Alternative internet?

Is the current internet already as good as it can potentially be? My buddy who is a network engineer has been trying to get me invested in this "new internet" project that he says is designed for faster package forwarding and is compatible with the current internet. Dude is even calling for it to eventually put ISPs out of business.

Pic is the device he has - apparently every Tom, Dick and Harry can install one like this at home and connect to each other.

Thoughts?

Attached: photo_2018-04-27_19-22-19.jpg (813x813, 117K)

And let me guess, you can put apart of this new "revolution" for a small lump sum "investment" amount?

Skycoin is for gullible faggots.

>LEDs
dropped

the investment here is to build these DIY systems. And then if you do the service, which is providing internet, you'll earn one way or another. Guess that's basically it

I'm skeptical about skycoin too but this is skywire and it seems to be something else. Quite surprised it's that popular out of the crypto circle though.

Any comment on the technical side of things?

Skycoin is just the crypto associated with Skywire.

Hardly an alternative when it depends on the underlying infrastructure of the Internet

THIS

oh no it doesnt

So I can use it without an active Internet connection and the data will magically be routed from my home to its destination without going through any cable or other equipment that's part of the Internet? If no, then it's just a separate network operating on top of the Internet

yes that's how it's supposed to work. You put their customized antenna on the roof of your house and beam the signal to the house in the next neighborhood that has the antenna also. Your neighbors can connect through your router. So it's all wireless and it can operate separately.

so a mesh network

hmm apparently so, I didnt know this term before. Is there any good mesh network already been operating and why arent they more popular yet?

its more like. Skywire, using mpls does not care what it is connecting over. So while at first you more or less depend on the internet, there will be a progressive growth of Skywire that is driven by it's built in financial incentives. Some years down the road, your local town meshnet will be pretty dense, you run a company that operates a colo node, one of thousands around the world. Skywire is popular with small businesses, but 90% of people have never used it, this too will come with time.

Because it's a meme and people don't want to be liable for other people uploading CP.

i remember coming on Jow Forums a couple months ago asking why arent we trying to build wiremesh networks, I got called a retard for asking that question but later googled it and apparently the issue seems to be one of lack of funding going into research.
i cant remember he specific issues but from the literature it doesnt seem to be super serious that couldnt be othercome its just an issue with research and development, as celluar networks pretty much operate in a mesh like format.

Youll need some autistic Telecom engineers to help build out these projects, as its not for the average lay person who doesnt even know about multiplexing and bandwidth allocation and the calculus that goes along with it.

ignore this idiot dude isnt forward thing and when wire meshes become more normal will be the first to say how cool it is

makes sense. but what if:
>governments lose control or some dont care
or
>governments can track CP uploaders via a better way
and
>those who run these network are incentivized because they can make a business out of it

>celluar networks pretty much operate in a mesh like format.
that's a great point, that's why I'm more interested than I am skeptical about this

lol I appreciated his input though

im a believer than the future is decentralized. Everything is decentralized music,gaming,art,information tech, culture etc..

Mesh networks exist in the real world. They are unincentivized, limited in scope, but have proved valuable to their communities. How is it any different than the conventional internet in regards to cp, user? The posting of end-user driven content is tolerated even now. CP is posted on social media from time to time. To what extent are the companies that run these sites held liable for user posted content and how does this impact their business model? Just make sure to found an LLC to own and operate your Skywire exit node if you are planning on having one.

>all wireless
dropped

>all wireless
this is not all wireless, its agnostic to the communications medium. Mesh networks on local scale, connecting to others via existing fiber-optic infrastructure. In shithole countries, Skywire can rely on ham radio operators. If you want to run cable, run cable. What can be done will be done as the economic opportunities emerge.

lol, its a fucking plexiglass box with 4 rasppis in it, wtf is the point of the box, its retarded, you don't look cool putting the equivalent of 4 ancient smartphones in a box.

The internet is fine; it's the web that sucks.

Well I mean, what’s a better alternative to create a mesh network? The ras pi’s are fine for sending packets...

lol

Attached: file.png (669x588, 140K)

>he's a so cool, he said send packets and mesh network.
autism detected

So you're expanding the current WAN by mesh networks, which while they do circumvent ISPs introduce a lot of new hops, depending on who you want to reach.