Chromium is open source, but Chrome, which is based on Chromium, is not.

I understand the difference between chrome and chromium, but can you pls provide sauce on the difference between the VScode on the repo and the downloads from their website?

Sure, here is the license that the VSCode download uses:
code.visualstudio.com/License/

It is a standard microsoft license, at the top notice it says:
This license applies to the Visual Studio Code product. The source code is available under the MIT license agreement. Additional license information can be found in our FAQ.

So the source code on github is licensed under MIT (free and open source), but the installer they provide is actually just a proprietary Microsoft product.