Gotten quite heavily into hash-cracking, dictionary generation, and password analysis...

gotten quite heavily into hash-cracking, dictionary generation, and password analysis. currently studying biotech so will do quite a bit of automated analysis of genomes and protein folding. mostly used python for babbys 1st scripting, but looking to improve efficiency.

C seems superior to Rust in test, but is it too much of a pain in the ass to use? I've found that most people who complain about langs being hard to use are brainlets who disregard basic functions of the language, so maybe C is fine?

Attached: what-the-lt-pointers-in-rust-40-638.jpg (638x359, 52K)

If you don't know C you can't understand why Rust is better.

>but saft

Rust isn't safe when everything it depends on is unsafe. The entire idea of Rust is to create an illusion that you are safe as a gimmick to sell the language. Meanwhile under the hood and every library you need to hook into is 100% unsafe.

>isolating the unsafe parts to a few instances has no value
Yeah because audits scale sublinearly right?

Avoid C as much as possible.
It's very difficult to write good C code.

Don't believe me?
Well, try to write a ROBUST "please enter two numbers" calculator. You'll realized how much gotchas the I/O has and it doesn't end here, oh no..

Personally I think Java is "fast enough" for most task todays. Computers get afster every year, so a computer with Java today is faster than a computer with C 10 years a go.

If you want to go fast you can also write Python and use C modules via FFI (foreign function interface).

Or if you desperately want to rice some low level shit, use C++.

Your best bets all around would be (in no order): pypy, java, go, rust
Personally I would do pypy simply because the ability to write regular python which can run in many different instances, but run via pypy when needed for serious crunching

so what would you recommend?

Java is a terrible language.

Why bother, when most number-crunching and efficiency-intensive python modules are written in C and similar languages anyway?

java stream api is a joy to use

If you're seriously a scifag, try APL or J and see the light. Free yourself from compsci hell as we can't free ourselves.

absolutely not, if you care at least a bit about future employability

>js
>python
>java

OP is probably underage though who thinks language choice has anything to do with engineering instead of being the textbook pleb separator of bikeshedders

but user said he was studying biotech, not software development. he wants to write efficient scripts, not get hired to develop user applications. please try to read the topic post next time.

Scientist here, you do not want to write your code in an unsafe language. I'm writing my code in scala because of the strong type system and jvm libs. This is fast enough by far. If you want to learn a well suited language I'd suggest something with strong static typing such as scala, haskell or ada.

Avoid C in all cases unless you want to learn, or you are absolutely 100% sure it's the correct language for your task.

Scientists writing shit to get work done can use whatever the fuck they want. The program is just a means to an end. The results are what matter.

as a developer in biotech none of our domain experts would touch any code, also, OP said pretty xe is into pretty much everything, also correctness and clear communication of ideas trumps efficiency which comes last in every famous quote about optimisation

ps we run on Java as most of the big data stacks anyway

>You'll realized how much gotchas the I/O has and it doesn't end here, oh no..
Wow, it's so fucking hard to read from stdin with fgets() to a fixed size buffer, then convert the string to an integer with strtol() and check for errors.

For a guy who talks big about clear communication your post sure is a grammatical trainwreck.

C seems fine when you think about the fact it runs nearly everything that matters

>fixed size buffer
Good luck when my huge penis goes beyond your buffer size and then you have to start trunking data to not lose your mind over the pleasure

The only place that matters is OPs workstation, so that's a moot point.

>not even tries to engage with superior arguments

lol, it was clear as a day, seeing even a retard like you can realize how much his pathetic little post is btfo

your entire OS is probably done in it.

OK, that still does not mean portability is a good argument for writing scientific code in C...

>scientific code
use julia or python

Why the fuck would you need a variable sized buffer to parse numbers from a limited range?
Anyway, you can either use a string library, or write a simple function to reallocate the buffer and read the characters if you're not a brainlet.

What the fuck are you talking about? You made no argument (except maybe "that's not the way weeee do it!") and I just pointed out your post is barely legible, as is this one.

Learn python as a start to get used to programming and to be able to script useful tasks.
Then learn C++, because thats what all modern biological research software is being written in at the moment.
>t. biology slave

Oh, and you'll be expected to be able to be able to do simple things in R to make figures. No way around this.