I don't understand how ANY self-respecting programmer could ever work on Windows

The command line is an absolute disaster. Try echoing something and piping it to some other program. It interprets the space before the pipe.

Fuck me, I only touch this pos when helping somebody. I simply don't understand.

Attached: quote-c-makes-it-easy-to-shoot-yourself-in-the-foot-c-makes-it-harder-but-when-you-do-it-blows-bjarn (850x400, 60K)

using the command line isn't programming

Huh? There's a full fledged bash on windows.

I am a Linux fag, but I understand that with programming the tools matter, not the OS. Of course in my case Linux has better tools than Windows, but I am not a code monkey and I am not forced to work on Windows

>we had to add Linux to make Windows suck less
I accept your capitulation

>what is mingw
>what is linux subsystem
>what is powershell

both of the options you could use already come with the os, the other one being a 1 click installer

inb4 no package manager
>what is chocolatey?

> Linux subsystem
Having to use reverse Wine to make Windows usable. We've come full circle.

Sorry but Linux is already extinguished

>having more options is bad
There is literally anything wrong with Windows subsystem for Linux.

>who you are quoting?

nothing*
fucking auto-corrector

sure Steve, whatever you say Steve
just remember: it does the monkey boy and it gets the hose again

>Sorry but Linux is already extinguished
By hosting Linux in you OS?
LMAO

Visual studio, period

Op youre simply a closed minded fool. Program wherever

>hosting Linux
user, there is zero Linux in Windows.
Linux programs run natively on Windows. They run better than Windows programs do in Wine because the API surface is far smaller.
Embrace, Extend, Extinguish.

>I don't understand how ANY self-respecting programmer could ever work on Windows
I don't either. The environment is just not there.

It is programming. I think what you meant to say is that there are other types of programming besides shell scripting.

Nobody gives a shit about your dumb fuck opinions dude.

Attached: retard.jpg (200x200, 7K)

shell scripting shouldn't be called programming any more than a mcdonalds employee should call themselves a chef

>programming shouldn't be called programming
I'm going to just assume you are completely clueless about what shell scripting is or trolling.

cd code
cd..
cd..
cd..
cd ..
ls
cd code
cd ..
cd

I program on Windows.

Why? Because. That's why.

fpbp

PowerShell > any Linux shell.

There is literally nothing comfier than ReSharper

LOL.
And it's not even koding wednesday.

Customer has Windows. So the 3D model viewer and the server client have to run on windows. Everything else is for us to chose, and the choice is obviously Linux.

Yeah if you want to get 0 work done.

Pooshell is available in Linux too. It's such a garbage no one bothers.

The server (Linux) side does most of the work and it took about 1/8th of the time to implement.

No support for FUSE/Mounting remote filesystems. But I agree, WLS is still excellent.

how Windows install itself?
(technically, what does it actually do, probably it creates somekind of registry while installing)

how does the Windows registry even work in technical terms and is it inehrently better way than the linux way?

>Try echoing something and piping it to some other program. It interprets the space before the pipe.
You must be confused.

$ echo -n isa | ( read x; printf 'op%sfag\n' "$x" )
opisafag

Attached: op, op is a fag, cityrail train.jpg (720x960, 286K)

Is this a freudian auto-correction?

flipping burgers is cooking but you aren't a chef

back in my day we only had BASIC and we liked it

A shell script is a computer program designed to be run by the Unix shell, a command-line interpreter.[1] The various dialects of shell scripts are considered to be scripting languages. Typical operations performed by shell scripts include file manipulation, program execution, and printing text. A script which sets up the environment, runs the program, and does any necessary cleanup, logging, etc. is called a wrapper.

Yeah, for about a year or so. Then you realized if you wanted to get something out of that tiny machine, you had to buy a Z80 or 6500 assembler book.

No way is it better than in linux. True *nix programs use plain utf-8 files. Some tried to remake the registry in linux (gconf) but it sucks. The registry is located in C:\Windows\System32\Config\. They are separated by files to hives that contain options and settings. They can get corrupted and are inferior

The built in tools are worse but you can still add stuff to your path. gvim and Clang work excellent on windows so it's almost the same thing.